What's the company culture at Bankers Life and Casualty?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 116)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Bankers Life and Casualty?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

What is a typical day in the life of an employee at Bankers Life and Casualty?

Reply - Report abuse

A in Voorhees, New Jersey

87 months ago

This job is a scam! You have to pay like $300 for their "training" to do stupid door to door sales crap...to OLD PEOPLE who couldn't care less about what you're trying to sell them. They don't reimburse you for any of your driving either. Don't be fooled!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (364) / No (80) Reply - Report abuse

Josh 1 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

76 months ago

I worked for Bankers and I have a degree. This company makes all of its employees out to be these professionals when all they have done is simply passed a very simple licensing exam for health and life insurance. They than ask you to phone random senior citizens in an attempt to force your way into their home and sell them insurance products that they do not need. Believe me, if there was a happy hour event, you would not want to go with these con artists. They are all people who are unwanted in the real business world, so they put suits on and say they are professionals and they are nothing but glorified AVON ladies. It will cost you more money than you will make and they will use their expensive clothing and automobiles to persuade you, don't let them, they are uneducated, and all of these fancy materials are not payed for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (321) / No (96) Reply - Report abuse

Turtle_Rancher

74 months ago

I was curious where you went to work after leaving bankers, I'm searching for some place different.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

Eric Nelson in Rochester, New Hampshire

51 months ago

lj in Houston, Texas said: Glad I found this. I replied to an ad from Bankers on CareerBuilder and got a call to attend a "pre-interview". Funny thing is, I screen calls from unknown area codes, and I only took the call because I was driving at the time. As I'm doing research,posts like these and some on other sites I found when I googled Bankers are not encouraging. I don't want to pay for my own training. Think I'll skip this "pre-interview".

I've been to 3 "interviews" now. I haven't been asked for any money from Bankers, paid the $80 for the study materials, but these are available to anyone who wants to take the Producer exam. The Googles are not encouraging I'll admit, but I haven't run into anything like that yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (119) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

JOBHUNTER in Davis, California

42 months ago

It's really a scam to get you to work for FREE as a telemarketer for 2 or three days a week!! That's right, no pay telemarketing, only the promise of a commission IF you make a sale!! just a way to get telemarketers doing the work for FREE and they collect a few hundred bucks every time they "accept" you. I don't know if they actually pay anyone any commission. I think half of what they tell you is a lie. They keep you away from the office and herd everyone into a different room downstairs so nobody can see it's just a telemarketing operation and they never tell you that. They slipped when they said 200 calls get maybe 4 appointment. They require you get 15 appointments per week. Theres the 800 call YOU have to make!!!
I suppose they could fire you after a few sales and good luck trying to collect.
Posted on CareerBuilder via the Sacramento bee jobs ads. Got the "interview" email. Went the first day and went on and on about how rich I was going to be. Went the second day. Then it was apparent that the job is nothing but a glorified telemarketing job. They said after you make 200 phone calls from their telemarketing room, you might get 4 appointments to try to sell the product. They bragged about making 200,000 + per year plus 30,000 in bonuses. You make calls on Monday and Wed and go to appointments Tues and Thurs.
Do the math:
to make 200,000 you would need 7 appointments per day 7 days a week if 50% signed up, then yes, you would get $500 comm on each sale. They do not say what the percent of signing clients is. If you get only 2% interviews, then you have to make at least 800 calls 3 days a week. That is NOT possible. Somebody is LYING. Then they charge you $100

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (143) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

Connie Young in Grapevine, Texas

41 months ago

I looked the company up on line before I wasted my time and gas. This is a scam. NO employer will text you about your appointment to come in for the interview. Beware of the dishonest people out there. Do your research first. I'm glad I did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (128) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff Sonders in Davis, California

41 months ago

It's not a scam, it's a RIPP_OFF. They are looking for people to do free telemarketing for two days a week making 300 to 400 cold calls PER DAY. Then if you get appointments, you split the commission with your "trainer", who has done nothing to get the leads. If you do the math, you would need 7 appointments a day 7 days a week with at least 4 signings every day to make anywhere near what they say you "could" make. You spend the money for gas, they take $1000 from you first checks in case someone cancels an order, charge you $200 for online training, which costs them nothing and YOU have to get and pay for the state license too. It's not a scam but it is a big RIPP_OFF!! Another "company" ripping off the unemployed with wild promises of riches you will NEVER see.

