Employment agencies

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 245 of 245)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5   

Jan Yladvik in Chicago, Illinois

38 months ago

If you complain to your agency about how the client is treating you, they'll just tell you "tough". The client is the one who pays them, and they don't care what kind of abuse that the client puts workers through.

Other employees often feel threatened by temporary workers, they are afraid the temp is out to steal their job. So they either give you very little work to do, or nothing. They will never give a temp anything important to work on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

Yeah, its white collar people who work as temporaries. Ask yourself if its really that important to be in a white collar job. I'd rather be in a blue collar job, because they seem to be more stable and there isn't all this 'temp to perm' runaround. Why is it so important to be able to sit at a desk all day?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

I am thinking about chef school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

38 months ago

Jan Yladvik in Chicago, Illinois said: If you complain to your agency about how the client is treating you, they'll just tell you "tough". The client is the one who pays them, and they don't care what kind of abuse that the client puts workers through.

Other employees often feel threatened by temporary workers, they are afraid the temp is out to steal their job. So they either give you very little work to do, or nothing. They will never give a temp anything important to work on.

Because it is nearly impossible to change careers if you are 'older' than a typical fresh faced college grad. If you have experience you have to 'use what you have'. I have passed several parts of the CPA exam but recruiters have all told me I am wasting my time because I don't have public accounting experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

Because it is nearly impossible to change careers if you are 'older' than a typical fresh faced college grad. If you have experience you have to 'use what you have'. I have passed several parts of the CPA exam but recruiters have all told me I am wasting my time because I don't have public accounting experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

Do not go by what recruiters tell you. Recruiters often know very little about the industry they hire for. Also, it takes no special education or training to become a recruiter. Find a job without using a recruiter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

You can change careers even when you are older, but you have to find a more open and age-friendly career field. Trying to become a paralegal when you are 55 is probably not doable. Try for something in a medical field instead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

I am 35 not 55. I meant a public accounting position once I pass the CPA exam

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida

38 months ago

Jan Yladvik in Chicago, Illinois said: You can change careers even when you are older, but you have to find a more open and age-friendly career field. Trying to become a paralegal when you are 55 is probably not doable. Try for something in a medical field instead.

Unfortunately even if someone goes into the medical field in their 50s they're going to run into age discrimination. I know someone who got laid off and went back to school to become a phlebotomist. Did well in school and even volunteered with the American Red Cross.

They tried getting hired at the Red Cross and were passed over, went on panel interview for a position at a hosptial conducted by 20 somethings and said the "panel" barely hid their disdain with the fact that she was older.

The reason so many laid off white collar workers decide to go the temping route with office jobs, it is because it is what they know.

38 months ago

Jan Yladvik in Chicago, Illinois said: If you complain to your agency about how the client is treating you, they'll just tell you "tough". The client is the one who pays them, and they don't care what kind of abuse that the client puts workers through.

This is very true. Their client is never at fault.

And yes some workers feel threatened by a temp.

I had a temp assignment that kept getting extended and lasted 9 months. I went to a new manager with a ongoing problem that kept occurring. This was a company that dealt with retirement investments.

I only did it because it because the contact at the bank I had to deal with was making major mistakes and not responding to emails when I asked them to correct the documents they were sending.

So he asked me to hold a meeting and get them on the phone and we got it straightened out. The woman(she was full time0 I worked with barely could contain her resentment.

This woman who I worked worth all of sudden felt threatened.

Prior to this she told me I should try and get hired full time.

It was hysterical she came over to me after the meeting and said"you don't like working here do you?"...LOL...like she was talking to a child.

I felt like saying "honey if you did your job(she was aware of the problem but dumped it on me) we wouldn't have had to have this meeting".

I only took control because I didn't want to get blamed when the SHTF.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't when you temp.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

sean dublin in Spring Hill, Florida said: Unfortunately even if someone goes into the medical field in their 50s they're going to run into age discrimination. I know someone who got laid off and went back to school to become a phlebotomist. Did well in school and even volunteered with the American Red Cross.

They tried getting hired at the Red Cross and were passed over, went on panel interview for a position at a hosptial conducted by 20 somethings and said the "panel" barely hid their disdain with the fact that she was older.

The reason so many laid off white collar workers decide to go the temping route with office jobs, it is because it is what they know.

