Agenies....AppleOne and Why it Truly is ROTTEN

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

Female Manager in Las Vegas, Nevada

83 months ago

First let me tell you I am a senior manager, have an advanced degree, have worked almost exclusively -- and successfully -- for Fortune 500 companies but twice I have been in a situation where I was looking and twice I have tried to use the services of AppleOne. In short, they are unethical, deceitful and horrible at what they do. I do not base these comments on interaction with just one individual employed there but multiple. It's time we talk about just how bad this organization is without fear of retribution. Now let me go ghetto: They blow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tom in Dalzell, South Carolina

83 months ago

Is AppleOne trying to over-take RH as the worst Body Shop?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

barbra in Virginia Beach, Virginia

83 months ago

I have had quite a time with my local AppleOne office in Chesapeake, VA. From the impression I got the biggest concern of theirs was getting a copy of my Social Security card. At mt initial meeting my contact asked me for it. I told her that I didn't know I was supposed to bring it (I was being interviewed for a permanent placement position, not as a contracted employee)and she told me that company policy prevents her from asking me to bring it on over the phone. I had to actually make a special trip of 50 miles round trip to get it to her. I have not heard anything back since then.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stina in California

83 months ago

I went to an AppleOne agency in Southern California. First off, there were 5 people ahead of me when I got there at 11:30 a.m., despite the fact that I had made an appointment for that exact time 3 days in advance. The woman they assigned me to was a total moron. She asked what was one thing I was really good at, and I replied, "I have excellent grammar and writing skills." Not 30 seconds later, she asked what kind of work I'd like least, and I said I wasn't crazy about asking people to buy things they didn't need. At which point, she asked (and this is a direct quotation), "so you don't want no sales?" (Apparently excellent grammar is not something one should consider an important skill anymore.) I felt like I was talking over her the whole time. She could hardly understand anything on my resume, and asked what "archiving" meant. It was a waste of breath to explain that I worked at a university library's special collections. I have an advanced degree, but it isn't that vocationally useful. I plan to start a second master's degree soon, but need some time away from school to make some money. Because I need a job and not a career, I went to a staffing agency. That was the biggest waste of 3 or so hours. Every time I call her, she gets very snotty and tells me she only has bilingual jobs. If she'd been able to understand my resume at all, she'd see that I am bilingual--fluent in English and German. Those, however, are not desirable in the Los Angeles area. Apparently my 93 words per minute, 15000 keystrokes per hour and Master's degree in the history of religion aren't impressive to someone who likely didn't go to college. So maddening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

Manny in Covina, California

83 months ago

I agree.

There service is terrible. I logged on to their website and registered, filled out everything. I set up my appointment for the following day through the internet. They tell you to make sure you make enough space for the interview because it can take about 60 minutes because they want to make sure they have all the information they need in order to provide you with the best service possible. I got there this morning (30 minutes before my appointment), the receptionist was very friendly and gave me additional paper work to fill out (about 20 sheets). I read there brochures (nice). So I was thinking, I certainly came to the right place. I had been a general manager of company that gave service to about 1600 people on a monthly basis. I have a bachelor's degree in Business and bilingual (English/Spanish) and I had worked for the same company for 14 years.

She didn't spend more than 3 minutes with me. She simply told me there was nothing for me. "Go look else where, I'm sorry I didn't talk to you over the phone first, you could have avoided making the trip." She didn't even read my resume. I thanked her for her time, said good bye to the nice lady in the reception and left. WASTE OF TIME!!!!!

Where is the service??? That's what these people are paid to do, and they get a commission on it too. I can't find the logic to her behavior. If you're not happy with your job quit!!!!

Does anybody know of a better staffing agency? Please let me know. (Los Angeles)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Media Pro In Sin City in Las Vegas, Nevada

83 months ago

Female Manager in Las Vegas, Nevada said: First let me tell you I am a senior manager, have an advanced degree, have worked almost exclusively -- and successfully -- for Fortune 500 companies but twice I have been in a situation where I was looking and twice I have tried to use the services of AppleOne. In short, they are unethical, deceitful and horrible at what they do. I do not base these comments on interaction with just one individual employed there but multiple. It's time we talk about just how bad this organization is without fear of retribution. Now let me go ghetto: They blow.

