Employment agencies

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 244)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Calam in Central Florida, Florida

49 months ago

Wow, so what I've seen in this thread has been a lot of people who legitimately have concerns about a temp agency using them to mine information/contacts and false jobs. Specifically in regards to AppleOne. I've worked with a temp agency (which was, at this juncture, honest enough to tell me over the phone when I called a few weeks ago that they weren't really getting any jobs in right now) with good results. Apparently they're not all what they make themselves out to be.

This is concerning and given the job market right now it is a shame that there aren't laws in place that keep this kind of run around from happening. Because, recruiters, you're not just pulling us in to fill out paper work -- you're taking our TIME. Instead of taking a thirty minute test for your paperwork I could have been spending that 30(+) minutes online at home filling out job applications. Or networking. I resent getting called in to interview for jobs where the interviewers already have a candidate (cousin, friend, etc) in mind. We need jobs, not the run around. Be up front. Be honest. Don't post fake job listings to pull more people in.

Then I also see lots of people who are taking good advice/commentary from people in the headhunting (or temp agency employee) profession way too personally. When they are saying "you" they are (generally) using the universal you. Meaning, they're generalizing and not specifically saying that you-the-reader are sub-par. They're using examples of people they have turned down for positions in the past. And honestly, if you over react to misinterpreting a comment online I'd be willing to bet that you're no treat in the office either. Or during interviews.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lupe Gonzalez in Plano, Texas

49 months ago

The recruiters who post here are wasting our time with more b.s.

I know what recruiters do. I know about the lies they tell and the phony job ads they post. They come here and try to deny it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Lupe, I was thinking more of what Bianca was saying in her comments on page two of this thread. She mentioned some of the negative things that she has seen from the people she called in. I think she had some valid points (i.e.: airing dirty laundry, etc) that some users took a little too personally. What she listed are things that I was always told were major no-no's when it comes to being interviewed. I think in her case, she was offering up stories as to why she turned down some people in the past. She wasn't saying that those of us on this thread were necessarily guilty of those interview sins. :)

However, I have seen a lot of them deny that they post fake jobs. I absolutely think that some agencies do this. It is frustrating because at the end of the day calling us in for fake jobs does nothing but waste our time. Finding a job is my absolute top priority right now and taking tests to meet someone's quota or to fill a database that won't ever be used is not. I'm sick of having my time wasted on fake jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

No thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mimushen in Beverly, New Jersey

49 months ago

jakisha tucker in Baltimore, Maryland said: hello, I have a buissness called evolv that is going threw the roof right now and people are joining left and right! If you would like to be your own boss and make lots of money a easy way, then this is for you. Not to meanchine, I also get to travel alot. I have a website you can go on to find out more information.... jakishatucker.myevolv.com, on this website is also my contact infomation in the top right corner. There you will get all the information you need and if thats still not enough then you can contact me and I can put you on a confrence call with one of my lead buissness partners. So if you like making $$$, then i look forward to talking to you.

Do they have a spell check? (Threw the roof)? I threw my roof one time, dang near threw my shoulder out.

49 months ago

It sounds like multi-level marketing. Make $$$$$ quick !!!!!!
These morons have no idea just how many offers I get every day for such crap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ody in Fremont, California

49 months ago

So here is an idea to throw these agency's tricks right back in their face, and maybe land a job in the process:

Apply for a position with the agency.

As a reference, list a "large company" that you worked for, and give a random "Director of HR" name, with either YOUR cell # or a a friend's.

When the agency calls and tries to push their services, either you or your friend says "Actually, we do use agencies often... I understand that (your name) is registered with you guys.. if s/he has a successful experience with you, maybe we will consider using your agency."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ody in Fremont, California

49 months ago

ody in Fremont, California said: So here is an idea to throw these agency's tricks right back in their face, and maybe land a job in the process:

As a reference, list a "large company" that you worked for, and give a random "Director of HR" name, with either YOUR cell # or a a friend's.

