What's the company culture at AutoTrader.com?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at AutoTrader.com?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at AutoTrader.com?

Reply - Report abuse

ravenwolven in Tampa, Florida

60 months ago

CRRRRRAAAAAACK!

That is the sound of the whip snapping over your head. "Business Casual" is what they say, but they are oh-so-particular about what their interpretation is of business casual. Believe me, pushing the dress code will get you sent home or fired. Its ridiculous.

I could see a strict dress code if you were facing clients every day, but we didn't. They think that a dress code unifies people. I only felt extremely uncomfortable distracted and under-dressed since I couldn't afford to buy the quality of clothes that everyone else had. I wasted $500 on just clothes since none of the other jobs I've held required anything dressy. With exceptions of a bathroom break and lunch, my feet were under my desk at all times. Why the hell do I need to wear dress shoes? Because my co-workers would be jealous if I had sneakers on.

Some of the people were cool and would get together after work, but it mainly stayed by work group. Sales with sales, production with production, management with management. We went to lunch once in a while. Socially people were great, but when the gloves were on back in the office you had to watch out for the dagger in the back. I haven't experienced people that were that two-faced since school.

It felt like I was under a pendulum every minute I was at work. I had to walk on egg shells constantly. It was an extremely stifling, uncomfortable place to work and even though there is a recession, I was absolutely relieved when I was let go. Life has been bliss ever since. I never realized just how bad the stress of working there was until I wasn't working there any more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.