The truth about working at Amscot

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (30)

Blu Legair in Tampa, Florida

44 months ago

I have a complaint against one of your recruiters...I recently went to an amscot career fair and was not even given a chance at my interview. First off, there was a girl ahead of me and we were both given math tests and applications. She took 45 minutes to do a simple math test and application where as i did mine in less than 30 (i only got two answers wrong) but i was eavesdropping on her interview as it was 30 feet away maybe less, and the recruiter asked her questions about her previous jobs, what does customer service mean to you etc. The whole interview for her took 20 minutes. However when it came to me he only asked about where ive worked and that was all! I was well dressed, My resume was perfect, my math test was almost perfect yet he didn't ask anything about me nothing at all! he was prejudice because i aim a gay female. I am young yes but I am way more intelligent than most of the jerk offs that work in amscot and i deserve a chance! I am tired of working part time jobs! i graduated when i was 17 and completed 2 years of college yet no recruiter finds anything interesting about me. No, i am not the most bubbly of personalities but still i can get a good job done. Please reply to this comment i know its been a year but still.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Amscot SUCKS in Clearwater, Florida

44 months ago

You are LUCKY. read the postings about this terrible company. Your life was spared lots of stress & drama. This is not a CAREER. Use your energy elsewhere for this place underappreciates their employees. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Blu Legair in Tampa, Florida

44 months ago

You just sound bitter along with a lot of other bitter people. I need a job; a career if you were not able to ignore drama in the workplace and overcome that that's your problem. As for me I need a job to support myself and drama free or not. all my life people undermine me and treated me unfairly but what i strive for is to overcome obstacles and become someone important. It is sad cuz i am smarter than most of my peers.If you research amscot you will see career advancement is one of their goals. I am tired of working for little to no pay. So if you can help me get a good job then let me know other than that just please leave employers alone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

RLeigh1976 in Lakeland, Florida

41 months ago

Ugh...nevermind. Please disregard what I wrote in my original post...everything was great until I was placed in my permanent branch. I don't know AMSCOT wants to just make a great impression until you actually get to your permanent branch...but it was a world of difference. I was told 1.) "This is the REAL AMSCOT now. NOT training. We're a busy branch, so we don't have time to wait around while you count your money in 3x while opening your drawer." (in training you're taught over & over & over again to count money 3x). 2.) "I know in training they probably told you you're going to get a nice 30 minute break, but that rarely happens here; we're too busy." 3.) The branch leader also proudly let me know on her first day that when she took that store, she'd fired everyone within a week except 2 people. Also, while I was trying to learn the "alternate" ways they do things at this branch, the store was WAY understaffed and it was only the branch leader and myself on my 2nd day. Being a trainee, you have to have a leader's password in order to cash most checks, so while the branch leader was constantly on the phone, I had 3 windows/customers all waiting for her to come over and enter her password so I could complete the transactions. Anytime I asked a question, I was met with "NOOOO no nononononononono..." while she flapped her hands in front of the computer and told me to just let her finish it and go on to another window. Therefore I wasn't shown anything - I just basically felt like a nuisance for even asking. So disappointing. The training week at the corporate office and my 1st week at the temporary branch were so great...and then to get tossed into this nightmare branch was really disheartening. It's a shame because I really enjoyed the work, too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

thetruthrealllyis in Brandon, Florida

35 months ago

surveys and interviews are only done by Branch managers and corp office people in which they have to do from work. In which every one is afraid to write anything bad because they can figure out who did and then they eventually fire you for saying anything bad about them. And all statements by every one arent untrue and no one is bitter. If looking at all the long lasting associates at Amscot it slowly decrease as anniversays between 5 and so on years. Why are they always hiring because they have a high turn around. Yes very full of drama and they take forever to correct the issue in which they fire the wrong person or promote the wrong person its like they set u up for failure. And when theres and open door policy that just means give them a while you will be next on the firing block they will find a good reason to let you go though. And vacation days and perfect performers days ARENT supposed to be used for sick days those are days earned and should be used whenever you want to, so amscot tries to justify by saying people like to save a perfect performer day for a sick day in which they dont tell you that you can only have 3 excused absences and it still counts as an absence because you don't qualify for perfect perfomer if you missed work in the middle of a quater and they used your vacation for that day. This may sound like rambling on but its almost as if there is so much to say about AMSCOT not enough room. Surveys dont prove anything now if surveys were done from associates in the whole amscot company from other computers besides the ones at Amscot you will see the truth. So, if you want to work for Amscot you will only be doing it for the money thats for sure. But you will see when everyone tenses up with the district manager enters the branch and its like everyone is afraid to say anything and this is in all districts. Poor Branch managers who end the day crying because no matter how hard they try to it still isn't good enough/yelled at for other associates