When the agency calls and tries to push their services, either you or your friend says "Actually, we do use agencies often... I understand that (your name) is registered with you guys.. if s/he has a successful experience with you, maybe we will consider using your agency."

ETA: or even better yet, if you are on good terms with your former employer, ask them to say that they will consider working with the agency if they successfully place you

49 months ago

ody in Fremont, California said: So here is an idea to throw these agency's tricks right back in their face, and maybe land a job in the process:

Too funny!

I actually had turned down AppleOne after a rather negative experience with my local office. One of their account managers left me a message saying that "upon further inspection, we have determined that we would not be able to work with you. So we're going to go ahead and cancel your appt for Date-x". So I called to inquire as to why. I, apparently, got a hold of one of the 'higher ups' within that office and they pulled up my resume, apologized, and said that she had a great job she could place me in right away. And of course, she didn't have specifics on the job. I told her nicely that I would have to consider it and would call back by end of day if I was interested. I wasn't. I had just received a rude, non-specific message on my phone dropping my appointment. That is not professional. If that is how they treat potential employees then I can only imagine what actual temps have to deal with. I mean, it is my livelihood here. I have a medical condition. I am going back to school. I don't have time for games. Be honest, or I don't have time for you. Gah.

But. within a few hours of contacting the company to tell them that I was displeased with their methods I started getting spam texts. I absolutely think that the company may have sold off my number. Perhaps other info too.

Beware of these guys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Lupe Gonzalez in Plano, Texas said: No thanks.

No thanks to what, hon?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

You are right, it was very unprofessional of them to cancel your appointment for an unspecified "reason". Not just unprofessional, but rather crude. They have no business calling you down like that.
Also, do you think its possible they found out about your health condition?

LoverOfLife in Orange, California

49 months ago

This is a horrible company to work for. They will make you sign a form that says that you will give up your vacation if you quit or get fired. The managers and most of their staff are ex-waitresses from Denny's. They read every email that you get. Run.. don't walk if they contact you. They will also brainwash you into thinking they care but they will get rid of you in three months if you don't make enough money for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

48 months ago

I signed up with Apple One last summer when I was last out of work. They would email me and let me know if I was still available for work, but they didn't call me for anything.

But this time, I don't even want to deal with them. Most of the jobs that they get in are more high-level, and I don't want to waste any time applying to staffing agencies that don't take all types of skills.

48 months ago

I've had temp assignments during the 80's and 90's. My last temp assignment was 8 years ago.

Oh, I never told you this little doosy. When I was out of work back in '98, I received a call from a staffing agency that I had already signed up with. They had a position with a company where they were replacing the company's regular employees with temps. The company had consoliated by closing up all of tbeir offices and forming one centralized call center in Utah: staffing them with 600 to 700 reps. When a regular employee left, a temp got in and replaced them.

This company was in the pager business. I would have been taking calls from their sales reps. But the training was simply too technical for me.

What was to have been an 8-month assignment only lasted one day. After that, the agency couldn't use me anymore. I think this agency has since gone out of business because I don't see them around anymore.

47 months ago

Yesterday (June 3), I had called this Bear Staffing Services, that I found on one of the Websites. Their main office is in Woodbury, New Jersey, but they also have offices in Bridgewater, NJ, Philadelphia, and just outside of Washington, DC. They do offer call center jobs.

I called to find out if they still have an office in downtown Philadelphia. The woman I spoke to said that they had no openings in Philadelphia right now. The Philadelphia office is only open by appointment, and they only go there if they have specific openings.

I am not going to waste my time doing business with any agency like this. I also refuse to go over to their office in New Jersey. I don't have a car, and depend on public transportation to get me around. Going over to New Jersey would cost me an arm and a leg in public transportation, therefore I'm better off looking for work over here in Pennsylvania.

