How to get a job at American Cancer Society.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

Do you work at American Cancer Society? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

"SOMEONE WITH INSIDE INFO" in Atlanta, Georgia

88 months ago

Host said: Do you work at American Cancer Society? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Go to www.cancer.org/jobs
Then apply

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

LawGuy77 in Denver, Colorado

46 months ago

I applied for a Community Affairs Manager position requiring a BA and at least 3 years experience. I more than qualified with both education and over double the amount of experience. You'd be surprised what my community liaison experience is and with what types of communities. Unfortunately, I somehow still didn't qualify for the position. One would think that I'd at least get in the door for an interview. I couldn't even get that far.

Frankly, if I was underqualified or just qualified I could understand the rejection but not in my position and not with my experience. I am going to have to chalk that one up as either the Colorado branch dislikes New Yorkers, doesn't want professionals that know how to work on their staff, advertised simply because of protocol, or had some inexperienced moron fill the position.

I'd rather work with a team of monkeys at the zoo than apply to the American Cancer Society again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

calipeach in Rialto, California

42 months ago

If you are passionate about working for ACS, do not give up. Make sure that you understand what an ACS Community Affairs Manager does. ACS community liaisons are often responsible for fundraising, education, PR, marketing, volunteer coordination and some corporate relations. An ideal candidate may have experience in all of these areas. If you have that base covered, it doesn't hurt to have a personal tie to cancer. In your coverletter and interviews do not hesitate to share why you want to irradicate Cancer. Also, try beginning as a volunteer. This may help overcome any issues with being a New Yorker that is not from the community. Volunteers with ACS hold a lot of responsibility. Community positions with ACS exist, in part, to empower volunteers to join the fight against cancer. Learning the job from the volunteer perspective is an excellent way to get in and hit happens very very very often. Becoming a volunteer is as easy as joining your local Relay for Life committee. They are always looking for dedicated and professional volunteers. Focus your energies on being an excellent volunteer who is willing to go above and beyond instead of focusing on landing a job. In the meantime, keep an eye out for opportunities. You will have a direct inside link through your Relay manager, and when a job becomes available do not hesitate to let him/her know that you are interested. So, get in the mix and you will have your foot in the door. Finally, although I think monkeys are amusing creatures, I would not prefer to work with them over the people I worked with at ACS. Attitude is everything at ACS. There are many high points, but there are some low points that come when people loose their fight or when the hours get painfully long. Positivity in your search will reflect your ability to be positive during the difficult times that come with working for this amazing organization.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.