Employment agencies

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 245)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Handsome1978 in Albuquerque, New Mexico

65 months ago

Has anyone on this board had any experience with Link Staffing Services? If so,
what has been your experiences with them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jobstories in Arkansas

64 months ago

If you have had a poor or outrageous experience with a headhunter, please email me at jobstories@ymail.com and tell me about it. I am researching job hunting/interview experiences for a book, and I am devoting one chapter to the those wonderful employment and "temp" agencies. Please email your stories; responses to this message in this thread will probably not be read. All stories will be kept intact but they will be edited only for spelling and grammar. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

64 months ago

Handsome1978 in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: Has anyone on this board had any experience with Link Staffing Services? If so,
what has been your experiences with them?

Do they deal with education?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lupe Gonzalez in Plano, Texas

64 months ago

Yes, well, that is why I have made negative comments about headhunters on this forum. I have run across far too many who were unprofessional. It seems they will stop at nothing to place people in jobs (and get their commission).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Do they deal with education?

No. Link primarily deals either with clerical/admin or trades jobs.

Dallasarea in dallas, Texas

64 months ago

This in reply to the post that is asking for input from people who have worked "temp" positions and you asking for out input. You stated you plan on doing a chapter on "head hunters" - which is different from "temp" agencies. Temp agencies are different in that it states what they are - temp employment. If I could suggest to you, just go work for a couple of agencies to get a real life experience in temp world. Then share your expereince with the forum here and you might get more replies. Are you sure it's only one chapter on head hunters you are going to write about. The people who have found employment through head hunters has somewhat of a different working experience. I've read DLP's input on head hunters and that sounded like a nightmare in my opinion and I liked how he handled his situation. As for temps (I don't use them any longer) and seeking other work as I type this post. If you look on this forum you will see lots of information about the temp working life... And if you look deeper on inded you will find the posts that ex-employees who worked at the agencies. One comes to mind is Robert Half and Office Team.

I still say to go out and get hired for a real life experience for you book. BTW - I did see your request on CL last week asking for replies there - they shot you down there.

Good luck on your book, really. I'd like to read a book in the future on "Tent Cities" across the US and how the present state of the job situation is placing people homeless. But that is a different thread...

64 months ago

I would LOVE to read a book that exposes the temp industry for what it really is. I'd be the first in line to buy it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

I would LOVE to read a book that exposes the temp industry for what it really is. I'd be the first in line to buy it.

- Yes, it would be a book that I would read too. I suggested to the person posting thir request of our input (people who have worked for agencies)to just go work for an agency for a few weeks and get real life experience in doing it and getting research for their book.

Charmagne Cutler in PA, California

63 months ago

I just recently filled out an online application with AppleOne and from reading all these comments I am very very concerned. I gave out personal Information to them such as Social Security numbers and such, and I'm very concerned if they are going to use it for identity theft and such. They really look like they are just scamming people and maybe their real motive is to get personal and very important informations from people so they can use it as their own.

63 months ago

Well, Apple One will most definitely call all of your references and bug them to death. They will call your former employer and do a sales pitch for their agency.

As for your social security number, I never know if these places keep our job applications under lock and key, as they should. Sorry, but most of the people who work at these agencies don't seem very bright. I really don't know if they are smart enough to keep your social security number private.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

MissyT1964 in Austin, Texas

63 months ago

I have never had any luck using a staffing agency. As mentioned, they post lure jobs and when the candidate calls the job is suddenly unavailable. Never fails. These people are vulchers. You sign up, they promise you everything under the sun and then you never hear from them again. If you are on unemployment and you take a temp job, even for 1 or 2 days, your benefits stop. What then?? I can't take a temp position that will jeopardize my benefits. I have kids to support. Craigslist is useless as well when looking for a position. 95% of the positions posted are spam or overposts. Monster and Career Builders are just as bad and Yahoo HotJobs is a complete joke. Are there any legitimate sites out there that actually have jobs that are real?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

True - don't ever sign on with temp agencies if you are collecting unemployment! It can be a huge threat to your benefits. Many temp agencies will also lie and claim you didn't call in for more work assignments, and will report it to your state unemployment commission. Temp agencies will do anything to prevent you from continuing to get your unemployment benefits. There is no need to temp while collecting unemployment. Just keep looking for a permanent job. Temping doesn't lead to permanent jobs anymore the way that it used to. Many companies have no interest in hiring you on permanent since they don't wish to pay benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Texas does have reduced wages benefits. However when you do a temp job, the interruption in your benefits before the reduced benefits wages kicks in is at least 2 weeks. By that time, you have done your 1, 2, or 5 day gig through the temp agency. Do NOT temp while you are collecting UI. The interruption in monies and the paperwork and time and frustration is just NOT worth it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Lupe Gonzalez in Plano, Texas said: I would LOVE to read a book that exposes the temp industry for what it really is. I'd be the first in line to buy it.

