AppleOne is OK

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

HRGuy in Reno, Nevada

86 months ago

As a former staffing industry rep (No not for AppleOne) I can tell you that they are OK. I have never had a problem getting work through them when needed and the wages are pretty fair. The posting that atucually brought me to this blog is my position her in Reno, that is I am the one that contacted them to do recruitment for a direct hire position, so many of the positions are real and I can attest that they fill fast. Again, coming from someone that is involved in the industry and has been a Staffing Manager at a "temp" service it's the squeeky wheel that gets the grease. You too as the job seeker need to stay fresh in the consultants minds, you need to be available for the phone call should it come through and you need to take the initiative to call to see if there are positions available, it's not just register with the service and they will call you, you need to let them know you are interested, you need to stay fresh in their minds, you need to be pro-active in your job search. You should be contacting them to let them know you are available. If you are not happy with the outcome of your job search, try another agency, if you get the same run around, try another one, if you keep getting that run around perhaps there is a reason deeper inside of you that needs to be examined. Take some responsibility for your job search rather than placing the blame on someone because *YOU* can not get a job. Don't just assume that you deserve a job, no one deserves a job, it's something that you get when you have the skills, knowledge, drive to succeed and desire to do well at what you do, you need to want to work, you need to do good at an assignment and you need to be reliable and have viable skills or you won't get a call or won't get a call back. Not even McDonald's will hire you if there isn't some commitment to present yourself professionally, and some drive to succeed. My final thought is quit complaining and take some responsibility for yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

qa in Denver, Colorado

86 months ago

Stop selling your sinking ship!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

HRGuy in Reno, Nevada

86 months ago

I am not selling a sinking ship, just trying to convey a point. Yes they may not have the best service in all branches. There may be some questionable ads even. However, if you have reasonable expections on what a staffing firm can do for you, you wouldn't have a reason to complain. Again, coming from staffing I have seen it all, and I can tell you that the people that complain, the people that don't get call backs, the people that go out to jobs only to last a day before they get a call saying don't go back are the ones that don't want to work or have such high expections for salary, etc. that it's completely impossible to find them a position. So to bring this back into perspective. Don't complain because you can't get a job, be proactive, register with more than one firm, try to find a job on your own rather than sitting around all day waiting for the phone to ring and complaining when it doesn't, try being self sufficient. It's sad to look around at people that claim to want to work, but will do and say anything to avoid working, then complain that someone else couldn't get them a job. It's your responsibility to get your own job. I just wish that welfare and assistance were truely just for those that had real disabilities and those that were truely in need because they were unable to, after legitimately making an effort, secure employment and I wish that they were short term. POINT: Take some responsibility for yourself. Stop relying on me and everyone that has taken responsibility for our lives to support you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Ontario CA in Ontario, California

86 months ago

As a customer for APPLEONE as well as an attempt to be a CANDIDATE, they are woefully incompetent. They regularly post executive jobs that I am more than qualifed to fill, and I never hear from them. Meanwhile, I get calls from OTHERS for the many of the same positions.

They may be okay at clerical level, but they are HORRIBLE at the Exec Placement market. I tried dealing with 3 Inland Empire offices of AppleOne and got nowhere. I even tried to help them by reaching Shane Riley, Regional Director.

It turned out to be no more rewarding than any other communication with Apple One personnel. It started out with the usual "tell me about your experience" question, but I wasn't given the opportunity to ever complete the story. Or to really get into it either. I was verbally run over, listening to a litany of explanations on various parallel but barely related topics. He did a magnificent job of defending Apple One and its business model/practices, but he barely listened to me. That's because I didn't get much of a chance to tell him anything.

During the 30+ minutes we were on the telephone I doubt that I allowed to speak for 5 minutes total. In fact, after several interruptions by him early on, he informed me (at 8:05 AM) that he had to go into a meeting in 10 minutes. He then proceeded to "explain Apple One" for the next 15. I was never really given an opportunity to fully present my experience, and toward the end I was asked to "quickly summarize the reasons you want to sever the Apple One relationship".

