Is Bankers Life and Casualty a Scam?

Comments (47)

An objective party in Tacoma, Washington

29 months ago

I don’t work for Bankers. In fact, until earlier this week I had never even heard of them. They contacted me based on my resume that I posted on Monster. I know for myself that unless I believe in a product I couldn’t in good faith sell it. I have done some research on Bankers and they do not score well on BBB, but they are not the only company out there that does not. I will continue to research and judge based on that.
I don’t know why, but I feel compelled to clear something up for anyone else who may happen upon this site. I see a lot of people on here claiming this to be a scam, a pyramid scheme, etc. etc.
Let’s first examine what a pyramid scheme is as described by people here. It seems we all agree that a pyramid scheme is where one person has several people below them doing a lot of work and earning them money while the people at the bottom make significantly less. Now let’s say you work for Burger King-you are the guy who drops the stuff into the fryer. You probably don’t make a lot of money, but the manager makes a little more. The owner makes more than all of you and your co-workers while you do much of the work. The CEO of the Burger King corporate office makes even more than the local branch owner. If you are to call a pyramid scheme a scam, then really almost any employee/ employer relationship is a pyramid scheme.
A scam, on the other hand would mean that a company makes money without providing a product or paying their employees. If a scam were defined by a company providing a crappy product-well Walmart would be called a scam.
Commission only sales jobs are not pyramid schemes or scams. They aren’t always the cleanest way to do business, but when a company doesn’t spend a lot in overheads (like having hourly employees or a lot of advertising) they can reward their top-performers as it sounds like Bankers does. If you want to get technical, any self-employed person works a commission only job

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

29 months ago

I've received innumerable spam from Bankers. I am in no way qualified to sell anything. Yet the spam always says I meet the profile for insurance sales. Come on. I know better. Although I know it's boilerplate e-mail it's obvious a human did not read my résumé. It's clearly a spam blast.

The fact that Bankers scores poorly with the BBB should be enough to deter anyone.

Finally, with all due respect, what compelled you to post about Bankers altogether? Again, with all due respect, IMO your defense of a company in which you're not sure if you're even interested comes off as disingenuous. Your CEO analogy to MLM is bogus.

HollieNichole in Vincennes, Indiana

27 months ago

STOP! Do not mess with this company. I just got done going through this with my husband. He put his resume on Career builder and he was looking for a job. We barely make ends meet with the little bit of income we get. They said he had to pay for his training and for the gas money to get to their office for meetings which is over 60 miles away. He sunk 600 dollars into a promised job, which was everything we had, and got nothing in return but a phone call today from the branch manager wanting more money to cover something else as well as him threatening me. Do NOT Mess with these people! Just skip over their interviews and move on to an actual job not a scam. Its all commission which means they pay what they feel like you deserve based on how much you beg elderly people for their money. The whole place even looked at fake as they come. Just stop! Dont go to anymore of their interviews and dont mess with these people any further. My husband told the guy we have no more money to invest in this "Job" as we have 3 kids and have no more spare money. The branch manager threatened my husband saying that he was going to corporate and my husband can kiss the job good bye. I dont think there was a job to begin with just a money hungry scam artist, who by the way kept asking us to make checks payable to him and bring in cash to him to pay for these classes which they tell you is 105 dollars but I did research is really like 75.00 dollars. Just dont bother and move on.

HollieNichole in Vincennes, Indiana

27 months ago

And it is a pyramid scheme. The guy at the top makes an hourly rate while you beg for sales just to get commission. The guy at the top is considered a regular employee while you are not considered an employee by the company at all, just an independent contractor.

Awake in Corvallis, Oregon

27 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: I've received innumerable spam from Bankers. I am in no way qualified to sell anything. Yet the spam always says I meet the profile for insurance sales. Come on. I know better. Although I know it's boilerplate e-mail it's obvious a human did not read my résumé. It's clearly a spam blast.

The fact that Bankers scores poorly with the BBB should be enough to deter anyone.

Finally, with all due respect, what compelled you to post about Bankers altogether? Again, with all due respect, IMO your defense of a company in which you're not sure if you're even interested comes off as disingenuous. Your CEO analogy to MLM is bogus.

First of all commission only jobs are in no linked to pyramid schemes. Of all the professions in the United States, that of sales person is the largest. Secondly, through a series of diverse investments did Bankers get tied into some poor consequences of the mortgage fiasco; but it was their insurance practices that pulled them out of it. They have been in business over 130 and are remarkable in Senior services.

