$16 dollars an hour is not a living wage

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

DaniStJames in Los Angeles, California

80 months ago

Not to mention, $16 an hour beats sitting home on your couch wouldn't you think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Job Search Dolphin in Tampa, Florida

80 months ago

Guide

That's 33k, which for a single person w/no children would be viable in the Tampa Bay area, at least. Figure 70% of the gross salary (taking out 20% for taxes and 10% for benefits.) Comes to $1925 per month. Is it great? No.

But there are locations where it could work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Cyndi DuPont in Cleveland, Ohio

80 months ago

Are you kidding???
I would KILL for 16.00 an hour.
Try living on 8.00 an hour and then come talk to me.

Some people are just never happy.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

carol pearson in Birmingham, Alabama

74 months ago

Cyndi DuPont in Cleveland, Ohio said: Are you kidding???

seriously! im a single mom making 10 bucks an hour, i just wanna scream when people who make 30k a year call themselves poor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Monrovia, California

70 months ago

Cyndi DuPont in Cleveland, Ohio said: Are you kidding???

Hi- good for you ! You tell this guy, what is he thinking? $16.00 is almost 2 x minimum wage, it's more than what alot of people are getting these days. Be thankful for every penny.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

mrsbeaups in las vegas, Nevada

70 months ago

I would love 16.00 an hour and just to let you know appleone just cost me a job I do not do clerical work I am a designer and I was offered a job by a company and they will not hire me thru appleone wow a whole 8 bucks an hour and apple wants there cut so I am out of a job tuff for me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Edison, New Jersey

10 months ago

People get made fun of and talked down to for making $16 an hour. It's very degrading.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Josh in Las Vegas, Nevada

10 months ago

carol pearson in Birmingham, Alabama said: seriously! im a single mom making 10 bucks an hour, i just wanna scream when people who make 30k a year call themselves poor

You likely have lots and lots of tax breaks, plus a mega EOC check every tax season, When you are the target of the Democrats wrath, A Caucasian non union working class male, that 30K becaomes 12K after the Dems are done taxing you to death.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Better.luck.next.time in Albany, New York

10 months ago

carol pearson in Birmingham, Alabama said: seriously! im a single mom making 10 bucks an hour, i just wanna scream when people who make 30k a year call themselves poor

This is the problem in the US. A single person needs to make 35k to pay for housing, healthcare, etc. and save for retirement. A family of four needs to make 80k in order to save for retirment, college for kids, healthcare, mortgage, etc.

If the minimum wage were adjusted for living expenses, it would be $15 dollars and hour!!!

This is why people making $8+ an hour and even 33k a year are having a hard time. The sad joke is that the mid to low wage workers are all attacking each other. The problem is with wealth going to the top, and wealth controlling government, making it more difficult for the average citizen to break even.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

10 months ago

Better.luck.next.time in Albany, New York said: This is the problem in the US. A single person needs to make 35k to pay for housing, healthcare, etc. and save for retirement. A family of four needs to make 80k in order to save for retirment, college for kids, healthcare, mortgage, etc.

If the minimum wage were adjusted for living expenses, it would be $15 dollars and hour!!!

This is why people making $8+ an hour and even 33k a year are having a hard time. The sad joke is that the mid to low wage workers are all attacking each other. The problem is with wealth going to the top, and wealth controlling government, making it more difficult for the average citizen to break even.

In Texas, making $16.00 an hour would have you "$hitin' in some tall cotton". Its mostly $8.00 an hour around here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Better.luck.next.time in Albany, New York

10 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: In Texas, making $16.00 an hour would have you "$hitin' in some tall cotton". Its mostly $8.00 an hour around here.

Well, Texas is pretty much the face of the downfall of America, isn't it? Corporations moving in to suck up the water, leaving communities in drought, in a season that is already suffering from record drought. Waaaay at the bottom of education and providing health care and relief for poor children. An ex governor that has lined his pockets by selling off the land with no thought to consequences. Lots of jobs, but not at a sustainable, living wage. Yup, the wiild, wild west, take what you can and the hell with civics. The hell with the sustainability of the land or its people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Me in Nashville, Tennessee

6 months ago

Josh in Las Vegas, Nevada said: You likely have lots and lots of tax breaks, plus a mega EOC check every tax season, When you are the target of the Democrats wrath, A Caucasian non union working class male, that 30K becaomes 12K after the Dems are done taxing you to death.

what does race have to do with ANY of this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ITguy in San Antonio, Texas

4 months ago

Josh in Las Vegas, Nevada said: You likely have lots and lots of tax breaks, plus a mega EOC check every tax season, When you are the target of the Democrats wrath, A Caucasian non union working class male, that 30K becaomes 12K after the Dems are done taxing you to death.

No lie! I make right at 33k a year working in the IT field and I might as we'll be making half that after taxes of which I got zero of returned to me this year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sassyNNsweet in Brampton, Ontario

3 months ago

Sorry your having such a hard time but thats no reason to be envious of ppl who took the education and career approach to life when you did not. I cant live on 35k a year(my current salary) and have all the things I want out of life so I completely understand where that initial individuals comment came from. Just because you can eat and have a roof over your head doesnt mean your living a good quality of life, which is why Im going back to University. No, Im not grateful for what I have, I worked damn hard for it and deserve it and then some.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Say what? in Raleigh, North Carolina

1 month ago

$16 an hour is pathetic and I'm sad that corporations have convinced people that $30k/year is living high on the hog. With the cost of EVERYthing going up right now, people's wages should follow suit before we just all spiral to the bottom.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

1 month ago

Well, it's all relevant. If that person making $30k/year still cannot afford to put a decent roof over his/her head or pay basic bills or pay back student loans, they're kind of in the same boat as you. Poor is poor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

1 month ago

Say what? in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Well, it's all relevant. If that person making $30k/year still cannot afford to put a decent roof over his/her head or pay basic bills or pay back student loans, they're kind of in the same boat as you. Poor is poor.

Sorry, that should have said "relative", not "relevant".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Zack in Houston, Texas

18 days ago

It really just depends on the location and the person Mariah Carey couldn't survive off of $16 an hour Lorde could... see the difference....Texas may be face of the American downfall but New York would be the tail on that coin....so heads or tails.. lower pay with a lower cost of living or a higher pay with a higher costs of living if you're single it's time to invest into something that's going to be tax deductible do I think that's fair nope it's not my fault that people are having kid's when their not financially stabled so now i have to BUY a dang town house in order for me to get a tax break....see It all goes back to that good ole coin....unless you're in a position of power you're just simply another hamster in a cage regardless of what ethnicity YOU are because race has no scientific taxonomic importance when dealing with the same species..but that's another topic on a different forum....see ya!! Good luck to you all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.