Annoyed and a little discouraged

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Mark in Rome, New York

84 months ago

I am a recent college grad and I have a bachelor of science degree. My major is Economic Crime Investigation with a major in computer and network security. My problem is that every where I go I am told the same thing over and over, "We are looking for someone with experience." How am I supposed to gain any experience. Its been almost 4 months since I graduated and still no promising job prospects!!! I am 30 years old with a family and a mortgage. I went to college so I wouldn't have to perform physical labor intense jobs because of a back operation. Right before graduation I was laid off after 4 yrs as delivery person with a local lumber company. I though it would be easy to find a good job with a BS degree!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Dallas, Texas

84 months ago

Mark in Rome, New York said: I am a recent college grad and I have a bachelor of science degree. My major is Economic Crime Investigation with a major in computer and network security. My problem is that every where I go I am told the same thing over and over, "We are looking for someone with experience." How am I supposed to gain any experience. Its been almost 4 months since I graduated and still no promising job prospects!!! I am 30 years old with a family and a mortgage. I went to college so I wouldn't have to perform physical labor intense jobs because of a back operation. Right before graduation I was laid off after 4 yrs as delivery person with a local lumber company. I though it would be easy to find a good job with a BS degree!!!!

I have a BS also and had a difficult time finding work experience. Try searching under social services. If all else fails, teach.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Bethesda, Maryland

84 months ago

Have you tried local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies?

Ginny in Denver, Colorado

84 months ago

Mark in Rome, New York said: I am a recent college grad and I have a bachelor of science degree. My major is Economic Crime Investigation with a major in computer and network security. My problem is that every where I go I am told the same thing over and over, "We are looking for someone with experience." How am I supposed to gain any experience. Its been almost 4 months since I graduated and still no promising job prospects!!! I am 30 years old with a family and a mortgage. I went to college so I wouldn't have to perform physical labor intense jobs because of a back operation. Right before graduation I was laid off after 4 yrs as delivery person with a local lumber company. I though it would be easy to find a good job with a BS degree!!!!

I also graduated college in 4 years with a BS in Business Administration with a minor in Speech Communications. Then I earned a Series 6 license to trade mutual funds; laid off then I earned a paralegal license; and I'm unemployed for 3 months now. I tell you there's lots of jobs in the Hotel or fast food industry at this time of year in Denver! The experience thing is a Catch-22 for the legal industry as well. How do I get experience if no one will hire me?

Sorry in Alpharetta, Georgia

84 months ago

Ginny in Denver, Colorado said: How do I get experience if no one will hire me?

How did you get credit when you were a teenager if no one would give you credit? Everybody starts out small. Your age does not matter. If you have no experience in a job then you have to find someone who will give you a job that is related to your degree.

BTW, these days a BS degree is not worth the paper it's written on in most cases. Most people put that they have a BS degree at least whether they actually have one or not. Yeah, you wasted your time and money there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Looking Secretly in Gaithersburg, Maryland

84 months ago

A number of years ago, I switched job functions from accounting to finance and it took a year! I had done some bookkeeping where I made myself valuable I was able to do more than just bookkeeping functions. I was working in fixed asset accounting (very boring) until I could stretch myself into a finance position with a large manufacturer. I used a functional resume that emphasized what I could do rather than the number of years. My first interview with the company wasn't the right job, but the manager liked me so well, he recommended me to another manager who did hire me. Seems there would be a good demand for your talents these days. Good luck to you, don't give up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ginny in Denver, Colorado

84 months ago

Thank you for your kind words. I just have to keep going to those interviews-I'm not just sending out resume's, I'm actually getting interviews! Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.