I would be 2nd in line. Temp agencies are a ripoff and they need to be exposed for what they really are. I'd LOVE for someone who has or is still working for an agency to get on this board and give us some dirt and give us some tips on what to look out for. Any takers??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I agree.

Also, UI cannot force you to interview with temp agencies. Just keep interviewing for regular jobs and that will count as work contacts.

63 months ago

I don't even see how the UI people can check whether or not you are applying. So many can be done online that talking to a real person anymore is almost unheard of. I do want to work so I follow up by phone just in case and I always get a name.

63 months ago

The unemployment commission conducts random audits to see if people are applying for jobs. Always save names and dates of your work contacts. When I applied online, I would save all my emails to prove I'd been in touch with employers.

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

Today (Monday, Sept. 28) I went to Randstad to find out about call center openings. On Friday, I emailed my resume directly to the company to see if they were still hiring, as well as if they still use this other staffing agency that I signed up with.

Then all of a sudden, the girl Randstad leaves a message on my cellphone about this place. I called her back, and made an appointment to go in and check it out. I can't believe that they called me right back! This is because I've had a lot of call center experience.

So anyway, I go in there this morning, filled out all of the paperwork, and they needed a copy of my resume attached in a Word document, and I have to interview with the company as well. Therefore, I stopped at the local library on my way home and emailed them because I don't have Word on my computer at home.

I take back some of the negative things that I have said about staffing agencies. Randstad was pretty good. The girl there knew, and respected the fact, that I can only work part-time citing Social Security Disability guidelines.

I may just stick with the stafffing agencies that take all skills and understand and respect the fact that I can only work part-time.

63 months ago

Lupe Gonzalez in Plano, Texas said: True - don't ever sign on with temp agencies if you are collecting unemployment! It can be a huge threat to your benefits. Many temp agencies will also lie and claim you didn't call in for more work assignments, and will report it to your state unemployment commission. Temp agencies will do anything to prevent you from continuing to get your unemployment benefits. There is no need to temp while collecting unemployment. Just keep looking for a permanent job. Temping doesn't lead to permanent jobs anymore the way that it used to. Many companies have no interest in hiring you on permanent since they don't wish to pay benefits.

To Lupe Gonzalez: Whenever I've been out of work, I have signed up with temp agencies. At least it's money coming in until you get a regular job. And besides, you won't have to use up all of your unemployment.

Depending on how much you make, you can qualify for partial benefits. Just remember to report your wages.

As far as unemployment goes, most of them now want you to call in at least once a week just to let them know that you're available for work. If not, they can deny you your benefits.

Here in Pennsylvania, if you refuse an offer of suitable work, you can be denied umemployment. And you have to be able and available for work as well.

There were times that I've had to turn down some job offers from these staffing agencies because they were either too far out for me, in questionable neighborhoods, or I wasn't even qualified for the job; and I felt guilty about it. But I still had to report it to unemployment.

Just remember to let the temp agency know that you're still looking for a regular job. Most of them now deal with both temporary, temp-to-hire, and direct hire as well. Until you can get a regular job, something temporary, but suitable, is better than nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

MissyT1964 in Austin, Texas said: I have never had any luck using a staffing agency. As mentioned, they post lure jobs and when the candidate calls the job is suddenly unavailable. Never fails. These people are vulchers. You sign up, they promise you everything under the sun and then you never hear from them again. If you are on unemployment and you take a temp job, even for 1 or 2 days, your benefits stop. What then?? I can't take a temp position that will jeopardize my benefits. I have kids to support. Craigslist is useless as well when looking for a position. 95% of the positions posted are spam or overposts. Monster and Career Builders are just as bad and Yahoo HotJobs is a complete joke. Are there any legitimate sites out there that actually have jobs that are real?

Missy: I have checked for a lot of jobs on Craigslist, and I can tell you about one of them. It is a market research company that constantly posts openings for telephone interviewers and recruiters. I have emailed my resume there, but they don't respond right away. I called them a few times this past summer, I spoke to the Human Resources Director, and he told me that they weren't hiring.

