I TOO RECENTLY APPLIED AT BANK OF AMERICA AND I HAVE SOME SERIOUS CONCERNS...FEED BACK PLEASE!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

mswright in oakland, California

60 months ago

Okay for one I know my credit score is in the low 500 but I have heard of lot of you say that they may not run credit. My major concern is, I have on my resume that I worked for a Chiropractor for 6 years when I did not. I was actually an exotic dancer during that time. I just don't feel that I could disclose that information to any company if I want a job. The Chiropractor in question is actually a really good friend of mine and he is legit willing to vouch for me but will they see that there is no real record of that and then throw me in the trash or will they go ahead and contact him and verify? Also, will they see that I was an independent contracted dancer? The last thing is, do they or do they not do DRUG TEST? If so, what kind. I once got offered a job at the Hotel W in San Francisco and they did a hair follicle test which came back positive for marijuana. The hair strand test goes back 90 days. After reading all that I've read, I am quite positive that it's going to be all bad for me with this job and perhaps any other. I haven't worked a regular job in a long time and a lot has changed. Seems like there is a system in place to keep those who are down, DOWN!
I was denied a job because of my credit a year ago and I just don't understand how I am supposed to get back on track and clean up my mistakes if no one will hire me. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks people

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TexasSBSW in Dallas, Texas

60 months ago

I mean no disrespect at all here, but quit smoking pot if you're tired of being down. Just about anybody who has a college education has spent some amount of time stoned (even if just a day)... But at some point you've gotta decide what's more important- continuing to smoke, or starting your career in a society that doesn't accept it. If the test goes back 90 days, make sure you haven't smoked in 100 days before you submit.

As for the job reference, I'm not sure what to tell you. With MOST employers, it's much better to omit a job you had than fake a job you didn't have. But the best policy is always full honest disclosure. If you were a dancer, disclose it. Exotic dancing isn't illegal, and it's not a dishonest profession at face value. If a potential employer disqualifies you just because of that, you weren't a fit in the first place.

You have to "get back on track and clean up mistakes" BEFORE you're ready to throw yourself into a career-- not the other way around.

With your credit score, they're really looking for bankruptcy, foreclosure, reposession, and white collar crimes like embezzlement. If you have none of those, you have nothing to worry about there. If you've declared bankruptcy but have none of the other stuff, you're not totally out. If you've embezzled money or been found guilty of some kind of fraud, forget it. Foreclosures and repos by themselves also don't automatically disqualify you. I'd say your chances are slimmest if you have a combination of two or more non-criminal marks. The age of your credit problems will also matter. If you JUST got a car reposessed or are about to, they'll be less likely to overlook it than if it happened several years ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TexasSBSW in Dallas, Texas

60 months ago

I mean no disrespect at all here, but quit smoking pot if you're tired of being down. Just about anybody who has a college education has spent some amount of time stoned (even if just a day)... But at some point you've gotta decide what's more important- continuing to smoke, or starting your career in a society that doesn't accept it. If the test goes back 90 days, make sure you haven't smoked in 100 days before you submit.

As for the job reference, I'm not sure what to tell you. With MOST employers, it's much better to omit a job you had than fake a job you didn't have. But the best policy is always full honest disclosure. If you were a dancer, disclose it. Exotic dancing isn't illegal, and it's not a dishonest profession at face value. If a potential employer disqualifies you just because of that, you weren't a fit in the first place.

You have to "get back on track and clean up mistakes" BEFORE you're ready to throw yourself into a career-- not the other way around.

With your credit score, they're really looking for bankruptcy, foreclosure, reposession, and white collar crimes like embezzlement. If you have none of those, you have nothing to worry about there. If you've declared bankruptcy but have none of the other stuff, you're not totally out. If you've embezzled money or been found guilty of some kind of fraud, forget it. Foreclosures and repos by themselves also don't automatically disqualify you. I'd say your chances are slimmest if you have a combination of two or more non-criminal marks. The age of your credit problems will also matter. If you JUST got a car reposessed or are about to, they'll be less likely to overlook it than if it happened several years ago.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Boredryu in Texas

60 months ago

Yes, if you put and spoke to working for a chiropractor for six years and put that on your application they will call to verify you worked there. If the chiropractor vouches for your employment then all is good, but if he doesn't they won't extend you a job offer.

Generally Bank of America does not drug test, but reserves the rights to drug test you at any moment (for most states). Just so you know, the hair follicle test goes back 6 months not 90 days though. Most companies just do a urine test though, the hair test costs too much money.

As for being an exotic dancer, don't put that on your resume, ever. Either tell them you were unemployed or that you worked for your family business. They have no way of verifying either of those statements.

