Harrasment by Bank of America

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (31)

Jomundo_d in El Paso, Texas

88 months ago

I have received three call from one of your male employees (Phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx [Contact info deleted by Host]). The harrasser keeps asking for a woman with the last name LOPEZ and I keep telling him that there is no Lopez here. I do not know what about the word "NO" he does not understand. I hope you can contact this harrasser and advise him that phone harrassment is illegal. Further I hope that you can stop his harrassment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jerry in Apopka, Florida

88 months ago

Sounds more like a "collector" vs a harasser. If you just recently rec'd the phone number i.e. you moved or had service changed, then tell person calling the circumstances and that they have reached a wrong albeit working telephone number.
However, if it is a legitimate call for you and the individual is calling at hours other than say 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., then you might have a complaint about harassment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Been There Before

88 months ago

Tell them if you get one more phone call from that you'll start seeking charges. However, you must ask to speak to this person's supervisor and tell them that.

Jerry said: Sounds more like a "collector" vs a harasser. If you just recently rec'd the phone number i.e. you moved or had service changed, then tell person calling the circumstances and that they have reached a wrong albeit working telephone number.
However, if it is a legitimate call for you and the individual is calling at hours other than say 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., then you might have a complaint about harassment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia from Philadelphia in Wayne, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

Hey Jomundo-I hope this helps!!

www.donotcall.gov

Did you get an email claiming that your cell phone is about to be assaulted by telemarketing calls because of a new cell phone number database? Those claims are not true. In fact, federal law prohibits telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phones. You may place your personal cell phone number on the National Do Not Call Registry, but there is generally no reason to do so. For more information, see the FTC's press release "The Truth about Cell Phones and the Do Not Call Registry".
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
The National Do Not Call Registry gives you a choice about whether to receive telemarketing calls at home. Most telemarketers should not call your number once it has been on the registry for 31 days. If they do, you can file a complaint at this Website. You can register your home or mobile phone for free. Your registration will be effective for five years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Rocky Mount, North Carolina

88 months ago

My sister worked for Bank of America and was either to be fired or she had to resign because she was about to retire. They harrassed her on the job so much that she was constanly in tears. Finally, because of false charges against her she had to quit. She is still upset over this today. This has been two years ago. Her self esteem is at an altime low. She had worked for them for 15 years. This is not fair, just because a person is about to retire. She lost so much in company benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sissy in Gastonia, North Carolina

87 months ago

Everyone should pay close attention to the last comment from "Linda". Sounds familiar

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Candidate in Cary in Raleigh, North Carolina

87 months ago

Personally I think that in a situation such as your sister's, it is better to make them fire you than to quit. If your sister documented everything that happened, and sought legal advice, chances are she could have left with a good severance package as most companies go out of their way to avoid lawsuits from employees. Once you quit, you have no recourse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ronald in Kearny, New Jersey

87 months ago

Yeah right federal law prohibits companies from calling especially if you're on all the do not call lists, my ass. All the companies have found a way around that, they now randomly call poeple and use any name. They then claim they dailed the wrong number meanwhile they are giving you a sales pitch trying to give you to sign up. I get phone calls from these companies all the time and they say oh sorry we must have the wrong number. Sure you made a mistake, thats why next week you tried again using another fake name, but you still had my phone number right didn't you. Furthermore you still knew i was on every do not call list and your not supposed to even call me. You have the updated do not call list with my number on it and you knew before you called me you werent supposed to, so who's kidding who.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Robert in New York, New York

87 months ago

Candidate in Cary in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Personally I think that in a situation such as your sister's, it is better to make them fire you than to quit. If your sister documented everything that happened, and sought legal advice, chances are she could have left with a good severance package as most companies go out of their way to avoid lawsuits from employees. Once you quit, you have no recourse.

