What's the company culture at Ann Taylor?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (44)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Ann Taylor?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Ann Taylor?

Reply - Report abuse

NewYork Resident in Corona, New York

88 months ago

Can anyone afford to go out to eat after work? I notice most employees bring in their lunch...who can afford to even go out to eat on the wages? Oh...that is when your allowed a break. Who cares about the Department of Labor? Not this company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

Culture?

Well - can you tell us where the clothes are made? Not in the dear United States, are they?

What is the salary of those that made the clothes? Where? The hours? Any air conditioning for those in the summer? Any children working for Ann Taylor in other countries?

Can you post a website of the workers that make the clothes, and let them post about thier conditions and salary. Enough to feed their children?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

carrieb in Florida

82 months ago

Excuse me, but I have worked with Ann Taylor for almost a year now, as a Senior Assistant Store Manager, and I absolutely love this company. We are required to take breaks, and our associates HAVE to take a break after working 5 hours, or else we get into trouble. There are even benefits for part-time and seasonal employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

continued:

You must not have worked for a GOOD company to stick up for them, or be happy there. I worked for New England Telephone Company and other large companies that treated
their employees GREAT with GREAT respect and benefits.....I had NONE of those at Ann Taylor - allegedly no respect or benefits. We were even ON CALL (I mean doctors are on call...but SALES ASSOCIATES?) I heard they even "allegedly" made their stock people clean the toilets when they got rid of their cleaning people. The clothes are allegedly made CHEAP, most of the hems in my pants I bought feel down in the first week...and most of us (other associates) allegedly were complaining about the pants... This company has been allegedly complained about by more than myself....and just in NYC I have heard allegedly others reported them - so
maybe an investigation could show they allegedly may have been fined a few times. I made note
this is my opinion and my experience and any mention of anything else is allegedly based on
speculation and not accusing this company of any wrongdoing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

carrieb in Florida

17 hours ago - I had NO intention of coming in here to type this; however, I got a message in my email account to come here to read your comment Carrieb - and so I felt lead to RESPOND to you since you seemed to want a response. I want to end this by saying I worked with some WONDERFUL people at Ann Taylor (Sales Associates) that I miss many of them... Even the supervisors were abused in my opinion and stressed by those above them. I blame those at the TOP, and disgusted by those fighting to pay my back wages and so forth. What goes around, comes around - God is NOT mocked - I believe there is someone higher up that CARES for all those that go to work to try to provide for their families.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Class action suit. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

depotnole in Tallahassee, Florida

82 months ago

NewYork Resident in Corona, New York said: Class action suit. :)

Dear lord you are a whiney human being. Life stinks, then you die. whining won't slow it down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

carrieb in Florida

82 months ago

Wasn't really looking for a response from you. Just replying with my own opinion to the Host.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

depotnole in Tallahassee, Florida said: Dear lord you are a whiney human being. Life stinks, then you die. whining won't slow it down.

Part one (long one) :)