Most of these staffing agencies don't have a lot of part-time positions. I clearly let them know that I'm Social Security Disability, I can only work part-time, and I cannot make more than $980 a month. I even told a few of them that I'm better off applying directly to the companies instead.

I have applied directly to the companies and to the staffing agencies. Only this time, I'm not calling the staffing agencies as much as I used to, because they all want to see your resume first before they'll bring you in for an interview. They have literally become the Human Resources departments for these companies.

47 months ago

I have another temp agency story to tell you. In March, 2001 (just six months before 9/11), I accepted a temporary data entry assignment position with a staffing agency in downtown Philadelphia. The company was located just south of the Philadelphia airport. The assignment was supposed to have lasted until that June.

During the first week, I got sick. My voice was very hoarse. The staffing agency rep was in the company's manager's office. I let them know that I wanted to go home, but they wouldn't let me. The next morning, my voice was still hoarse so I called out. Ditto the next day, but then I went to the emergency room and got it checked out. They gave me something to breathe with and a chest X-ray. I found out that I had pneumonia in my left lung. They gave me medication for, told me to drink lots of liquid, and to go see my regular doctor for a follow-up visit.

I let the agency know that I would not come back to work until I was better. Unfortunately, they had to replace me on the assignment. They said that I had quit, which is not true. I gave them a doctor's note as proof, but they didn't have anything else for me.

They sent me my paycheck for the first week, but didn't send the second one right away for that Monday. I let them know about, but after waiting (I don't remember how long I had to wait), I left them a really nasty message on their voicemail after hours. I told them that if I didn't get my paycheck for that Monday, I was going to report them to the Department of Labor. Eventually, I did get my paycheck for that Monday.

I think this staffing agency has since gone out of business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Julie Chang in Bartlesville, Oklahoma

47 months ago

Temp agencies will almost always remove you from the assignment, if you get sick. They will often accuse you of lying about your illness, as well.

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

33 months ago

They also blatantly lie literally to your face. I was told a job was paying $28 an hour (verified 3 times with the temp agency rep. First the job wasn't accounting but filing. Second it was $14 an hour nowhere near the $28 I was told. She told me she 'made a mistake' even though she told me she put me on the payroll at $28 an hour. It is only 2 months and I told her I would not commit any effort toward this job and would actively seek perm employment outside of this role

KDF in Las Vegas, Nevada

30 months ago

AppleOne you say? That strikes a fresh nerve...

Found job on Cox's main website, applied directly. Called in and interviewed at Cox, by Cox personnel. Offered job by Cox's HR department. Sent to AppleOne? to enroll as, and work for Cox as, a temp until training complete and performance where Cox would like to see. On the first day of my 7th week, I completed work saying good bye to colleagues and exchanging some "See you tomorrow"'s, only to get a call on my way home stating the contract has been pulled and I do not need to go back. AppleOne would not disclose why and I was tempted to contact Cox as I feared there must be some sort of miscommunication. Afterall, I never got pulled aside to be informed of anything that needed to be corrected. I never received coaching. As far as I knew by my performance and behavior of coaches and managers around me, I was doing a good job for just getting out of training. Unfortunately, Cox's HR states they can't inform me of that info and advised I contact AppleOne.

After this, I was scorned and didn't want to have anything to do with AppleOne as I felt they were the last chance to save my job, but they don't care. They'll just put another person in the spot I was in, and still collect their money as if nothing ever happened to me. I'm the only one that will be eating from a soup kitchen by day and a dumpster by night. At any rate, I called to find out why:

"We don't get that information from the client, we just cancel the contract like they ask." the receptionist informs me.

Awesome.. so not only does Cox not consult me, coach me or at least inform me I'm in jeopardy, AppleOne doesn't try to find out either. This not only screws me, but leaves them with no further qualities to seek when placing someone into this position. Again, supporting the fact they will cycle an endless number of people through the position, despite how it effects each employee, just so AppleOne can keep making money from A contract.