With regard to recruiting and hiring practices? What makes a sales person is the desire to accomplish. All company recruiters will look for certain earmarks in order to not only find already good sales people, but also to train people who had not previously thought of selling. And in this economy thousands of people are considering sales jobs, because they cannot find openings in their desired careers.

If you actually do you homework, rather than looking at the comments of disgruntled, unemployed people who are too insecure to sell in the first place,you would find that while the mortgage fiasco affected Bankers' ratings, they are not only improving, but going up steadily. You would find that their training in in the top in any corporation in the country. And you would find that their commitment to Seniors is solid, such as their commitment to Alzheimer Associations

Awake in Corvallis, Oregon

27 months ago

HollieNichole in Vincennes, Indiana said: STOP! Do not mess with this company. I just got done going through this with my husband. He put his resume on Career builder and he was looking for a job. We barely make ends meet with the little bit of income we get. They said he had to pay for his training and for the gas money to get to their office for meetings which is over 60 miles away. He sunk 600 dollars into a promised job, which was everything we had, and got nothing in return but a phone call today from the branch manager wanting more money to cover something else as well as him threatening me. Do NOT Mess with these people! Just skip over their interviews and move on to an actual job not a scam. Its all commission which means they pay what they feel like you deserve based on how much you beg elderly people for their money. The whole place even looked at fake as they come. Just stop! Dont go to anymore of their interviews and dont mess with these people any further. My husband told the guy we have no more money to invest in this "Job" as we have 3 kids and have no more spare money. The branch manager threatened my husband saying that he was going to corporate and my husband can kiss the job good bye. I dont think there was a job to begin with just a money hungry scam artist , who by the way kept asking us to make checks payable to him and bring in cash to him to pay for these classes which they tell you is 105 dollars but I did research is really like 75.00 dollars. Just dont bother and move on.

First of all commission only jobs are in no way linked to pyramid schemes. Of all the professions in the United States, that of sales person is the largest. Secondly, through a series of diverse investments did Bankers get tied into some poor consequences of the mortgage fiasco; but it was their insurance practices that pulled them out of it. They have been in business over 130 and are remarkable in Senior services.

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

26 months ago

Awake in Corvallis, Oregon said: What makes a sales person is the desire to accomplish. All company recruiters will look for certain earmarks in order to not only find already good sales people, but also to train people who had not previously thought of selling.
Gimme a break! All they want is bodies. Their soft-soap about one possessing the traits of a successful insurance peddler is a load.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but sales is a talent. It's not enough to explain a product's virtues to a client. Sales requires measures of patience, diplomacy, people skills and persistence - especially for insurance sales which requires a client to fork over money for something he/she may never need. Not everyone is cut out for sales - and I get tired of insurance companies who see that I have no sales ability trying convince me that I do.

MissKelly in Great Falls, Virginia

23 months ago

I just updated my resume on Monster and the next day I get an email saying "I have the right mix of skills." Seriously? I have a PhD and have never done anything remotely related to sales or insurance! If that's not a scam, then I don't know what is. This one is right up there with the dozens of "You've been selected for Who's Who (of everyone in the world)" and I've won the Nigerian lottery! I must have the same skills as the homeless guy living under the bridge -- we are both breathing and have an email address (yes, the homeless guy likely has an email address because I see him watching his TV!).

Debra St Louis in Miami, Florida

13 months ago

The one thing I don't do is when someone calls or tell me I have to pay to work, I thought I was going to work to get paid.. Today is April 28, 2014 and I got this call from whom I don't know they didn't identifythemself just said if you want to make such amount of money you need to put $500.00 down or if not interested leave your telephone number and we ill take you off our list and call you no more..
We have to be so careful with so many scams going on out there.. I got taken for over 1,476.00 in March some one text me and told me they wanted to do a messemger interview and when you need a job you don't think some time, even had the work force company I go to to look for jobs so always be on guard when you are asked for money or money to do marketing.. Those crooks don't care about no one but them selves and then right after them a week later some one tried to do the same trick.. I told them show me your self and I never heard from them again.. It is sad but we learn by our mistakes and it is so sad when you trying to make it and what little you have these scammers are taking it away.. If I can't meet yu in person and do an application and not have to put down any moneythat is the way to go.. GIVE NO ONE ANY MONEY THEY MAKE IT SOUND GOOD SO DON'T BE FOOLED , FOOL ME ONCE BUT NOT TWICE..