HotJobs is a complete waste of time. Most of their jobs are nothing but work-at-home schemes. Don't even waste your time with them. CareerBuilder.com is a pretty good website. Check them out.

As far as being on unemployment goes, especially with a temp job, you might be eligible for partial benefits; depending on how much you make. Just make sure that you report your wages, and explain the situation to unemployment. I realize that you have kids to support, but something suitable, even temporary, is better than nothing at all.

I don't know what the unemployment laws are in Texas, but here in Pennsylvania, you have to be able and available for work; and you cannot refuse an offer of suitable work. If you do find something, you have to report it, as well as your wages/

63 months ago

In the past, I have worked at a few temporary jobs, and I reported it to unemployment. If I made more than what I'm allowed to make, then I just don't get any benefits. However, if the job ends, I have to report it as well and get my claim reopened. It's better than exhausting your unemployment benefits, and you have to wait several months before you can file a new claim again.

It also depends on the unemployment laws in your state. I'm only going by what they do here in Pennsylvania. You'd have to find out what your state's unemployment laws are.

Wallis in Anaheim, California

63 months ago

Dallasarea in dallas, Texas said: I would LOVE to read a book that exposes the temp industry for what it really is. I'd be the first in line to buy it.

- Yes, it would be a book that I would read too. I suggested to the person posting thir request of our input (people who have worked for agencies)to just go work for an agency for a few weeks and get real life experience in doing it and getting research for their book.

I work for a staffing agency and I can tell you that everyone I meet with I try very hard to find them a postion. What do we get out of spending $500 an ad posting it on the internet only to waste our time in interviewing you and our clients money. I can tell you that when I post something I get 15-20 phone calls with the first hour of posting it. Qualified people get job. Clients don't want to spend money to train people right now. If you have industry experience they want you right now. I've been a temp as well as a staffing consultant so I see both sides. You have to be marketable. Staffing consultants meet with new people everyday you have to stay fresh on their mind be be proactive in your job search as well. I know my applicants are greatful for my help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

DollyParton83 in Hackensack,NJ, New Jersey

63 months ago

Wallis in Anaheim, California said: I work for a staffing agency and I can tell you that everyone I meet with I try very hard to find them a postion. What do we get out of spending $500 an ad posting it on the internet only to waste our time in interviewing you and our clients money. I can tell you that when I post something I get 15-20 phone calls with the first hour of posting it. Qualified people get job. Clients don't want to spend money to train people right now. If you have industry experience they want you right now. I've been a temp as well as a staffing consultant so I see both sides. You have to be marketable. Staffing consultants meet with new people everyday you have to stay fresh on their mind be be proactive in your job search as well. I know my applicants are greatful for my help.

I don't know how the staffing agencies work in California. But why do people in other states such as New York keep calling people about jobs that don't exist.

62 months ago

Displaced Legal Pro;Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Of course you do.

Hello Displaced. I saw this response from you to Dolly. :) I haven't been here for awhile.

62 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Hi, Dallas. I actually answered "Wallis'" non-comment. Nice to see you back!

Displaced - Have a question in regards to a post I read earlier today on CL. It was in the legal forum and someone wrote about their interview and the prospective employer mentioned the person to take the position must carry their own medical insurance as the company mentioned they do not supply company medical insurance. And the legal forum just said, Yes and employer can ask their employees to have their own.

I just added it to the list of - being able to pass a background check, credit check, along with having to have reliable transportation as owning your auto & least we forget (I read this today also, having current auto insurance).

The pre-qualfications to get a job are getting tough!! Hang-On...

Any reason not to hire unemployed folks!

62 months ago

You place ads to get candidates to come in and sign up, so you can add them to your database, and also because you want their references (names and phone numbers) so you can call them, and pitch your agency services. We all know that. There is really no point in temp agencies trying to hide it anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Roncorey in Durham, North Carolina

62 months ago

Temp agencies, staffing firms, and recruiters are all looking out for the employer NOT YOU!!! They may seem like tour friend, but they only meet their quotas, deadlines, get points, bonuses, whatever, when they hook up the client with someone (or at least get you interviewed).

What really makes me sick is when state employment agencies post these firms ads on their websites, but don't let you know that it is a staffing/temp agency till you get down to the employment office for the referall!!! So I have to drive down to the employment office and wait in line just to get screened so I can get the phone number or email of the stupid staffing firm!!! Just how efficient and effective is that!