Life is great when you know Jesus (www.chick.com - meet Jesus) like I do, no matter what your
circumstances. I have joy in my heart, spite my handicap (disability) from getting hurt at work.
Inside I am happy. I feel no need to complain. Just set the record straight. That is what this
forum is for. When someone posts information - lets make sure it is CORRECT information. :)I mentioned this (what I did) as a response to someone posting MISINFORMATION about
Ann Taylor.
When I worked at "Ikon Office Solutions" - I got paid by the hour PLUS bonus and commission.
I received $25.00 for every fax my sales rep sold. I received $500 for every color copier my sales rep sold. I received $800. for every OCE my sales rep sold. So my weekly checks could be quite large. Regardless if my rep's make any sales from my leads - I got a good pay check. And I was
one of the top (inside sales) tele marketer in the company. All I did was set up qualified leads for
my reps to go close the deal. I knew my product (Canon Copier) and I knew who I called ( on days off - I visited places to see how large their business was and if they needed a copier, etc.)
I did not just go by call lists that some in our office went by.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Part two
That is WHY I was one of the best
and made great money at the job. I treated my job as if it was my own business and how hard
I worked - it how much EXTRA I got in return (commissions). And my employer gave me
INCENTIVES (I lived in Florida and got a ski trip to Vermont all expenses paid for me and my guest....) and treated all the employees with great respect - like family. You worked hard for
them too - and in return you were greatly rewarded.
I received gifts from the company (also)
such as gold rings, all paid ski trips (airfare, ski lift and rental, hotel, great food, spa, etc.,) and much MORE. I had Aetna insurance (NO cost to me..) not a HMO, but a PPO. I worked for them as a temp for a year before they hired me, and I continued to work for them for several years. Benefits - yes. I have had GREAT benefits from companies. But NOT Ann Taylor. At
Ann Taylor my "incentive" was to work my butt off (to get sales) and REWARD was more hours. So...I could work only 8 - 12 hours one week - and if I did GOOD (which I did) then my hours could be increased to 24 or even 38. I worked 35 hours many weeks (before I got hurt at work) BECAUSE I did good in sales. But.. no commission, no bonus, no health insurance...
I also worked for "Dial America" (in Florida) their corporate office is in NJ - another GREAT company to work for. I got paid by the hour PLUS bonus and commission. I could make $21.00
an hour for tele-marketing (tel sales) when most in that area of Florida were only making $10.00 an hour for office jobs (admin assist) and many professional people in that area worked for them as a second job for the money. Again - a company that treated their employees with great respect and good benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Part three
My first job out of business school - was a key tape operator and promoted several times in the company, the many years I worked for them. The first year I was given a two week PAID VACATION and
a great plan with Atnea (health insurance) at no cost to me. I ended up as a secretary for a buyer
in this large company, that was a wonderful company to work for. When I worked for Ma Bell
(New England Telephone Company) same thing...great insurance plan, they took my car payments out of my check for me and gave me (at no cost to me) STOCKS in the company. I had phone service at home that I could call anywhere in the WORLD; I had relatives in Canada - so
I was able to call them anytime I wanted for free. I worked as a secretary for someone high up in the company when I first started with the company, until he retired and they placed me in a new job. I worked in residential accounts and was trained for this new job. They did not just say - your out of here because your job no longer exists. At Ann Taylor - once I got hurt at work they would NOT give me another job in the company that I was highly qualified to do. Both the companies I worked for I got laid off during a time when there were many layoffs - but, they
took good care of me even afterwards. When they had a lay off at Ikon I heard they gave their
employees a great package to hold them over until they got a new job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Part four

I think it is IMPORTANT to know what your in for when you start a new job. I was NEVER told I would be on call when I was hired at Ann Taylor. All of a sudden I start a job and look at the schedule for the week, and sometimes it tells me I am only scheduled for four days and on call for other days. I have to call an hour before work (get dressed to go to work if I have to or not, and not be able to make other plans that day) to see if someone called out sick or quit - and if I had to come in that day. I was also told that CLOSING I would only be there an HOUR after the store closed - HOWEVER, that turned out to be a lie. I could be there for THREE HOURS after
the store closed. It seemed to me because they did not have ENOUGH staff to close, and we had
no way of getting out of their earlier. I would leave many MORNINGS at 1 am - with limited bus service to get home. Girls that came from Macy's and other stores that had CARPET came to Ann Taylor with cement floors (giving some sore feet) - came and left - between that (no carpet) and the
late hours to close and/or unpredictable hours you got (usually based on your sales they will deny on paper, but tell you why your hours up or down to your face at the store...)and NO heat
that winter for several weeks and some would just WALKED OUT and refused to work...leaving those that stayed to close at 1am many times.... Where are the GREAT BENEFITS HERE?
Just asking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Part five
What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Ann Taylor? (Question asked) - Don't you want a REAL ANSWER from someone that worked there? Well... in my opinion - it was
hard work for little pay, and not appreciated or rewarded for it. You get hurt at work and they
don't want to take responsibility of what happened to their employee - and don't care - your just a number to them.
You know this problem is what GLOBALIZATION has caused, in my opinion. Many companies (not saying Ann Taylor does...) that have work done overseas (some companies have sweat shops and even children working for a quarter a day or some form of slave labor) that can NOT complain, or have much choice to find employment to feed their children and so poor. No unions to help fight for their rights. Oh...someone told me that Ann Taylor has FOUGHT getting a union for years...I wonder if that is true or not.??? For someone to be so ignorant (someone in this forum) and COMPLAIN that someone brought up the negative points ( sounds like they want to HIDE THEM ..until someone is hired and maybe turned down another better job under misconceptions of what to expect...) is the one with the problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Part six (and end of rant) :)
Slavery is OVER - and I am sure that the slave owners called them whiners when they (slaves) had to work for a roof over their heads or whipped. That is a form of control (some) want - and instead of coming back with some FACTS (benefits) to refute anything they did not agree with...they name call. Kindergartner mentality as leadership. - God help us. Read:
"Screwed" by Thom Hartmann - great book - will give some insight to this at a higher level of thinking. I am done here - I don't have time for this - thank God I type 90-100 wpm that I can do this quickly and be done with it. But - maybe it will help ONE person. Had I known what I know now...I would have looked at other job opportunities. Now my choices are limited because
of the damage done to my feet at this job...but I am still looking for an office job and hope there will be new opportunities for me in the future. :) I am sure there is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