12 months ago

Smart Girl!! People are sick and now what bother those scammers people are getting used to their actions.. They have been to my resume about 4 times on Career Builder but never called.. I know the God I serve sent them away so I could know this and I am glad this forum is going on.. There is many more out there be ye watchful.

mountainlvr30 in OKC, Oklahoma

10 months ago

Hello to all. I have been doing my research on this company. And I am very glad that I came on here and read all of these comments (and more on another post on here about them)!! Weird thing, I am not the only one that was not even interested in a sales job and posted on Monster. I had one person contact me by email and then a few days later (today) I had another person call me and then email me. I took the call because I thought that it was another company calling me for a interview, and I told her that I had NO experience in sales. But she said that I should come to the interview anyway just to see if I would be interested. So I agreed and she sent me an email seconds later, reminding me of the time and told me the place to meet and- like others on here- it said to bring my resume and dress professionally. OKAY- as if I did not know that already!!! And I am not afraid of work and trying something different, I never thought about working at an insurance place before but my resume and monster account is about office job like answering calls, etc something entry level. And why do I need to give them my resume when they already have it, I know that they do because in the email she said that they were very impressed with my resume!! That is a big red flag right there, I don't have much experience in anything especially not in sales or office work! Now another red flag is I went to the BBB's site and it had a message in red about them this is the link: www.bbb.org/chicago/business-reviews/insurance-life/bankers-life-and-casualty-company-in-chicago-il-4222
I know now that agreeing to the interview was a mistake. I am not okay with paying money to them and being an independent contractor, there are lots of insurance companies that I would be an employee with and get paid hourly and some may even help with costs of getting an license to sell. And I googled companies like State Farm, and there was no scam added to it when I was typing in State.....

mountainlvr30 in OKC, Oklahoma

10 months ago

Cont'd:
And for anyone out there reading this that is needing a job- which why else would you reply on here?! I would say to go for a insurance company that is well known like All State, or State farm, etc, and look on BBB. Cause we can't tell on here if people that are recruiters for Bankers are on here saying wonderful things about the company and making lots of accounts to get people to go to that company. Because they seem desperate, going on Monster and the other job search sites and contacting people that have shown NO interests in sales.
It may be an actual company and it may not be illegal to do what they are doing, but it does not seem that appealing to me.

Bernard23 in Safety Harbor, Florida

10 months ago

Whenever you hear about a job opening that "sound too good to be true," that is usually the case and should not be considered for employment!

I received a phone call from a recruiter at Bankers Life and Casualty stating that they saw my resume on Career Builder and felt that my qualifications matched their requirements.

Upon further checking, I found that the Better Business Bureau (BBB) has a RED ALERT about their offices throughout the USA including their HOME OFFICE!

The alert signals BBB has found their insurance business has been removed from UVEST and FINRA - two major firms for securities and investments.

BBB went on to state that Bankers Life and Casualty misleads senior citizens into thinking they are covered for home care and it only covers $120 per 24 hour care ($5.00/hour) - WOW!

Not my idea of an ideal place to work as an insurance agent - especially when one has to pay for insurance licensing (215 license) using your own car without any reimbursement!

10 months ago

So glad to see cause I had signed up with them but after talking to my Agent from my other life insurance.. I cancelled them this morning.

tigergrowl in East Elmhurst, New York

10 months ago

This is how things work. An insurance recruiter calls you up and when it comes time to discuss the actual position, they start taking 100 miles per hour. They promise a managerial position but you end up with a sales job. They promise you an elevator but you get the shaft. Posted my resume almost two months ago and the insurance companies are still bugging me. Probably got 6 offers in the first two weeks.I'm surprised that metlife hasn't contacted me yet. My biggest prospect right now is a part time merchandiser job for 10 an hour which is better than going hungry trying to hustle people into buying deathsurance. No commission jobs for me. I want guaranteed payments. Did i forget to mention that they usually have incompetent underwriters? Good luck getting your ony from an insurance company.

tigergrowl in East Elmhurst, New York

10 months ago

money not ony

Chadwick M in Greenville, South Carolina

10 months ago

Definitely questionable. Received a call stating that after reviewing my resume, they felt I was a good fit for them. Note they didn't mention any specific position, just at their location. When I mentioned I was in a different location, the recruiter immediately mentioned that I could go to another location for this "interview". I asked point blank "can you tell me more about the position?", only to be brushed off to "come in for an interview to find out more". That's immediately a red flag, so I asked if she could send me a job description. Shortly after I received an email stating "Please see the attached files, this should be every requested document". The attached files were just cherry-picked news articles about Banker's financial growth and other glowing reports. No job description, job requirements, nothing. I have no sales experience and nothing on my Monster (or other job profiles) would lead anyone to believe that I am a sales person.