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

thetruthrealllyis in Brandon, Florida

35 months ago

All they do is ride you. They want everyone to be responsible for things inside their branches but Amscot corp office is responsible for advertisement so they always want to fire people because of branch growth only because they are mad they opened a branch almost on every corner like a 7-11 so one branch is going to the busiest because its in a better location. And amscot states they are consistant but that isn't true they are always changing something and once you get used to one routine then you have to learn another one. Raises are only for branches that are growing so you better hope you get sent to a busy location like a 24 hr location if you intend to get a raise after your 2nd year because they only let 1 year associates get a raise baised on a performance appraisal. But really whats the need for one if your not going to get a raise. Im sure Amscot will fire you if your doing something they dont like. Amscot is to nosey they make it their business to let you know where you can work now that they allow you to have a 2nd job and it cant mess with your flexibility with Amscot. Before Amscot felt like they paid you enough so there for you dont need a 2nd job. Umm seriously between cutting hours to keep payroll down how else are you going to be able to afford living expenses. And if nearly every associate would agree then why when people go place they tell you how sorry they feel that you work for a company that doesn't appreciate their associates. Amscot makes plenty of donations yeah to make themselves look better as a company. But they only time they appreciate you if your making goals like income then every associate gets a 5 dollar gift card to publix. but what about lots of other times like during busy times and computers stop working and all associates are getting cursed out and trying to make the best of things.. or when associates gets amscot their funds back from customers after nearly getting their life threatened.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

emeraldmist20 in Holiday, Florida

35 months ago

Charity McDowell in Tampa, Florida said: As Director of HR for Amscot I am in the privileged position that I can answer nearly any question you might have about Amscot. I not only oversee the hiring process but work closely with the ownership of the company, senior management and regularly meet and talk with Associates and Managers in the field. I am ready and willing to answer any question about Amscot and give you a TRUTHFUL answer. I started with Amscot 9 years ago as a teller, and have worked every position in branch operations and human resources. I know exactly what it takes to be successful with this company and am willing to share what I have learnt over the years. It’s disappointing to read the negative comments on this website because most are blatantly untrue. The company has always worked hard to be a great employer and nearly every employee would agree (this is not subjective: I have objective surveys and interviews as proof). If you are considering applying for a job or would like more information about life in a branch, please ask away.

Charity

Charity,
Why does amscot use a credit report to determine eligibility? If it is a deciding factor, what in a credit report makes a person unsuitable? FICO score or something else? Or is it just a broad spectrum thing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Charity in Tampa, Florida

35 months ago

emeraldmist20, thank you for your question. The reason we run credit checks is because we are a highly regulated money services business and we have an obligation to hire associates who have relatively good credit. If you have questions about the details, please give us a call to discuss. Thanks again for the question.

Sincerely,

Charity

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

No Charity....you are completely wrong. The surveys are used to glorify Amscot yet at least 75% are false for fear of reprimand from Amscot on the employees who want to disclose the truth about working at Amscot. I am one of those employees....& my copwrokers feel the same way. Come on....a company that is so crummy on sick/vacation days....overworking w/ no or very short breaks can't be as glamorous as the surveys say. This isn't Family Feud unfortunately. The responsibility a FSA has is tremendous yet treated like a slave. Try all your PR techniques Charity & Amscot....the truth will permeate. Also what happened to the hundreds of truthful comments about Amscot? There were many forums exclusively about how Amscot truly is & how current/former employees vented....they are all gone. Did you have something to do w/ that to protect your image?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rosy234 in Tampa, Florida