carrieb in Florida

82 months ago

NewYork Resident in Corona, New York said: Part one (long one) :)

Just to set the record straight----the information I have provided is true information. Like I said, I am currently employed with Ann Taylor and these are the rules about breaks and the circumstances now. I don't know when you worked there, but I am just stating that TODAY, this is how the company is run. So, rant and rave all you want, but DO NOT tell me that I am "MISINFORMING"....because that is untrue. And if you say the purpose of this forum is to tell the truth, than I most certainly am. Who would be better to get information from, a CURRENT employee who knows how the company is being run TODAY; or a disgruntled FORMER employee who likes to complain?

Oh, and depotnole: well said.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Re: georgek in Dallas

"Yeah... researching your prospective employer is a good thing to do when u r looking out for a job... just read about it on www.tonybeshara.com/tips/researching-prospective-employers/ ... good no nonsense advice."

Great webpage - thanks, I am checking it out. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

carrieb in Florida said:

Maybe your store is run differently then the one I worked for, so I respect your input. Sorry for any misunderstanding. Have a nice day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

carrieb in Florida

82 months ago

you too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

mansfieldpark in Villa Park, Illinois

81 months ago

New York -

I am appalled you would air your case like this online - I understand you have had a bad experience but that is no excuse to air your laundry in the forum - I am suprised an attorney would take it - if he knew about this he probably would not - I have been in Ann Taylor Loft stores for years and love how happy the associates look - I am actually applying there myself and hopefully I will be able to get a position to supplement my income.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

retailemployees in new york, New York

79 months ago

NewYork Resident,
I would love to reach out to you outside of this forum to hear more about your story. would you mind dropping me an email directly at vanessaoc@yahoo.com, with your email address, so I can reach out to you? (I don't work for Ann Taylor or any other retailer, but am interested in your hearing more about your experience and your dealings with the attorney.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

KitKit394 in Old Hickory, Tennessee

77 months ago

I am currently an assistant manager at an Ann Taylor Loft. Now there are several things I wish to add to this discussion as someone who is actually leaving the company next week and going to law school.

1. The needs of the business come first. So yes, you might have an on-call shift here and there. I worked at Old Navy for 4 years during high school and college from '99-'03. I had on call shifts there. When I worked for the LOFT as a sales associate, I had them on occasion. Big deal! The thing is that you PLAN on working those hours. When you don't, it's like an added treat! Guess what? I had to sweep the floors as a sales associate, scrub toilets, mop floors, windex the mirrors and windows, etc. b/c I either worked opening shifts or closing shifts and that was the need of the business. I still do all those things and I'm a manager. You wouldn't want someone coming into your home with it looking a hot mess, would you? I didn't think so.

2. If you're feet hurt, go to a doctor and have him write you a note. Mine did and now I wear the Croc dress shoes to work. No one can say anything because you have a doctor's note.

3. The break thing. Did you call the CARE hotline? Ever? If you did AND gave your name, they should have documentation as well as your timecard statement from Atlas. (FYI, I called the CARE hotline on my manager and it was dealt with within a week's time) Did you call payroll yourself? Maybe it's a case of bad management, but you have to learn how to do for yourself in life anyway. The contacts are all there. Use them!