I have also read many times that they don't pay out cliams either, so they are DISHONEST to boot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (98) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Skeptical in Seattle, Washington

39 months ago

Really, I mean c'mon when I get a call back on a resume and they leave a message and I don't return the call and they call back again to try and get me to a "informational session" I'm not buyin it. She was very hard to understand, I couldn't even get the name of the business until she sent me an email with the details. And she "reminded me to bring my resume and dress professionally" really?!?! No thanks. Really funny that there are so many other poeople who had the same expereience, either they need to get a new recruiter or they need to stop head hunting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (100) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

photonut113 in Fort Myers, Florida

38 months ago

I've been working at Bankers in Fort Myers for 3 years now and making more than Drs and Lawyers do. Is the job easy? Absolutely not, it is a lot of work. But, it's a lot of work to be successful in anything you do. The first year to year and a half is probably the hardest because you have to build a client base. In Fort Myers, we were taught to treat everyone we talk on the phone with and vist with as if they were our Mother's and Father's. It's funny that the only people that are on this forum are the people that either never tried it, or failed. The successful ones, with the exception of me at this point because I'm fed up with seeing all the negativity posted, don't have the time to respond to the crap posted because we're busy making money, going on trips paid for by the company and enjoying life thanks to the money we're making in poor economic times because of the training and support we get from management and the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (309) / No (168) Reply - Report abuse

Wyzkoski1@gmail.com in Middleburg, Florida

35 months ago

Doing my research,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

avela in Chicago, Illinois

35 months ago

First sensible post I have read. Sales is absolutely hard work. Cold calling is a high rejection proposition. If sales were easy, everyone would be doing it. Commission only means to get paid what you earn, not go to work for 8 hours, do the minimum you have to, complain about your job and your company then go home. That being said, there are a lot of shady insurance companies. I haven't made up my mind about Bankers yet. I am going through the interview process so we'll see.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (90) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

How would you suggest making sales?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Josh 1 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina said: I worked for Bankers and I have a degree. This company makes all of its employees out to be these professionals when all they have done is simply passed a very simple licensing exam for health and life insurance. They than ask you to phone random senior citizens in an attempt to force your way into their home and sell them insurance products that they do not need. Believe me, if there was a happy hour event, you would not want to go with these con artists. They are all people who are unwanted in the real business world, so they put suits on and say they are professionals and they are nothing but glorified AVON ladies. It will cost you more money than you will make and they will use their expensive clothing and automobiles to persuade you, don't let them, they are uneducated, and all of these fancy materials are not payed for.

Why did you leave?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Amy Kaye in Holly, Michigan

35 months ago

I Thank everyone one on this site. After getting a shady phone call from a woman that couldn't even speak clearly I said I would go to the interview. I did some research on the company and they are in the BBB for a ton of complaints. It's pretty funny they tell you on the phone to "dress professional", REALLY? There the farthest thing from professional. This is a terrible way to do business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

eternalmusician in Chicago, Illinois

35 months ago

Amy Kaye in Holly, Michigan said: I Thank everyone one on this site. After getting a shady phone call from a woman that couldn't even speak clearly I said I would go to the interview. I did some research on the company and they are in the BBB for a ton of complaints. It's pretty funny they tell you on the phone to "dress professional", REALLY? There the farthest thing from professional. This is a terrible way to do business.

When you researched on the BBB site did you look up the office in your location? I was just wondering because I found mixed reviews on BBB and I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth going to the interview. I'm amazed at how many similarities there are among the comments. I, too, was phoned by someone who spoke broken English and told me to dress professionally.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

moritori in Ormond Beach, Florida

35 months ago

Is

photonut113 in Fort Myers, Florida said: I've been working at Bankers in Fort Myers for 3 years now and making more than Drs and Lawyers do. Is the job easy? Absolutely not, it is a lot of work. But, it's a lot of work to be successful in anything you do. The first year to year and a half is probably the hardest because you have to build a client base. In Fort Myers, we were taught to treat everyone we talk on the phone with and vist with as if they were our Mother's and Father's. It's funny that the only people that are on this forum are the people that either never tried it, or failed. The successful ones, with the exception of me at this point because I'm fed up with seeing all the negativity posted, don't have the time to respond to the crap posted because we're busy making money, going on trips paid for by the company and enjoying life thanks to the money we're making in poor economic times because of the training and support we get from management and the company.

