Eligibility For Rehire Conspiracy?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

ugottabkidding in Charlotte, North Carolina

53 months ago

After turning in my notice of resignation at Bofa, working a two week and one day notice, and leaving on what I thought were good terms, I confirmed recently that I'm not eligible for rehire. My former manager never told me I'd be ineligible (even though I approached him directly before completing my notice) and even offered on two occasions (after I left the bank) to provide an internal reference to any hiring managers with whom I've interviewed.

As it turned out, advice & counsel told me managers don't have to have a valid reason; they can make subordinates ineligible for no reason at all. My A&C contact agreed that my manager should have been forthcoming especially since I had directly approached him with my eligibility request...small comfort since I am now "banished from the kingdom" with absolutely no recourse.

I'm hearing from some former colleagues that they are not eligible for rehire. Some were seemingly set up and fired, and others felt in order to avoid be fired they had no choice but to resign. (The latter applied to my situation.) I've also heard from an inside source that there is a movement to reverse the "all or nothing" result of ineligibility so that potentially, former associates may be considered for positions in other areas of the bank. I don't wish to go back to the area I most recently left, but I would like to go back to PM work which I enjoyed when I first came to Bofa.

..just wondering if anyone else has found they are not eligible for rehire at Bofa and the circumstances, if they care to share. Could there be some sort of managerial conspiracy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Upset in Santa Barbara, California

49 months ago

I was working in the West Hills, CA office. I worked for a group that was very immature and there was much profanity. I was an outsider to the group and obviously did not fit it. There were many incidents of individuals using the f-bomb word. I was let go in under 6 months. I understood that I was not eligible for re-hire and tried to send letters to Advice and Counsel. However, I believe the same team of Advice and Counsel also advised the person who fired me. In ending, I actually believed I did not fit into the group as I wasn't an obnoxious individual. Alas, it is what the boss thinks. Does anyone have any insight as to best try to reverse a non-rehire decision? I actually think the person handling my case in Advice and Counsel also advised the Manager who fired me. Does anyone have any insights into how the BofA Advice and Counsel works?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

limacompany3033 in Phoenix, Arizona

20 months ago

Unbelievable in Lewisville, Texas said: Well I decided to comment on this topic because just last week I was advised that I was ineligible for rehire with BOA. It's funny because I've never worked for BOA. In 1996, yes I said 1996, I worked for Nations Bank and in 1997, BOA bought Nations Bank. I was 19 and was hired as a teller. Recently I applied for two positions within BOA and the recruiters called me within days of submitting my application. Two hours before I was to leave for my interview, one of the recruiters called and informed me that I was ineligible because I had worked for Nations Bank in 1996 and in my employee records, I had received a poor performance review. I truly don't remeber this, but it was 1996. I wasnt fired or forced to resign. I thought this was so far fetched because 1) I was 19 in '96. 2) I have successfully obtained 3 degrees. My Bachelor, masters and juris doctorate.. I spoke with advice and counsel and confirmed this information. I have since requested my employee file from BOA. I would really like to see the poor performance review that I signed. And even if I did, is there not any deference extended to situation like mine. I just thought this was unbelievable. I'm really hoping Incan prove that there's some sort of mistake. It's the principle for me now...

I am in the same boat as you. I was a teller back in 97, I left bank of America because I joined the military. Since then I received my bachelors in finance and hold several investment licenses. I got hire last month with Merrill Lynch and a week before my start date, they rescind the offer because for the same reason. My hiring manager and recruiter are working hard and supporting my but I have to submit an eligibility for rehire request and then they will review it. How did yours go?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Metoo1973 in Saint Louis, Missouri

17 months ago

hey i worled for BOFA Back in 2003 great company .but some people play god when given the opportunity to make more money . i thought i resigned back in 2006 after receiving multiple awards and certs for being a team lead . An outsider was hired as the superviser to my dept .at that time i started looking for employment as i applied for the possition and was turned down again they hired some one from out side whos wife worked at bofa . i found an opportunity in sales out of bofa and gave my 2 weeks in writting at that point in time i had 198 pto remaining and i asked if i can use 2 days out of my pto to move out of the city i was living in to start my job the following monday he said yes .that was friday and monday . as i persued my carrier in sales i met a vp at BOA that liked my work and customer service skills and offered me a job in sales at bofa i said yes with out thinking bout it they are a great company and take care of there workers . but once i applied i was not elligible for rehire .I had the vp drive down to my old city just to speak to him and he said no .that was 524 miles away round trip total .he knew where she came from and he even agreed to her driving down only to tell her no when she got there .he could of told her that on the phone . i recently found out he was fired and was woundering if this could be over turned . i mean the only bad thing i have to say about bank of america is that rehire rule that should be looked at in other ways other then the way it was placed cause my issue was more personal with me dont know why but it is what it is . and im not glad he was fired but he had it comeing .i need assistance i have been trying to get hired with bofa since 2006 . there has to be a way .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Chad Maze in Las Vegas, Nevada

16 months ago

You can appeal your ineligible for rehire status to the B of A Global HR group:

www.bankofamerica.com/assocites

Select your State

In the third column, near the bottom: Rehire Status Inquiry Form (PDF)

Complete it with your reasons for appeal and send it in for review. 10 days you'll have an answer.

Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Texas

8 months ago

limacompany3033 in Phoenix, Arizona said: I am in the same boat as you. I was a teller back in 97, I left bank of America because I joined the military. Since then I received my bachelors in finance and hold several investment licenses. I got hire last month with Merrill Lynch and a week before my start date, they rescind the offer because for the same reason. My hiring manager and recruiter are working hard and supporting my but I have to submit an eligibility for rehire request and then they will review it. How did yours go?

Did you get hired?

CRs in Dallas, Texas

3 months ago

The same exact experience happened to me,after I gave my two weeks notice. Myself and others in the Richardson,TX location gave notice and not egibale for rehire even on cotract jobs that are available. I 2008 my job was short sales and my portfolio was more than six months behind time line and realitors was complaining when i started so intead of getting fired for z already damaged goods i turned in my notice. Now BAC monopolize the whole work foce on contact jobs I started can't work on their loans since 2008.

Before I resigned from BAC - I specifically asked my supervisor if she
was going to make me eligible for re-hire, she no problem because I give a notification.

On a side-note I had resigned because I could not get a transfer into the department I
It just goes to show many things don't make sense in the corporate world.

EndlessJoy in Atlanta, Georgia

3 months ago

Employers may not be able to get more than salary, dates of hire, from previous employers. But all they have to do is ask that rehire eligibility question, and you could be toast.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.