STEER CLEAR OF THEM, they are bad news.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

HRGuy in Reno, Nevada

86 months ago

Now that is a legit gripe, no "they couldn't find me's", Just straight up experiences with those offices, and you moved on rather than pointing fingers. They are better at lower positions they rarely are successful with the exec type positions, unless you are dealing with a high end recruiter in one of their high end offices... As far as the getting run over thing.. dunno what to say there, but my kudos to you for getting the point of my message.. you warned people of your experience but you didn't have a case of the poor me's.. nicely done..you have command of your destiny simply by moving on and using multiple firms.. which just a heads up to everyone, I used to place ghost ads too when I was in staffing, it's something that ALL firms do to get resumes to skill market out to companies, I actually left the company I was with because I felt it to be dishonest.. Anyway.. if you are a higher level managment person staffing firms aren't for you.. you will have much better luck on your own.. no one wants to pay fees anymore..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Candidate in Florida in Glendale, California

85 months ago

I have went thru Temp agencies for my last three jobs over a 15 year period and I agree with the HR guy in Reno fully. My first job I went in as a temp and was offered a job by the company in two months this lasted for 10 years, my second job as as a temp at $12 hr I was hired in three months as a Director of Sales at 55k a year for five years and my third job was a temp at $12 hour and hired in two months at 50k per year so what I am trying to say is that if you are positive and willing to work for it it presents a great way to get in. The people on these web sites that moan and groan and blame everyone but themself are real losers and nothing more. Get a life people and look at yourself are you presentable, bright, articulate with the skills that the temp agency needs .maybe there is a reason you cann't get your own jobs ..Hey there is a thought

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Ontario CA in Ontario, California

85 months ago

Candidate in Florida in Glendale, California said: I have went thru Temp agencies for my last three jobs over a 15 year period and I agree with the HR guy in Reno fully. My first job I went in as a temp and was offered a job by the company in two months this lasted for 10 years, my second job as as a temp at $12 hr I was hired in three months as a Director of Sales at 55k a year for five years and my third job was a temp at $12 hour and hired in two months at 50k per year...

While I agree that some are just moaning, I think your position is taking the moral high ground. OF COURSE there duds out there,BUT not everyone that is IGNORED by Apple One and other agencies are duds, either.

I think its GREAT when someone "gets a break" and applaud you if its real. Here's another splash of reality.

Started as $12 an hour? It appears you have few marketable skills. $55k a year hardly qualifies as a senior executive level. I question why a Director of Sales is paid only $55k a year, anywhere in the US. Sounds more like an advertising manager position. Did you report to the President or CEO? At least you were employed, and hopefully this streak continues when you are into your mid 50's and beyond.

Those of us with higher educations and experiences in the "Boardroom" that haven't "temped" have employment issues, because Apple One is guilty of misrepresentation (not having real job orders), or even worse, age descrimination.

There ARE chronic complainers on this board. At the same time, Apple One is GUILTY AS CHARGED. These are not mutually exclusive positions, BOTH are true.

Those of us who know how to dress, have degrees, with a plethora of work experience and the energy/desire to BE EMPLOYED also have reason to be rightously indignant. WE AREN'T looking for a freebie, just an opportunity. Apple One is either incompetent, misleading or uses illegal practices and is able to cover it up, at least for now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Los Angeles, California

85 months ago

All you people who are complaining about staffing companies- GET A GRIP! First instead of complaining, you should be out looking for a JOB! Second- You don't pay the agency- this a service, you chose to go to an Agency and have someone ASSIST you with your search. HELL-O!!!!! Third, maybe your not getting a position because of your attitude, no job stability (job hoper), don't have the skills, the list can go on..........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

FINGUY in Ontario, California

85 months ago

Anonymous in Los Angeles, California said: All you people who are complaining about staffing companies- GET A GRIP! First instead of complaining, you should be out looking for a JOB! Second- You don't pay the agency- this a service, you chose to go to an Agency and have someone ASSIST you with your search. HELL-O!!!!! Third, maybe your not getting a position because of your attitude, no job stability (job hoper), don't have the skills, the list can go on..........