Is it true that you call retirees and ask if they have received the informtion you have sent them regarding changes in government benefits (all the while knowing that nothing was actually mailed by Bankers Life) and then ask if you may schedule an appointment when told that the information you know was never mailed was indeed never received?
Dishonesty....best sales tactic ever!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Carrie in Henderson, Nevada

34 months ago

Connie Young in Grapevine, Texas said: I looked the company up on line before I wasted my time and gas. This is a scam. NO employer will text you about your appointment to come in for the interview. Beware of the dishonest people out there. Do your research first. I'm glad I did.

I just got a call from Bankers Life and Casualty Company here in Las Vegas, Nevada. The lady must have found my resume on CareerBuilders, Indeed.com or EmploymentGuide.com. Whereever she found it, she was very vage about the job duties that I had asked her. All she told me was come in tommorrow at 11:30 am September 06, 2011. Then I typed in the company name they were asking for sales people on Indeed.com. I am not a sales person and I am not interested in doing that line of work. I am thankful that I read everyone's comment about Bankers Life and Casualty Company scam. Thank you very much. PS There were additional articles on the Internet about Bankers Life and Casuality Scam right there is another red flag.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Milton, Florida

34 months ago

Bankers Life and Casualty is full of "Managers" that will tell any new hire what they want to hear to get them contracted because the Company puts ridiculous numbers on each office for new hires.
I have never seen a company that only rewards Management for having 1st and 2nd year agents and punishes you for having a 10 year agent who you make zero over ride on.
So they churn through agents like a bad habit.
Lets be realistic for a minute. All you have to do is look at the 4 major rating agencies. There are 3-4 Companies who have attained the highest ratings from all 4. And those are all Mutual Companies.
Bankers Life has been a D rated Company since the Conseco Chapter 11 mess.
If you want a long term career with a Company that has been around for 165 years and has a true professional culture, save yourself alot of time and go to New York Life.
The managers are paid by the company instead of making new agents give up half of their commission to pay their bills. And their training program NYLIC University is recognized to be the best in the Industry. And when you talk to your potential clients you dont have to spend 30 minutes defending yourself and your company of its bad reputation. You walk in with Brand Name recognition already and AAA ratings across the board.

Just my 2 cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (79) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Alynlew in Los Angeles, California

31 months ago

Thank you for saving me. I was preparing for an interview with Banker's today and wanted to do a little more research about the company beforehand. I should have known from the first phone message when "Mike" didn't even leave the name of the company that there was something off. If you are going to a job interview, the interviewers will not chase you down and remind you of your "interview" by phone and text; they WILL tell you the name of the company before you ask, and they will not tell you to dress professionally for an interview as though you are an infant. If they had been honest with me about the job, I might have shown up for the presentation. Just say, "It's a sales job with no benefits." Then I can decide if I need to waste my time or not. Companies with this sort of dishonest reputation should not be allowed access to my information. I'm removing my resume from Careerbuilder and Indeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

J in San Antonio, Texas

30 months ago

I was confused when I got the call. I have a law enforcement background and didn't see how I was qualified for the position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

bbafroilan in Waldorf, Maryland

30 months ago

It is unfortunate that people - as those above me - terribly nurse bad feelings about Bankers. I have an entirely different and distinctive experience. This morning's one-hour orientation by Mr. Farrouk Anwar of the company's Waldorf, MD branch was impressive and truthful. When somebody tells a lie, you feel heavy. Anwar made me feel very light. That means, he told us the truth and nothing but the truth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (121) Reply - Report abuse

russocfs@aol.com in Passaic, New Jersey

30 months ago

Host said: Every business has it's own style. What is the office environment and culture like at Bankers Life and Casualty?

Are people dressed in business casual, jeans and t-shirts, or full-on suits? Do folks get together for Friday happy hours and friendly get-togethers?