It's almost laughable at this juncture. I relocated to Las Vegas a year and a half ago. I too am an educated professional who has worked in the Broadcast/Media field for 15 years. Surely an agency who touts themselves to be the 'best' in the biz could assist a sin city newbie such as myself. I interviewed with the Apple One AE, we'll call her Sam... I was told placement would not be an issue...she even seemed to be excited to have someone with my experience at hand. She told me that there were several positions that I was more than qualified for and I should expect a call for placement within a day or so. That was the last time I spoke to, heard from or had any communication with Miss Sam.....UNTIL about 3 weeks ago. I began getting these 'mass' emails about open positions. Of course I've already established myself with a fantastic company/fantastic position. I would never and could never recommend this agency. The most horrid communication and follow-up I have ever experienced in my life. If Sam worked for ME, she would be looking for an agency to find HER a position..I would never tolerate that kind of ridiculous behavior amongst my staff. Go direct, use Monster or any of the other multitudes of job fairs or events or websites available to you. Even the "old fahsioned" way...Le' ole' newspaper will open more doors to you than this "agency"...Happy Hunting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

josette Vettel

83 months ago

Stina in California said: I went to an AppleOne agency in Southern California. First off, there were 5 people ahead of me when I got there at 11:30 a.m., despite the fact that I had made an appointment for that exact time 3 days in advance. The woman they assigned me to was a total moron. She asked what was one thing I was really good at, and I replied, "I have excellent grammar and writing skills." Not 30 seconds later, she asked what kind of work I'd like least, and I said I wasn't crazy about asking people to buy things they didn't need. At which point, she asked (and this is a direct quotation), "so you don't want no sales?" (Apparently excellent grammar is not something one should consider an important skill anymore.) I felt like I was talking over her the whole time. She could hardly understand anything on my resume, and asked what "archiving" meant. It was a waste of breath to explain that I worked at a university library's special collections. I have an advanced degree, but it isn't that vocationally useful. I plan to start a second master's degree soon, but need some time away from school to make some money. Because I need a job and not a career, I went to a staffing agency. That was the biggest waste of 3 or so hours. Every time I call her, she gets very snotty and tells me she only has bilingual jobs. If she'd been able to understand my resume at all, she'd see that I am bilingual--fluent in English and German. Those, however, are not desirable in the Los Angeles area. Apparently my 93 words per minute, 15000 keystrokes per hour and Master's degree in the history of religion aren't impressive to someone who likely didn't go to college. So maddening.
Haaaaa! I have heard stories similar to yours but not this good. I am a life coach and I would like you to contact me jvlifecoach@netzero.net I will coach you through this mess get you where you have to go in the business world.
God Bless Josette Vettel Life Coach

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

josette Vettel

83 months ago

barbra in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I have had quite a time with my local AppleOne office in Chesapeake, VA. From the impression I got the biggest concern of theirs was getting a copy of my Social Security card. At mt initial meeting my contact asked me for it. I told her that I didn't know I was supposed to bring it (I was being interviewed for a permanent placement position, not as a contracted employee)and she told me that company policy prevents her from asking me to bring it on over the phone. I had to actually make a special trip of 50 miles round trip to get it to her. I have not heard anything back since then.
I think I can help you contact me at jvlifecoach@netzero.net
Don't give up I say....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