DEAR ANON - What makes you think WE AREN'T LOOKING? What do you think we are doing at the INDEED web, MONSTER, CAREER BUILDER, The Ladders, Six Figure jobs,walking into the Robert Half, Ajilon, Apple One,Manpower offices et.al.?

Second, we DO PAY THE AGENCY. You think they are a social service funded of the State/Federal government? They earn based on what we do for them, and we get a piece, and the truth is they typically get 45% of the gross billing for temp, and 15% to 35% of first year earnings for a regular placement.

Third, while there probably are some that lack skills, attitude, etc. THERE REST OF US are qualified, educated and motivated.

When we don't get jobs because of Age, Sex, Racial Discrimination, just plain deceit, we have a right to beef. When these outfits try to recruit, lying about the opportunity even being available, then blow the whistle of the "employee with the roving eye" there is a need to speak out. Job Hoppers? There are few jobs that last more than 5 years with any company because of "Right-sizing, down-sizing, trimming the fat, relocations, mergers, layoffs, consolidations, shared services" and just plain closures. We quickly move jobs to India to get the $500 a YEAR Technical support employee (Dell, HP etc.) and then wonder why so many are looking that are motivated/educated.

HELL-O!
Hope you have a grip, because someday your own recruiting-stafffing job will disappear. Like the bank employees of old, ANY warm body can do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Is it REALLY that NECESSARY? in Los Angeles, California

85 months ago

It is amazing how I have stumbled upon this site to find the array of frustrated job seekers such as myself, yet I still stand apart from the pack with one very distinct difference...professionalism. While I too, recently sought employment (And might I add, what seemed to be an endless journey), though frustrated, I continued to stay positive, and promoted myself as such. Yes, I too utilized the services of not only AppleOne, but other employment services as well. With the attitude that it is better to have multiple avenues, than to solely work it alone. Have I received favorable feedback from all?..No. However, because I distinctly promoted myself to my Account Executive (and yes it was AppleOne), in a professional manner, with reasonable expectations of the current market (and we all know it doesn't look good for many career industries currently)for my person of my experience (and yes, I hold an MBA, not a "job hopper", and can run with the best of them), my outcome was quite different from those of whom have posted comments previous to mine.

I made sure I kept in contact with her consistantly (through all of the "I have nothing at this time"), all the while knowing that the service is an "additional tool" to my career search. Nevertheless, I am proud to report that the position I chose was from AppleOne versus the other opportunities that I had a chance to accept. Am I happy in my position...VERY! As stated previously, I was part of the frustrated pool of candidates, yet I continued to to stay positive and kept my level of professionalism.

Last but not least, I know there may be some who will be offended from my submission. The thought of "what gives her to right to say, I'm not professonal!" (or close to it) MAY run through your mind, as you quickly think up a reply to submit.

And then it is at that moment...I have just proved my point.

In any event, I really do wish you the best in your career search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Congrats to the one of the ONLY satisfied customers... You were lucky and found the only person in Apple One that is effective. Kindly post her name and number so others may benefit. The bulk of individuals I encountered, including the upper management were barely literate. Those that were literate, were unreasonable. See my posting of 29 days ago refernecing Shane and others.

Your tone is distinctly different now, than earlier. For whatever reason. Let me ask just one question. Is your income in the upper 5 figures or greater? While you have an MBA, are you truly employedand compensated at the level you are educated and capable, or just employed?

It was a pretty high-handed posting from you earlier today. The second posting is far more reasonable. Help the others with what you learned. After all, you are employed and the rest of us aren't a threat. Or are we?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fed-upandFrustrated in Washington, District of Columbia

85 months ago

FINGUY in Ontario, California said: DEAR ANON - What makes you think WE AREN'T LOOKING? What do you think we are doing at the INDEED web, MONSTER, CAREER BUILDER, The Ladders, Six Figure jobs,walking into the Robert Half, Ajilon, Apple One,Manpower offices et.al.?

