Question regarding code of ethics violation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Happy2binschool in Sacramento, California

45 months ago

I don't work for BofA, however I just found out someone very close to me got fired for a code of ethics violation. The person had worked while in college, then full time for over three years with no problems. Now, with no notice the person is fired for misreading a foreign ID and now has a code of ethics violation on her record for 7 years. Is this with BofA only or with the company that does the background checks for banks? Not sure how the banking industry works it all out. This means that this person now cannot even be considered for banking positions. No write up, no pay reduction, just out the door. What a sorry company...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lawnarjax in Jacksonville, Florida

45 months ago

Sounds like there is more to the story than you know. It is a reach to label it a "sorry" company when you have so little insight into what happened. What record are you referring to? Criminal Record? Credit Report? There is no one "record" that all employers share and have access too regarding employees. What does 7 years have to to with anything? All employers do some version of background checks, they are required to at least make sure you are legally allowed to work in this country. Employees that are going to be handling financial transactions are going to get more scrutiny. Employees that are performing tasks that do not deal with financials may not, depends of the company and the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

There are always two sides to a story, no news there. The seven year statement was what BofA told the person they fired after the person already had a tentative job offer, but then it was retracted because he couldn't pass a background check - no criminal history, legal to work in the country, good credit (this I know is correct). I'm entitled to my opinion about calling Bank of America a sorry company. I'm old enough to remember how the banking industry dumped a lot of employees in the past 30 years. There is no protection in private sector work that is the sad, sorry truth.

lawnarjax in Jacksonville, Florida

45 months ago

Just trying to get an idea of what happened, but the facts seem to have changed from your first post to your second. Not sure I can offer any insight without a understanding of what happened. It appears that your friend was not fired at all, but rather an offer for employment was revoked because of something in that persons history. depending on where this person lives I believe they can ask for a copy of the report containing the information. I have found that most HR recruiters will just tell you exactly what info is causing the problem. To your final 2 sentences I would simply say this: employment is not a right, and companies have to do what it takes to survive. Name one entity (other than the government) that has not had to cut back now and then over the last 30 years. Those jobs belong to the employers not the employees, there is no sure thing in any sector, private, public, nobody is entitled to a job or even "protection". Self reliance, hard work, education, all things that make the pursuit of happiness a reality, but none of which ensure any measure of success.

One quote may sum this up:
"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle always to the strong, neither yet bread always to the wise, nor yet riches always to men of understanding, nor yet favour always to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Out of curiosity, what exactly is your background, lawnarjax? Are you an attorney familiar with HR laws? Do you have any experience in the banking industry? You posed several questions in your first reply, of which, I unfortunately do not have those answers. If I had, I wouldn't have posed the original question. I can only pose questions to the community with the information I have. When people get terminated, it is not the most pleasant experience. Something maybe you've never had the pleasure of experiencing. Some parts of the details get left out. That being said, I'm asking for information, not a lecture of the rights of employers.
FYi, the story didn't change. You received more details as requested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Upset in Tampa, Florida

41 months ago

Does Bank of America allow its married employees to have affairs while at work and its Supervisors to be aware of it?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.