I totally agree, seemed like they were conrnering her to quit as she neared retired. No way. She would of definitely been eligible for at least some severance, not to mention six months of federal unemployment benefits. If you ask me,- not a smart thing to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Baltimore, Maryland

86 months ago

I worked for BoA in Baltimore. I was the only white person in my office, and when layoffs came around, I was the one let go despite my being more qualified, dedicated, and a harder worker than others who were not layed off.
I understand that they're all about diversity, and I think it's great, but their customer service is going down the crapper because they hire too many people who can't speak fluent English. Transactions take longer, mistakes are made, and customers get fed up with having to constantly correct things. "Bank of Opportunity" is a great marketing slogan, but there's a greater chance of something bad happening than a car/home loan, equity line, refinance, etc. Chances are, the opportunity isn't going to be yours, but will come at your expense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tony in Staten Island, New York

86 months ago

I keep receiving calls from Synergy Solutions on behalf of bank of America. They offer to monitor your credit history for farud. I called bank of America and they siad they never heard of them. After the calls kept coming I called Bank of America and they said yes they work for them. I also get emails from Bank of America saying your account has been compromised. Is BOA making yoou believe your account is in danger to give Synergy Solutions business or vice versa. Anyway I am getting rid of my credit card through BOA. They are actual pains in the asses. Whether it is legal or not, people do not want to be bothered with those annoying phone calls. Those callers are pains in the asses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Baltimore, Maryland

86 months ago

I should have mentioned that the 757 area code is Norfolk, Virginia, where a call center is located. Often, the call centers aren't actually BoA, but a contractor. I've worked in one before, and your number is stored in the "system" and is auto-dialed, so it's not like people are sitting around calling you over and over. Until someone actually dispositions your number as the wrong number, you'll keep getting churned around and called repeatedly. Sometimes, if the system has few numbers in it, you'll get calls over and over and over. All it takes is one smart enough employee to click a button that says it's the wrong number. God forbid that customer service steps up a notch and does its job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

alex in Astoria, New York

86 months ago

Ok guys I found a way to bit them. Call them back from internet. Skype.com yahoo mesenge e.t.c it's free.
put them on all together and call them. They will go nuts. They cant do anything about it bc you allready have the proof that they called you first.

If you guys want we can have a day per saying, friday 5 pm, when the're very tired. where we can call them all at the same time. They will get the message!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jobless Female in Washington, District of Columbia

86 months ago

Or just hit *57 to send their number to the phone company tracing unit and then turn around, call your local police in regards to the harrassment, call BoA, ask the name of the President and address, give the phone number to the detective who gets your tracing records. Harrassment is harrassment and until we all step up to plate and voicing it to the proper people, they will continue to get away with it. I've been on the DNC list and I still get calls......... that registry is the govts way of saying they did something for us without actually doing a thing. It made us feel good that they created it - but who actually takes the time to do something when they don't honor it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia

85 months ago

Jon from Dallas, Tx in Concord, California said: To be honest I am employed with bank of america and i am one of the reps who does this calling. I appologize for any incovenience we may incur, yet the list of people we call aren't always the most accurate especially if the calling list is a fresh list. If we come across wrong numbers it may take up to 30 days to correct the change on all of our calling lists, and to clarify .. we are legally permitted to call households between the hours of 9 am and 9 pm.

The above reply is correct. It is a simple mistake. Sometimes people will make up a number when asked for their home phone number and other times a person will purposefully give a wrong number when committing the crime of check fraud or something. They accidentally chose your number at random.

Whatever the situation, all you have to do is just explain they have the wrong number and as the individual has said, it may take several calls to get every list cleared.

There is no need to make a Federal case out of a simple wrong number call. Probably the only time it would be considered harassment was if the same person called you from the same number and several times a day for several days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia

85 months ago

Jon from Dallas, Tx in Concord, California said: To be honest I am employed with bank of america and i am one of the reps who does this calling. I appologize for any incovenience we may incur, yet the list of people we call aren't always the most accurate especially if the calling list is a fresh list. If we come across wrong numbers it may take up to 30 days to correct the change on all of our calling lists, and to clarify .. we are legally permitted to call households between the hours of 9 am and 9 pm.

The above reply is correct. It is a simple mistake. Sometimes people will make up a number when asked for their home phone number and other times a person will purposefully give a wrong number when committing the crime of check fraud or something. They accidentally chose your number at random.