34 months ago

The truth about working in AMSCOT is very stressing .. Amscot wants perfect people to work in their stores and at the very first mistake you make your fired ! . obviously your going to make mistakes noone is perfect ! That's why amscot is always hiring cause they fire people like crazy . This company is just ... ridiculous!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kuscu in Tampa, Florida

33 months ago

Hello Mr.Charity i really appreciated about your all comment and explanation i have really important question, i got interview couple days ago and Gentleman was really nice, he was really honestly.i did forget to ask him about first one week training could you please tell me,
how is it?what type class is it?what is the main subject(math,policy or costumer service) what time class will start and finish? and Quiz will be like test a, b, c,d or kind of we will write what we learn?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Charity in Tampa, Florida

33 months ago

Kuscu, I am happy to see you had a pleasant interview experience. Week 1 is a classroom style training that you get paid for. You will review a different topic every day. We will discus the time and details with you if you get hired. As far as the test they are mostly done online. If you come in, you study your notes from the previous day, pay attention, have a positive attitude and always ask questions about any topic you don't understand I am sure you will be successful in passing Week 1. The trainers are always there to answer your questions and available after class to help you on topics you may not understand or you may have additional questions about. Hope this helps! Good Luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

kuscu in Tampa, Florida

33 months ago

Charity in Tampa, Florida said: Kuscu, I am happy to see you had a pleasant interview experience. Week 1 is a classroom style training that you get paid for. You will review a different topic every day. We will discus the time and details with you if you get hired. As far as the test they are mostly done online. If you come in, you study your notes from the previous day, pay attention, have a positive attitude and always ask questions about any topic you don't understand I am sure you will be successful in passing Week 1. The trainers are always there to answer your questions and available after class to help you on topics you may not understand or you may have additional questions about. Hope this helps! Good Luck to you!

Hello,Mr.Charity
thank you very much for your fast respond.You said We will discus the time and details with you if you get hired. i hope they will hire me.i will let you know and thank you very much again for your all help and advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

RLeigh1976 in Lakeland, Florida

33 months ago

Kuscu, just make ABSOLUTELY SURE that during your week of training, you sit at the same table in the break room as the rest of the class when you eat lunch. During our lunch break, I dared to sit at a table that was right next to where the rest of my classmates were eating lunch and when I returned to class I was pulled into the office by Charity and reprimanded about not seeming like a "team player" because I didn't sit at the same table as the rest of the class. As ridiculous as this sounds, it's true. I was also spoken to by the other Amscot trainer who was there (I can't remember her name, but she'd just been promoted to the position of trainer)....because I'd chosen to sit at my own table rather than cram myself at a table where 10 other people were sitting hunched together shoulder-to-shoulder. Ridiculous. I should have taken that as my cue that Amscot wasn't going to be for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No Reply - Report abuse

NotSoMuch in Tampa, Florida

33 months ago

I worked for Amscot for a little over a year and was promoted to an "Assistant Leader" during that time. I just left the company after being offered a much better job. You want the truth about Amscot? Here it is.
During the interview: You can not be a smoker or any other tobacco products (automatic disqualification). You must have a completely open schedule (COMPLETELY OPEN 24 HOURS A DAY). If you're in college, sorry about your luck. You must have three references, with good phone numbers, as they will call/harass all of them until they get to speak with them about whether or not you are a good, trustworthy, person.
After being hired: You will go through one week of training at the corporate office. They will tell you all of their amazing success stories about how they came from nothing and being at Amscot changed their lives through all the amazing promotions they've recieved! WRONG. The first week in training you can tell it's a bit uptight. If you "curse/swear" (even on accident) they will immediately walk you out of the building and send you on your way. As somebody else said, during lunch, if you don't sit with other people and have a professional chat, they will tell you you're not acting like a "team player". If you make any sort of joke during class, it's frowned upon because you seem like you're just clowning around. Most of the classroom time is taking multiple tests. Read the 30 minute passage, take a 30 question multiple choice test. Rinse and repeat. OVER AND OVER. This classroom "teaching" is basically just to burn it into your mind that everybody is a criminal or a terrorist and you need to be suspicious of EVERYTHING ALWAYS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