I agree. You cannot just change careers & go back to school in your 30's (let alone) 50's and expect to get an interview let alone a job plus you will have to explain why you were unemployed -- going to school (or temping while in school full time) doesn't count with many of these recruiters... Accounting & Financial recruiters have told me not to bother getting the CPA because I would be wasting my time without prior related experience

Many are temping full time because they know they have to use whatever experience & skills they already have and that is their only option.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: I agree. You cannot just change careers & go back to school in your 30's (let alone) 50's and expect to get an interview let alone a job plus you will have to explain why you were unemployed -- going to school (or temping while in school full time) doesn't count with many of these recruiters... Accounting & Financial recruiters have told me not to bother getting the CPA because I would be wasting my time without prior related experience

Many are temping full time because they know they have to use whatever experience & skills they already have and that is their only option.

You're right. Going back to school is considered a gap just like someone who is unemployed. It is not viewed(as it should be) as a good thing.

They're also temping because they have to eat, pay rent/mortgage, and other bills.

It takes time and money to go back to school.

And time works against you when you reach a certain age.

How frustrating it would be to spend two years or more in school only to find out that you wasted your time and money.

And if you have worked in a office for say 15 yrs and get laid off you would have a hard time getting a job in retail or as a server in a restaurant.

That's why people get into temping.

An office environment is what they know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

You still have a far, far better chance in the medical field if you are older. Trying to get a corporate job over age 55 (for men) or age 40 (for women) is nearly impossible nowadays.

I work in a nursing home, and they have LVNs in their 60s and 70s who work there! They will hire you, if you are an LVN, no matter who you are, what you look like or how old you are. They do not care!! They will also hire you, without giving you any stupid personality testing. As long as you have your nursing license, that's all they care about. The older nurses are GREAT, especially with the older patients.

38 months ago

Jan Yladvik in Chicago, Illinois said: You still have a far, far better chance in the medical field if you are older. Trying to get a corporate job over age 55 (for men) or age 40 (for women) is nearly impossible nowadays.

I work in a nursing home, and they have LVNs in their 60s and 70s who work there! They will hire you, if you are an LVN, no matter who you are, what you look like or how old you are. They do not care!! They will also hire you, without giving you any stupid personality testing. As long as you have your nursing license, that's all they care about. The older nurses are GREAT, especially with the older patients.

Having had a family member in a nursing home I would agree SOME of the older nurses are better, some of them aren't so nice...LOL.

The thing is nursing is a physically demanding job. You're on your feet a lot, your lifting people(which strains your back), as we age it gets harder and harder to do.

There may some people who are in great shape and can do that. But a lot people who are used to sitting at a desk may not be able to do the work.

I spoke with a woman in her 30s who worked as the facilities director of the NH, she was an RN but told me she injured her back lifting patients and decided she was done with the nursing.

And then there are people who just can't stomach things like bodily fluids.

I would agree your chances are better, but not everyone can has a strong stomach and can work standing and lifting most of their day.

And again they're competing with people 20 and 30ys their junior.

38 months ago

Not all nursing jobs involve moving or lifting people. In fact, there are jobs for nurses that don't involve much direct contact with patients at all.

TryingHardToFindWork in Arlington, Virginia

38 months ago

Jan Yladvik in Chicago, Illinois said: Not all nursing jobs involve moving or lifting people. In fact, there are jobs for nurses that don't involve much direct contact with patients at all.

What jobs would those be? (I'm not interested in getting into nursing, but I'm just curious about the answer.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

24 hour on-call nurses when you call in with a health problem, they can give some quick advice.

Elly in Denton, Maryland

38 months ago

My boyfriend's mom is into nursing, but had a bad experience with a client and it ended up getting her fired. She wants to try to work again in January, but I agree that nursing is good to get into. There's never going to be a downfall or layoffs in nursing.

I'd try drawing blood but it wouldn't work for me because I'm squeamish.

As for who was talking about retail jobs, they're now hard to get into as well. I went on 9 interviews for the same kind of job I did at Borders (middle management) and I only got two out of those. Now, not only am I suffering financially (I used to make $11.50 an hour and took a two dollar pay cut) but the hours aren't even there.

Retail is slow because no one is buying in the economy. I live partly in a tourist town, and jobs are very scarce. I was lucky to get two part time jobs to almost make a full time one. But of course, they sometimes start you at the bottom before you get back to what you were making/doing before.

I just hope one of these companies sees my potential and gives me room to advance with them.