Second, we DO PAY THE AGENCY. You think they are a social service funded of the State/Federal government? They earn based on what we do for them, and we get a piece, and the truth is they typically get 45% of the gross billing for temp, and 15% to 35% of first year earnings for a regular placement.

Third, while there probably are some that lack skills, attitude, etc. THERE REST OF US are qualified, educated and motivated.

When we don't get jobs because of Age, Sex, Racial Discrimination, just plain deceit, we have a right to beef. When these outfits try to recruit, lying about the opportunity even being available, then blow the whistle of the "employee with the roving eye" there is a need to speak out. Job Hoppers? There are few jobs that last more than 5 years with any company because of "Right-sizing, down-sizing, trimming the fat, relocations, mergers, layoffs, consolidations, shared services" and just plain closures. We quickly move jobs to India to get the $500 a YEAR Technical support employee (Dell, HP etc.) and then wonder why so many are looking that are motivated/educated.

HELL-O!
Hope you have a grip, because someday your own recruiting-stafffing job will disappear. Like the bank employees of old, ANY warm body can do it.

I could not have said it better! : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Annie2 in Frisco, Texas

85 months ago

Apple One has a bigger sign, at our place, than we do. We outsourced FTE's and replaced them Apple One contractors. We're not saving money and contractors are worthless. Is there some under the table money or what?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Job Search Dolphin in Tampa, Florida

85 months ago

Guide

I used to be in staffing as co-owner of a small firm. The recession took us out of business. During our time we made every effort to keep lines of communication open with both candidates and clients. When someone interviewed for us we ALWAYS let them know what happened. And we returned calls from candidates.

Do I think that some staffing firms do this? Yes.
Most? No.

I've read a lot of comments about negative experiences. And in my own job searching in years past I've had "mixed" levels of success.

I believe the staffing business itself overall has disintegrated in quality as so many more firms are around. There's great turnover at many agencies and I've been underwhelmed a number of times with the lack of skills/abilities of someone I've dealt with. I'm 48 and have owned 2 businesses; being talked to as if I'd first seen the alphabet 2 weeks ago is demeaning.

1. There are good agencies. It's just hard to know who they are. Clearly from city to city franchises are not consistent. See who you know who has had a good experience with any agency. That might be a place to start.
2. Agencies don't "take" your salary. That percentage is NOT coming from what you'd be paid in most cases. Staffing firms are in business; the fees cover costs. And most employers are used to paying fees if they hire using external resources.
3. If your job search includes agencies, it's only part of the equation. I can see that people work hard for job searches (I'm in Career Services, now, and see that firsthand with some grads who really put in effort as I try and help.)
4. Venting is healthy. I'm glad the board is here for that.
5. Stay positive, stay focused and call directly into employers. That's where more jobs are! If any employment agency of staffing firm gives you grief or treats you badly, it's THEIR loss!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

J_R in Austin, Texas

84 months ago

This was the situation with the AppleOne located around 11149 Research Blvd. In the past i had registered with AppleOne. My recruiter was David Romero. I had taken an assesment test. After that i called my recruiter to get the results and to find out how advanced the tests were. Prior to taking the test, i had told him that my software knowledge was basic.
I could not get a strait answer from him about that. I read in his e mail that there would be some job openings over at Dell in Round Rock and to let him know what other fields i would have interest in. The e-mail also noted that my testing scores were below national average.
That was around the date of September 13, 2006. I beleive that i told him what positions i would be available for and i do remember him telling me that he would follow up with me to give me a call on a certain day. He would never call me on the day that he said he would. That let me know that this man was being dishonest with me.
So i requested to speak with the supervisor to give her my complaint and to get a strait answer. She finnally told me about the status of my testing and about the company policy etc. Then as i went to complain about how the recruiter was not being truthful she started to disagree with me saying that i was being difficult to work with. I did try to explain my situation but the supervisor did not seem to care about it and was very bias towards me. Other days she would get rude and short with me over the phone.
So finnally i had spoken with her supervisor named Jan but she had received a note from Tiffany about how i was being irate and making threats over the phone. So Jan who is the corporate supervisor with the AppleOne human resources department just went with the lie that Tiffany had created against me. I even tried to call recently around 08/2007 to reason or get a understanding with Tiffany but she just told me ' We can not speak with you on a branch level'.
I also made contact with her supervisor Jan b