Debbie in Sarasota, Florida

8 months ago

I wish I had seen this forum before. Pat Donnelly from Sarasota Bankers also called me. They got my resume from Monsters. I scheduled an interview after she told me that I would not have to do sales that is was for an executive position. My entire career has been as an executive or administrative assistant. After just a little research I called and left a message to cancel my interview that I don't want a sales job. She called me the next morning and said that the position was not a sales position is was for an executive position. I asked again will I have to do any sales and she said no. So since I am desperate for a job I drove the 45 minutes to the job only to be interviewed by some guy giving me a very short speech about the company and catering to ppl over 65 and that you need to be honest and blah blah blah with them. Then he says "do you think you can approach ppl and talk to them about buying insurance". I told him NO and that Pat told me several times I wouldn't be selling and that they just wasted 3 hours of my valuable time. I'd say if they can't be honest with potential employees then how honest are they with customers. Stay away from them.

Heads up- in Cleveland, Ohio

8 months ago

You are "hired on" with promises of income, a career path, and even power points showing average incomes of existing agents. You will spend several hundred dollars throughout this process. Shortly after starting you will receive some company training which depending on your location they may pay for a hotel room, but you will share this room with someone else. Scary thing is though they hire anyone - just want a body, so you're 5 day hotel mate could be a real creeper.
The tactics they train you with are questionable at best, highly immoral at worst- see inside edition bankers life expose' for more info. You will be expected to make hundreds of calls on call days to set appointments to meet with seniors at their home. You will meet some good people along this journey, but majority of your appointments will be with extremely poor, uneducated people who are willing to invite a stranger in to their home. You are told you are an independent contractor, but will be treated as an employee in regards to being in the office certain hours, dressed in certain ways, mandatory volunteer work for their chosen charity, and required to work certain weekends. However you will have no workers comp, no opportunity for unemployment benefits, no social security employer contribution and massive tax obligations if you are one of the lucky few who actually make more than 20k in a year. You will be exposed to roach infestations, bed bugs, lice, various contagious illnesses/ diseases, have guns pulled on you, police called on you and be in many uncomfortable positions in peoples' homes. You will spend countless amounts of money on gasoline and wear and tear to your vehicle, often times doing so for no money if you don't make a sale. This often leads to agents being pushy, misinforming, and sometimes doing illegal actions just to try and make an income. But how is this a pyramid scheme??
TBC

Heads up- in Cleveland, Ohio

8 months ago

How this could be seen as a pyramid scheme:
1) you will have several hundred dollars of up front out of pocket expenses
2) they will "hold" $1000 of commissions you earn to cover any cancellations that may occur when you leave. You will receive no interest on this money and if you really think you'll ever see a penny of it back, you're mistaken.
3) you have a person just above you who makes money off of everything you sell for your first 2 years. This persons boss, also in your office gets a piece of that pie as well.
4) these "bosses" are rewarded $$$ each time a new agent reaches certain goals at the beginning if their "career". This being the case, for your first few months there they will go out of their way to get you quality leads and assist in sales. When this honeymoon period is over, and there is less incentive for them to assist- expect the leads to dry up as well as any effort on the part of management. Turnover is huge because of all the perks the bosses get in the beginning, and the constant desire to have fresh meat to use.
5) you will be the person setting most all meetings with customers for veteran agents (who make money off of you as well for your first few months). You will also do all service work even if you have no clue how to, as well as delivering policies on your time and dime.
6) after about a year they will then tell you the meager commissions they pay you will now be 10-20% less (depending on how much the boss likes you) to go towards leads and trips that typically only the management qualifies for.
7) you will be told you will be making your own book of business, but your bosses will poach clients from this book behind your back. How is this possible if you're not an employee?
--Insurance companies like most businesses are for profit, and the higher up the ladder you are, the more you make. It is a pyramid scheme though when certain portions of your commissions go directly to people @ your office

Kres in Bradenton, Florida

8 months ago

Debbie in Sarasota, Florida said: I wish I had seen this forum before. Pat Donnelly from Sarasota Bankers also called me. They got my resume from Monsters. I scheduled an interview after she told me that I would not have to do sales that is was for an executive position. My entire career has been as an executive or administrative assistant . After just a little research I called and left a message to cancel my interview that I don't want a sales job. She called me the next morning and said that the position was not a sales position is was for an executive position. I asked again will I have to do any sales and she said no. So since I am desperate for a job I drove the 45 minutes to the job only to be interviewed by some guy giving me a very short speech about the company and catering to ppl over 65 and that you need to be honest and blah blah blah with them. Then he says "do you think you can approach ppl and talk to them about buying insurance ". I told him NO and that Pat told me several times I wouldn't be selling and that they just wasted 3 hours of my valuable time. I'd say if they can't be honest with potential employees then how honest are they with customers. Stay away from them.