Elly in Denton, Maryland

38 months ago

My boyfriend's mom is into nursing, but had a bad experience with a client and it ended up getting her fired. She wants to try to work again in January, but I agree that nursing is good to get into. There's never going to be a downfall or layoffs in nursing.

As for who was talking about retail jobs, they're now hard to get into as well. I went on 9 interviews for the same kind of job I did at Borders (middle management) and I only got two out of those. Now, not only am I suffering financially (I used to make $11.50 an hour and took a two dollar pay cut) but the hours aren't even there.

Retail is slow because no one is buying in the economy. I live partly in a tourist town, and jobs are very scarce. I was lucky to get two part time jobs to almost make a full time one. But of course, they sometimes start you at the bottom before you get back to what you were making/doing before.

I just hope one of these companies sees my potential and gives me room to advance with them.

Elly in Denton, Maryland

38 months ago

If you see the same message twice, I apologize--Indeed.com wouldn't let me post the first time.

38 months ago

Ann Taylor stores are hiring for the holiday season.

38 months ago

Jan Yladvik in Chicago, Illinois said: Not all nursing jobs involve moving or lifting people. In fact, there are jobs for nurses that don't involve much direct contact with patients at all.

But can someone who say just got a two year nursing degree go into those jobs?

I know a nurse who now strictly deals with paperwork and has no patient contact(other then over the phone), but she has been in nursing for years. She got burnt out on nursing and was able to land this job.

I would think new nurses would be getting jobs involved in patient care. Maybe they can get jobs that involve home health care where they visit people who were recently discharged from the hospital.

But that still could involve having to lift people, depending on their condition.

But I don't think they go into jobs right out of nursing school that don't involve dealing with the patients, kind of defeats the purpose of becoming a nurse.

38 months ago

Most places don't care if the nursing degree is a 2 year degree (ADN) or 4 year degree (BSN).

nyxalinth in denver, Colorado

31 months ago

I have had some horror stories (using altered agency names):

Premier Source: I call them the Bait and Switch agency. Six times over a 5 year period, I’d respond to an ad for a great job, not too far from me (I take the bus), decent pay, etc. so I’d go and see them. Each time, it was “Oops, sorry, we filled that one just now, but here’s this job not as awesome, twice as far away, and it pays 3-4 dollars an hour less!” Once or twice, sure, I could understand it, but every single time? I don’t think so. I finally cut ties with them.

Apple Agency: Always with the fake ads. How did I know they were fake? Because I had it confirmed by someone who used to work with them, and quit. She told me “There were ads we recycled, or ‘borrowed’ from other agencies, to get people to come in and sign up so we’d have a pool of resumes on hand.”

Office Bunch: Arranged an assignment for me, I get there, the place has no idea of who I am or why I am there, the person who arranged it is out of the office. The two people who were there were very nice, but unable to help me. I am told finally it was cancelled. Nice. They could have told me, you know?

Several other agencies: One told me it was immediate start. When I get there and go through the process, I’m told “Well, I have to pass on your resume.” “Oh? I thought you’d said on the phone that it was an immediate hire. I apologize if I misunderstood. ” She got snotty, and I left. I can only wonder if the client was seeking ‘a certain type’ for the receptionist position and I didn’t meet it (I’m getting into middle age and sort of chubby). But maybe not.

--Part One

nyxalinth in denver, Colorado

31 months ago

Another agency told me it was immediate hire, only for me to find out it was an ‘observational interview’ instead. My calls to the agency about this were not returned.

And lastly, Lakeside. I go there, go through the process. I’m told I’ll be sent a link for testing by the client. I get the link, but it doesn’t work right. I email the agency, and they say “Oh, yes, the client he client told us there was a problem, they’re working on it. give us a call on Monday.”

So I do, and of course, the woman I was talking to isn’t there, nor is anyone else able to tell me what is going on. nor does she return my call, ever.

A year and a half later, she emails me trying to get me to come in and update my resume, which is fine, except I remember the big bunch of nothing I got from them before. So I tell her “If you have something in place that I would be a fit for, I’d be happy to come and talk to you about it” because I have a feeling that “Update my resume” really means “Let’s see if you have new employers listed to whom we can sell our services” because this does happen.

No response.

A few months ago, she emails me again saying “We have X position open, do you have any friends that would be interested?” She knew that it was something I was looking for from our previous discussions, and I said “Well, I would be interested in that, could you tell me more about the position, etc.?”

She ignored me.

