California Laws and Reporting Firings

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Curious in Cali in corona, California

1 month ago

Hey guys - quick question. As many of you know California is a very EmployEE friendly state. One of the key points is that fact that <as I understand it> Businesses are not allowed to report if you were fired if someone were to ask.

Being as that is - if you are doing the ASI for a position in California if you were to report that you were not fired from a position - would there be any legal way for bofa to obtain info that could show that you were?

In my personal spot I dispute how a job ended between me and a particular company (I believe i quit and subsequently joined another job a few days later - they say they fired me) I obviously would rather not put that I was fired when I truly believe I wasnt.

I know some people say 'They always have a way' - personally i believe that this way is simply looking to see if you filed for unemployment or not. In Cali you get unemployment for being laid off or fired (very rare to get it by quitting). So i believe they may check that - but there is certainly no data base.

Can anyone shed some light on this. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

1 month ago

Curious in Cali in corona, California said: Hey guys - quick question. As many of you know California is a very EmployEE friendly state. One of the key points is that fact that <as I understand it> Businesses are not allowed to report if you were fired if someone were to ask.

Can anyone shed some light on this. Thanks!

Where did you hear this at?

There are two kinds of terminations: Hard and Soft. A hard termination is one that involves a criminal action or possible criminal action: theft, fighting, sexual harassment, sabotage, etc. If it goes to court, it becomes public record even if you win. Public record is easily checked on a Background Investigation.

That is why we settle sexual harassment cases out-of-court for pennies on the dollar. Would you ever hire someone who won a million dollar sexual harassment suit?

A soft termination is usually a breach of protocol or violation of some procedure. A company can say you were terminated because of cause but will seldom go into detail because most of the time, they don't know themselves. I have done employment verifications on people that were gone long before I got there. All I see on the screen is: terminated due to cause.

Now what many companies do will when asked Would you rehire, is to answer just Yes or No. That's it. That protects them legally because its the truth and the truth is a valid defense. That is what 3rd party verifiers do and they have never met you.

If you are curious as to what a previous employee will say or not say, you can check. Its not very expensive: www.myreferences.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.