Reyu in San Francisco, California

59 months ago

If you happen to come upon this thread trying to be informed about temp agencies and have read the comments on the first page and the majority here, I have to say do not take in everything at face value. Everything here seems to be pretty much truth but what people fail to realize is this: temp agencies are a service in which you do not pay for up front.

For the people who complain they don't get any jobs from them, look at your resume. For the people who get BS 1 day or 2 week assignments, tell them you are not open to those. Obviously it is in the best interest of the temp agency to get you hired since yes, they will make money. Like any other business, they must make money.

What you are getting by going to a temp agency is their wide network of contacts with various employers in the area. Living in the Silicon Valley with all its big tech companies, a temp agency is most likely the easiest and best way to get your foot in the door to these companies. This I speak from experience. I applied to an agency and 1 month later got my first interview which did not result in a job. Another month later I landed a 3 month contract and am now currently a permanent hire for that company.

I have a temp agency to thank for my current secure and solid job in this tough economic time. I would like to take this time now to aim childish remarks at people. Most of the comments here are likely made by lazy, self-centered, spoiled brats with a low enough IQ to not understand that even without the existence of temp agencies, they would most likely be in the same situation. Please empower yourself with knowledge and understanding that going to a temp agency, at the least, increased your chances of employment.

It is what it is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

If you got a perm job through a temp agency, you are simply lucky. Do you realize that? Most temporary jobs do NOT go permanent. I am happy you are employed full time, but recognize that in today's economy, you could be let go at any given moment - and replaced with a temporary or contractor. Fact is, its cheaper for companies to hire temps because they don't have to pay benefits like health insurance, vacation days, sick days, etc.

My problem with temp agencies is that they continuously lie to people and place phony job ads to lure in job seekers. They then mine the job seekers for information about other companies they have interviewed with, in order to get names and phone numbers, to use to pitch their business to these companies.

Temp agencies are also creating problems in society when they no longer notify someone when their assignment will end. They simply call the person at home, after work, and tell them not to go back the next day. This can (in some cases) put someone out on the street.

You know what? I temped back in the 80s and temp agencies back then were fair and honest (at least more so than now). They would at least try to give you some notice when your assignment would end, even if it was only a few hours notice. This gave you time to round up another assignment. Well today, temp agencies have a policy that they will only call you at home after work to tell you not to go back to work! Is that fair or ethical? Hardly.

You claim that posters here have low IQs, yet you display a lot of naivete and lack of understanding about the realities of the workforce today. Your attitude seems to be: "I got a job through a temp agency, so everyone else can, too, and if they don't they have a problem". That is narrow minded, to say the least. I also have gotten permanent jobs through temp agencies, but that was 10 years ago, and things have changed. This is becoming more and more rare. If you get a perm job through temping now, you are just LUCKY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Reyu in San Francisco, California

59 months ago

In response to the above.
You are without a doubt correct in all your points. What I wanted to point out was the fact that using a temp agency, as opposed to not using, will increase your chances whether a favorable experience or not. Sure some agencies might have crock practices which many have commented on and are all good points. A reader researching on this matter should keep those points in mind but at the same time understand that even a 1% increase in the chances of landing a job can mean the difference in getting "lucky".

The main reason I posted in the first place was to help educate the people researching on this topic in contrast to the bad experiences of others. We have all gone to or plan to go to a temp agency for the very reason of "helping" us find a job. I myself have a success story and I wish the same upon others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

healthcare girl in Wheeling, Illinois

58 months ago

I agree! I have been on 3 temp-to-hire assignments in collections that lasted 6 months, did everything near perfect, and was never hired. It costs the company 1 year of your salary for you to become hired on perm. I found out the staffing agency was getting paid $22.00/hr for me to work and only gave me $16.00. The staffing agencies also have horrible benefits. The catch 22 is that the staffing agencies call back on your job post right away, while applying directly to the company online can take months to hear back. It is easy to just take the temp job sometimes for the cash, but I agree temping is an evil rut to get into and those agencies are, for the most part, in it for themselves!

58 months ago

agree! I have been on 3 temp-to-hire assignments in collections that lasted 6 months, did everything near perfect, and was never hired. It costs the company 1 year of your salary for you to become hired on perm. I found out the staffing agency was getting paid $22.00/hr for me to work and only gave me $16.00. The staffing agencies also have horrible benefits. The catch 22 is that the staffing agencies call back on your job post right away, while applying directly to the company online can take months to hear back. It is easy to just take the temp job sometimes for the cash, but I agree temping is an evil rut to get into and those agencies are, for the most part, in it for themselves!