Whatever the situation, all you have to do is just explain they have the wrong number and as the individual has said, it may take several calls to get every list cleared.

There is no need to make a Federal case out of a simple wrong number call. Probably the only time it would be considered harassment was if the same person called you from the same number and several times a day for several days.

Jobless Female in Washington, District of Columbia

84 months ago

Cheryl K in Delaware in Norristown, Pennsylvania said: Why didn't this person who got the phone calls just say "Wrong number" and hang up? I do that to anybody who calls my landline number; I was harassed by a former coworker about four years ago; she doesn't call me anymore. She went up the river last year due to disorderly conduct charges. To Michelle, the only white person in her office who was dismissed and she was better than all the rest, I see a reverse discrimination case here. I'm sick of all the XXXXX taking all of my jobs away from me when I'm more qualified than they are.

Highly inappropriate use of words. And no I am not an African American. Prejudice terminology has no place in this forum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Alfred S in Boston, Massachusetts

83 months ago

I keep recieving these e-mails stating that my account has been suspended and they are also telling me to click on the following link and update my account information. How can I get these fraudulant e-mails to stop??

Leah in Seattle, Washington

83 months ago

I worked for Bank of America for a number of years before I was forced to retire. I cannot believe that upper management is so out of touch with what is happening with their associates in many of their locations. So many good people were fired, forced to resign or retire, quit, left on disability; you name it. Thye have an associate satisfaction survey which they hope all employees will complete. Last I heard they had to revise it at least twice. Many people will not complete this believing their identity can be traced. Of those that did, the comments were so bad they may even be working on a 3rd.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

83 months ago

Alfred S in Boston, Massachusetts said: I keep recieving these e-mails stating that my account has been suspended and they are also telling me to click on the following link and update my account information. How can I get these fraudulant e-mails to stop??

Send a copy of the fraud mail to them here:

www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/Control.do?body=privacysecur_contact

loladotlola in Florida

82 months ago

I would be interested in speaking to your sister or to you about this matter.

I am preparing an expose on the banking industry with particular emphasis on their hiring and employment practices.

You may contact me at lola.lola@gmail.com

loladotlola in Florida

82 months ago

Michelle in Baltimore, Maryland said: I worked for BoA in Baltimore. I was the only white person in my office, and when layoffs came around, I was the one let go despite my being more qualified, dedicated, and a harder worker than others who were not layed off.
I understand that they're all about diversity, and I think it's great, but their customer service is going down the crapper because they hire too many people who can't speak fluent English. Transactions take longer, mistakes are made, and customers get fed up with having to constantly correct things. "Bank of Opportunity" is a great marketing slogan, but there's a greater chance of something bad happening than a car/home loan, equity line, refinance, etc. Chances are, the opportunity isn't going to be yours, but will come at your expense.

I would be interested in speaking to you or to anyone who believes he/she has been mistreated by BOA...customers or employees. Located anywhere in the country.

I am preparing an expose on the banking industry with particular emphasis on their hiring and employment practices.

I will also be covering the subject of CUSTOMER SERVICE in the lobby/branch and on the phone.

You may contact me at lola.lola@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

grinwithin in Fort Monmouth, New Jersey

81 months ago

I am a BAC survivor. I was out on disability with erratic blood pressure problems and it is documented by the BAC shrink and a medical physician the problems were due to ongoing harassment caused for being a whistle blower. The person I blowed the whistle on, suddenly got a promotion and became my boss while I was demoted.

While out on disability, MetLife refused to sign off on BAC making payment because I would not release all of my medical records to the boss who stated publically she would use any information to see me fired because I had the nerve to report her for abusive and racist comments.

I filed complaints with the State of NJ DOL and BAC falsified in writing they had paid me 100% of salary under Workers Comp. The State dropped the case.

So I was terminated while on disability, I was told I could have a severance or relocate to the division's home office to be sitting right next to the woman who I had blown the whistle on. I elected the severance.