josette Vettel

83 months ago

Female Manager in Las Vegas, Nevada said: First let me tell you I am a senior manager, have an advanced degree, have worked almost exclusively -- and successfully -- for Fortune 500 companies but twice I have been in a situation where I was looking and twice I have tried to use the services of AppleOne. In short, they are unethical, deceitful and horrible at what they do. I do not base these comments on interaction with just one individual employed there but multiple. It's time we talk about just how bad this organization is without fear of retribution. Now let me go ghetto: They blow.
tee hee!!!! I like your style...I normally say "Blow Hard" I do life coaching let me help you get settled with your career and work placement.
When you e-mail me write of what you really would like to do with your talents I mean your real talents, I know by now your feelers are out to catch anyone who comes in your space deceitful if you don't like what I lecture then you can disconnect..but naa I was in your same position for many years, and decided to become a life coach and coach people out of this world of greed known as the employment placement. All I can say is give me a shot and I'll do the best I can for you. I think I can give you some direction.
Josette Vettel Coach..
P.S. "It won't be HARD to BLOW your own whistle when your train of sucess pulls out of the AppleOne train station and see's only the best side of your success riding on the back of your caboose.
See how much fun we are going to have...
jvlifecoach@netzero.net
God Bless Coach Josett Vettel

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Phyllis Fort Collins Colorado in Denver, Colorado

82 months ago

They stink!
I applied with them decades ago and the only job lead I got was looking over the "girls" shoulder and cutting them out of the hiring picture. Most of these agencies do not deserve any commissions from any company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

blessedbeauty in Wilmington, Delaware

82 months ago

You are absolutely correct! I am a professional with a 2 year degree and over 10 years experience in my field. I was contacted by appleone with them promising me a position. When I arrived at the office, the person that I was to meet with immediately left the office on "business." No one informed me that I would be meeting with a different recruiter. During my time in the office several of their contractors that were currently on assignement came in the office to pick up their pay checks for the week. Most of these people were young, unprofessional and borderline scary. Bottom line, are these the type of people that they send out to represent them? Would they rather I showed up for my interview in a t-shirt and jeans. Maybe if I had I would have received a call back from appleone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DontBeBlynd in Los Angeles, New York

72 months ago

Perhaps you should consider stating WHY you think that instead of just trashing a company. Were they not able to place you? Did you ask them WHY they weren't able to place you? Has every company other than AppleOne to which you've applied hired you? If not, have you made similar postings about them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

barbra in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I have had quite a time with my local AppleOne office in Chesapeake, VA. From the impression I got the biggest concern of theirs was getting a copy of my Social Security card. At mt initial meeting my contact asked me for it. I told her that I didn't know I was supposed to bring it (I was being interviewed for a permanent placement position, not as a contracted employee)and she told me that company policy prevents her from asking me to bring it on over the phone. I had to actually make a special trip of 50 miles round trip to get it to her. I have not heard anything back since then.

Even for a permanent job, client companies, for which an agency recruits, generally requires employees I9 verification is completed, otherwise they're wasting their time interviewing them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Stina in California said: I went to an AppleOne agency in Southern California. First off, there were 5 people ahead of me when I got there at 11:30 a.m., despite the fact that I had made an appointment for that exact time 3 days in advance. The woman they assigned me to was a total moron. She asked what was one thing I was really good at, and I replied, "I have excellent grammar and writing skills." Not 30 seconds later, she asked what kind of work I'd like least, and I said I wasn't crazy about asking people to buy things they didn't need. At which point, she asked (and this is a direct quotation), "so you don't want no sales?" (Apparently excellent grammar is not something one should consider an important skill anymore.) I felt like I was talking over her the whole time. She could hardly understand anything on my resume, and asked what "archiving" meant. It was a waste of breath to explain that I worked at a university library's special collections. I have an advanced degree, but it isn't that vocationally useful. I plan to start a second master's degree soon, but need some time away from school to make some money. Because I need a job and not a career, I went to a staffing agency. That was the biggest waste of 3 or so hours. Every time I call her, she gets very snotty and tells me she only has bilingual jobs. If she'd been able to understand my resume at all, she'd see that I am bilingual--fluent in English and German. Those, however, are not desirable in the Los Angeles area. Apparently my 93 words per minute, 15000 keystrokes per hour and Master's degree in the history of religion aren't impressive to someone who likely didn't go to college. So maddening.

