What's the company culture at AutoZone?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at AutoZone?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at AutoZone?

Reply - Report abuse

Nightsqueen in Olympia, Washington

62 months ago

I don't know about other AZ's, but the ones here in the SW Washington district are awful. The DM does not know the first thing about auto parts, and he would rather spend his time complaining about dress code rather than making sure his employees and customers are taken care of. Dress code is really simple...black pants with no excessive pockets or logos, gray or red shirt depending on job title with no logos UNLESS it's an AZ logo (approved through HR). The company preaches all these great customer service ideas, but in my area, they rarely deliver. You help a customer out at their vehicle, you get bitched at for violating company policy (changing a wiper blade?) Customers expect simple tasks to be performed by the employee, such as a battery, headlight or wiper blade change, they are not asking for complete engine overhauls yet employees are being reprimanded as if they were doing just that (because they get a little dirty). As far as employee morale, because of the DM and certain SM's in the district, it sucks...there is a lot of backbiting and crap talking. Red shirts (the pee-ons) get zero gratitude for the work they do, and the PSM's(Part-sales manager, one step below SM, essentially) do all the work and in some cases, do the work of the SM with none of the benefits. Oh yeah...to boost company morale, they are throwing a Christmas party this year...for the SM's ONLY. PSM's and red shirts are NOT invited. I don't see how that will build employee morale.
Red shirts and PSM's (both hourly by the way) are NOT permitted to be seen together outside of work. If they are caught hanging out together, the employees are terminated. I understand this policy for salaried managers and hourly employees, but when both employees are hourly the company has NO RIGHT to dictate who the employees associate with during their off-time.
Again, this may differ in other areas, and you may be lucky enough to have good management, but here in my area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nightsqueen in Olympia, Washington

62 months ago

to finish my statement....
This area needs better district managers and store managers, people familiar with cars and car parts, and with the ability to effectively manage their teams and create a positive work environment. Until then, they couldn't pay me enough to work there.
The reason I know all this? My boyfriend works there. He has worked in the auto-parts industry off and on for almost 30 years. He is a mechanic as well. He knows how a good company is run, and autozone in our area is not it. Why doesn't he just leave and go elsewhere, you may ask? Well, to put it as simply as possible, he loves a challenge, he knows that he will get a management position (he is currently a PSM) and he wants to show them "how it's done". He also has had 2 back surgeries and as a result is no longer able to be a professional mechanic due to the strains that the job puts on his back. So he focuses all his energies on helping his customers and trying to make Autozone a better place to work and shop. I say good luck to him, he'll need it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.