4. With how things are going now w/i the company, I'm surprised you stay as late as you do. I close in 30 minutes. In fact, many smaller stores are required to. Heating and air is something that is controlled by the mall (ours is) but maybe yours is localized and no one knows how to reset it. Maybe you could try?

Find a solution to your problems. Don't come on here and complain about them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

nl2004 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

76 months ago

Hi, this is a question for kitkit, since you work as an associate manager there:

I have an interview coming up next week for a sales associate position. What should I wear for this?

I filled out the questionaire online, which asks nothing of references or previous work history. I was not asked to bring a resume, but would it be good to be prepared with a list of references or anything?

Also, is there anything else you can let me know of that I can be prepared for?

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

KitKit394 in Mcdonough, Georgia

76 months ago

nl2004,

Wear something that is business casual but make it your own style. We always liked to see your style shine through. You should be asked to fill out an application in the store prior or during your interview. Why they don't have that online, I'll never know. From that the interviewer should ask you questions based on your experience.

There is a standard set of questions, usually, but it's sometimes difficult to predict what a manager will ask off of that list of questions. Don't sweat it though. I like to make my interviews fun and more of a "get to know you" type of vibe. It all depends on the store and it's environment though. I would suggest arriving 15 minutes early and just watch how the sales associates interact with you, with clients, with each other, and with management (HINT: we have the keys!). This will give you an idea of the environment that you may be working in.

Overall, just be yourself. :-)

KitKit

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Olesia in Illinois

76 months ago

I was appalled by what I have read today in Wall Street Journal.
There was an article about AnnTaylors stores and their new scheduling system that they call "Atlas". It seems like employees of the company are treated very badly.

"AnnTaylor calls its system the Ann Taylor Labor Allocation System -- Atlas for short. It was developed by RedPrairie Corp., a retail-operations software firm based in Waukesha, Wisc. "We liken the system to an airplane dashboard with 100 different switches and levers and knobs," said AnnTaylor's Mr. Knaul. "When we launched that, we messed with five of them." Giving the system a nickname, Atlas, he said, "was important because it gave a personality to the system, so [employees] hate the system and not us." "
s.wsj.net/article/SB122100270555417001.html?mod=fpa_whatsnews

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

KitKit394 in Stockbridge, Georgia

76 months ago

I can't say that I'm surprised in reading this article. Many store managers just go by the schedule that Atlas automatically generates. At my store, our store manager actually made edits to the schedule so that it was fair. Yes this took up valuable time OFF the sales floor (and annoyed me some in the process since it took him so long!), but the sales associates were happier with their hours. One day he will probably reprimanded for doing it, but until then he'll continue to do it his way. I'm not sure what other SMs are doing with ATLAS schedules but from the article it looks like not much, which is unfortunate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

babygeisha in Vega Baja, Puerto Rico

75 months ago

nl2004 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Hi, this is a question for kitkit, since you work as an associate manager there:

I have an interview coming up next week for a sales associate position. What should I wear for this?

I filled out the questionaire online, which asks nothing of references or previous work history. I was not asked to bring a resume, but would it be good to be prepared with a list of references or anything?

Thank you!

Part one
Well I imagine you already had your interview and your orientation, etc etc. To my surprise I find myself here in this blog today because I too just arrived from my orientation. I was hired after a very delightful interview which made me so happy and motivated. But the new hire orientation was another story. I was totally appalled how they have the nerve to sit you there for 5 hrs. (we did get a 15 min break) out of which 4.75 of those hrs is hearing them (with such enthusiasm) dictate to you what the company is expecting from you, and only 15 min (I think it was very less but let's be fair) of what we get in return. Don't even dream of aspiring for a full time job, they are "restructuring" the company because of the economic crisis we are all going through so instead they fill up the store with 20 - 25 part timers who will work on minimum wage with only 16 to 20 hrs weekly with absolutely no benefits, no sick leave, no vacation, no holidays, except when the mall closes and of course you don't get paid for those, no breaks unless you have a med's note stating that you require to eat various times a day (as in the case of hypoglycemics), oh, here's a good one, if there is a robbery in the store, as in a hit and run then everyone working that day is disciplined because it is proven that if this happens it's because we weren't doing our jobs, because yes my dear, you are also expected to be a loss prevention officer!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

babygeisha in Vega Baja, Puerto Rico

75 months ago

nl2004 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Hi, this is a question for kitkit, since you work as an associate manager there:

Thank you!

