How to get a job at Baker Hughes.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (49)

Host

Do you work at Baker Hughes? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Baker and hiring freeze in Houston, Texas

86 months ago

Baker has alot of issues, not to mention the attitudes of these folks, especially the higher ups. This group was very disappointing when I interviewed there. They were very slow to get back to me, then I was told that there was a hiring freeze "for a few months". Don't expect too much from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (86) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Burned in Spring, Texas

86 months ago

Baker and hiring freeze in Houston, Texas said: Baker has alot of issues, not to mention the attitudes of these folks, especially the higher ups. This group was very disappointing when I interviewed there. They were very slow to get back to me, then I was told that there was a hiring freeze "for a few months". Don't expect too much from them.

Be Very wary of BHBSS, especially this department. It is a disaster! Corporate culture is very cut throat and backstabbing. Classic case of management is always right, never does anything wrong, and the underlings are in bondage! Take it from someone who absolutely knows first hand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Job Seeker in Spring, Texas

86 months ago

Baker and hiring freeze in Houston, Texas said: Baker has alot of issues, not to mention the attitudes of these folks, especially the higher ups. This group was very disappointing when I interviewed there. They were very slow to get back to me, then I was told that there was a hiring freeze "for a few months". Don't expect too much from them.

While I want to congratulate you for getting an interview with Baker, I'm not the least surprised about them not getting back to you.

I've talked to them at job fairs and my impression is that I have more education under my belt than all of the recruiters combined.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tx native in Houston, Texas

85 months ago

No they did not. I was very disappointed. I had several interviews, and the interviews with the individuals I would have worked with were positive. It was the last interview with somebody very high and this person had a very cold demeanor. I suppose it was for the best though.

It seems to me that they are not sure what they are looking for based on the fact that they told me this was a new position and they didn't have specifics for the position. As I watch what is going on with their job postings, I don't think they know what they want.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

aglaz@codgi.com in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

85 months ago

I am a recruiter and I am always looking for good talented engineers in the offshore drilling industry. Please feel free to contact me back when you get a chance.

aglaz@codgi.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Elk City, Oklahoma

85 months ago

I interviewed with Baker Oil Tools for a health and safety position. I will admit I was not the best qualified candidate so I didn't get hired. That's cool.

What isn't cool....I went on 2 interviews. I drove 4 hours round trip for each. The second interview lasted 20 minutes. The questions in the 2nd interview were standard HR questions....(1) How did a previous manager motivate you? (2) Tell me about time when you were frustrated at work and how did you handle it? (3) What skills do you bring to this job? (4) Give me one word that summarizes you so I'll remember you.

What was clear in the 2nd interview was that the hiring manager didn't want to hire anyone with any ambition, no one that wanted to move up or around in the company. She wanted to hire someone content to do the same job in the same location for as long as possible.

The "rejection" letter came via email and from an individual I never even heard of. I would have thought one of the two individuals that interviewed me would have signed a letter, sent an email, made a phone call, etc. especially since I spoken with one of the individuals on the phone many times.

I will also add that I have detected a huge amount of chauvinism from senior management.

I'll stop with that although I could go on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Velma in Corpus Christi, Texas

85 months ago

Burned in Spring, Texas said: Be Very wary of BHBSS, especially this department. It is a disaster! Corporate culture is very cut throat and backstabbing. Classic case of management is always right, never does anything wrong, and the underlings are in bondage! Take it from someone who absolutely knows first hand.

Sounds like a company by the name of JV Industial/JV Piping they are the same way there also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Reliability Engineer in Gladewater, Texas

84 months ago

This job is now open for more than a year, why? No qualified reliabilty engineer who can meet "Black Hole" requirements or what?
Applying is a waste of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in SHREVEPORT, Louisiana

84 months ago

My husband has been working for Baker Atlas as an Engineer for 8 months.........so far he has been over worked and under paid. They are always having all these big saftey meetings, and saftery blah,blah,blah but all they are REALLY worried about is making $$$$$. They work their engineers and operators over the regulated amount of hours allowed and then try and find ways around it just to make money.

