How to get a job at Apex Systems.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

Do you work at Apex Systems? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

NewEmployee in Midlothian, Virginia

109 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Apex Systems? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

I was hired by Apex systems just a few days ago and haven't even gone through training yet. My advice for getting a personal interview is nailing the phone interview. Once you apply for the job, you are sent a list of questions to answer, after that, you will be asked to set up a phone interview. The interview will consist of behavioral based questions so be sure to prepare. Apex is big on teamwork, taking on challenges and being the best. Make sure you get that across and you can land the in person interview. The in-person interview is similar to the phone interview but longer and more intense. BE PREPARED, ask intelligent questions (their opinion on what makes a great recuiter, what are Apex's goals, etc). The interview is no joke, you need to let them know you really want to work there and what you can bring to the table.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Charles City, Virginia

108 months ago

Apex Systems is a good company - but good luck staying in commissions if its a slow quarter- we have a turnover rate like no other - the CEOs care about you but its just hard to be successful for a long time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Stan in Tampa in Richmond, Virginia

106 months ago

Apex is a good company if you are looking to go either up or out. If your good and work hard you will be highly rewarded. If you are mediocre and don't work hard, you will not be rewarded.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

japex in Chicago, Illinois

101 months ago

Apex is a company that does a lot of talking, but doesn't back it up. Half of their clients would never use them again if they knew the levels of employee turnover.
I worked at Apex for over 7 months and left about a year ago when I realized that they use all this "work hard play hard" (among other gems), to create a culture where you are so busy being pumped up about the possibility of riches, that you forget about the pathetic salary they give you. They use you to fill some positions, and hope you leave before you gain too much commission. That's how they make money.
I saw so many people come in go in only 7 months for so many reasons. I will give it to the guys in Richmond. They have developed a good system. Unfortunately, it's a good system for them and not for the employee.
The best thing to do is try getting through 6 months for the experience and get the hell out. I used the experience and am now making almost 3 times what I was there, because I'm somewhere where they know how to reward and KEEP employees. Just try not to be brain-washed with all the Boiler Room or Wall Street movie references.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

sickofthebullcrap in Hartsdale, New York

97 months ago

Dumbasses from this firm sent me emails about positions in VA, when my online resume and profile on every job board clearly state that I will only consider work within the NY Metro area. I bet they never took the time to read the resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

joe contractor in sanford, North Carolina

97 months ago

Sick of the bullcrap in Hartsdale, New York said: Dumbasses from this firm sent me emails about positions in VA, when my online resume and profile on every job board clearly state that I will only consider work within the NY Metro area. I bet they never took the time to read the resume.

you're basically right; headhunters use software tools to scan for buzzwords (c++, ASP, etc). recruiters are training grounds for sales types, not rockets scientists.

I was on a contract with Apex, and the same office called me to ask if I was interested in a contract somewhere else. pitiful.

on the upside, they paid consistenly (probably because their client paid them consistently). health care is lousy, they do have a matching 401k.. so for a wage slave, it's doable..

their markups are known for being higher than usual. 30 - 35% if they can get away with it.

stay away if you can; and don't give references until you have a job lined up; headhunters use the references as leads, so don't let them bother you're friends unless you have a job on the line.

Also, (last thing) don't reveal your current pay to them; tell them that your current contract prohibits you from disclosing your salary (which it very well may - just like their contracts prohobit the disclosure of rates).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jb8201 in Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania

96 months ago

I've been contracting for the last ten years and I can say very confidently Apex was one of the better companies I have worked for. Apex was one of the few companies that catered closely to what I was looking for and never wasted my time. I worked with one of their Technical Recruiters, Jessica Grossman, for a couple of months before I was placed with the company where I now work full time. For a staffing company, their benefits were far better than average and their matching 401k added quite a bit of value toward the tail end of my contract. I would highly recommend Jessica and Apex to any of my colleagues.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Locksmith2 in Western US

95 months ago

I've been contracting through Apex at the same position for over 3 years - yea I was told by the client they wouldn't ever hire me so not a big deal. My recommendation to ANYONE thinking of working through them is to get EVERYTHING in writing and force them to change the Written contract every time they don't follow it to the letter. Seems like they have no issues with changing the rules on the fly but when you try to get them to comply with agreements both verbal and email documented - they'll say too bad so sad it's not in the contract. Also be certain you get SIGNED copy of that contract with their representative's signature.

Overall, each branch office wants to keep everything in house so good luck if you want to speak with anyone from corporate. If you have an HR issue - you'll be dealing with your "Handler" who for the most part is clueless.

Read that contract and mark through anything you don't like including the part about everything falling under the control of the courts in Commonwealth of Virginia. Make them send their attorneys to your state to represent them, they can afford it better than you can. Also remember, they are simply a headhunter and their handlers are 20 somethings that roll through quickly. If it wasn't for the actual contract I'm on - I'd be out of here already but Apex's Client treats me really well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Danielle in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

36 months ago

Japex in Chicago, Illinois said: Apex is a company that does a lot of talking, but doesn't back it up. Half of their clients would never use them again if they knew the levels of employee turnover.
I worked at Apex for over 7 months and left about a year ago when I realized that they use all this "work hard play hard" (among other gems), to create a culture where you are so busy being pumped up about the possibility of riches, that you forget about the pathetic salary they give you. They use you to fill some positions, and hope you leave before you gain too much commission. That's how they make money.
I saw so many people come in go in only 7 months for so many reasons. I will give it to the guys in Richmond. They have developed a good system. Unfortunately, it's a good system for them and not for the employee.
The best thing to do is try getting through 6 months for the experience and get the hell out. I used the experience and am now making almost 3 times what I was there, because I'm somewhere where they know how to reward and KEEP employees. Just try not to be brain-washed with all the Boiler Room or Wall Street movie references.

Just curious as to where you ended up with a job and do you like it? Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.