Part two!!
I forgot the juiciest part. You are expected to dress exclusively Ann Taylor attire and shoes etc. I can understand that but to say that what you buy today cannot be used a month from now because it will no longer be for sale and what if the client decides they want what you are wearing??? There is indeed a good discount, must be truthful, but when you are working part time, on minimum salary and you have to dress only their attire, it sounds to me that they have a pretty good scam going on because their associates leave the little salary they earn right at their stores!! Overall, of course I don't plan on working for them after this because it's a win win for them and what's in it for me?? a closet full of Ann Taylor attire?? Not only will I not work for them, but will never buy from them because now I know what slave drivers they are!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

nomorenamesleft in San Jose, California

62 months ago

I worked for Ann Taylor for only a couple of months. This was by far the worst retail experience I have ever had. In a high volume store, we only closed with 1 associate and 1 manager. Maybe 2 associates on a Saturday. The store was always a mess. The district manager stated to us that we need to dress exclusively Ann Taylor, and we had to wear what was new. (If I'm not mistaken, isn't that a uniform, and shouldn't it be provided to us? Whatever, IDK.) They do provide a discount, however the clothes are exspensive, and they are almost all made of polyester. I left soon after they cut all of the part-time benefitted positions, and they stopped matching 401k, and no merit increases were given to any employees. The only thing that I did like about the job was the people I worked with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chris in Cambridge, Massachusetts

51 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Ann Taylor?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Ann Taylor?

The problem at Ann Taylor is the disconnect between their rhetoric about how sales associates/store managers are valued members of the AT family and the reality of invasive searches of every store employee when leaving the store. The implication is that employees are thieves. Instead of hiring security officers or installing surveillance cameras in stores, clients who actually do steal and allowed to walk out the door rather than being confronted and risking making a scene. Sales associates, like I was for the past year, are paid very low wages and treated with great disrespect. I always carried my keys, phone and credit card in my hand rather than bring a purse and be subjected to these demeaning searches. I am now talking with the ACLU, the Mass State Atty General's office on Labor Practices and the Dept of Justice Civil Rights Division to find out if this practice is against the law and, if not, should it be challenged in the courts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ann in Sykesville, Maryland

48 months ago

I was wondering if anyone knew the care hotline number so I could call on my manager

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

twill4506 in Okatie, South Carolina

48 months ago

phone # is 1-800-688-care

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

K

39 months ago

I love my job at LOFT! I work as a sales associate, and it's one of the best jobs I've ever had. People are right that the pay isn't great (I do get more than minimum wage, however) and sales associates are all part-time, but that's true of a lot of places right now.

My managers and co-workers are all fabulous. I've never had any of the problems described above as far as not feeling valued or not getting breaks. If anything, I feel that I am treated with more respect than at any previous job. They are absolutely required by law to give me breaks and they work hard to adhere to that.

The work environment is a lot of fun. I think that everyone in my store works hard to meet the needs of customers, and the teamwork we have is fabulous. There is no damaging competition because we don't make commission. There is only the occasional "friendly" competition to sell certain items. We are actually quite honest with customers when certain outfits are unflattering. It is about meeting her needs and making it fun, not about "selling at all costs."

I work at a very high-volume store, and the company does reward us with additional discounts (and occasional free stuff) for putting up good numbers. I regularly get up to 70% off certain items. They DO NOT require us to wear their clothes, but there is plenty of incentive to buy them with the 50% off discount.

As far as the article about scheduling productive employees during busy times, it only makes sense. They are a business and you can't fault them for trying to boost efficiency and productivity. My store manager is great about still allowing us flexibility in the schedule.

