What's the company culture at American Cancer Society?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at American Cancer Society?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at American Cancer Society?

Reply - Report abuse

A former ACS employee in Brookfield, Illinois

87 months ago

Although ACS can be extremely rewarding to work for (because of the survivors!), it is not a job I would recommend to anyone. You are expected to meet workplans that are sometimes ridiculous while being forced in training/brainwashing sessions, sometimes every week, but definitely at least once a month. These are usually overnight events. They try to brainwash you so you can explain to people where their money goes, when really it is going to pay for all the meetings, hotel rooms, salaries, gas, car rentals, food, etc. that you use each month. My expense report averaged over $2000 a month! It is disgusting to participate in a huge, extravagant 3 day meetings, but we were not allowed to give a patient the money to pay for a small co-pay on their much needed medication. I have even seen die-hard volunteers accept employment positions with ACS and then quit after a few months because of how appalled they are with how ACS is ran.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

lopez bonita in herrin, Illinois

75 months ago

I have found out that ACS is not as good as everyone believes also!
They are wading very heavy in the political arena everywhere and they have even stated they have the "POWER" to get what they want!!
If you go againest them beware they do and will find out and get you.
I was at one of the BIG meetings held in 2007 with thousands of "VOLUNTEERS" and the do chats, slide shows, and believe me the pass the buckets to draw the money out every chance they get. One was to pay for the BUS to drive across the U.S. to get the word out anouther to help get the new sail banners for Celebrate, Remember and fight back!
At $1,000 thats right one thousand dollars- apiece for each sail the ACS could not afford to purchase them for themselves!
But what what do they really purchase? You have to raise $100 one hundred dollars yourself to get a t-shirt that American Cancer Society Relay For life on it so there is their free ad right?
I must mention that Oh so important first sentence in any statement that is demanded to be on all media releases----You know the one--The American Cancer Society is the Nationwide Community-based voluntary Health organization dedicated to eliminating Cancer----and so on and so on right? I dare any of you that read this to try to find out just exactly how much those staff partners and office employees are paid at ACS and what their bennefits are or any of the CEO's--Good Luck with that.
I was told by a former ACS employee that when she left ACS employment she could not return to anything dealing with ACS or Relay For Life. She had quite for anouther job was not fired so what is up with that I ask?
I recently heard that a staff partner did not like a volunteer that was a survivor herself, that he did not want to work with her any longer so he would not put her on any committee. She had been a hard worker and did her jobs well and he had even told people that himself the volunteers say!
Is everyone scared to really look into them or what?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

MomInJax in Jacksonville, Florida

72 months ago

I run a non-profit cancer foundation and know that all non profits have expenses. the amount of those expenses depends on the size of the organization. I'm sure that ACS has huge expenses to accomplish their goals. It takes alot of money to get the message out there, to raise awareness, to advocate to Congress on behalf of patients, to train thousands of employees, to train thousands of volunteers, to raise money for research, to hold fundraising events... everything costs money and you have to spend money to make money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

kbodrero in Lehi, Utah

70 months ago

Thank you
I am in the process of getting hired on at ACS and you have to realize that they are the biggest non-profit in the world. There is going to be overhead. If we are working in the non-profit business we should know that it takes a lot of work to get those donations. I think it is great for a company to train their employees, and the pay is not the greatest. I guess I look at it as everyone all working towards one goal of curing cancer. What better job could there be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Chris Knutson in Waukesha, Wisconsin

61 months ago

There seems to be a lot of bashing going on, so I will give my somewhat middle of the road impression of the American Cancer Society. First of all, this is a big organization. The organization is bigger than the last two for profit companies I worked for. The American Cancer Society has thousands of staff with tens of thousands of volunteers. Like any organization, they spend money on things that they probably shouldn't, and they don't spend money on things that they could. As with any organization, they have a set list of priority to which they allocate their funds. When you make a donation to the organization you are saying, I believe in the mission and the goals of this organization, and I trust that they will allocate their funds appropriately given their mission and goals. Your $10 contribution does not give you the right to say where it is spent. If you want your money spent a different way, give it to someone else, or better yet, find a person who is in need and give it directly to them.

Yes, ACS has a lot of staff, but that many volunteers, and that broad of a mission can not run itself, and for the record most people leave the American Cancer Society because they don't pay enough. We love our jobs, but you don't get rich working for an organization like the American Cancer Society, so if you're worried about your money going to make people rich, it's not. I got a $15,000 raise when I left ACS after 9 years of service.

As for the volunteers, some people are dedicated, others are psycho. Again, either you believe in an organization and support them or you take your time, money and or talents elsewhere.

In the end, it's a decent company, but the work is hard and the hours can be very long. There is always more work than people to do it, and I wouldn't reccomend working there if you are the sole bread winner. The benefits and vacation are great, but you have to make up for the lack of pay somehow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.