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida

30 months ago

This seems to happen a lot. I did a temp job at Yahoo and they had a lot of temps in their editorial dept. This was the group the edited and reworded websites.

Anyway they would bring in a group of temps, train them, keep them for about 3 months and let them go and replace them with new temps.

?????????

I didn't understand the logic as the training class was for two weeks.

I worked in another area so I wasn't impacted, but I saw this happen and it made no sense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

The temporary agencies let the temps go after 3 months, so they don't have to provide health insurance coverage. Its a trick. One can rarely get health insurance coverage through working for a temp agency, because the agency will usually fire you before right before you are eligible for coverage. They will claim you were "incompetent" or "not a good fit".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

KDF, Apple One in my area offers benefits to temporaries once they've worked around 3 months. But they normally pull temporaries out and replace them before that time, so they don't have to provide any health insurance coverage. That is likely the real reason you were yanked from a job where you were performing well. This is typical of how contract and temporary workers are treated. They are used and then discarded. It doesn't matter how well you performed at your job, you will be thrown out in the street with nothing. No notice will be given, they won't find another assignment for you, and they won't even give you a solid explanation of why you were let go. You are better off working at Starbuck's or a grocery store, than temping! I tell people this over and over again, and I am serious. Temping is a racket.

30 months ago

Julie Chang in Bartlesville, Oklahoma said: The temporary agencies let the temps go after 3 months, so they don't have to provide health insurance coverage. Its a trick. One can rarely get health insurance coverage through working for a temp agency, because the agency will usually fire you before right before you are eligible for coverage. They will claim you were "incompetent" or "not a good fit".

They will also contact you about an assignment that is supposed to last 'a few weeks' and they need you to start tomorrow. You are given a specific project to complete such as a spreadsheet. Once that spreadsheet is completed, you find that there isn't much to do and then you get a call later than evening from the agency telling you not to return. Usually it is for some vague reason such as 'they decided they were going to absorb the work internally', you 'weren't picking up the work fast enough', they hired someone perm. etc....

30 months ago

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida said: This seems to happen a lot. I did a temp job at Yahoo and they had a lot of temps in their editorial dept. This was the group the edited and reworded websites.

Anyway they would bring in a group of temps, train them, keep them for about 3 months and let them go and replace them with new temps.

?????????

I didn't understand the logic as the training class was for two weeks.

I worked in another area so I wasn't impacted, but I saw this happen and it made no sense.

Oh they actually had a training class?? In my experience if you haven't picked up the work in the first 2 HOURS, the agency will call you and tell you not to return with the explanation -- you weren't picking up the work fast enough

30 months ago

Right. If you don't pick it up right away, they label you a "slow learner" and let you go.

30 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: Oh they actually had a training class?? In my experience if you haven't picked up the work in the first 2 HOURS, the agency will call you and tell you not to return with the explanation -- you weren't picking up the work fast enough

Yes in this particular case Yahoo trained this group in a classroom like setting for two weeks, and then let them all go after 3 months and started over with a new group.

The temps were from various agencies so I don't think it was insurance related. And thing was Yahoo did hire some temps full time.

Didn't seem very cost effective to me to have to keep having training classes, but I guess it kept their trainer employed.

30 months ago

Julie Chang in Bartlesville, Oklahoma said: Right. If you don't pick it up right away, they label you a "slow learner" and let you go.

Companies will also lie to the agency. I was sent on an assignment and got there and the cubicle I was assigned had no computer.

They had me clean out the cubicle(it had boxes in it)and then read their employee manual, I went to lunch, came back and they sent me home.

Same thing the next day, still waiting for a computer. So they had me sit with someone. I was sent home again after lunch.

Got home that afternoon get a call from the agency and was told "your computer skills aren't at the level they want"....LOL.

Trying to explain that I didn't even have a computer fell on deaf ears.

I really believe they asked for a temp before they needed one and rather than just admit that made me the scapegoat.