Needless to say, I never received a penny of severance. When entire office I worked out of closed down a few months later, the same offer was provided to all remaining employees and THEY RECEIVED their package without a fight and the bank did not fight unemployment claiming refusal of suitable work.

So now that I have names and evidence of favoritism, I called BAC Personnel and no explantation was given, the ususal run around and told I would get a call back in 24 hours. No surprise there is no call.

I know I have a case, but just need to work my butt off and get a $10,000 required retainer to get it going.

They also refused COBRA coverage and billed me sending me personal information for an alleged payroll overpayment payment of another employee I didn't even know. Talk about privacy and personal information. If I were a crook I have this woman's last known address, social, direct deposit info and a lot more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Didi in State College, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

Jomundo_d in El Paso, Texas said: I have received three call from one of your male employees (Phone number xxx-xxx-xxxx [Contact info deleted by Host]). The harrasser keeps asking for a woman with the last name LOPEZ and I keep telling him that there is no Lopez here. I do not know what about the word "NO" he does not understand. I hope you can contact this harrasser and advise him that phone harrassment is illegal. Further I hope that you can stop his harrassment.

Not only was the previous replies correct, I must also add that phone numbers of account holders are used for numerous solicitation campaigns at the same time. While one tele-services office might be calling a list to offer customers insurence on their credit cards, another office might be working on offering totally new credit cards...sometimes the same exact customers are on these multiple lists and it would be nearly impossible to clean these lists so that the same customers aren't called consecutively.

I too apologize for any inconvenience and/or interuption to your day these calls may have caused you, but please know we aren't intentionally trying to harass anyone.

Also know, that even if a person/customer may have their number listed with the national "Do Not Call" list, that we as their representing bank have the right to solicite to our own customers. All banks are allowed to do this.
So, even if you pull accounts from B of A and take your business elsewhere, you're opening yourself up for more solicitation calls from any new bank you might choose.

Hope this helps.

Didi in State College, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

Ronald in Kearny, New Jersey said: Yeah right federal law prohibits companies from calling especially if you're on all the do not call lists, my ass. All the companies have found a way around that, they now randomly call poeple and use any name. They then claim they dailed the wrong number meanwhile they are giving you a sales pitch trying to give you to sign up. I get phone calls from these companies all the time and they say oh sorry we must have the wrong number. Sure you made a mistake, thats why next week you tried again using another fake name, but you still had my phone number right didn't you. Furthermore you still knew i was on every do not call list and your not supposed to even call me. You have the updated do not call list with my number on it and you knew before you called me you werent supposed to, so who's kidding who.

You could NOT be more wrong if you tried!!!

ALL companies with ANY relationship with their own customers MAY call on their customers for any type of solicitation.

ALL the "Do Not Call" list is meant to do is protect those on it from "UNSOLICITED" calls. Such as calls from Citibank when the person being called has NO relationship with that bank, no accounts, loans, credit cards, co-ownership accounts, signing priveledges...etc.

If a person being called has EVEN ONE of these types of relationship with a company, that company is perfectly within the law to call on their clients.

If you don't like this, the ONLY way to avoid it is to live in a cave without a cell phone or computer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

slaintedone in Marion, Virginia

42 months ago

Even though you're on the DO NOT CALL LIST - Bank of America can call you up to 18 months after you close your account. The next time someone calls, simply tell the REP on the other end to add you to the DO NOT CALL LIST" if you say "don't call me anymore" then that doesn't mean "add me to the list" you have to specificially say "add me to the do not call list" I work as a telemarketer for Bank of America. (not that I chose my job, I had to find something to pay my mortgage) I am and have been looking for a different job every since I got hired (3 weeks ago) I do understand that they do call people who "Don't live here anymore" and EVEN businesses - which they're not supposed too. If you want to be taken off the list you can also call eight eight eight six six five nine nine zero zero and it'll give you an option to go on the banks Do Not Call List. And - it could take up to 30 days for your number to be removed from all of the campaignes that Bank of America is dialing from. OH - and if you requested to be on the list - and if you say that you're about to get a lawyer and sue, then they'll expedite your request to be taken off the list. I think Bank of America sucks, and shouldn't be so sloppy as to telemarket their customers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Jobless Female in Washington, District of Columbia said: Or just hit *57 to send their number to the phone company tracing unit and then turn around, call your local police in regards to the harrassment, call BoA, ask the name of the President and address, give the phone number to the detective who gets your tracing records. Harrassment is harrassment and until we all step up to plate and voicing it to the proper people, they will continue to get away with it. I've been on the DNC list and I still get calls......... that registry is the govts way of saying they did something for us without actually doing a thing. It made us feel good that they created it - but who actually takes the time to do something when they don't honor it?