They did train my husband and send him to all kinds of schools but hopefully he will be able to use that experience with another company who doesn't treat their employees like slaves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Janeane in Newark, New Jersey

78 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Baker Hughes? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

This is the worst company in the world. I did an interview on campus and another at their Louisiana office where one of the three interviewers was chewing and spitting tobacco into a cup while interviewing me. It was crass. Still, I held on because the pitch I was given was that they liked my mix of education and would like to use my background in an innovative manner. For the next interview, I practically had to wring out a time from the manager and was flown to Houston. After that, it was all lies and deception. For an interview that took place in January, I was still trying to get an answer by September ! Before you wonder why I didn't move on, I'll tell you (1) The manager told me the day after the final interview that they felt I had a future with them ! (2) I was actually told in an e-mail they were going to make me an offer but couldn't do so because of a hiring freeze and that I only had to wait for the freeze to be lifted. They are crap peddlers if you ask me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Bouchala tarek in Bejaia, Algeria

78 months ago

i would like to find a job in your society as an electrotechnic ingineer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Kimberland in Houston, Texas

65 months ago

I see that this forum was started over a year ago, but I would like to share my experience with Baker Hughes. I actually went on 2 interview and within 2 weeks of my second interview I received an email with a job offer with Baker Oil Tools in Houston as a Design Engineer. I accepted the job offer early Dec. of 2008 and I will be graduating May 2009. I found that the employees and upper management at Baker Hughes were very informative and down to Earth. They kept me updated throughout the entire process. I got the first interview through the university recruitment and went to a home interview about 3 weeks later. I was actually shock to read the comments above because I had a completely different experience. To be very honest those interviews were the best interviews that I have ever had. I felt comfortable with them and I felt like I could be myself. It is true that there has been a hiring freeze early of last year and that there is currently a hiring freeze due to the recession but that is across the board at all companies.

To Jjanet in Houston I am not sure how far they go back on drug test but I had to take a hair and urine test. I actually heard that the hair test can go back as far as the last 5 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

david stjohn in Fort Worth, Texas

62 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Baker Hughes? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

no/ I was drilling on a pace rig for nabors usa, and baker allway worked safety,so baker is the job to try to get to stay working safety.I have been a toolpusher for patterson uti for 4 years before, nabors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

SKY in Tempe, Arizona

51 months ago

How did the interview go? Was it in person or telephonic?

siddharthanand01 in Gainesville, Florida said: Hello,

I have an interview with Baker Hughes tomorrow for the position of a University Engineer I at Houston, TX. Are there any set of questions or interview tips you can give me. I have become really skeptical about the company after reading all these reviews. I'd really appreciate if you can give a more up to date or current intake on the company.

Thanks,

Siddharth

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Danial in Albuquerque, New Mexico

51 months ago

Hello,
My id is danial.tom534@gmail.com

Could you please just send me a test email so i can ask some questions about the second round of interview for University Engineer I? I have been selected for it but have not been invited yet. I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks
Danial

siddharthanand01 in Gainesville, Florida said: Hello,

I have an interview with Baker Hughes tomorrow for the position of a University Engineer I at Houston, TX. Are there any set of questions or interview tips you can give me. I have become really skeptical about the company after reading all these reviews. I'd really appreciate if you can give a more up to date or current intake on the company.

Thanks,

Siddharth

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Doug in Calgary, Alberta

47 months ago

I just got hired on at Baker Hughes, and yes it was a long process. I had 3 phone interviews before and hr interview and then the final. Took about 2 months to get to this point, but I can now say I am Baker Hughes Brand new Equipment Operator. Just waiting on a start date, which I should hear back tomorrow afternoon for.

I'm brand new to the industry, so this is looking good for me, some of the comments have made me a little weary, but one step at a time lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Ledy in Indonesia in Bandung, Indonesia

38 months ago

Hi everyone,
i just completed Belit Assessment after phone interview by HR's Baker Hughes in Houston. the interviewer name is Miranda Ruiz. and i want to know:
1. How long i have to wait for next step hiring process?
2. And what kind of step i have to follow?
3. How the possibility for woman engineer work as field engineer in Baker Hughes? :)

FYI, I got phone interview after 2 weeks i applied online through the website and i got the noticement from Miranda to continue the hiring step with Belit Assessment after 1 weeks later.
i would very appreciate for somebody give me any advice or any information regarding this topic.
Thank you

