if you have bad credit you can't work in the bank?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

cann in San Antonio, Texas

83 months ago

elcasador hernandez in Los Angeles, California said: anyone know if they well find out that you have bad credit they well disqualified you ?

My recruiter told me that they do NOT check credit. Thank God because I made some mistakes back in the day, and luckily, there was no effect from that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (92) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

cestlavie in Hermosa Beach, California

43 months ago

Actually they DO check credit. But the catch is it depends on your state laws, for instance, when I worked in Oregon, it was legal to check your credit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Ilamf in San Francisco, California

35 months ago

What banking institutions are hiring that forgive back credit from other bank institutions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

MysticPizza in Newark, Delaware

35 months ago

I can tell you that not all banks seem to check credit history, or perhaps they check it and decide they will allow it anyway. In 2007 I was hired as a bank teller despite having a bankruptcy in my background from 2001. I was working on repairing my credit at the time so if they checked, maybe they could see that? I don't know.
I'm about to start work as a Fraud Analyst with BofA, but it has now been 12 years since the bankruptcy (passed the 10 year mark that it's supposed to be on one's record) and my credit is ok now. So if your credit shows signs of being repaired maybe even with less than stellar credit you might still be ok even if they check your credit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

NotfromCullman in Cullman, Alabama

35 months ago

Ilamf in San Francisco, California said: What banking institutions are hiring that forgive back credit from other bank institutions?

What?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Thank you for that information. It really helps to know that a lending institution will forgive bad credit and trust enough to hire candidates with such.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ariconner in Charlotte, North Carolina

33 months ago

I worked at Wells Fargo. They do not do credit checks for employment nor drug test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Shell

32 months ago

I had to do a urine test for Wells Fargo in November 2012.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MeandHer in Charlotte, North Carolina

31 months ago

Ari Conner in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I worked at Wells Fargo. They do not do credit checks for employment nor drug test.

What position did you apply for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MeandHer in Charlotte, North Carolina

31 months ago

Ari Conner in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I worked at Wells Fargo. They do not do credit checks for employment nor drug test.

What position did you apply for? and how long ago has it been since you were employed?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

I applied for a teller position. I have a business degree and have managed a business before so would like a position in management or leading. I feel that Leading financial institutions are open to new ideas of reaching out to clients and developing relationships with new customers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

HappyGirl in Clifton Forge, Virginia

23 months ago

cquincat in Irving, Texas said: I was told yesterday at Capital One that they will not hire anyone with low credit score or bad credit. You have to have very good credit to work there - he said it was a new federal regulation that started back in 2009. I asked what reg it was and he did not tell me. He went on to say Wells Fargo let go of 20% of their employees due to that regulation. I have never heard of that...anyone else hear of such reg?

This is not true. I was hired at Cap One back in December and I had a credit score in the low 600s and had a defaulted credit card in collections with them and still got the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jen mi in Westchester, New York

23 months ago

I was told by BofA HR that they don't do credit check.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cquincat in Irving, Texas

23 months ago

HappyGirl in Clifton Forge, Virginia said: This is not true. I was hired at Cap One back in December and I had a credit score in the low 600s and had a defaulted credit card in collections with them and still got the job.

Thanks! I spoke to a recruiter from capital one yesterday and she said that was not correct and the branch manager misinformed me! She apologized and said she will not try to place me in his branch - it sounded like he didn't want me working there!

Thanks for reply!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

laurjwb in Chester, United Kingdom

17 months ago

I have applied for a position in lloyds bank and they have offered me the job on my assesment day however now they are asking to credit check and says that the offer can be declined if needed. My credit score is on Very Poor at a score of 349. I have had phone bills and a store card this is paid of now but still have a default on my credit history. I am starting to think this is going to stop me getting the job can anyone help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

ariconner in Charlotte, North Carolina

16 months ago

MeandHer in Charlotte, North Carolina said: What position did you apply for? and how long ago has it been since you were employed?

I know this is so late. I just saw this. I'm so sorry. I was a Phone Banker in Charlotte NC from 9/12 to 2/13. I also applied for a teller postion last March 2014. They didn't do a background check on me since I was already in the system. They just used the one I had before. No credit check and no drug test either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Areyes

14 months ago

What was the bank or credit union name?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Diamond in Liverpool, United Kingdom

12 months ago

laurjwb in Chester, United Kingdom said: I have applied for a position in lloyds bank and they have offered me the job on my assesment day however now they are asking to credit check and says that the offer can be declined if needed. My credit score is on Very Poor at a score of 349. I have had phone bills and a store card this is paid of now but still have a default on my credit history. I am starting to think this is going to stop me getting the job can anyone help?