I was part of the cattle call Bankers conducted in early December. We were told there was absolutley no cold calling, no saturdays nor very little evenings. After finishing their traing classes and passing the license exam your day consists of calling list of names that have been recycled and in essense people who never responded to a Bankers mailing-pure cold calling. You sit at your cubicle dialing all day with most dials being voice mails or non answers. If you are lucky enough to get an appointment from these leads don't expect to close too many sales. I would hope they change their business model and be a little more honest in describing what a career at Bankers is really like.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

moritori in Ormond Beach, Florida said: Is

Is it true that you call retirees and ask if they have received the informtion you have sent them regarding changes in government benefits (all the while knowing that nothing was actually mailed by Bankers Life) and then ask if you may schedule an appointment when told that the information you know was never mailed was indeed never received?
Dishonesty....best sales tactic ever!

Absolutley-The initial calls a new trainee makes are to people who have no idea who Bankers is and you tell them you have a card they sent in when they actually did not send in a response. Don't waste your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

Eric Nelson in Rochester, New Hampshire said: I've been to 3 "interviews" now. I haven't been asked for any money from Bankers, paid the $80 for the study materials, but these are available to anyone who wants to take the Producer exam. The Googles are not encouraging I'll admit, but I haven't run into anything like that yet.

You will-Trust me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

pmchambers1@aol.com in Nashua, New Hampshire

29 months ago

J in San Antonio, Texas said: I was confused when I got the call. I have a law enforcement background and didn't see how I was qualified for the position.

Same here - I'm a microbiologist. Got a call on my voicemail yesterday, and I'm glad I came across this thread. Job search is tough enough without wasting any time on something like this. Thank you, all, and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

wes373 in Greensboro, North Carolina

29 months ago

Glad I saw this, deff not goin to meet with these goons! Good heads up people!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

josh_fight930 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

29 months ago

I just got a call today from a Brittish lady that I couldn't really understand. I had to wait for the e-mail to get the name of the company... Anyhoo... Do I bother going to the "interview"??

It's funny that I research the company and it comes up with a scam. Thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

MSkelly in Fresno, California

29 months ago

I can't help but laugh at "D" in Brockton's opinion. Totally sounds like a shill. Allow me to talk about how Banker's Life 'works". They troll the career sites and send generic, automated emails to everyone. Then, they round up a bunch of people in a small room and give a presentation, then ask if you'd be interested in a second interview. I declined, and here's why: They told us how much money we could make, yet their facility was an old, beat up office in an average neighborhood. The floors were dirty. The secretary looked like she could care less who walked in. The chairs we sat on didn't match - in other words, if this is such a successful business, where was the money? It certainly wasn't with the people. The assistant to the branch manager looked like he was dressed in a $5 shirt and he didn't know how to tie a tie. His shoes looked like $20 fast food manager shoes. I say this not to be mean, but as a real professional, I can tell when someone ISN'T. It was SO obvious.
Doing more research, I discovered this was basically a churn and burn facility - they "hire" a bunch of people to aggressively sell products and when the people get burned out, the office gets to keep the policies and renewals and you get nothing. Another interesting point - you're not an employee but an independent contractor. So you get no benefits, yet YOU HAVE TO WORK 9-5 calling to make appointments that the trainers won't go on with you. Real estate agents are independent contractors, and they work whenever they want to.
Folks, if you're thinking of "working" here, save yourself the time, effort and energy. This place is a waste of your time. And here's the kicker - my father in law is in the insurance business. He's a 25-year agent for a large, national company. My best friend is now an agent for a smaller, but well known company. They both agreed Bankers is, while not a "scam", not what they claim it to be. Forget these guys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