-- BOA can call their customers who are on the do not call list - if you have a relationship with a company then they can call. It's not harassment - Simply tell the REP on the other end to put you on the banks do not call list. A simple solution.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

alex in Astoria, New York said: Ok guys I found a way to bit them. Call them back from internet. Skype.com yahoo mesenge e.t.c it's free.
put them on all together and call them. They will go nuts. They cant do anything about it bc you allready have the proof that they called you first.

If you guys want we can have a day per saying, friday 5 pm, when the're very tired. where we can call them all at the same time. They will get the message!!!

- heh.. you'll be calling an automated number. I don't think they'll care... You should alteast call the number before posting that.

honeybee815 in Rincon, Georgia

42 months ago

slaintedone in Marion, Virginia said: Even though you're on the DO NOT CALL LIST - Bank of America can call you up to 18 months after you close your account. The next time someone calls, simply tell the REP on the other end to add you to the DO NOT CALL LIST" if you say "don't call me anymore" then that doesn't mean "add me to the list" you have to specificially say "add me to the do not call list" I work as a telemarketer for Bank of America. (not that I chose my job, I had to find something to pay my mortgage) I am and have been looking for a different job every since I got hired (3 weeks ago) I do understand that they do call people who "Don't live here anymore" and EVEN businesses - which they're not supposed too. If you want to be taken off the list you can also call eight eight eight six six five nine nine zero zero and it'll give you an option to go on the banks Do Not Call List. And - it could take up to 30 days for your number to be removed from all of the campaignes that Bank of America is dialing from. OH - and if you requested to be on the list - and if you say that you're about to get a lawyer and sue, then they'll expedite your request to be taken off the list. I think Bank of America sucks, and shouldn't be so sloppy as to telemarket their customers.

If you want to be put on their do not call list but can't bear to pick up the phone when they call to tell them that (because you have to listen to a long sales pitch first or be very rude and interrupt them), send their customer service a message through Online banking and ask them to do it. I did this the other day and received a polite reply that they are putting me on the do not call list. We'll see if it works. Also, I figured out how to block certain phone numbers with my digital phone service, so every time B of A or one of their companies call, I block their number. But it only holds 12 phone numbers and it's filling up fast...

slaintedone

42 months ago

Honeybee - at the center I work for - we sell the 'Privacy source service' attempting to send you 'your credit reports' and we sell the supplemental auto insurance. At our call center if they/we keep calling after you requested to be on the list just tell the person that you're about to seek legal advice and were supposed to take you off all the list immediately. I'm sorry they call you. This os the worst job I've ever had, and I don't agree with BOA telemarketing their clients. When I call someone and they're like 'look, I'm tired of BOA calling all the time' I generally just put them on the Do Not Call list. Which, I'm not supposed to do. I really hope they don't call you anymore. What sucks the worst for me is when I call someone and their spouse answers and tells me they're deceased. I just feel awful when that happens.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

rogereh1952@yahoo.com in Antioch, Tennessee

27 months ago

My loan is paid up and I am getting 4 to 5 calls a day from BOA. I beleive is it a mindless machine. Complaing does no good as the computer will reset to call me after a day or so after the supervisor cuts off the calls. I have tried to transfer the calls back to Bank of America and it does no good. I bang the phone and they still call. I no longer beleive the employees have the authority to cut off the calls as I can be very intimidating. Since I do not want to change numbers I am going to have to invest over a hundred in a caller ID manager to block the endless mindless calls without end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.