I got a call from the same Pat Donnelly stating the same thing, its a fast track towards management and there will be no sales involved. when i asked her specific questions, she only gave vague answers. The one thing that scared me was she said based on my resume i would be a good fit for the position and then she asked me what i have been doing for work, wouldn't it be on my resume? definetly a stay away and this confirmed my speciousness and i wont be going to the interview.

Nikki in Atlanta, Georgia

8 months ago

Yes stay away it's a scam I never in life out of all interviews have a person basically beg you to come to an interview if a employer call you and you can't make the first scheduled interview then they'll usually move on to the next candidate well not this company I had a lady call me and ask if I can make the interviewI told her no and she repeatedly kept asking when will be a good time I kept saying im not interested in sells she still kept trying to convince me of how good this job is I tried explaining to her I'm looking for nursing position job she kept trying to convince me that this pays more well um I don't think so she didn't even know what my salary was with the nursing...a scam a scam a scam stay away there's plenty of jobs out there my advice everyone on here don't give up keep looking i know some of us are desperate and really in need of a job don't give up believe in God have faith and everything will fall in place i believed and now 2 wks latter 9/18/14 I have not one but 2 nursing jobs..God Bless You ALL

Peter in Tucson, Arizona

8 months ago

HollieNichole in Vincennes, Indiana said: And it is a pyramid scheme.

This is standard in commission-only sales.

A pyramid scheme or Ponzi scheme (after Charles Ponzi who mastered it in the 20's) is getting people to pay money for something that doesn't exist. The scammer then uses the money from recent "investors" to pay something to earlier "investors." Nothing of value is being sold at all.

The pyramid collapses when the scammer running it can find no more buyers. Then no one gets paid and the scheme is over. The money invested is in the scammer's suitcase on the way to Rio.

CNA in Torrington, Connecticut

7 months ago

I have been reading the post and I just got a call today from a Company called Bankers Life- Multi, I'm assuming this is the same company. I was going to call them tomorrow but now after reading all these post I'm not so sure I want to one person stated she went through with it and it only cost her $399 if I had that kind of money I wouldn't need a job RIGHT. I don't know I've got some serious thinking to do tonight

7 months ago

Well Sis u did the right thing not to sign with them.. I had signed with them for whole life cause as you get older Term Insurance cost more. I already had Whole life with a company I have been with for years so I called him and he told me a lot of things that was not good in that policy also I would have been spending more for my 10,000 policy I pay 106.00 for every 3 months I used to have it taken out my account but after we got laid of my old job I had to make some new choice so I pay them quarterly

GangstaBot3000 in Brea, California

6 months ago

Just got a call from these people. Same deal as others have mentioned, said the call would be recorded, a manager saw my resume, thought I was qualified for a position and they wanted to see if I could come by for an interview tomorrow. She rattled off some info about the company and asked if I had management or sales experience, which I do not. I told her there must be some mistake, as I am a recent graduate of pharmacy technician school, and that is the field I am looking for employment in, certainly a far cry from banking & insurance sales. She said okay and that she would pass the info along to the manager. Sounded fishy to me, glad I saw this forum and confirmed my suspicions.

Dawn88 in Pleasanton, California

6 months ago

Every time I update a resume on CareerBuilder or Monster, I get "offers" for jobs at several insurance agencies, and I tell them up front, "I do not do sales, insurance or anything connected with it." The person keeps talking, and I stop them several times, to repeat this, and they ignore me.

They describe "an agent that can go into management." I already have 20 years of management, and "agent" means "sales agent." I again tell them "I do not do sales." The last one so pushy I have to treat like a telemarketer and say, "Sorry not interested" and HANG UP. They are wasting my cell phone minutes with this BS.

The worst are Bankers Life and State Farm. They send emails about "you;d be a great agency manager" if you want to BUY a franchise!! They find out you own a house and want you to pony up $100,000 to buy an insurance agency? FORGET IT.

