Background check - Hiring process. Someone help!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

DJ in Bangor, Maine

48 months ago

So here is my dilemma...

I got hired at Bank of America, did all my forms, I9, picture Id, etc and I'm scheduled (or at least was) to start on the 22nd of August. They asked if I've ever been convicted of a crime, I answered yes. I have a petty theft charge from about 6 years ago and a drug paraphanelia charge from two years ago. Everyone has told me they don't care about the paraphanelia just the theft... which seems obvious. The thing is, when she did the background check on me I came back clean, perhaps because I've never actually been arrested or gone to jail.. But I stupidly answered "Yes" and told them specifically about the theft charge. I guess honesty doesn't pay off because now, the woman at "corporate security" wants my court documentation on these charges showing the outcome. What pisses me off is if I said "No" to having any criminal convictions, I wouldn't be going through this. I know if I give the documentation then this is grounds for them to terminate me before my actual start date. Why have they not yet? I'm curious if perhaps they cannot terminate my employment because the official background check that my job is contingent upon DID come back CLEAN. If I give her the court documents, howevever, that is all they'll need to terminate me. Any advice in this matter would be appreciated. What happens if I don't give them the court records?

DJ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DJ in Bangor, Maine

48 months ago

BTW. It's not the actual banking center, but the a calling center.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

impz in Los Angeles, California

48 months ago

It is possible the only reason your background came back clean ("Satisfactory") is because you did disclose the charge in advance so the background investigation company couldn't hold it against you. ie You weren't attempting to conceal something in your past. Background checks are used to find what people are trying to hide otherwise you would have been disqualified well before this point. Now that BoA has received a clean bill on the remainder of your history, they need to investigate what you disclosed to determine its severity. And this comes into play as you will need to be bonded prior to employment. In a call center you will have unlimited access to customer records and other sensitive information, some of which, like home loans, could potentially be hundreds of thousands of dollars if the employee tampers with files and results in homeowner getting a free mortgage.

In your official offer confirmation letter, you will see that there is a section regarding the "Interim Period" which allows BoA to withdraw the offer anytime prior to your scheduled start date. If you don't give CS the records, or, at the minimum, attempt to justify lack of records, the offer will likely be withdrawn. In your case, you only have one option if you want to keep the job and that is to handover the records. I would strongly encourage that you include a detailed explanation again with your records stating everything that occurred. If you've progressed this far, odds are still in your favor, but you can mess it up if you don't follow through. Its unfortunate that honesty can cause more hassle, but ultimately it shows in your favor that you are upfront and adds to your trustworthiness. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mchisholm1111 in Lancaster, California

48 months ago

DJ in Bangor, Maine said: So here is my dilemma...

I got hired at Bank of America, did all my forms, I9, picture Id, etc and I'm scheduled (or at least was) to start on the 22nd of August. They asked if I've ever been convicted of a crime, I answered yes. I have a petty theft charge from about 6 years ago and a drug paraphanelia charge from two years ago. Everyone has told me they don't care about the paraphanelia just the theft... which seems obvious. The thing is, when she did the background check on me I came back clean, perhaps because I've never actually been arrested or gone to jail.. But I stupidly answered "Yes" and told them specifically about the theft charge. I guess honesty doesn't pay off because now, the woman at "corporate security" wants my court documentation on these charges showing the outcome. What pisses me off is if I said "No" to having any criminal convictions, I wouldn't be going through this. I know if I give the documentation then this is grounds for them to terminate me before my actual start date. Why have they not yet? I'm curious if perhaps they cannot terminate my employment because the official background check that my job is contingent upon DID come back CLEAN. If I give her the court documents, howevever, that is all they'll need to terminate me. Any advice in this matter would be appreciated. What happens if I don't give them the court records?

DJ

In my opinion honesty is the best answer. I'm currently going through the same hiring process. I am applying for a call center position starting Sep. 12. I've been in constant contact with my recuiter being completely honest the whole way and it seems to be for the best. So far she says that if any concerns comes up the investigation team will contact me to verify any information. At that time you'll have a chance to explain what happened. You can't hide your past the best thing to do is to admit it and move forward. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.