The attitude among store employees in the Chicago area is overwhelmingly positive. If you want a high-paying full time job, look elsewhere. If you want a fun, part-time job to help make ends meet (or to keep you busy on weekends), I think this is the PERFECT job! I am extremely happy working there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Sidney Madsen in Mesa, Arizona

38 months ago

NewYork Resident in Corona, New York said: Part five
What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Ann Taylor? (Question asked) - Don't you want a REAL ANSWER from someone that worked there? Well... in my opinion - it was
hard work for little pay, and not appreciated or rewarded for it. You get hurt at work and they
don't want to take responsibility of what happened to their employee - and don't care - your just a number to them.
You know this problem is what GLOBALIZATION has caused, in my opinion. Many companies (not saying Ann Taylor does...) that have work done overseas (some companies have sweat shops and even children working for a quarter a day or some form of slave labor) that can NOT complain, or have much choice to find employment to feed their children and so poor. No unions to help fight for their rights. Oh...someone told me that Ann Taylor has FOUGHT getting a union for years...I wonder if that is true or not.??? For someone to be so ignorant (someone in this forum) and COMPLAIN that someone brought up the negative points ( sounds like they want to HIDE THEM ..until someone is hired and maybe turned down another better job under misconceptions of what to expect...) is the one with the problem.

I have been with the company for 3 1/2 years and I can tell you so much has to do with the manager. I seen the good the bad and the ugly. But my complaint is the lack of training. I was terminated because I handled a shop lifting incident, saw her put the item in her bag, but I was never told the correct way. The clincher is I was treated with much more disrespect than she was after being a very loyal hard honest working person.
They could have even said "we feel bad but this is the policy" but I was escorted to the door and my purse checked! Now here is my big complaint why don't they prosecute shop lifters anymore? I know the answere its not cost effective. But these people all know it and it's just a joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

chris in Cambridge, Massachusetts said: The problem at Ann Taylor is the disconnect between their rhetoric about how sales associates/store managers are valued members of the AT family and the reality of invasive searches of every store employee when leaving the store. The implication is that employees are thieves. Instead of hiring security officers or installing surveillance cameras in stores, clients who actually do steal and allowed to walk out the door rather than being confronted and risking making a scene. Sales associates, like I was for the past year, are paid very low wages and treated with great disrespect. I always carried my keys, phone and credit card in my hand rather than bring a purse and be subjected to these demeaning searches. I am now talking with the ACLU, the Mass State Atty General's office on Labor Practices and the Dept of Justice Civil Rights Division to find out if this practice is against the law and, if not, should it be challenged in the courts.

would love to hear more on this. I aprehended a shop lifter and because I had not been trained on how to respond I was terminated and walked to the door with a purse seach. I was treated worse that the shop lifter

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

This is unreal. The assistant manager who absolutely did it by the book was terminated along with me because I confronted a shop lifter. This is so wrong. Great go ahead and make an example out of me but if i were this girl I'd hire an attorney. Here is another gem. We are awarded with special savings if your store makes all of it's goals(set by corporate of course) We are all hard working employees not a slacker in the bunch, they never last long, but in three years we only qualified once because they make the goal so high we can't ever meet it. But in 3 1/2 years we finally did. So do you think they would let me use my reward? Nope though it was given to me 2 months before I was terminated. While I'm venting let me tell you about scheduling. Numerous times I would show up for work only to be told at the door or during my shift that they needed to cut hours so they wouldn't need me that day or send my home early. But if I didn't clear a day off with a manager in advance I would have been fired Love that double standard. Also if you call in sick you have to have a note from a doctor. (Which by the way I never took one sick day) OK I don't know about you all but rarely do I go to a doctor when Im sick, With a flue or cold there is nothing they could do and I don't have the money to spend. It's very demeaning to be treated the way they treat their employees and it's from Coporate not hard working managers trying to keep their jobs. Use to love this company but it has changed immensly in the past 2 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shupshup in Atlanta, Georgia

32 months ago

NewYork Resident in Corona, New York said: Part two
That is WHY I was one of the best
and made great money at the job. I treated my job as if it was my own business and how hard
I worked - it how much EXTRA..." bla bla bla.

I normally only respond professionally to the question at hand, but I couldn't resist this one.