You can be 100% professional and it doesn't matter.

30 months ago

Yes, they always make the temporary into the scapegoat. They lie, lie, lie about any and every thing.

30 months ago

Julie Chang in Bartlesville, Oklahoma said: Yes, they always make the temporary into the scapegoat. They lie, lie, lie about any and every thing.

Exactly. What got me upset was it wasn't true. They simply asked for a temp sooner than they were ready for someone to start. If you don't have a computer and an empty cubicle for the temp, then call the agency and say "hey we don't need anyone yet".

But to lie about it, I said how did I score well on your tests, and they also saw I didn't work more than 4 hours each day(it was supposed to be an 8 hour day)at the company.

I also had a hard time getting paid for the two days.

It was a bad experience.

30 months ago

OMG, yes. One place hired me to work as a temporary, on a temp-to-perm job as an executive assistant. During the time I was there, I was given virtually nothing to do. I kept asking for work, but was given nothing. They never even asked me to make photocopies or answer a phone. They kept saying "we don't have anything for you to do yet". Then after 2 weeks, they called me into their office and claimed there was a "personal chemistry problem" and they were letting me go. They refused to admit that the real problem was their own lack of foresight and planning: they had hired a temp worker when they didn't really need one, that was obvious. It was unbelievable that professional adults would try to pass the blame onto an innocent party. It was quite sad, I had come to work early every day, dressed sharp and ready to work. But given nothing to do, and then told I was the problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

That's awful. It is unbelievable that people just can't say we brought someone on too soon. I was very upset that day. I almost called the guy I was reporting to and ask why did you have to make me look bad?

I came in on time, dressed nice, didn't b**ch when they had me move boxes, didn't call the agency(I should have) when they sent me home at 1pm for the two days I worked there.

That by saying I couldn't do the job you could prevent me from getting other assignments. That was the worst part.

I did get another assignment but I think because I said "I didn't even touch a computer there, look at my time sheet, I worked a total of 8 hours in two days. I read employee manuals, moved boxes, and sat for awhile with another employee for some training".

"My cubicle" when I arrived on Monday morning was being used as a storage closet with no computer. Clearly the supervisor forgot I was coming and didn't tell their IT dept to set me up properly.

Prior to that I had been at full time jobs where temps were brought in, and I treated them with respect. That was long before I ever knew due to a layoff I would be a temp one day.

IDK why they just can't say we screwed up and started the temp before we needed them.

They're the client, the temp agency doesn't want to lose them. So why make the temp the scapegoat?

It's like they don't think of you as a person. That by badmouthing you for no reason could impact any future assignments.

Handsome1978 in Albuquerque, New Mexico

30 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: They will also contact you about an assignment that is supposed to last 'a few weeks' and they need you to start tomorrow. You are given a specific project to complete such as a spreadsheet. Once that spreadsheet is completed, you find that there isn't much to do and then you get a call later than evening from the agency telling you not to return. Usually it is for some vague reason such as 'they decided they were going to absorb the work internally', you 'weren't picking up the work fast enough', they hired someone perm. etc....

Nick,

This happened to me; got interview with the actual end employer on Wednesday and began work on Monday. The employer was a bank (that was taken over by FDIC in January of following year); was told I would be working with one person dealing with spreadsheets and file updates. Next day, I was paired with another temp/contract worker who was a total snooty witch and the priorities were never clear; directions contradicted each other. They claimed to want self initiative but any such self starting act was met with a contradiction of "oh. It needs to be done in such and such way" even after I began process.

I was called by agency and told that they received a call from HR, saying it was not working out. Well, I want back to the jobs board that I first found the job posting at. It was posted several times subsequently, almost in a pattern; every two weeks.

Elly in Denton, Maryland

30 months ago

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with Express Employment Professionals or Kelly Services? I haven't read about either one of them on this thread.