J_R in Austin, Texas

84 months ago

I truly beleive that the Appleone personnel located at 11149 Research Blvd is managed by Bigots!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Industry-Experienced in Phoenix, Arizona

84 months ago

If it wasn't for my seven years in the industry that made me realize the psychology of the unemployed or unhappily-employed, I would think that J_R & FINGUY probably couldn't pass drug screening to secure a job. With their lack of respect for their recruiters, it's not a wonder why they haven't had success. I am a college graduate and have been in sales (and finance) for a number of years. I will honestly tell you that working in the recruiting industry was by far the most challenging position I have ever held. The reason is evident throughout this chain of comments.

The "product", if you will, that the industry sells is people like the ones on this chain - emotional and frustrated people. Another reality is that most staffing firms place less than 40% of the people they interview. If you have received a position through an agency, it's not because you weren't in the top 60%, it's has to do primarily with timing, and often times because of other factors that deal with experience and job stability requirements. And, contrary to FINGUY's comment, the client companies pay the fees - not the candidates - and the recruiters are at the mercy of meeting their client's requirements (FINGUY - if I'm wrong, I would love to see a copy of the check you paid to an agency). So, try working in an industry where 3 out of 5 people you meet end up feeling dissatisfied because they feel as though they should have received a job from you based on the time they've spent there and their belief in how their qualifications either compare to others or the client's requirements. Those remaining 60% typically assign blame to their recruiter and refuse to consider most other reasons. After all, if they were as qualified as they believed, they would have found a position on their own rather than blaming the recruiter.

J_R & FINGUY... have you applied with the post office? Based on the stereotypes, you may find it a match. ;0)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Ontario: I thoroughly enjoyed reading your commentary about Shane Riley because your brief experience with him is an accurate representation of how he conducts himself - he LOVES to hear himself speak. I met with him once and know a couple of people who work (or have worked) for him. Shane Riley is referred to as "Pain Smiley" by many of his subordinates because of his management style - for the most part, he tells people what they want to hear but then takes back-door measures to discipline/reprimand them. From my understanding, he was extremely successful in the Inland Empire but failed miserably when given the opportunity to help improve the NY market. Apparently he recently joined the AZ area and is running people off like crazy (one friend of mine left, the other is looking).

Hindsight is always 20/20 but I am very thankful that I didn't continue to pursue an opportunity with that company and under his leadership. Like you, I had the same impression of Shane (aka Pain) and trusted my gut.

I'm sorry for your frustration but thankful you shared.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Dear Experienced
As far as applying with the post office, I am far too qualified and already employed. As far as the client company paying the fees and not me... You are right as well as wrong. As CFO, once palced I get to pay my own fee, with the companies funds which I still view as mine. Without that view, I couldn't be effective.

The reason for the displeasure of some candidates can be a result of their own shortcomings, sometimes. Then there are those that have been lied to, deceived or however you care to frame it. As far as you statistics, support them or leave the percentages out. It is speculation unless supported. You are like the teachers that think they're doing a good job, just because they try. Meanwhile most graduates can't read, write or count. Results count in all things, effort is lauadable but unless followed by "success", a waste of time.

You enjoyed my Shane Riley story, but think I am Post Office material and a druggie. Obviously I can pass a "drug test". Can you? Sounds like "the pot calling the kettle".