I won’t say I will never use agencies again, because there are good ones and not everyone is being a jerk, but it’s so frustrating. --end

31 months ago

Temping can destroy your career.

If you work a lot of temp assignments, and put them on your resume, prospective employers will always assume that if you weren't hired permanent at those temp jobs, then you must have been a "bad" employee. This is the knee-jerk assumption of most of corporate America. The fact is, most temp jobs these days do NOT go permanent. 20 or 30 years ago, you had a better chance, but not anymore; most employers only want temps or contractors. Having lots of short term temp & contract jobs on your resume can destroy your chances of ever getting hired into a decent, permanent job. Even working at "Home Depot" looks better on your resume, because they know you were a perm worker there, who only left for a better opportunity.

alps in Sacramento, California

30 months ago

I've had good and bad luck with agencies. Have found short and long-term assignments. But yes, they do lie to you sometimes. You may see a job on a job board. Says they are hiring, but yet when you call, they say it's filled. I believe that they post fake jobs to get people in and recruit them. They also will not call you again if you had a bad experience and not due to your fault (bad supervisor or another employee). They are always going to take the side of the employer because that is their acct. They make several dollars more an hour than what they are paying you. The company you're working for does not know how much you are getting paid. They only know how much the agency his charging them per hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Elias Leal in Deerpark, Texas

30 months ago

Yeah its problem for the jobseeker . That temp agencies use you for your references . But U know they will eventually call U when they get an opening for job for you . I also want to comment that not only do they use your references they use your personal data to sell to to debt collectors . Company's that do repos foreclosure s and banks that are looking for you to pay yhem . Should be real serious about U apply for job at ? I applied several companies last week & I got harrassed by wells fargo for crap that happend 10 Years ago I was different name thy knew everything then I remebered I applied at temp agency prioir to the phine callls . yeah they selling your data !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: I know, this has happened to me and permanent employers want to know why I have been temping for two years and why neither of those long term assignments hired me perm. The poor job market, uncertain economy doesn't seem to resonate with most interviewers. You would think now they would be more understanding of someone who took a temp job especially in their field.

This is why temping can wreck someone's career and future job prospects. The employer always assumes you were a bad worker if your assignments did not go perm. This is the typical narrow-minded viewpoint of employers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Elias Leal in Deerpark, Texas

30 months ago

That's why alot of companies that you apply at it's who you know ? Not what you know ? I haven't had any good experiences with TEMP agencys but what can you do ? Or not do about them ? Now a days your lucky just to get the news that they're hiring ?

30 months ago

You can avoid temp agencies. They get flooded with applications anyway, at the current recession levels, they probably place only 5% of the people who come to them for jobs.

The food service industry is growing and you can earn decent money in this business, I know people who earned far money more waiting tables than the office jobs they used to work at. I would LOVE to work in a bakery as a pastry chef, but I would need to go to culinary school for that.

I guess my point is that temping and office jobs are going downhill and many Americans will need to find other options.

wredline in United States minor outlying islands

28 months ago

Indigo Recruiting Group Inc was extremely helpful when I was trying to secure a position. They were very professional and went 'above and beyond' in their attempt to secure me an interview and the assistance offered was, by far, better than I have received from other agencies. I would whole heartedly recommend them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jenny22 in Tolland, Connecticut

22 months ago

i went to a staffing agency and they set me up with an interview already for tomorrow. I only went to the staffing agency because i cant find anything else. When i went into the staffing place there were alot of other people in there that already had jobs with them...I still dont understand whats so bad about it? And what these people on this forum are talking about.

Ladyboss in Barrie, Ontario

22 months ago

I am currently actively seeking employment in the accounts payable/accounting area. I have had MANY experiences with employment agencies. How Come NO-One has mentioned that fact that the company pays the employment agency say $20.00/hour, but the employee only gets $14/hour. That's $6/hour less. The employer wants $20.00/hour work, yet the employee can only work at $14/hour pace. I like working at accounts payables because I see the invoices for me!!!!