30 months ago

All these temporary service agencies and employment agencies are the same. They all use the same dirty tricks. Do not register with them.

30 months ago

Julie Chang in Bartlesville, Oklahoma said: All these temporary service agencies and employment agencies are the same. They all use the same dirty tricks. Do not register with them.

It seems like a racket especially these short term assignments where they need someone 'immediately for a few weeks'. You go in complete a spreadsheet that needs to be done, find out there isnt' really much or any more work and then told that you are no longer needed.

30 months ago

They get rid of temps because they knew in advance, they wouldn't need a temp for very long. But they lied to temporaries and claim its a long term position, with a chance for permanent employment. And they will let the temp go, call them stupid and incompetent, and throw them out in the street with nothing. No notice is given that your assignment will end. Not even one hour notice. They call you when you get home and tell you not to go back the next day.

Its very telling when they claim all the temporaries that work for them are incompetent, yet they keep working with the same temp agencies that supplies those workers.

Elly in Denton, Maryland

30 months ago

Julie Chang in Bartlesville, Oklahoma said: They get rid of temps because they knew in advance, they wouldn't need a temp for very long. But they lied to temporaries and claim its a long term position, with a chance for permanent employment. And they will let the temp go, call them stupid and incompetent, and throw them out in the street with nothing. No notice is given that your assignment will end. Not even one hour notice. They call you when you get home and tell you not to go back the next day.

Its very telling when they claim all the temporaries that work for them are incompetent, yet they keep working with the same temp agencies that supplies those workers.

Yeah, that happened with the one assignment I was on. It took three months to find it. It was supposed to be a three month position and then a month into it, they called the temp agency to have me removed. The temp administrative assistant showed up before lunch and they said I wasn't working out.

The weird thing was I already knew they were going to do this, due to the fact that the temp that was there on my first day got canned the second day I was there. Not to mention I went without a workstation for a week because they needed "special credentials" for me to even log onto their system.

30 months ago

Elly in Denton, Maryland said: Yeah, that happened with the one assignment I was on. It took three months to find it. It was supposed to be a three month position and then a month into it, they called the temp agency to have me removed. The temp administrative assistant showed up before lunch and they said I wasn't working out.

The weird thing was I already knew they were going to do this, due to the fact that the temp that was there on my first day got canned the second day I was there. Not to mention I went without a workstation for a week because they needed "special credentials" for me to even log onto their system.

Seems to be the norm. I was let go on the second day due to lacking enough computer skills. I never touched a computer at the company.

I did well on all the all the computer tests at the agency.

They simply weren't ready for a temp to start as they didn't have a computer for me or even a vacant cubicle.

So they blamed me instead.

I moved boxes, sat in a conference room reading their employee manuals, and was sent home at 1pm. They were so dumb I would go to lunch and come back and got sent home the two days I was there as soon as I got back from lunch.

How about just telling me to leave at 12pm?

It's very difficult when you try and act like a professional and get treated like this, and have to deal with idiots who don't even have the experience you do, and yet you're reporting to them...LOL.

Elly in Denton, Maryland

30 months ago

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida said:
They simply weren't ready for a temp to start as they didn't have a computer for me or even a vacant cubicle.

So they blamed me instead.

I moved boxes, sat in a conference room reading their employee manuals, and was sent home at 1pm. They were so dumb I would go to lunch and come back and got sent home the two days I was there as soon as I got back from lunch.

How about just telling me to leave at 12pm?

It's very difficult when you try and act like a professional and get treated like this, and have to deal with idiots who don't even have the experience you do, and yet you're reporting to them...LOL.

Yeah, that seems to be the normal thing to do. I sat there for 8 hours one day just listening to someone talk on the phone and pulling up things that I couldn't do myself. There was also no training involved when I was there, except for an hour long tutorial about the program I was using. Other than that, the ladies in the office talked amongst themselves, and I was excluded.