Finally your credit score, unless it specifically says "must pass a credit check" on the job posting, then having bad credit will not hurt your chances. Everyone has been there, including the hiring manager.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Thank you all. I actually went to the group interview yesterday and I think I stood out in my group by how I was dressed alone. I was a bit nervous and got flustered at times but over all I feel pretty good about it. So they are going to send an email on Monday with the verdict. She explained that the next step in the application and I-9 verification. This has me a little worried. I am wondering can they pull up previous payroll information. What exactly is an I-9 verification? My friend is a chiropractor and is going to vouch for me but I am just worried that they're not going to be able to pull record of that job and I will red flag. Idunno...I sort of feel like they won't invite me to participate in the next process but I am just praying because I am ready to do something different with my life. Dancing in the Bay Area is just not worth it anymore. Vegas girls still do pretty good but I a need something more solid. BOA gives their employees full medical and dental for PT and FT as soon as they are hired. Benefits kick in within a month. I think that's fantastic. Thanks again everyone

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Boredryu in Texas

60 months ago

An I-9 is a form you fill out so they can report to the government they've hired you and that you've validated to them your identity (you need a drivers license and social security card to fill out an I-9).

If you're already at the stage where they want you to fill out an I-9 then you pretty much have the job. Bank of America does not start the i-9 or fingerprint process until they know they want to hire you.

Let me give you some advice, companies have no way of knowing who you worked for, how long, and for how much money. If you were a CEO or a company but didn't put it on the application they would never know. It has to do with privacy laws, companies are not going to broadcast that you worked for them. Unless you got a license, or any certification (e.g. notary seal) that the company sponsored. Under those circumstances, the state/county will probably have a record of the transaction and it can raise a red flag.

Also, companies will only validate "title" and "length of employment" they will not communicate what your salary was unless you specifically tell them to. It doesn't matter what paper you signed approving the background check, no company wants to get sued. As long as you didn't put something like "made 100k as receptionist for chiropractors office" they probably won't need to verify. Chances are you'll make the minimum amount the role offers and as you get more experience they'll offer you more money.

If you have anymore questions let me know or shoot me an email, good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

They said that they do and I-9 VERIFICATION

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

COOL...Again thanx to everyone for your input and feedback. It's only Thursday and I won't know what they decide until Monday, so Im like on pens and needles. I really appreciate this forum. We've gotta stick together out here and I have stopped smoking weed. It never was a huge thing for me but unfortunately it sticks around for a long time. I was told that those hair follicle test only go back 90 days because they only test the first inch 1/2 which will go back 90 days but that test can actually detect up to several years of activity depending on how much of the hair they test. Anyways...pray for me guys.

nkindred7459 in chicago, Illinois

59 months ago

MsWright,

How did things go? Did you get the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ebbygirl in arlington, Texas

57 months ago

mswright in oakland, California said: COOL...Again thanx to everyone for your input and feedback. It's only Thursday and I won't know what they decide until Monday, so Im like on pens and needles. I really appreciate this forum. We've gotta stick together out here and I have stopped smoking weed. It never was a huge thing for me but unfortunately it sticks around for a long time. I was told that those hair follicle test only go back 90 days because they only test the first inch 1/2 which will go back 90 days but that test can actually detect up to several years of activity depending on how much of the hair they test. Anyways...pray for me guys.

So did you get the job because I'm going through the same process right now and what about criminal history did you have one

ebbygirl in arlington, Texas

57 months ago

Boredryu in Texas said: Yes, if you put and spoke to working for a chiropractor for six years and put that on your application they will call to verify you worked there. If the chiropractor vouches for your employment then all is good, but if he doesn't they won't extend you a job offer.

Generally Bank of America does not drug test, but reserves the rights to drug test you at any moment (for most states). Just so you know, the hair follicle test goes back 6 months not 90 days though. Most companies just do a urine test though, the hair test costs too much money.

As for being an exotic dancer, don't put that on your resume, ever. Either tell them you were unemployed or that you worked for your family business. They have no way of verifying either of those statements.

Finally your credit score, unless it specifically says "must pass a credit check" on the job posting, then having bad credit will not hurt your chances. Everyone has been there, including the hiring manager.

Good luck.

How do you know for sure that they can only verify jobs that you tell them I know that they do a check with the fbi

57 months ago

Hey...
I do not have a criminal background, but they did not offer me a job. I don't know what it is they are looking for but of the group I felt I was pretty on point. I don't speak spanish and perhaps that was the issue. Those group interviews are really bull ish if you ask me. They told me that I could re apply after six months. SIX MONTHS!!! Bullish!!! For an entry level gig that only pays $12 an hour. They do give you full benefits right away so that really good but screw them. Good luck to you though. It's a good place to start your career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.