Best of luck for all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mbast in Birmingham, United Kingdom

38 months ago

Hi Ledy,

I am in the same situation with you as well. It has been nearly two weeks since I took the exam but no mails from Baker Hughes yet. I would be appreciated if you could inform me whether you got a mail about further assessment.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ledy Febriana in Jakarta, Indonesia

38 months ago

hi mbast from UK..
i am glad hear that i have a friend has same situation with me. may i know your email address? so we can discuss/ give information about this matter. thank you. my email:ledyfebriana@yahoo.co.id

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

brcn in Turkey

38 months ago

Hi Ledy and mbast,
So we are in the same boat. I will be glad if you let me know when you get any news...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ledy Febriana in Jakarta, Indonesia

38 months ago

Hi..
i just read email from recruiter tell me to not worry about my application status that i'm still in considering, because after i completed Belit Assessment, the decision is in Hiring Manager and i've been told to wait more until they receive any information from hiring manager they will contact me either via phone or email.
thx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mbast in Birmingham, United Kingdom

37 months ago

Hi,
It seems nobody has got any reply from the company so far. It is really getting annoying :((

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Vic in Houston, Texas

36 months ago

Does anyone had the Electrical Mechanical writting test from Baker Hughes at the interview? If someone have please help me with some information about it. Im trying to get a job with them as an EMT, I know aint to easy to get a job there unlees you know someone there. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

selim in Istanbul, Turkey

34 months ago

brcn in Turkey said: Hi Ledy and mbast,
So we are in the same boat. I will be glad if you let me know when you get any news...

Hi,

I have applied to the one in Turkey as well brcn. For the one as Graduate Field Engineer. It has been about 2 months and no word. Are they going to get back at me even if I do not make it. I hate when companies don't let you know so you keep waiting. Let me know if you hear anything from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ben Grayu in Aberdeen, United Kingdom

33 months ago

Without doubt Baker Hughes is the worst company I have ever worked for. They made several false promises to me in my interview with regards to training opportunities and job progression, however within my first 3 months of working there it became apparent that these were blatant lies.

I was given an absolutely bogus contract which stipulated that I basically had no holiday allowance and that I was to be treated as an offshore worker (didn't get an offshore salary of course).

What was even more frustrating is that when I complained to my managers it was met with scepticism and I was told that I was being negative. Needless to say that I finished with the company that same week.

I should also point out that the position I was given was not anything near to the job description they had advertised.

The work culture at Baker was one of backstabbing and blame. I would not touch this company with a barge pole, the prospect of unemployment is more appealing than working for this bunch of shysters again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Oh, I should also point out that I have seen people take more than 5 months to get a start date out of the company as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

leslielyons@mail.org in Houston, Texas

33 months ago

aglaz@codgi.com in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida said: I am a recruiter and I am always looking for good talented engineers in the offshore drilling industry. Please feel free to contact me back when you get a chance.

aglaz@codgi.com

I am wanting to make a shift from Ocean Shipping to the Oil industry. Any recommendations? Also looking to update my resume to a better one but I can not seem to located an decent one to base my from.

L. Lyons

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

iku04108 in Glasgow, United Kingdom

33 months ago

Ben Grayu in Aberdeen, United Kingdom said: Without doubt Baker Hughes is the worst company I have ever worked for. They made several false promises to me in my interview with regards to training opportunities and job progression, however within my first 3 months of working there it became apparent that these were blatant lies.

I was given an absolutely bogus contract which stipulated that I basically had no holiday allowance and that I was to be treated as an offshore worker (didn't get an offshore salary of course).

What was even more frustrating is that when I complained to my managers it was met with scepticism and I was told that I was being negative. Needless to say that I finished with the company that same week.

I should also point out that the position I was given was not anything near to the job description they had advertised.

The work culture at Baker was one of backstabbing and blame. I would not touch this company with a barge pole, the prospect of unemployment is more appealing than working for this bunch of shysters again.

What was the department you worked in and the job role? I have an interview them in a few weeks.

Kyle

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

iku04108 in Glasgow, United Kingdom said: What was the department you worked in and the job role? I have an interview them in a few weeks.

Kyle

Hi Kyle,

I was part of the BEACON Systems Support team. They are based mostly in Aberdeen and Houston.

