American Red Cross News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does American Red Cross stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

HR in Des Moines, IA

103 months ago

What a joke.... The VMHR Officer in Des Moines is crazy and is only concerned with playing with her hair. That is how my interview went.

When I asked her more about the responsibilites of the position, she asked me "didn't I read the opening on-line" and told me the interview is over.

I'd be careful due to the fact that this opening alway's appears every other week and she doesn't know how to conduct a proper interview for being a SPHR.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HR in Falls Church, Virginia

99 months ago

Sounds like someone is a little jilted after not being PREPARED for an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Mt in Vienna, Virginia

98 months ago

Everyone at the Red Cross is always on the razor's edge of layoffs. That's the proce you pay for a relatively laid back environment and decent benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Restructured in Tucson, Arizona

98 months ago

If you really want "to make a difference" choose another organization. For the people talking about a laid back atmosphere, you obviously didn't work in AZ! In that climate, there is a dictatorship led by someone who does nothing all day except point fingers and blame. It sure was an interesting place to work. So interesting in fact, that I took a year off to regain health- mental and physical.

And for "HR in Falls Church", a candidate asking specific questions about the job responsibilities is not atypical and generally signifies real interest and intelligence, not unpreparedness. But then, I bet you are an ARC employee- that type of hostile response is representative of the outward lashing that I would expect from an ARC insider.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paul

97 months ago

I was recently laid off from a chapter in Michigan. The Red Cross is in terrible financial shape and there is a real atmosphere of fear. Everyone is afraid of losing their jobs if they speak up about the terrible atmosphere created by the CEO. I did not realize until after I was hired that lay offs are constant with the Red Cross. Everytime a new CEO comes aboard or the Fund Development Officer doesn't do his job and the funds are not there, the staff pays the price. There is constant change and you never know from day to day what policies are. The pay is below average, however the benefits were good, except for the insurance. Employees pay a large portion of the health insurance. Working at the Red Cross nearly ruined my health and after a few weeks of being out of there, I feel so much better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wiser than before in Decatur, Georgia

97 months ago

Stay away from the American Red Cross if you value your self-esteem, health and career.

I worked at a large metropolitan ARC branch where I was verbally abused and cursed by my boss, overloaded with work from laid-off employees, developed related health issues and watched my job eliminated as I was summarily booted with no severance or outplacement assistance whatsoever. This was after 4.5 years of hard work during which I was praised and promoted, then berated and finally removed. I can't help thinking that my impending vesting in the pension system, salary and fear of health costs had a lot to do with it.

Unless you get to the highest levels of management where incompetents cover for one another and guard their bloated salaries, don't believe the Red Cross claptrap about helping other people. The money spend on those in need of disaster relief is paltry compared with overhead and management salaries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

HR in Des Moines, IA

96 months ago

HR in Falls Church, Virginia said: Sounds like someone is a little jilted after not being PREPARED for an interview.

Since when did asking for a true job description and asking questions made me UNPREPARED. If you are really in HR is appropriate to chew gum, play with your hair OK and put your knees above the desk while the are crossed? I ask my team players never to chew gun while they conduct an interview, however you must think it's ok.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gymrat123 in Tucson, Arizona

86 months ago

I'm here in Tucson too and through a friend, I heard that they are about to have another round of layoffs in the local blood services program, but it is not public just yet...Anyone else know about this, let me know or the board know, to save time for the college newbies looking to apply to the Southern Arizona Red Cross Blood Service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

me in Folsom, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does American Red Cross stack up against the competition?

The ARC is a JOKE. The Red Cross shows itself to the public as such a people-friendly environment. If you work for them, you're treated like crap. Benefits are good. The insurance sucks. HR sucks.
My prediction is that different aspects of the ARC will not be around in 5 or so years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.