Did you faced any problem with the job offer from Lloyds bank? Hope you joined them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Worried Bofa candidate in Moraga, California

8 months ago

I got hired months ago at Bofa but got rescinded for bad credit under loan originator . I had horrible credit and they asked me to explain it all but I had no proof of payoff. I used the hard times excuse, but it didn't work. Since then, most derogatory accounts are removed because over 7 years old.

I got hired again but there are still 3 items that won't be removed for a month or 2 for $624 total. Plus I have recent collection for $3892.

Does anyone know what chargeoff limit they will hire you at? I had over $19,000 when my first offer got rescinded. Now it's less than $5,000.

Another option is settle for less on collection and show proof of payment when they ask me to explain. I just want to know how much bad credit is too much in the banks eyes ?

If a person had only one $400 charge off will they deny a job over that?

Hope my experience is helpful. Please provide input and opinion. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Chincoteague Island, Virginia

6 months ago

MeandHer in Charlotte, North Carolina said: What position did you apply for?

They hire part time tellers credit doesn't matter. I work part time currently for WF

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mrs. Jones in Memphis, Tennessee

3 months ago

Worried Bofa candidate in Moraga, California said: I got hired months ago at Bofa but got rescinded for bad credit under loan originator . I had horrible credit and they asked me to explain it all but I had no proof of payoff. I used the hard times excuse, but it didn't work. Since then, most derogatory accounts are removed because over 7 years old.

I got hired again but there are still 3 items that won't be removed for a month or 2 for $624 total. Plus I have recent collection for $3892.

Does anyone know what chargeoff limit they will hire you at? I had over $19,000 when my first offer got rescinded. Now it's less than $5,000.

Another option is settle for less on collection and show proof of payment when they ask me to explain. I just want to know how much bad credit is too much in the banks eyes ?

If a person had only one $400 charge off will they deny a job over that?

Hope my experience is helpful. Please provide input and opinion. Thanks

Did you get any answers to your concerns? I'be been offered a position at Regions and I don't have anything in collections but I do have two charge offs one is about $800 and the other is $900. One of them is a credit card. Will this affect the offer of employment?

brenda in Avondale, Arizona

3 months ago

I was offered a position in phoenix ARIZONA.... does anyone know if they check for bad credit? And if so... do they still hire you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

brenda in Avondale, Arizona

3 months ago

Jen mi in Westchester, New York said: I was told by BofA HR that they don't do credit check.

Hi jen... I've been reading comments and some say they do and others say they don't, I'm wondering if perhaps it depends on the state or region you live in? I have bad credit so I'm worried my offer might be declined... do u know if BofA doesn't check bad credit at all or just in some states...if so what states?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

K, hartland in Peoria, Arizona

2 months ago

brenda in Avondale, Arizona said: Hi jen... I've been reading comments and some say they do and others say they don't, I'm wondering if perhaps it depends on the state or region you live in? I have bad credit so I'm worried my offer might be declined... do u know if BofA doesn't check bad credit at all or just in some states...if so what states?

What happened with you your employment with BofA. Were you hired

JSti86 in Virginia Beach, Virginia

2 months ago

I applied for a credit union. Got an interview and they loved me. Got a letter in the mail the next week that said due to my credit they weren't going to hire me so I know credit unions check.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mrs.Jones

2 months ago

JSti86 in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I applied for a credit union. Got an interview and they loved me. Got a letter in the mail the next week that said due to my credit they weren't going to hire me so I know credit unions check.

For the position that I have with regions they don't check your credit.

Claire in Kent, Ohio

1 month ago

Hey guys! I am 23 years old and I just accepted a job at Huntington Bank as a bank teller. I'm not worried about the background check or the drug test at all, that's not an issue for me. The only thing that worries me is my credit score. It is about a 670 which I know is not terrible but its not great, and I have a decent amount of credit card debt. However, none of those credit cards have gone into collections, I make the payments on time, and I don't have any derogatory scores on my credit score. Do you think that will be okay for employment? I was kind of dumb when I was younger, and I am working to pay off that debt, but do you think that will be an issue for them? Let me know what you guys think?

Mrs.Jones in Memphis, Tennessee

1 month ago

I think you will be fine. I had a couple accounts to charge off and I work for Regions but they didn't run a credit check even though it said they may. What's the position for if you don't mind me asking ?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.