Ben

Monica in Wilmington, North Carolina

33 months ago

I would like to get a job with Baker Hughes as a LWD or field engineer. I have a BS in geology. Can anyone offer any advice as to how I get in touch with a specific recruiter? I have used the website - but would like to find a contact for a real person in the hiring department.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

gparker in Kilgore, Texas

33 months ago

I have worked with Baker Hughes for about 3 months. And I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. To work for this company and to be my age (22), is a blessing in itself. The people here at this district are all very down to earth and care about the success of the employees here. BHI is definitely somewhere I plan to stay for a VERY long period of time, and I plan to take advantage of every opportunity of advancing with this company. So for those of you who have applied and did not get hired, I suggest that instead of bad talking the company, that you try again to get hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Eric Hamilton in Jacksonville, Florida

33 months ago

Parker, that's definitally the best comment Ive seen on this page. Ive been trying nonstop to land anything at other companies but just recently decided to try out bakerhughes. Just curious, what job did you get and did you have any experience prior?

[if youd rather just email me, you can do that at WTW904@yahoo.com , Ill probably end up with more questions anyways ha]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lgraffiti

31 months ago

Monica in Wilmington, North Carolina said: I would like to get a job with Baker Hughes as a LWD or field engineer. I have a BS in geology. Can anyone offer any advice as to how I get in touch with a specific recruiter? I have used the website - but would like to find a contact for a real person in the hiring department.

I had an interview with baker hughes just two weeks ago. If you want to start a job right away i would suggest fast food. BH motto is to be ambitious not rude or impatient. Keep in contact with them find phone numbers to their offices online, just give them a call and keep calling around and make a note of each individual you talk to. This is what i did and got an interview within the week, no experience in the oil field what so ever and it was the best interview of my life. Even if they don't call me back it was life changing and they filled me with such a confidence that i had never felt before. Those of you who have worked with baker and hughes before and it did not work out, maybe both they and you felt like weren't the right person for the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Wilmington, North Carolina

31 months ago

I had a very similar experience, lgraffiti. I really enjoyed my interview with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Krista in Bakersfield, California

30 months ago

Wow I can't believe all of the negative comments! I submitted my resume and a recruiter called me shortly after for an interview. After one interview with very nice people, I got an offer letter that week. Two weeks later I had completed all the paperwork and drug tests and was ready to go. No problems, no rude people and Houston was incredibly helpful. I found out that they DO look at Facebook and also various forums to see what is being said about them. My advice (as I love my job and get to travel a lot!) is to keep trying, upload updated resumes and stop posting negative comments because they might see it and use it against you. There WAS a hiring freeze but it's been lifted and they are hiring like crazy but they are looking for personable people with degrees and ambition. I had no problems getting right in when there was a position open but it is generally difficult to get in. Don't hurt yourself by talking bad about them if you still want the chance to work for them. And have patience. HR is really backed up with all of the hiring they are doing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

beverly in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

29 months ago

i been trying to get with this company for a while, i have a friend & so love it , she said the money is so good, . she encouraged me to try cause she know i am a hard worker never missed a day fromi believe in , ( not work no money ) , i would love to work with this company until i retire. & thats at leasted 20 ys from now , so everyone just keep trying like me it being 5 or more months now, i havent gave up & the good new is . I am not giving up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bev 1 in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

29 months ago

Does anybody know a recruiter, or someone in HR for baker Hughes in the Texas area, they have a pumping press operator opening

HS in Magnolia, Texas

26 months ago

My wife is trying to get on with Baker Hughes in the great Houston area... we've heard great things and then some not so great things about the company. Does anyone have any personal experience with BH they'd like to share?

If so please email me at haloschism@gmail.com

haloschism @ gmail . com

Mr. Brown in Thibodaux, Louisiana

25 months ago

Jjanet in Houston, Texas said: my son just got interviewed , and we think he might get a job. we dont know. does anyone know how many years baker hughes goes back on a back ground check and hair test.