So if your previous jobs were SO rewarding and fabulous companies, why did you leave?
1. Compare the genuine customer service a customer receives when they go into a commission based store vs. a customer service driven store. Could it be AT knows what kind of management style and incentive program reflects the best experience for customers?
2. The most motivated, genuine, dedicated, and hard working people are the most successful people. It doesn't sound like you were resentful at all (sarcasm). I'm sure you were a PERFECT associate/teammate. BLESS YOUR HEART! Sounds like you have a wonderful personality and such a positive attitude. I'm sure you were a bundle of joy to work with (sarcasm). Sometimes it's best to take a look in the mirror before you start pointing fingers.
3. Maybe AT's work environment wasn't a good fit for you. Some people need commission to feel valued. That's fine, just go find another company that offers that kind of program. Do something that makes you happy.
4. And finally, get your facts straight before you respond. Insurance is offered with many Employee programs, but you ALWAYS pay for it. Whether it's line item discounted in your pay stub, or the company offers you a lower salary to"claim" insurance as a FREE benefit, you still pay. Either way you pay on the front end or the back.
***Get your facts straight before you try to prove a point. Most of your examples are erroneous, so your opinion is no longer credible. Sounds ignorant.
I hope you are able to recover from your injury, so you can find something that makes you happy. In the meantime, let your resentment go. Best wishes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shupshup in Atlanta, Georgia

32 months ago

Sidney Madsen in Mesa, Arizona said: I have been with the company for 3 1/2 years and I can tell you so much has to do with the manager my big complaint why don't they prosecute shop lifters anymore? I know the answere its not cost effective. But these people all know it and it's just a joke.

I 100% agree with your comment about it depending on your manager AND district manager. Under good management, the company/store is a fun, easygoing, environment to work in. Hold your management team accountable. Nobody will fault you for letting them know where and WHO can use some improvement.

A lil insight about security and loss prevention. (This is a policy that many companies adopted years ago to abide by Federally imposed laws to protect consumers.)
The liability that comes with accusing someone of theft that is innocent (or at least being able to prove they were stealing (which requires them to walk out the door and you to chase after them, putting you in a potentially dangerous situation) far outweighs the benefit of saving $10 for a company.

You should protect the assets of the company you work for without risking harm to yourself. Most malls and shopping centers have security guards that can and will prosecute ANY theft and are trained and equipped to handle criminals without you having to be at risk. Never be afraid to call security with the littlest suspicion. It's best for you, the company, the shopping center, and for fellow honest customers.

Hope this helped.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hell with Ann Taylor in White Plains, New York

26 months ago

carrieb in Florida said: Excuse me, but I have worked with Ann Taylor for almost a year now, as a Senior Assistant Store Manager, and I absolutely love this company. We are required to take breaks, and our associates HAVE to take a break after working 5 hours, or else we get into trouble. There are even benefits for part-time and seasonal employees.

LIE!!! If you're a part-time worker working full-time as in 30 hours per week, you're told that you don't qualify for benefits!!!! And by the way, Ann Taylor clothing is boring and made cheap, also is overpriced!!! I've seen loose strings on several suits and the t-shirts are now paper-thin, but are sold at $28!!! And the jewelry changes color within a year after purchase!!!! CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP AND OVERPRICED SWEATSHOPS!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

ToriHollywood in Kansas City, Missouri

19 months ago

I have to comment on this. Even though this post is old someone may run across it. I'm shocked at all the bad experiences people have had working for this company. I work for Ann Taylor. Retail is obviously not a job for everyone. I have never worked at a retail place that doesn't check your bags. They do it to prevent internal theft which I've worked for a company where employees were stealing left and right. I have had nothing but good experiences since working at Ann Taylor. My managers are nice and understanding and work around my school schedule as well as my other job. We are never on call. I have bought several things since I've worked there and haven't had any issues. I haven't bought any pants because their sizes run big and I can't fit them. I always get a break if I work past 5 hours. AT is part of the Sustainable Coalition Apparel Coalition so they implement measures to be green. They also audit their suppliers and make sure there are no sweat shops or child labor in production of their clothes. At least that is what I am told and what their website says. As far as pay it's part-time job not career and pays accordingly. My managers are very nice and supportive as well as my co-workers. Being new if I make a mistake they help me without ridiculing me or making me feel stupid. They don't micromanage and let me do my job. You can do all the same functions on the register as a manager such as returns and exchanges. At the start of every shift they let u know whats going on so you are comfortable telling clients. We are encouraged to try on clothes when its slow to see how they will fit so we can tell clients. Dress code is business casual i usually wear a slacks/pencil skirt with a blouse and jewelry or dress. I like going to work and I like the people I work with. I feel sorry for the people who with bad experiences because I've had that job but you cant quit when you have bills to pay. I've had nothing but a great experience since working here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sidney in Mesa, Arizona