well stated, but you forgot so many other things...like NO complete weekends off. Vacation requests are frowned upon & can only be taken in week increments. Working 12 hours 1 day then 4 the next....working til 11p or so then in @ 6a the next day. Being locked in the CAGE ENTIRE shift....no OFFICIAL breaks...you just eat inbetween taking customers mostly. Basically a SLAVE...your rights stripped & you're there acting as a legal loan shark. Then playing janitor at night cleaning the disgusting floors of Tootsie Rolls & other crap. Oh yeah collecting $ from past uncollected debts to unsuspecting customers then having that customer get pissed off at me for taking their $ & afraid to go out to my car at night thinking they may be waiting. I hate how they use "corporate" so much to distingish the chosen few w/ power at the Westshore HQ. Unbelievable company. So glad I am no longer an employee there. A company that encourages its employees to not mingle/communicate with others alone states enough about this company. Hey is that ex FBI old guy still there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

diane in Palm Coast, Florida

25 months ago

A recruiter called me today and said I should recieve a call by 7:00.No called yet and I feelI amore than qualified for the position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

diane in Palm Coast, Florida

25 months ago

A recruiter called me today and said I should recieve a call by 7:00.No called yet and I feelI amore than qualified for the position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mochaziyah2010 in Tampa, Florida

23 months ago

I worked for AMSCOT for 7 years. I can't say it was the BEST place to work, but I learned a lot and resigned when it was time for me to move on. I started as most people...a teller, advanced to an assistant, promoted to co-manager, promoted to a position in corporate, then made my way back to the branch (long story which was unprofessional).

It takes a special type of person to work for this company. You have to be willing to sacrifice a lot. I missed 5 years out of my sons life because I was a dedicated employee (although used at times). I often ask myself how did I last for so long...and the answer was my team and some of my customers.

I left AMSCOT at the end of 2010 and I can honestly say that job has prepared me for my future (great job and completed MBA-ACC). I'm in management with the local government and I've worked on various projects with the Mayor, other municipalities, and charity organizations.

There's a lot of bad in everything but you have to find the positive. I worked in a brand new branch with only 3 employees... I worked alone on many days... helping 10 customers at a time...some doing new cash advance, Cuba Western Unions, and trying to cash counterfeit checks all at once. I handled that and didn't drop an ounce of sweat...not to mention my branch balanced at the end of the night...so trust I can handle almost anything when it comes to a job!

All I can say is everything isn't for everybody...if you want it go for it. It is a stressful job, with long hours,no offical breaks or w/e... but potential employees must keep in mind...the company didn't ask you to come work for them...you applied &asked the company can you work for them.

For the experience and long-term friendships I've developed...I'd do it all over again (minus the full 7 years). I only wish that AMSCOT would appreciate the small people...they have a lot of hardworking FSA/CL/BL... it's not all about Corporate...the frontline employees make the business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Andy Diaz in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

20 months ago

I want to be considered for a management position at amscot . 13 years of retail experience at kmart CORPORATION as a store comanager in charge of operations also as a wells fargo customer service rep . What should I do Sr ? .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Tampa, Florida

15 months ago

Charity McDowell in Tampa, Florida said: As Director of HR for Amscot I am in the privileged position that I can answer nearly any question you might have about Amscot. I not only oversee the hiring process but work closely with the ownership of the company, senior management and regularly meet and talk with Associates and Managers in the field. I am ready and willing to answer any question about Amscot and give you a TRUTHFUL answer. I started with Amscot 9 years ago as a teller, and have worked every position in branch operations and human resources . I know exactly what it takes to be successful with this company and am willing to share what I have learnt over the years. It’s disappointing to read the negative comments on this website because most are blatantly untrue. The company has always worked hard to be a great employer and nearly every employee would agree (this is not subjective: I have objective surveys and interviews as proof). If you are considering applying for a job or would like more information about life in a branch, please ask away.