It should not matter how far they go back. If your son really wants the job he should stay "clean".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Elias Leal in Deerpark, Texas

25 months ago

I just now learning that Baker Hughes is having a job fair ,opening in the worksource . That they will be hiring the first 100 persons that apply from 8 am to 9 am . But for jobs like drilling laborers or like what type of jobs though ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nivlek in Perth, Australia

25 months ago

Well, I've been contacted by one of the director of BHI australiasia to see him, along with one of the senior HR manager, they are trying to offer me a position in the company, as I've got several months of experience in that company during my uni life as an intern. Not sure if the meet up with these big guns is an interview. What kind of question should I be expecting?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nln_1990 in Victoria, Australia

16 months ago

Nivlek in Perth, Australia said: Well, I've been contacted by one of the director of BHI australiasia to see him, along with one of the senior HR manager , they are trying to offer me a position in the company, as I've got several months of experience in that company during my uni life as an intern . Not sure if the meet up with these big guns is an interview. What kind of question should I be expecting?

Hay Mate,

Did you end up excepting the offer??
Just wondering how their Graduate Program Assessment day goes if you have had that experience?? Thanks

Abby in Great Falls, Montana

12 months ago

GParker, I am in Oklahoma, not Great Falls, Montana

I agree with you! I have applied for MANY positions at Baker Hughes and never received a phone call, until Today! I applied 4 days ago, so that is GOOD!!! It is for an administrative job and I have wanted to work at Baker for MANY years now. It is a phone interview and hopefully it doesn't take as long to get hired as many people have stated here.

gparker in Kilgore, Texas said: I have worked with Baker Hughes for about 3 months. And I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. To work for this company and to be my age (22), is a blessing in itself. The people here at this district are all very down to earth and care about the success of the employees here. BHI is definitely somewhere I plan to stay for a VERY long period of time, and I plan to take advantage of every opportunity of advancing with this company. So for those of you who have applied and did not get hired, I suggest that instead of bad talking the company, that you try again to get hired.

Daniel in Houston, Texas

11 months ago

Doug in Calgary, Alberta said: I just got hired on at Baker Hughes, and yes it was a long process. I had 3 phone interviews before and hr interview and then the final. Took about 2 months to get to this point, but I can now say I am Baker Hughes Brand new Equipment Operator . Just waiting on a start date, which I should hear back tomorrow afternoon for.

I'm brand new to the industry, so this is looking good for me, some of the comments have made me a little weary, but one step at a time lol.

Doug, I'm having my first phone interview today for an equipment operator position. Would you be able to go over a couple of sample questions with me?

melissa.hartley72 in Apo

10 months ago

I just got off of a phone interview and the lady was absolutely wonderful to talk to. I applied on Friday (take into regard that this was a 3 day weekend) and got an email stating that she was trying to reach me today, Wednesday. I gave her the contact info and best time to call me, because I am currently working on an APO outside of the U.S., and she completely worked it into her schedule and called me at the agreed upon time. Now it's all to be sent up to the hiring manager and with the experience I have and God in my corner, I am hoping to get a call back soon. She even told me to keep in touch with her via phone or email if I had any questions. I personally think Baker Hughes has an extremely grounded and professional hiring process from the lady I was lucky enough to deal with this morning.

sifou in Algeria

10 months ago

melissa.hartley72 in Apo said: I just got off of a phone interview and the lady was absolutely wonderful to talk to. I applied on Friday (take into regard that this was a 3 day weekend) and got an email stating that she was trying to reach me today, Wednesday. I gave her the contact info and best time to call me, because I am currently working on an APO outside of the U.S., and she completely worked it into her schedule and called me at the agreed upon time. Now it's all to be sent up to the hiring manager and with the experience I have and God in my corner, I am hoping to get a call back soon. She even told me to keep in touch with her via phone or email if I had any questions. I personally think Baker Hughes has an extremely grounded and professional hiring process from the lady I was lucky enough to deal with this morning.

Hello Melissa i am also having the same experience as u i would like to get more details about your phone interview?

please help!

8 months ago

My husband was hired onto Baker Hughes a month ago and we still have yet to get a start date. Has anyone else had this problem? How long did it take some of you to get a start date?

Mauricio in Bogotá, Colombia

7 months ago

Hello everybody

I had 1 phone interview in september of present year, after i received a email wich I approved the first step of recruitment process, then I am waiting the second round. I want to somebody tell me how is the second round, I applied for a field specialist position, and how long could it be the process.
Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.