The other temp working on the job reported them on her first day after she sat there for four hours with nothing to do at all. I don't know what the end result was with that temp, but they got rid of me a month into the assignment. It was supposed to be a three month job.

It is very hard to be professional, I have to agree. I just think that these agencies need to think before posting ads that are not actually there. The commission must be ridiculous in order to have them do it in the first place.

With one agency, I was told I had the assignment and then the client canceled before the project was to even begin. This is the third time they did that to me.

Their reason for letting me go was "I was too talkative in the office" and "it just wasn't working out for them". My problem with that is they lied. I never spoke to anyone except for the other temp girl, who I got along really well with. (continue next post)

Elly in Denton, Maryland

30 months ago

They had the temp agency girl who hired me for that position personally escort me off the property. They never gave me an indication that anything was wrong that morning, or any time before that. It was a very sneaky thing to do, and I could tell the temp agency woman was very distraught to do something like that. They forced her to wait until I was off the property before leaving. Then they probably said they wanted a new temp girl the very next day to take my place.

30 months ago

They love to humiliate workers by having someone escort them off the premises.

Also, a client should not be allowed to slander a temporary worker. In fact, they could get sued for doing this, in some instances. They should not be claiming false things about the temp, such as stating that you were late to work, when you weren't. Keep records and documentation of your time sheets, time card, anything else you need. Print out and keep copies of emails regarding your job performance. If someone praises your work in an email, print that out and keep it. You may need it later to prove you were doing a decent job, in case the client decides to slander you to the agency.

Jan Yladvik in Chicago, Illinois

30 months ago

The employment agency called all my references one hundred times over.

30 months ago

That's awful Elly. I think we have all "been there" where we're given nothing to do even after asking. Makes for a very long day.

I love to be kept busy.

That's insane to escort you off the property. That is normally done at some companies when long time employees are laid off, not a temp.

I agree Julie it is slander. Why can't they just say "we brought this person on too soon? We need to have them come back next week."

It's not like the temp agency is going to get angry(they may not be happy)with THEIR CLIENT.

A lousy thing to do to someone who is trying to get by temping and by lying about their work ethic could prevent them from getting future assignments.

I'll never forget getting that phone call about my lack of computer skills. I was stunned. I even told her on the phone "I didn't even have a computer". I unloaded boxes and read an employee manual and got sent home 4 hours early both days.

What helped me was when I said look at the hours I worked. Went in at 9am and left at 1pm(which included a lunch hour). I said they didn't even have a work station for me or a place to sit.

I did convince the agency that it wasn't me in that case. But I shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place.

And most times you can't convince anyone and the temp is blamed for everything.

30 months ago

That is a huge problem with temping - it can actually set you back in your career goals. If the clients slander you - then the agencies won't work with you anymore. You have to find new agencies. Then, when permanent employers see a lot of short term temp assignments on your resume, they want to know why none of those places you temped at hired you. You are much better off finding ANY type of permanent job - anything! - even if it means selling clothing in a department store, or waiting tables. Working for temp agencies will harm you long term. I know someone who has temped for ten years now, and keeps hoping that she will get a permanent position at one of the places she temps. She never does. She never has. Its been ten years.

30 months ago

Jan Yladvik in Chicago, Illinois said: That is a huge problem with temping - it can actually set you back in your career goals. If the clients slander you - then the agencies won't work with you anymore. You have to find new agencies. Then, when permanent employers see a lot of short term temp assignments on your resume, they want to know why none of those places you temped at hired you. You are much better off finding ANY type of permanent job - anything! - even if it means selling clothing in a department store, or waiting tables. Working for temp agencies will harm you long term. I know someone who has temped for ten years now, and keeps hoping that she will get a permanent position at one of the places she temps. She never does. She never has. Its been ten years.

I know, this has happened to me and permanent employers want to know why I have been temping for two years and why neither of those long term assignments hired me perm. The poor job market, uncertain economy doesn't seem to resonate with most interviewers.