Charity

I have a few questions. What does it take to be successful and move up fast with this company? Also what is training like? are there any raises like after training?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

john in Saint Petersburg, Florida

14 months ago

Hello. I hope you can respond to my question. I have been in retail 30 years in management. After all these years of 60+ hours I need to step away and find a 40 hour job. I was also a small business owner for 10 years. I have been considering sending my resume to Amscot. What are you thoughts? Thank you for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

john in Saint Petersburg, Florida

14 months ago

Hello. You mentioned no breaks. Are you telling me no lunches, no breaks, nothing for hourly associates? I have been in retail management 30 years so I know what its like. 60-70 hour weeks but I also gave my hourly associates lunches, etc. By law and corp policyI had to anyway. Your thoughts?? Thanks for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Andrew in Pompano Beach, Florida

14 months ago

john in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: Hello. You mentioned no breaks. Are you telling me no lunches, no breaks, nothing for hourly associates? I have been in retail management 30 years so I know what its like. 60-70 hour weeks but I also gave my hourly associates lunches, etc. By law and corp policyI had to anyway. Your thoughts?? Thanks for your time.

Amscot is the worse company to work for

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Andrew in Pompano Beach, Florida

14 months ago

What company does not support that their employees go to school ? What clmpany use your credit score to hired you ? Amscot does not hired you if you go to school also they dont if your credit score is low , been more than 14 years in retail and banking as a manager no as an employee and never seem anything like this before .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AmscotCo-Leader in Polk County, Florida

12 months ago

For new hires or people looking at working for Amscot: I have worked at Amscot for some time now, so if you want to know the truth, trust me, not the disgruntled lazy past associates who post on here. Working for Amscot is no 9-5, Monday through Friday job. They tell you that before you even apply. You have one weekday off and one day on the weekend off. You will NOT get fired for making a mistake! Will not!! What you will get fired for is having a bad attitude, acting like you don't want to be there, and acting like you could care less about anyone but yourself. Attitude is EVERYTHING! Amscot is not a sit down in your office job, you're on your feet helping customers. Yes, at times it can be stressful, and you do get tired sometimes, it happens everywhere. Chances for advancement are there, as long as you keep the right attitude and show you want to learn. As far as them constantly hiring, it's not because they're constantly firing. It's because people get hired and the only thing they see is the dollar sign on their paycheck, it's not until they get in to the branch that they see that they don't work for a bank and they don't have bankers hours, that's why people leave. Of course there are some things Amscot can improve on, but that's EVERY company, no company is perfect.
If you're not lazy, you have a bubbly attitude, you show you genuinely care, you keep a positive attitute, you don't mind working different hours every week, this is for you. Amscot is not for everyone, it's defiantly not for the lazy, selfish people (who tend to post on here.) It's hard work, it is, but at the same time, you meet great people that you become friends with, the experience you get from working with Amscot, you will get NO where else! I enjoy where I work, yes it's hard work at times, but it pays off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

julieteresa in Tampa, Florida

11 months ago

hi I recently did the one week training but only made it to day 4 due to being behind a bit on quizzes. I was passing them with 80 % but a 85 % was required. I am still very interested in working with Amscot, and Enjoyed the classroom and learning the compliance rules. My question is: would I ever be able to retrain for this FSA opening again? Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

julieteresa in Tampa, Florida

11 months ago

hi charity i'm very interested in returning for training to try again for a FSA opening, will I ever have a second chance? if so how long is the grace period before I may apply again? (sorry I had to resend this to you so I could alert an email be sent to me, when you respond. thank you again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

angie whittamore in Southwest Brevard Cnty, Florida

9 months ago

I was a branch mgr for a paydayloan/check cashing company in KY for 4 years. I had to quit to move to FL. and their company is not down here so I was unable to transfer. How would I go about putting in a job application?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sarahmoore863 in Sebring, Florida

4 months ago

One of the reasons why I posted this is because of the person called AmscotCo-Leader in this forum down talking ladi3pak. This make me think that Amscot is not so friendly work place and it is not the company's fault but the employees that run the store for them. Between this Amscot employee in this forum being immature towards ladi3pak that has a serious complaint and the way that guy may have cost the other guy's job and the hiring of that girl that took money. Make me believe that the bad get rewarded like the new girl or the young guy I think took the older guy's job and this AmscotCo-Leader.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.