If you were as good as you pretend, you'd stay in staffing and "make a difference". A couple years of employment don't make you an expert, let alone experienced; 2 to 3 decades do.

Respect is earned. Most recruites are like the proverbial "those who can't, teach". Look at Robert Half. Staffed mostly with CPA's that couldn't make it to Senior level.

Make a difference, Experienced and if you succeed, congrats. We need you in Ontario, and apparently a bunch of other places.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

FINGUY,

We could round and round, so I'll save my rebuttal regarding you dismissing my statistics but conveniently using the word "most" when referring to graduates and recruiters. Despite only spending 7 years in the business (as opposed to decades), research will support my claim of a placement percentage of no more than 40% industry-wide. I don't pretend to be someone I'm not (well, no more than anyone else does - ha!) and I have communicated my experiences as objectively and truthfully as possible.

It seems as though this exchange has revealed not only your distaste for recruiters, but has also brought to surface your harsh feelings for the teaching profession as well. Seems that in each case you have had negative experiences with these two professions that have tried to assist you at one point. I am truly sorry for your experiences in life that have led you to these unfortunate opinions.

Until your response, I did not know that FINGUY and "Anonymous in Ontario" were the same person. I apologize for directing my responses in separate routes.

In all seriousness, I hope that your job search has rewarded you with a position you enjoy. Life is difficult enough without having to do something unenjoyable.

-Hugs not Drugs

84 months ago

Dear Experienced

My "distaste for recruiters" and educators doesn't extend to all, just some, the pretenders.

I have tried to use a number of agencies including Apple One, and my worst experience was with them. Unfortunately they aren't even semi-pros, at least in Greater LA. When I spoke to "Shane the Pain" as you put it, it wasn't to beat them up, it was to help them help candidates better. Before I could BEGIN to convey this message, he "mugged me".

Over a month ago, I openned 3 discussions, asking for high performing individuals names and numbers on the Apple One, Robert Half and Ajilon boards. To date, THERE HASN'T BEEN ONE response, let alone a name and number of a high performer. Pretty disappointing.

As far as educators, I have had the pleasure of being taught/mentored by many, almost all now retired or dead. Meanwhile their successors turn out a substandard product (US Education quality is 29th in the world) at nearly the highest per capita cost (source: Democratic Debate last week). We need to "fix" this industry even faster...

Perhaps we CAN live without skilled and honest placement professionals, but without a highly educated workforce we will continue to wither and die.

Help us by changing the process from the "inside". If you ARE talented, the world will flock to you and have you place them. Yeah, I know about timing issues, etc. But employers are HUNGRY for good help. Start by being honest with candidates about your desire/ability to place them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

G-Man in temecula, California

83 months ago

appleone helped me 19 years ago and I am still employed with the same job and still use them over all oether services.. fyi attitude is everything!!!!!!!

83 months ago

Dear G

Nineteen years in the same job? Yikes! I am happy for you.

I assume the office was in the San Diego area. I don't recall an Apple One office in Temecula, just Manpower that long ago. Is anyone still one the payroll that placed you? Unfortunately, you are an exception, at least in today's environment.

Attitude IS a lot, but not EVERYTHING. Try getting a high level job without an appropriate education, experience, etc.

manpower rep in West Palm Beach, Florida

83 months ago

Let me make a few comments, first you may want to spell check your resume, if you cannot spell the word "straight"in a forum, chances are it is spelled wrong or your resume. Second why on earth if you had such a bad experience would you call back in August to try and reason with them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

manpower rep in West Palm Beach, Florida said: Let me make a few comments, first you may want to spell check your resume, if you cannot spell the word "straight"in a forum, chances are it is spelled wrong or your resume. Second why on earth if you had such a bad experience would you call back in August to try and reason with them?

Dear West Palm Beach

Since your comment immediately followed mine, I got the impression that it was aimed at me, not JR in Austin some time back. Just in case you've forgoten, there is spell check in most WP packages, but not on this board. However IO don't want to be accused of defending JP, that's a pretty weak position at best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.