**Like how you worded the phrase: temping is an evil rut. And in my opinion, it is an Evil Rut to get out of due to emplopyers look at your job history with mostly temp positions which then the company will not think you are for the most part serious about long term employment. You skill set may be there but not your tenure. That is what you call a rut! Another good point is the company for the most part doesn't want to pay for the temp after the allotted time. Temp to hire is very hard to get. Why pay money for an applicant when they can get someone in off the job boards for free?

Signed,

Regretting working for temp agencies.

58 months ago

Dallasarea in dallas, Texas,

I think in the future, temp agencies will be even more limited,
especially with respect to staffing highly regulated or licensed
companies or industries.

In my hometown, the Federal government forced the sale of a bank to
outside investors. While the core reason was capital reserve deficits, this organization also had a high turnover rate and
consistently used temp agencies, often for the same job(s) over and over again. The positions posted often had to do with
otherwise sensitive areas; foreclosure and loss mitigation and
collections of delinquent accounts. This practice was likely also
examined by Federal investigators, as the bank is charged not
only with basic depositor issues but also people's livelihoods
and these issues wee being handled by temps who are often given no
training yet expected to excellently execute and then are let go
right on the cusp of possibly having to grant employee considerations to said temp.

Like you said, the organization does not want to actually pay or train quality personnel when they can get another temp off the
boards or from an agency.

58 months ago

I am glad the federal government forced the sale of that bank. Using temps can be an unethical practice in some situations. Also, you are right - companies expect temps to excel with little, or no training. Its unrealistic. On some assignments they expected you to learn in ONE HOUR, what normally takes two weeks of training for perm employees. If you didn't quite pick it up the first day, they would label you "dumb" and call the agency, and send you home.

58 months ago

You are all ridiculous. Why would an employer put an add on a job board because many companies don't have recruiter. When clients call staffing agencies they want someone they don't have to train someone that can hit the ground running. We don't charge a years salary in order to bring you on as an employee. FYI most staffing consultants don't make money when you are a temp. They only make money is the client wants to hire you directly. I work in staffing an these comments are made out of ignorance or simply because you didn't get a job. How could an agency survive if we just interviewed random people all day and wasted their time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Reyu in San Francisco, California said: In response to the above.
You are without a doubt correct in all your points. What I wanted to point out was the fact that using a temp agency, as opposed to not using, will increase your chances whether a favorable experience or not. Sure some agencies might have crock practices which many have commented on and are all good points. A reader researching on this matter should keep those points in mind but at the same time understand that even a 1% increase in the chances of landing a job can mean the difference in getting "lucky".

The main reason I posted in the first place was to help educate the people researching on this topic in contrast to the bad experiences of others. We have all gone to or plan to go to a temp agency for the very reason of "helping" us find a job. I myself have a success story and I wish the same upon others.

Thank you for posting that. Everyone thinks that they agency has to get you a job just because you interviewed that's not the case. I'm glad that you found work and you shared your story. My job is to find work for others. If I can help someone pay a bill or put food on the table so that they can feed their families I did my job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Lupe Gonzalez in Plano, Texas said: I am glad the federal government forced the sale of that bank. Using temps can be an unethical practice in some situations. Also, you are right - companies expect temps to excel with little, or no training. Its unrealistic. On some assignments they expected you to learn in ONE HOUR, what normally takes two weeks of training for perm employees. If you didn't quite pick it up the first day, they would label you "dumb" and call the agency, and send you home.

Hi Lupe - I read this post from you and have to agree with you in that the company wants the right temp to hit the ground running and they will see if you are catching on in most cases in one day.

I don't think they have such high standards for the full time/permanent employees as they judge temps and I've seen it for myself in the past. Since a temp can and will be replaced easily; they (the companies) seem to exercise this very often. They will request a new temp for the next day and with so many folks out of work to replace a temp is nothing. And I don't think it is all the learning curve that they judge temps on, I think if they don't well, like you for whatever reason they may let you go as harsh as it sounds. The temp probably was trying to learn the job and succeed at the assignment to just have a job.

58 months ago

Recruiters don't work for the employee. They work for the client. Period.

58 months ago

Many recruiters could care less whether a person can put food on his table. They care about the client, who pays the bill. Temp agencies put lots of people out work quickly: if the client is dissatisfied for any frivolous reason, they send the temp home without notice. In some cases, this could put people out on the street. Temp agencies contribute to a lot of problems in our society.

