How to get a job at BARNES & NOBLE BOOKSELLERS.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

Do you work at BARNES & NOBLE BOOKSELLERS? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Amy Tibor in Stratford, Connecticut

75 months ago

I second the above request. Based on Barnes & Noble's benefits package and simply the environment, which would suit me quite right, I have been trying to obtain a job within one of the retail stores for quite some time. Any suggestions? Anything? Much thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

BNMGR in Cincinnati, Ohio

69 months ago

Some advice...be flexible in your approach. If you go in there saying "I want to be a _______" (Insert bookseller, music seller, manager...whatever position) then that's going to count against you.

Now that the company is restructuring the way their stores run, most people need to be cross-trained in different areas. Especially B&N Cafe. If you walk in there and lose enthusiasm because you're told that you'd have to be trained in the cafe first, you're not gonna shine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Camivette in Costa Mesa, California

60 months ago

BNMGR in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Some advice...be flexible in your approach. If you go in there saying "I want to be a _______" (Insert bookseller, music seller, manager...whatever position) then that's going to count against you.

Now that the company is restructuring the way their stores run, most people need to be cross-trained in different areas. Especially B&N Cafe. If you walk in there and lose enthusiasm because you're told that you'd have to be trained in the cafe first, you're not gonna shine.

I agree with all of these. You must be as flexible as possible about where you will work and when. These bookstores get A LOT of applications every week and have the luxury of being picky. Also, because they get applications so often, they don't need to go back and find old apps when they need to hire someone. So even though they retain applications on file, you should keep calling and asking if they are hiring, and then re-apply when they are. Once you get hired, you will have quite a bit of security as the company is doing well and has so many stores across the country that you hae many options.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.