Jen in Georgetown, Kentucky

6 months ago

Angela in Chicago, Illinois said: So strange... I just got a call from a recruiter over there inviting me to an interview without telling me a single thing about the company or asking ANY questions about me or what I'm looking for.

I asked what kind of position they're hiring for, politely explaining that I sent out a few resumes to a few different jobs and would like a reminder. She said "it's an outside sales position that's also a management training position". NOOOOPE!

I've sold cars for a little while between administrative jobs and done very well, so I'm not afraid to sell, but I draw a line at knocking on old people's doors uninvited and trying to swindle them, sorry.

I politely stated "I'm sorry, there must have been a mistake, I'm definitely not looking for a sales position right now."

I thought that might have been it, but she quickly retorted "ma'am, we're not asking you to make a final decision right now, we're inviting you to learn-"

I had to interrupt this time. "I'm sorry, no thank you, I've already made my decision."

"But ma'am we can offer-"

And that's when I hung up afraid. Wow. Hounding people who aren't even interested in the job! That kind of desperation for employees is unheard of.

The recruiters who make the phone calls asking people to come in for interviews are paid for each person who arrives. I guess she was desperate. :)

Candice in Federal Way, Washington

6 months ago

Thank goodness for this forum. I too got an email and a phone call from Bankers this morning! The agent I spoke with was even nice enough to set me up an interview for Thursday and even tell me about another company that is hiring that would be perfect for me and set up an interview for me this evening, he said she worked for a wellness company.

Well that was big fat load of BS!! First the job interview I had this afternoon was a scam..it was for Melaleuca. I guess the guy thought that seeings how I am from Australia I should sell tea tree oil, funny!

I was so mad that I spend 1 hour on the phone with this woman this afternoon(from Melaleuca). I don't have time for this BS, I was looking for a REAL job. I am so thankful that I Google searched Bankers Life scam.
The agent from Bankers Life literally preyed on my family. I told him my availability hours were a problem because I have a son with special needs and my husbands hours are not very flexible,he claimed he had a son with special needs too so he understood. Well mate, you're a W****R

Debra St. Louis in Miami, Florida

6 months ago

I am also thankful for this forum I got a call from Bankers on 11/17/2014 by the time they said they name I told them no thank you I will not work for you and they hung up immediately

Kellie in Vancouver, Washington

6 months ago

I just received a call from their appointment setter, who I could barely understand, to come in for a recruitment meeting tomorrow morning. I wasn't sure who was calling or what the call was about and the lady calling seemed irritated to be interrupted to explain who she represented, what was I being asked to do and how/where they had gotten my information.
The call was difficult enough to prompt me to research the company recruitment practices.
I'm no sales person, not the kind that would be successful selling insurance!
I've been mostly unemployed for the past 14 months...this is a waste of my limited funds.
I'd rather go back to bartending.

Sellingman7 in Parsippany, New Jersey

5 months ago

I worked for Bankers and was successful. Now I work at a more reputable company and am more successful. In my opinion, Bankers was a "Mickey Mouse" operation designed to get people in the door so they can write friends and family policies and then leave. An "interview" at Bankers is just a sales pitch to get you to work there as they will literally hire anyone. That all being said, I still think their training is unmatched in the industry. So if you're looking to break into sales. Go there for 3 months, learn, then go somewhere else. Just don't write your friends and family policies.

Caryl in Vine Grove, Kentucky

4 months ago

I got a call too , and was told to go 60 miles for a meeting of some sort I picked up right away that this does not sound right I told them NO ...why are these kinds of companies responding to our resume's a job seeker is seeking to earn not pay out wow !!!

Maiv in Roseville, California

4 months ago

Received a voicemail from a lady who stated that she got my resume (only site I posted my resume was on Monster - which btw, is full of spam). I goggled the phone number and it listed Allied Insurance and Bankers Insurance, however, the location it was giving me was in an area that I was somewhat familiar with (old, ghetto and industrial-like) which made me question the authenticity of the caller. I had difficulty getting her name due to her strong accent.
I had thought that it was a scam but decided to call back without leaving a message. She immediately called me back. She proceeded to tell me more about Bankers, and then says... "..This call is being recorded..." That's a red flag. Aside from her accent, her speaking was unnatural as if she's reading from a script. She proceeded to tell me that they have numerous positions in management and sales, and wanted me to come in for sit down meeting. I asked her to give me more info on the positions, and she replied back with "Like I said,...." and repeats what she originally stated. To me, it reminded myself of those "offshore call centers in India".
She wanted me to meet the following day in the morning which I declined. She suggested for the following week, which I then said that I am not interested if they can't offer a specific position fit for me. That was it.