30 months ago

I know, this has happened to me and permanent employers want to know why I have been temping for two years and why neither of those long term assignments hired me perm. The poor job market, uncertain economy doesn't seem to resonate with most interviewers. You would think now they would be more understanding of someone who took a temp job especially in their field.

30 months ago

Employers are really dumb if they don't realize there has been a recession going on. Many intelligent, highly qualified people have gaps on their resume now, or have had to do contract work. Many businesses only hire contractors now! I temped at a company where every single worker was a temp.

Elly in Denton, Maryland

30 months ago

Julie: There were two days I had to miss due to funeral leave, and one where I was out sick. They made no indication at that time that they wanted me to leave. In fact, I remember telling the temp agency that if they wanted me to not come back to tell her the day I called out so that I wouldn't have to go through what I did the week following.

However, they never praised or talked to me. They talked to the other temp girl because she was in their age bracket and had kids. I think I upset the boss a couple of times when I told her to either give me something to do or I was going to leave and not waste my time. Perhaps that was what did it.

Sean: Yeah, I know it would be done to long term employees, but that is the second time I've had that happen to me.

The first was at a desk job I had a year. They sabotaged my files, changed my login when I was out due to medical reasons (I got hit by a pickup truck and I told my work I needed medical time off) and claimed all my data was wrong. I saw them on my computer a few times and stated I needed to change my password, but I couldn't decide on what it was. I was in the process of interviewing other jobs at the time, because the manager didn't know the employee was supposed to get a pay stub. He REFUSED to give it to me until I called the Dept of Labor and Licensing on him.

If the temp is blamed for everything, then that's just wrong in the first place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elly in Denton, Maryland

30 months ago

Jan: Yeah, it's been a problem on my resume when I was looking for jobs. I used to work at Borders for almost three years before they went under, but I was on bad terms with the manager. She made me have a nervous breakdown so I can't use her as a reference. Luckily, I have other references I can use and the Borders job usually looks good to employers. When they ask about the temp agency, I tell them I worked there since _______, but there hasn't been any work since _______. Usually they get past the fact that I worked at a temp agency.

Also, your friend has been temping for 10 years? I couldn't handle that.

And how did it go with the job that you worked with only temps? I'm curious.

Nick: Yeah, people want to complain about it with payroll, but they don't make you aware of that when they're interviewing. They want "perfection". If they don't see that, then they don't hire you. I hate the economy right now because of it.

30 months ago

Jan Yladvik in Chicago, Illinois said: That is a huge problem with temping - it can actually set you back in your career goals. If the clients slander you - then the agencies won't work with you anymore. You have to find new agencies. Then, when permanent employers see a lot of short term temp assignments on your resume, they want to know why none of those places you temped at hired you. You are much better off finding ANY type of permanent job - anything! - even if it means selling clothing in a department store, or waiting tables. Working for temp agencies will harm you long term. I know someone who has temped for ten years now, and keeps hoping that she will get a permanent position at one of the places she temps. She never does. She never has. Its been ten years.

This is very true. And very unfair.

Many people fall into the "temping" game because they're told the position is temp to perm.

IMO people who temp should be viewed as someone who can go into different work environments and adapt quickly.

Also some people actually prefer temping. I don't. But I have met people who like going from company to company.

And in with the lousy economy of the last few years people who were laid off from office jobs think temping will help possibly land a job.

I remember going on an interview for a full time job while on a my longest temp assignment(9 months).

And the interviewer made a comment about me temping and asked about what I was doing and said it sounded boring.

Well I answered"well it is a 10 minute commute and it is paying the bills"....MORON...LOL.

I didn't get the job, but I felt like saying "well it took me 2 months from the time I sent my resume in, I have to eat and have a roof over my head".

It's a very Catch 22 situation. If you don't have retail or even recent restaurant experience it is hard to get a job like that.

So your average white collar office worker heads to the temp agency.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.