58 months ago

Its true, they will replace temps for any reason. In fact, if you do a good job on your assignment, they might feel threatened by that and worry that you could become their "replacement".

58 months ago

In this economy, nobody should be using recruiters to find a job. No company is going to pay a finder's fee, when they have hundreds of resumes pouring in daily. They can easily get an employee FOR FREE. They don't have to pay recruiter fees.

58 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: That sentence, in and of itself, makes no sense. Don't throw stones, my friend. Bullshiit. You people don't run a Job Corps. You're in the business to make money. It is realized your markup between what you charge employers for temps and their pay covers overhead. But don't try to con people into believing you people don't have profit built into the markup as well. And your comments, just like most other "recruiters," are self serving. Compound question.

First answer: you interview candidates to populate databases. Then you can show off the databases to potential clients. You can crow to them about your vast inventory of qualified candidates ready to staff their needs, ad nauseam.

Second answer: You don't give a good goddam if you waste candidates' time and you know you don't.

Good Morning DLP: Thought I would see you here to post on this. :)

58 months ago

I also get tired of you recruiters asking me about other places I've interviewed at! You are mining me for job leads and I am tired of it. Find your own job leads, the same way I did. Look for them.

57 months ago

Once again, I find myself out of work. However, because I'm on Social Security Disability, I have let these temp agencies know that I can only work part time, and I cannot make more than $980 a month.

The last time that I was out of work, most of them only had full-time jobs. In fact, one of them said to me that in today's job market, I have to be flexible. Flexible my foot! I'm very limited to what I can make and that's that. I am not about to screw up my Social Security Disability just for some temp agency who wants me to be more flexible. I even told some of them that I'm better off going directly to the companies; especially since I'm only looking for part-time.

Up until I would say at least fifteen years ago, you could simply call up a staffing agency, make an appointment, and go right in there to register. Nowadays, they want to see your resume first before they bring you in. They don't want to waste your time as well as theirs if they don't have a position for you. They've practically become the Human Resources departments for these companies. Some agencies don't even take unsolicited resumes. They only take them for the jobs that they have available.

A lot of the jobs through the staffing agencies today are high-level positions such as executive-level secretaries and assistants, office managers, accountants, paralegals, outside salespeople, and so forth; depending on the agency's needs. They want the "cream of the crop": they just don't want anybody; especially if the company is paying them a huge and hefty fee for their services.

Somebody else said that these companies simply don't have the time to train anybody: I agree with you wholeheartedly. These agency clients want people who have had experience in their clients' industry. They want somebody to come in there and hit the ground running. They don't have time to train anybody. Well how are you going to get experience if they don't want to train you?

57 months ago

Lupe Gonzalez in Plano, Texas said: I also get tired of you recruiters asking me about other places I've interviewed at! You are mining me for job leads and I am tired of it. Find your own job leads, the same way I did. Look for them.

Lupe: the reason that these agencies ask where you've applied to before is because they dont' want to send you to a company that you already applied to. They want to send you to a company that you never applied to before. They don't want to duplicate your efforts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

I know from past experience in dealing with temp agencies is that the client decides how long the job will last: not the agency. The client is paying that agency for its services. If they have a job that is temp-to-hire, the agency is just trying you out just to see if you like the company and vice versa. If the company decides to hire you on, then you need to notify the temp agency.

I have even had temp assignments that were "indefinite", but they turned out to be either a month, a few days, and in once case three months.

Temp agencies have definitely changed in the last several years. Maybe I'm better off going directly to the companies instead.

57 months ago

Lupe Gonzalez in Plano, Texas said: I would LOVE to read a book that exposes the temp industry for what it really is. I'd be the first in line to buy it.

Perhaps you could write a book about it. Then you can go on national television to promote it.

57 months ago

<Lupe: the reason that these agencies ask where you've applied to before is because they dont' want to send you to a company that you already applied to. They want to send you to a company that you never applied to before. They don't want to duplicate your efforts.>

They rely on people to be dumb enough to believe that.

Sorry, the real reason they ask for where you've interviewed recently, is to get job leads to place other candidates. If you tell them "yes, I interviewed yesterday for a mail clerk position at the Xerox company", then bingo, they have a job lead. They mind candidates for job leads.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

what do they do with all these leads that they get... oh i know they find jobs for those that are qualified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Yes, of course, they use the leads to find jobs for qualified candidates. But they don't admit that to anyone. Its a very old recruiter trick - mining candidates who come into their office for information on job openings. And if they truly had the "in" with businesses, they would know of these job openings already.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.