Rehire status change

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

lovie in Irving, Texas

6 months ago

I worked for BoA almost 8 yrs ago. I was involved in a fairly severe car accident during my lunch break that resulted in a trip to hospital. I was put on prescription meds & advised by a doctor not to drive or work. At the same time this happened my current Branch Manager was promoted to a new position in California. Our branch didn't have a manager for a couple weeks. When we did finally get a manager I went in to speak with her about taking a leave of absence. She cut me off & said that there were no options left for me as she was letting me go. I was only 20 yrs old when this happened & naive with my rights under FMLA. She told me she was doing me a favor because I would be able to get unemployment & when I had recouped I could reapply. I filed with unemployment and was approved. The rep even told me that I had a case to fight BoA because they fired me illegally. As I said before I was 20 and the idea or a lawsuit was overwhelming. I ended up getting a great opportunity with JPMorgan & never looked back.

Now it's 8 years later & I found a job with a broker at Merrill Lynch. I was given an offer & went through the entire process (fingerprinting etc) The day after I completed it all I got a call from the recruiter saying that they were having to rescind my offer due to a discrepancy with my employment history. I did understand what that could be as I was 100% honest. He told me I could appeal this decision and I would get a letter within a week telling me the reason I was rejected. He also said I could call advice and counsel to see if they might have more information. I contacted advice and counsel and they told me that I had a status of not eligible for rehire. I was very surprised to hear this as I had a medical reason to have missed work. They did let me know I could file a request for an investigation to have my rehire status changed. I am now waiting on an answer. Has anyone done this before and what were the results? Any info would be very helpful!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Texas

5 months ago

So what happened. Were they able to overturn everything and offer you the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lovie in Irving, Texas

5 months ago

Actually they came back and said no!!! Merrill people got involved and got it reversed. Had I not had the market manager work on this it wouldn't have turned out. My advice to anyone going through this is to get whatever upper management you can involved because you can't rely on the process alone. In fact when they went back to the investigators they found many discrepancies with their investigation and so the investigators said they'd reverse the decision. It was as if they never even took the time to read over everything. They took the entire 10 business days to respond with a generic message. Anyway get anyone/everyone you can to help you plead your case because that's about the only way this will get reversed.

Angela in Union City, Georgia

29 days ago

Lovie in Irving, Texas said: Actually they came back and said no!!! Merrill people got involved and got it reversed. Had I not had the market manager work on this it wouldn't have turned out. My advice to anyone going through this is to get whatever upper management you can involved because you can't rely on the process alone. In fact when they went back to the investigators they found many discrepancies with their investigation and so the investigators said they'd reverse the decision. It was as if they never even took the time to read over everything. They took the entire 10 business days to respond with a generic message. Anyway get anyone/everyone you can to help you plead your case because that's about the only way this will get reversed.

Omg I'm going thru thr same thing

Angela in Union City, Georgia

29 days ago

Its sad.... it was 18 years for me

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.