AppleOne - give it a rest

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Joanna in Glendale, California

88 months ago

Not many of you seem to get the Staffing Agency system. They meet with hundreds of people a month and usually only have 10-30 full time jobs to fill per month. You do the math. My guess is, if you didn't get a job with them, that you weren't qualified for the jobs or you weren't flexible enough for what they had open.
I registered with AppleOne and they found me a great job within a month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Margaret Fong in San Francisco, California

88 months ago

Joanna in Glendale, California said: Not many of you seem to get the Staffing Agency system. They meet with hundreds of people a month and usually only have 10-30 full time jobs to fill per month. You do the math. My guess is, if you didn't get a job with them, that you weren't qualified for the jobs or you weren't flexible enough for what they had open.
I registered with AppleOne and they found me a great job within a month.

Why is it only 10-30 full time jobs a month when they have over 10,000 people in their database? Everybody can come in every day that they are open and register and still won't get work. People have to work temp until they find something permanent on their own. Apple One is Apple nothing. You must have been laid off from a position and have at least a year experience working in that former company of yours before you started working for AppleOne. Why did it take them a month? If they were so great, they should found something within a week. Jobs are created everyday. So stop praising Apple One. Nothing but lies.

I tried to register for the San Mateo branch and this recruiter told me that they have the same jobs as the San Francisco branch.How can that be when San Francisco branch only find jobs for the residents of San Francisco and deal with comapnies of San Francisco? I am not an idiot. So, are you permananet yet? Most of the time they leave you in the database forever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Belle-Michele in Minneapolis, Minnesota

88 months ago

So, Joanna, tell us, just how long have YOU been working at AppleOne?

As far as I can tell, the only ones that AppleOne gets jobs for is the people working there.

AppleOne (and Aerotek, for that matter) is indeed some kind of sick joke inflicted upon those seeking a job in an already vicious job market.

I've come to the conclusion that NONE of their jobs actually exist....which begs the question(s), do they EVER place anyone in a job, and if not...just how the heck do they stay in business?

Every job I've applied for either was suddenly 'taken', or the employers cancelled, or I was told that 'oops, we thought we took that posting down'...etc., etc., etc.

AppleOne runs the exact same Bogus job ads in a four week cycle... If you missed seeing a particular posting don't worry, they'll be posting it again in a few weeks. The job doesn't exist, but that doesn't seem to matter to places like AppleOne and Aerotek...

I went to Kelly Services this morning, filled out their paperwork, took their tests, and I've already gotten a call about an available temp position... KELLY SERVICES ROCK!!! It's nice to know there are some reputable and legitimate temp/employment agencies still out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Worm in the Apple in Nashville, Tennessee

87 months ago

Belle - you rock!

AppleOne is a SALES company. I'm getting SO tired of seeing on here "well if they couldn't place you, you must have not been qualified or flexible". I'm SOOO happy your AppleOne buddies got you a job in 30 days! WOW! They are SOOOO great, aren't they? What are they paying you, $11/hr? Isn't that poverty level? You must be OK with that.

You're fighting an uphill battle on here, sweetheart. 98% of the comments about AO are negative. YOU do the math.

Let me tell you my AO story. Signed up, went in, looked super-professional, have excellent experience, the very same day they sent me on an interview. They said "client will pay $40k/annually". I went & the "client" wanted me to start. That's when things went downhill, fast. I was supposed to start on a Monday. I called my AO office Thursday prior & asked what my hourly rate would be. They said they couldn't tell me because their computers were down. I called Friday & they said the same thing.(Computers down for 2 days??) Finally, on Friday afternoon I reached a sales rep who informed me I'd be making $12/hr. WHAT? I thought you said $40k/annually. "No", the AppleOne rep said..."you work for AO for 1000 hours @ $12/hr. & then the client can hire you if you work out". I'm sorry but there's a big difference there! $12/hr vs $22/hr?