22 months ago

The employment or temp agency must earn a profit to stay in business. That is why they bill $20 an hour for your services, but you only get $14 an hour's pay. If they gave you the entire amount they wouldn't be in business anymore. Understand?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LindyWise in Abilene, Texas

21 months ago

JH in Ft Lauderdale in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I agree TOTALLY. Agencies are a big waste of time they SUCK!
I don't understand how they stay in business . Maybe they are selling your personal information so they can make money cause it sure doesn't look like they are finding jobs for anyone! I used to work in HR and had all these moron recruiters calling every day sweet talking to you like they are your best friend! HAH! APPLEONE made me take all of their tests which I passed in the 80% group and then I never heard from them. Here I am with 20 years of experience working for execs and they don't have anything for me???? What a load of BS! ALL OF THEM STINK - Robert Half, Appleone, Office Team, Spherion, take your pick - they are all sleazebags! You might as well stand at the exit of I-95 with your hand out all day and make more money than what these agencies can do for you!

Thank you so much for this. I thought it was just me and I would get sooo discouraged. I don't have your experience background, so if it is happening to you, well...enough said. I too am done with agencies. The only thing they ever did for me was put huge holes in my resume while I waited and waited for them to deliver on their promises.

LindyWise in Abilene, Texas

21 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: I agree. You cannot just change careers & go back to school in your 30's (let alone) 50's and expect to get an interview let alone a job plus you will have to explain why you were unemployed -- going to school (or temping while in school full time ) doesn't count with many of these recruiters... Accounting & Financial recruiters have told me not to bother getting the CPA because I would be wasting my time without prior related experience

Yes, this is true. I went back to school in my 40s and was at the top of my class. I have never gotten a job in this career field and I am going back to my original career field.

21 months ago

What career fields are you looking for a job in? Some career fields are unrealistic these days.

21 months ago

That's true. Spending too much time with temp agencies can ruin your career - seriously. I know someone who has played the temp game for ten years now. She never landed a permanent job, got messed around with many times, now she is 40 years old and her resume looks awful.

Even working at Starbuck's for a couple of years looks better on your resume, than short term temp assignments.

21 months ago

To Jan
But you never mention that do you. From my experience temp agency recruiters are some of the biggest liars I have encountered in the workplace. I especially love it when the actual position is completely different than the description of the job and if you dare ask too many questions or anything you get replaced with not even an hours notice just a call at 7pn in thd the evening telling you assignment is over without any reason given why

21 months ago

To Jan
But you never mention that do you. From my experience temp agency recruiters are some of the biggest liars I have encountered in the workplace. I especially love it when the actual position is completely different than the description of the job and if you dare ask too many questions or anything you get replaced with not even an hours notice just a call at 7pn in thd the evening telling you assignment is over without any reason given why a see

21 months ago

Yes, temp agencies do replace workers for silly reasons.

I once had a temp agency complain that I had asked "too many questions" on my first day of an assignment. They said the client felt I should have just tried to figure out everything by myself! Well, when you are NEW somewhere you do have to ask questions.

My take on that, is that the client could not find ANY other reason to complain about me, because I did my work VERY well. So they grasped on to the only thing they could come up with - the fact that I asked a few questions.

Meg in San Jose, California

21 months ago

Ladyboss in Barrie, Ontario said: I am currently actively seeking employment in the accounts payable / accounting area. I have had MANY experiences with employment agencies. How Come NO-One has mentioned that fact that the company pays the employment agency say $20.00/hour, but the employee only gets $14/hour. That's $6/hour less. The employer wants $20.00/hour work, yet the employee can only work at $14/hour pace. I like working at accounts payables because I see the invoices for me!!!!

Sounds reasonable to me.... the agency needs to pay their bills and make some profit, right? Some agencies only pay to the contractors half of what employers actually pay to them. A lot of AP jobs are gone forever because of automation and if there're any left -- usually in small companies -- they're usually taken by folks with a degree because they have a hard time in landing an accountant's job.

Meg in San Jose, California

21 months ago

Jan Yladvik in Chicago, Illinois said: Yes, temp agencies do replace workers for silly reasons.

I once had a temp agency complain that I had asked "too many questions" on my first day of an assignment. They said the client felt I should have just tried to figure out everything by myself! Well, when you are NEW somewhere you do have to ask questions.

My take on that, is that the client could not find ANY other reason to complain about me, because I did my work VERY well. So they grasped on to the only thing they could come up with - the fact that I asked a few questions.

You may want to change your thinking, I'm not saying you did anything wrong, but the real world is cruel, if a mean and strange boss doesn't like me on a personal level, I'm out. I actually had a similar experience, to be honest.

my2cents in Midlothian, Illinois

7 months ago

I wouldn't waste my time with employment agencies. They bring you in for an interview, they test you, you fill out paperwork, then....NOTHING.

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.