Please do not waste your time on this. I should have listened to my first instinct.

vickimay33 in Macon, Georgia

4 months ago

I have worked for Bankers for 7 months and I love it!!! It is the type of job that you have to work hard but the rewards are amazing. i have met so many amazing people as clients and coworkers. The company provides so much training that it helps you perform your job correctly. Yes, you have to pay to get started like getting your temp license and the licensing exam and so on, but the rewards are awesome. highest commission for me so far has been $3500 off of one policy. I recommend this company highly.

raeven37 in Las Vegas, Nevada

4 months ago

Thank you so much everyone! I was able to avoid a meaningless interview for something I'd just walk out of the meeting once they said I'd need to pay a fee. you guys saved me time thank you!!!!

Binta in Las Vegas, Nevada

3 months ago

Debra St Louis in Miami, Florida said: The one thing I don't do is when someone calls or tell me I have to pay to work, I thought I was going to work to get paid.. Today is April 28, 2014 and I got this call from whom I don't know they didn't identifythemself just said if you want to make such amount of money you need to put $500.00 down or if not interested leave your telephone number and we ill take you off our list and call you no more..
We have to be so careful with so many scams going on out there.. I got taken for over 1,476.00 in March some one text me and told me they wanted to do a messemger interview and when you need a job you don't think some time, even had the work force company I go to to look for jobs so always be on guard when you are asked for money or money to do marketing.. Those crooks don't care about no one but them selves and then right after them a week later some one tried to do the same trick.. I told them show me your self and I never heard from them again.. It is sad but we learn by our mistakes and it is so sad when you trying to make it and what little you have these scammers are taking it away.. If I can't meet yu in person and do an application and not have to put down any moneythat is the way to go.. GIVE NO ONE ANY MONEY THEY MAKE IT SOUND GOOD SO DON'T BE FOOLED , FOOL ME ONCE BUT NOT TWICE..

Now somebody tell me in what way are these Bankers life and Casualty guys better than the Nigeria 419 fraudsters, that Americans are always quick to condemn? I do watch American greed documentary and I am always overwhelmed by the magnitude of fraudulent activities by Americans that world out there don't know Americans engage in, with "all the holier than thou" attitude projected to the outside world!

Binta in Las Vegas, Nevada

3 months ago

Thank you guys, I have an appointment for Feb 2, 2015 with Bankers life and I have made up my mind not to attend! There is no smoke without fire! I mean, would almost everyone by bearing false witnesses against them? Lord have mercy on innocent unsuspecting individuals desperate for jobs!

Gregg 3 Gs in Waterbury, Connecticut

3 months ago

They contacted me to schedule an "interview." I agreed to a date and time. However, after I learned what this wretched company is all about, I emailed back the girl who contacted me, in very firm terms, that she should not expect me at the phony interview, and some reasons why. She completely disregarded this email. When I did not show up for the "interview" (which in reality is not a personal interview, but is a mass group enticement to get you to work for the company), despite my frank initial email deriding their company, I got a follow-up email saying they were sorry they missed me and urging me to reschedule. Their company is a scam: the rate of complaints by policyholders is astronomical as compared to other companies in the same industry. They apparently want you to personally bear expenses to train and pursue leads in selling their insurance products; no doubt the psychology behind this is once they get you to fork over the money, you feel the need to recover your investment, which you can only do by selling their insurance policies. I don't like companies like this. As a bonus, they plastered their name on a major concert/sports venue, which further alienates me.

Joel in Gainesville, Florida

3 months ago

I got a call twice this month...I basically said, "I moved, Thank You"..hung up..I'll do it again, if they call me...

3 months ago

I got a call form them on 1/30/2015.. Saying they saw my resume and was interested in me for a job, I just said kindly I am not interested and I have heard a lot about your company, she said thank you and hung up..

I gues she figured people are catching on to them.

Thanks INDEED.com for this forum or many people wpuld accept their jobs not knowing what is going on..