You want ANOTHER MATH lesson? AppleOne pays their "placed employees" $12/hr but bills the client company $30/hr. The salespeople - sorry - counselors (hehe) get a big fat commission if you're retarded enough to work for them 1000 hours. 1000 x 30=$30,000 (what they bill the client); 1000 x 12=$12,000 (what they pay you)...ummm, the $18,000 is PROFIT. Some AO employees will come on here & say "oh we have expenses like payroll & overhead & unemployment & wah wah wah" like they don't get a puffy bonus off a "successful placement".

Know what I did? Said "OK" and slept in that Monday...he he he. Found job ON MY OWN paying $52k. Now that's a math equation I like!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

annoyed in Mission Viejo, California

87 months ago

Ok people, i work for a different staffing agency right now, and you need to realize a few things...

yes, it is a SALES job. unfortunately for every 50 people we talk to, there's probably only ONE job we're working. Yes there are a ton of jobs out there. But not every company is successful enough to pay our fees. Yes, we are expensive. I do full time placements and charge companies 25% of your first year salary. Most of our time is spent looking for new companies that are hiring, FOR YOU.

If we can't place you right away, you may be a little more junior in experience, you may have a completely different set of skills than what theyre looking for, you could be over qualified and they cant afford you, or there just arent any companies we can pick up right now.

no one told you to make us your one stop shop for job searching. you can search the boards if you want and check craigslist. they probably get about 400 resumes for each posting and yours will sit on the HR desk for 2 weeks. We actually talk to the MANAGER.

So yes, we cant place EVERYONE, and yes it's unfortunate for you. its unfortunate for us too because the more jobs we find, the more money we make as well. its not like we dont care. we're looking for money too. so im sorry if you arent what the companies we have are looking for. we cant force you on them, but we try our best. if you can find a job on your own, GO FOR IT, and if we can place you, WE WILL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Glendale, California

86 months ago

I wish the math lesson was correct. I would be making A LOT (yes - a lot is 2 words) more $$$ than I am now!!! However, the math lesson is not accurate. We make a % off perm and temporary placements. Of course, we make a hgiher % off perm placements. We want all of you to get hired perminently. Some of the candidates I see have poor stability. My clients won't pay the fee just to replace the candidate in 3 months. Either way WORM, I know you don't work for free. Neither do I. I don't call candidates with positions paying less than their $ requirements. Some of us are ethical. That is why I have a huge referal base!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Recruiter in Washington, District of Columbia

86 months ago

Here is a lesson from a recruiter that was a CPA before getting into the biz.

First and foremost, only an un-ethical worm will mark up a temp fee over 100% If you are being paid $12 and being billed out at $30 that's a problem. Someone being billed out at $30 should be making $17-$18/hr as a bookkeeper.

Second, most perm placement recruiters have a hard time placing candidate with more than say 5-10 years experience. This is not the case, I've noticed recently with legal secretaries though. But for accounting and admin recruiters are generally looking for 2-7 years experience because that is what companies will pay our fees for. Most will not pay a fee for a 20 year bookkeeper or a 20 year office manager, that's just my take on things. If you are making $50k as an Accounts Payable Coordinator, My GOODNESS stay there! Even a fantastic recruiter isn't going to get you more money to do that job somewhere else.

As far as seeing 70 people a week and all that non-sense, it does exist. But I'll say this: Find a smaller service that only brings in the people they think they can use. I see 5-7 people a week and I place about 1/2 of them. The last thing I want is to have 60 people calling me every week asking for work when I don't have it from them. If I bring you in, I think I have a shot at either placing you immediately or marketing your skills to my clients.

Ok, hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jud Buschler in Orlando, Florida

86 months ago

Worm in the Apple in Nashville, Tennessee said:

You want ANOTHER MATH lesson? AppleOne pays their "placed employees" $12/hr but bills the client company $30/hr. The salespeople - sorry - counselors (hehe) get a big fat commission if you're retarded enough to work for them 1000 hours. 1000 x 30=$30,000 (what they bill the client); 1000 x 12=$12,000 (what they pay you)...ummm, the $18,000 is PROFIT. Some AO employees will come on here & say "oh we have expenses like payroll & overhead & unemployment & wah wah wah" like they don't get a puffy bonus off a "successful placement".