19 months ago

I agree with you from Kansas. It's all about the management.We had a fabulous team and once they started hiring outside the company it was horrible. After my termination in a period of one year they went through 5 managers. What was once a wonderful store with many loyal repeat customers became a mess that only now after 3 years of shuffling is getting back to what it use to be. In my opinion the district manager who no longer is with the company, was most of the problem. But the company deserved what they got. They didn't practice any kind of loyalty to those who had been good no great employees by hiring outside of the company. I don't know what their thinking was but they shot them self in the foot. You may have a wonderful manager but she has no power to speak of and it could all come tumbling down in an instant. I don't know much about the corporation in general but those who have been with the company 15 years or longer said everything changed with the CEO stepped down about 4 years ago and I believe it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

washington in Washington, District of Columbia

9 months ago

I think the experience at Ann Taylor depends on management. I have had both good and bad times working at Ann Taylor at different times and locations.

Retail is brutal and a person has to be in good physical shape for those long hours on the feet. But it can also be a lot of fun and a great way to meet people. But, if the management is immature and does not have their act together then it can be a mess. The wages are fair as far as my experience. Sometimes I think poor management is hired but the company can't do much about it because they are afraid of race related lawsuits or any kind of race discrimination case whatsoever.

The company tries to be both human and professional as possible, but there is only so much any corporation can do about the human element. That just depends on luck, as to where a person applies and what the people are like there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

washington in Washington, District of Columbia

9 months ago

Also, I recently had to open the store by myself, because the management and the associates seem to have a hard time getting it together. I did not appreciate this, as it is weird to be in a huge store by yourself. It wasn't safe and the job is becoming a joke.

The associates don't take some of the management seriously because some of the managers act like they are five and do not appreciate the staff. So, a lot of people are no calls no shows. I used to like Ann Taylor but I think it is becoming ghetto. People are hired who do not have the educational skills necessary for the position. They can't do the basic math that is needed for retail. They can also be over dramatic about having to serve clients, though that is what the job is about in the first place. Our store has had a lot of client complaints, and I can see why. It can be really trashy with, lazy uneducated managers and self absorbed associates.

And as for the style of dress, I have had no idea what to think when my manager shows up to work with tattoos showing and in keds. It's a joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

kroseirish in Springfield, Oregon

6 months ago

I recently interviewed for a co-manager position at the Ann Taylor LOFT store in Keizer, Oregon. I had a very positive experieince intially. I met with the district manager and shse told me she wantged me back for a second interview with the store manager. Again, this was a great experience, relevent questions, good discussion and I felt I pretty much had the job in the bag. I have good managerial experience, however, I do not have retail experience and felt that would be the only impediment to me not getting the job. I didnt hear anything back for a week and was very upset. The store manager said she would conatact me by the end of the week no matter what, she looked me in the eye and assured me of that. I was disappointed after not hearing anything so I decided to call the district manager and seek feedback as to why I was not selected for the position. I called and her reply was "well you didnt show up for the second interview with the store manager!" I absolutley did! I spent $60 on a great outfit, I studied the interview questions they might ask, I rehearsed those questions with my friend and I did really well on the second interview! I explained to her that I did, indeed, show up and felt the interview went well, thats why I was surprised to hear nothing back. She apologized and fumbled around trying to give me an answer for their incompetencies, but what it came down to was I was not even considered as a viable candidate in the end because they didnt communicate to eachother that I was even there! I have never dealt with such a frustrating interview experience. To feel I connected with those interviewing me so well, to put as much energy and effort as I did into getting this job, and then to have a stupid error on their end cause me to not be discussed for the position is pretty infuriating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.