Agency offices, even within the same company, may cater to a certain vertical more than others. Don't give up. Spread yourself around to other offices within the same agency and to other agencies as well, especially if you're just looking for busy-work while you pursue an advanced degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

I’ve seen a number of rants about employment agencies on several blogs and since I work for one, I thought it would be a good idea to explain things from OUR perspective. First of all, you’re not ALL qualified for the jobs you want. We post ads (yes, they are REAL jobs not fake jobs) based on the job descriptions our clients (our clients are COMPANIES, not YOU) give us. Since the companies pay us to find people for them, they are very strict and descriptive about the type of person they want. Many of you have short tenure at your prior jobs, leave your prior jobs for questionable reasons, or just demonstrate undesirable personalities…and somehow think an agency is going to work a miracle for you! It’s NOT gonna happen! We are hired by client companies, not jobseekers. Also, keep in mind you’re in competition with a LOT of other people! If you call us with a huffy attitude or entitlement issues, we’ll just pick someone else for the jobs. We’re busy and we may have to spend our time on people who are simply more qualified than you. That’s reality. More and more companies are using agencies like Kelly, AppleOne, Spherion, etc, to find people, either on a temp or perm basis. Companies are willing to pay a premium for a company who will weed out the whiners, the low-skilled, and arrogant people, and find them the best for any given job. You should spend your energy trying to be that desirable applicant instead of complaining that you’re not getting an ample hand-out from an employment agency that you haven’t rightfully earned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Phyllis in Boulder, Colorado

72 months ago

I live in Fort Collins. I have never had any luck with AppleOne. The "kids" (employees are clueless to the work world. They have a job and don't really care if you do. It does more damage to a competent employee with solid skills and knowledge about their craft, task or wages. AppleOne will continue to hire moron ditses for the lowest wages and waste and destroy the time of legitimate job seekers with their stupid-no results given testing tactics and lousy communication efforts that cost people money and dignity. Just remember "you're smarter than them!"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

deansuraci in Cornwall On Hudson, New York

72 months ago

Phyllis, I agree with one of your points.

Alot of the Headhunters who call me are YOUNG girls who are not well-spoken. I always get the sense that they are about 2-4 years removed from college and still love to party hard on the weekends.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Highland, California

70 months ago

Hi Manny - I had a similar experience. I sent in my resume and set up an appointment for consultation. I was specifically looking for a local position, perhaps temp to maintain some flexibility as I transitioned my career. I have 20+ years in Management, and did not expect to duplicate my 6 figure income.
To my surprise, the Agency called and cancelled my appointment, stating that they didn't work with "people like me", and that I should contact someone else. The young lady that called was not interested in hearing anything I had to say, and summarily dismissed me. She stated that hiring me would not be in their best interest, nor in the best interest of their clients. Interesting....I have a lot to offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mobius in Tempe, Arizona

32 months ago

Thanks for these posts!! I have been worried sick about AppleOne Arizona. They have ALL my private information and I have no idea what they might do with it. The state of Arizona is Number One for ID Theft!! I was contacted by this Agency. They said they had a job for me. I ran around town doing everything they asked me to do. Took UA tests, filled out forms, gave them my bank info for direct deposit. Then got a call two days later from AppleOne saying the job is cancelled. I haven't heard from them since. I called back once a week for about two weeks. Finally I was told you need to find another agency. I was NOT rude. I was always polite. I've never felt so duped in my life. I held my last job for 12 and one half years then came out of retirement to work again. Hard lesson learned but now I check the employment agency out real good before I use them. Can someone please tell me. What do agencies like AppleOne do with that information? How do I protect myself in the future? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

L.S. Griffin in Chesapeake, Virginia

7 months ago

Absolutely worthless! Take/pass tests and complete endless amounts of paperwork to get nothing!
Agents won't even follow-up on job leads they've discussed previously and when I call, they're never available. Same thing is true for the Newport News location. I will never go to this "employment agency" ever again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.