Know what I did? Said "OK" and slept in that Monday...he he he. Found job ON MY OWN paying $52k. Now that's a math equation I like!

First of all...TERRIBLE math on what candidate is paid vs. company charged. It's not that much of a bill rate.

Second...as for the no call no show...you are trash, pure and simple. You are what people try to avoid in life. That kind of irresponsible nonsense is gonna catch up to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

HRGuy in Reno, Nevada

85 months ago

Worm in the Apple in Nashville, Tennessee said:
"No", the AppleOne rep said..."you work for AO for 1000 hours @ $12/hr. & then the client can hire you if you work out". I'm sorry but there's a big difference there! $12/hr vs $22/hr?

I have to comment on this. I am shocked that someone would actually pay you that much to work in their office.. your math is let's just say.. really not there! There is also a decent difference between 40K and $22/hour.. as for your bill rate example, don't you think that is a bit outrageous. Anyone that knows anything will see that is wrong. Let's us see.. there is w/c and unemployment, etc. that has to be paid, but your normal office job at $12/hour will actually have a bill rate of $20/hour.. which.. is.. wait for it.. $41,600/year.. oh look at that.
As for the no call no show... someone actually hired you and you pull that stuff? Is that how you left your last job.. your M-O? Still in shock that someone is paying you $52K per year.. LOL.. my former admin makes that.. but she can spell and knows math.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melinda Holley in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

Apple One isn't any different that other staffing companies. Since moving I've talked with 6 different agencies. Since I have 2 degrees and over 30 years of experience, you would think that one of them would have come up with an interview. Nada. Nothing. One agency came up with a temp job which is where I'm working now.

As for Apple One, well, I applied online for one of their positions. Two days later, I called the person I'd registered with to see if it had been received. She referred me to the office closest to the actual job location. She said she was waiting to hear back from them but here's their phone number. So I called...only to be told by THAT office that I shouldn't even be talking with them. When I asked some very specific questions about the job & their methodology, I either got a laugh or attitude.

Another agency (Dubin Group) called me into one office then months later told me I was actually being handled out of another office. When I called THAT office, I was told they couldn't place me until I lived within 20 miles of Philadelphia (which I don't) and that I was handled from the other office. So pardon me if I'm greatly confused.

And I truly do believe that the vast majority of jobs posted on the job boards (Monster & Career Builder) are what I call fishing lures. They keep showing up. And when specifically ask about them, they've either (1) just been filled; (2) been closed for some time and it takes a while to get them off the job boards (I've heard 2 weeks to as long as 6 weeks); or (3) we've just been advised by the client to put that on hold.

So I say congratulations to those who have obtained employment through these agencies. But I have to say, that was probably more luck than any work on the part of the agencies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cassie in Las Vegas, Nevada

85 months ago

Well...reading all this Bull Sh*t on here makes me discouraged, as I am job hunting in Vegas and just set up an intreview to meet with an AO recruiter. Some of you, with complaints, sound much like bitter old women who have nothing better to do than gripe and complain. I will keep my appointment tomorrow, keep my options open and continue to search for a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Charlene Gibson in Phoenix, Arizona

48 months ago

Cassie in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Well...reading all this Bull Sh*t on here makes me discouraged, as I am job hunting in Vegas and just set up an intreview to meet with an AO recruiter. Some of you, with complaints, sound much like bitter old women who have nothing better to do than gripe and complain. I will keep my appointment tomorrow, keep my options open and continue to search for a job.