#Bummed in Valrico, Florida

3 months ago

I just want to share my experience. I have a background in the medical field. Clinical work for over 6 years. After being unemployed for some time I decided to update my resume and submit it on careerbuilder. Remind you I did the exact same thing when I landed my last job where I was at for 5 years. Anyway, next day after posting it i received a call from Bankers Life, a woman named Alice that left a voicemail saying they found my resume online and would like to interview me. I thought great.. And I set up the interview. She told me the name of the company and said they were looking for a sales agent and a sales manager. I asked what all is involved as a sales manager? She replied that i would over see all agents and trainees. Well since I do have supervisor experience i went with it. After hanging up she sent me a email with the company name and address and of coarse it was across town. But people do drive long distance for work all the time so I let that go. I was expecting a one on one interview but no I was in a meeting room with 20 people yes 20 I counted. And since I have been to things like this before I wasnt to shocked. The branch manager came in was all cool and talked fast. He was a joker. Which I dont mind humor. During the presentation one person got up and left. Didn't bother me. I listened took notes as he went into the history of the company. He explained how it had a bad rep but now is so good and blah blah. I saw awards all around so I didn't think to much into it. So then I filled out some lame questionnaire and then left. Had to rent a car for this btw. Not even 15 later I got a call for the second interview. I excepted. Went back very next day and there was now 8 people and not the same i was with prior. Then the details came about the position and all the training and licensing. I know all about being certified so that didn't bother me. I understand you need training. How can you be a expert and plan someone's financial future and not have it.

#Bummed in Valrico, Florida

3 months ago

... But what ended up making the decision for me after the third interview was when I researched them on my own further. The horrid complaints not only by employees but clients. The number of lawsuits and their rating with the BBB. I am willing to invest in myself and my future but not with a company that gives you false hope. The public made the decision for me. They company sounded great for ME but the risk is too high for myself and family. I only wish I would have previewed the reviews before the interview even started. Would have saved me time, money and hope. So you make the choice. Scam? Who knows not gonna risk it to find out. Be smart.

V. Arrington in Mount Airy, North Carolina

2 months ago

Yes i believe these people are a SCAM - the company that I applied for, I called directly and they said that they didnt use third party callers. DO NOT USE Bankers Life and Casualty for jobs. In fact the name Bankers Life and Casualty is an insurance business NOT an employment agency. (03.05.2015)

joeo in Exeter, New Hampshire

1 month ago

\Lets get some perspective here. I have no college degree and have been in sales for 30 years. Anyone, and I mean anyone, with determination and motivation can sell and make money. When I started there were much easier ways to make $60,000 a year. Not any more. You can rack up a zilion dollars in college loan debt and end up making minimum wage in this economy. Look through the other end of the telescope when considering entry level sales job. Think of them as internships or free education. Pay your days and work your ass off for a year learning the highest paying profession on the planet. Then move up the food chain. Life insurance companies hire anyone because it is entry level and anyone with a work history that shows a willingness to show up ever day sober at any job is a potenial. What you do when you get there is what matters.

Sales is an awesome career. What other job can make $100K a year at, make your own hours and be independant? Will it be as an entry level sales person? No. Does a medical student who puts up with 80 hour weeks make what a doctor makes? No. If you have fire in your belly and a willingness to pay your dues and work really hard I can tell you categorically that there is no beter job than professional sales. All other professions have gotten worse and worse and the pay has gotten lower and lower. BUT. If you are not willing to suffer, to get out of your comfort zone, to listen and follow directions, don't waste your time. Sales is for the top 1% regardless of race, color, creed or sex who are willing to pull out the stops and do what it takes to succeed. If that is you go for it. It will be the hardest, most rewarding thing you will ever do.

Mila in Brooklyn, New York

19 days ago

Thank everybody for your comments. Today I got call from Bankers Life,they appoint day and time for interview,and now I know what I will do...I am not going to see those people. Now I am thinking...do I need to call them I am not coming or just not to come):

HB in Bradenton, Florida

18 days ago

Kres in Bradenton, Florida said: I got a call from the same Pat Donnelly stating the same thing, its a fast track towards management and there will be no sales involved. when i asked her specific questions, she only gave vague answers. The one thing that scared me was she said based on my resume i would be a good fit for the position and then she asked me what i have been doing for work, wouldn't it be on my resume? definetly a stay away and this confirmed my speciousness and i wont be going to the interview.

I got the same call last week! Having sent so many resumes out, thought this was one of them. After the interview, Pat took me back to her office and gave me a piece of paper listing all of the money I would have to shell out THAT day so they get me on board before Monday meeting. I politely explained to her that I had been out of work for some time, as well as my husband and I would really have to talk it over before I could commit to anything. She looked at me like I had 3 heads and TOLD me to come back later with my credit or debit card for all the fees. I got a horrible feeling after talking to my husband, and I believe I was correct to! The next day, after being the nice gal, was going to send out a "Thank You" card for the interview - I found this forum.... and SEVERAL others stating to stay away from this company!!!!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.