I was thinking the same thing! I think you have a great attitude and you should be happy to get a call back. That means they are interested in you and if you do well, there will be more posibilities for you. Stay positive and be flexible because I have been placed with clients a few times already. Some people can get to work faster than others because they fit with what the client needs. Continue your search and definately keep options open. Register with other agencies and go on the job boards to market yourself and increase your chances.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

char007 in Bellflower, California

39 months ago

Margaret Fong in San Francisco, California said: Why is it only 10-30 full time jobs a month when they have over 10,000 people in their database? Everybody can come in every day that they are open and register and still won't get work. People have to work temp until they find something permanent on their own. Apple One is Apple nothing. You must have been laid off from a position and have at least a year experience working in that former company of yours before you started working for AppleOne. Why did it take them a month? If they were so great, they should found something within a week. Jobs are created everyday. So stop praising Apple One. Nothing but lies.

I tried to register for the San Mateo branch and this recruiter told me that they have the same jobs as the San Francisco branch.How can that be when San Francisco branch only find jobs for the residents of San Francisco and deal with comapnies of San Francisco? I am not an idiot. So, are you permananet yet? Most of the time they leave you in the database forever.

I agree I had a very bad experience with Appleone. I told them that I was looking for a job that had benefits and I was looking for a perm job. They found a job for me and it was temp to perm but they fail to tell me that the company did not offer benefits. So when I went back to the agency they told me nothing is perfect in this world. So that let me think they did not give a hoot about me. I have a better choice of words but could not put it on here. Anyway DO NOT TRUST APPLE ONE. I repeat DO NOT TRUST APPLE ONE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

char007 in Bellflower, California

39 months ago

I agree I had a very bad experience with Appleone. I told them that I was looking for a job that had benefits and I was looking for a perm job. They found a job for me and it was temp to perm but they fail to tell me that the company did not offer benefits. So when I went back to the agency they told me nothing is perfect in this world. So that let me think they did not give a hoot about me. I have a better choice of words but could not put it on here. Anyway DO NOT TRUST APPLE ONE. I repeat DO NOT TRUST APPLE ONE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida

39 months ago

char007 in Bellflower, California said: I agree I had a very bad experience with Appleone. I told them that I was looking for a job that had benefits and I was looking for a perm job. They found a job for me and it was temp to perm but they fail to tell me that the company did not offer benefits. So when I went back to the agency they told me nothing is perfect in this world. So that let me think they did not give a hoot about me. I have a better choice of words but could not put it on here. Anyway DO NOT TRUST APPLE ONE. I repeat DO NOT TRUST APPLE ONE

I don't like Apple One but you it isn't up to them to find you a full time with benefits.

You go to a recruiter or you look on your own.

They're a temp agency. They're to do nothing more than place people in temp assignments.

You don't rely on someone like Apple One to find you a full time job with benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

char007 in Long Beach, California

39 months ago

Yes I agree it is up to me to find my own job with benefits. But when a agency tell you that a company have benefits than they should live up to their word. After all your word is your bond.

That is way when you go with an agency they ask you all of these questions so they can place you with the best possible employer. That means everything you ask the agendy for that is who they shoul place you with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida

39 months ago

char007 in Long Beach, California said: Yes I agree it is up to me to find my own job with benefits. But when a agency tell you that a company have benefits than they should live up to their word. After all your word is your bond.

That is way when you go with an agency they ask you all of these questions so they can place you with the best possible employer. That means everything you ask the agendy for that is who they shoul place you with.

Well they're one of the worst. I used them when I lived in CA. I interviewed at the Glendale office and did all the testing. When I asked them to send my information over to the Pasadena office as it was closer to home they said they couldn't find my information and could I come in and test again!

I decided against it, as they never had anything for me.

As you know it takes a couple of hours to take the tests. I remember this big fat slob eating a bagel in Glendale as she is setting my up for the testing. Really professional.

Nowadays they just want to place a body in a job so they can get paid.

They don't care about matching you up.

Temp agencies are not what they used to be.

char007 in Long Beach, California

39 months ago

I agree you are so right. Thanks for all of the information. It was great blogging with you.
until next time. Have a great day

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.