FSpur in Atlanta, Georgia

28 months ago

My wife is a Bankers Agent and I am highly offended at the classless and unproven allegations made here. Bankers is one of the oldest insurance companies in America - 130 years+. If you're not cut out to be a contract employee or in sales or an agent of any kind, then that's fine... this job is not for you. It's definitely not for me, either. But, my wife, enjoys the work, the relationships she builds with her clients, and the ability to help people with their financial security. The bottom line is that insurance is a product we all need, like it or not. Medicare does NOT pay for everything, funeral costs are beyond $10,000 and growing, and Nursing Facility costs are thru the roof. So, why shouldn't people be educated about & given the opportunity to purchase life insurance, medicare supplements, and long term care insurance?
My wife goes into the office 2 days/week to make her appointments. The other 3 days she's out running those appointments. She has the flexibility to take it easy sometimes if she wants to spend some extra time at home with our kids or has personal things to attend to. Do that with a 9-5 job.
Here's the real truth, that you won't find from others that posted here... it's a 10-99 job, which means you're a contractor. Yes, you have to pay for your license, leads, and other "tools of the trade." But, you write every bit of that off, since it's a business expense. MSkelly is mistaken... there is a reimbursement program for health insurance. My wife has an individual plan for her and our kids and she is reimbursed for a portion of that.
There is real money to be made here, trust me, and it is NOT a SCAM!!! If so, do you think they would still be here after 130 years? Also, every hear of Colonial Penn? Bankers is Colonial Penn!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (76) / No (51) Reply - Report abuse

alypa7 in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania

28 months ago

Well I have just been hired by Bankers Life and Casualty and they are not only paying for my testing fees but paying me a nice base salary. I understand that not everyone receives this though. I do have a degree and 10 years of sales experience and that was why I was hired this way. I have no delusions of grandure, I am aware that it will be hard work. If you are not able to do a salesperson's job then dont take the opportunity. Its not for everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Gilbert M. Cecil

28 months ago

If you are serious about a job with a great company that supplies you real leads for "free" and treats you like a person with no hidden "charges" and live in the eastern part of North Carolina, contact me at cecilgmc123.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

David in Spring, Texas

28 months ago

Hell! All I did was go to Google and type in "Bankers Life and Casualty" and SCAM pops up right behind it with this site! I DO have insurance sales experience, however after reading this site (along with another one) I have decided not to go to the interview. This many people can't be wrong! I want to thank you all for posting!
Also.. the people that work for Bankers ARE idiots! They called me right away when I posted my resume on monster.com. The next day they said they were not hiring... then the same woman called me back 5 hours later and said that I have already been hired, I have the job and I should come to their meeting today, Tuesday March 6,2012 at 10am. When people do this over the phone there is ALWAYS a catch!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

dlhoehns in Amarillo, Texas

28 months ago

FSpur in Atlanta, Georgia said: My wife is a Bankers Agent and I am highly offended at the classless and unproven allegations made here. Bankers is one of the oldest insurance companies in America - 130 years+. If you're not cut out to be a contract employee or in sales or an agent of any kind, then that's fine... this job is not for you. It's definitely not for me, either. But, my wife, enjoys the work, the relationships she builds with her clients, and the ability to help people with their financial security. The bottom line is that insurance is a product we all need, like it or not. Medicare does NOT pay for everything, funeral costs are beyond $10,000 and growing, and Nursing Facility costs are thru the roof. So, why shouldn't people be educated about & given the opportunity to purchase life insurance, medicare supplements, and long term care insurance?

How dare you use the plight of the elderly to justify your employment practices!!! When your personel turnover looks like a meat grinder then you as a company are a scam. I am you sure do provide a great product that does not make you a good company to work with. Your ends do not justify the means. If you so up and up why do you choose telemarketing to invade the privacy of people's lives.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

photonut113 in Fort Myers, Florida

28 months ago

Ever heard of companies called MetLife, NY Life, Prudential Life? Do you know what their retention rate is on their sales force? 2 - 3%. Bankers averages 49 - 50% because of the training, personal attention and lead program. Majority of agents in my office make $100k+. Of you can't do the job, just admit it, but don't trash something when you don't have all the facts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

I will let Inside Edition and the State of Washington Department of Labor and Industries help make my decision as to whether I accept a Independent Sales Position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Please excuse me but you are the one talking sideways. My previous comment was that I do not believe it is right for this company to excuse themselves for their employment practices. If you would take the time to read fully, I specifically stated that this company might have a good product, that I would never judge. By the way I helped for over five years to get seniors to pick their Medicare supplemental insurance plans and Hmmmm... Bankers was never mentioned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jean in Gainesville, Florida

28 months ago

I worked for Bankers in Gainesville. They certainly didn't represent it as easy work. What real work is easy. BUT...they do tell you they are behind you all the way and will supply you with high quality tools (Leads, training, etc) for you to earn 30 to 60 thousand in the first year (and the possibility to earn in the 100"s if you do what they teach you. This is a lie and don't believe it. Everything was High pressure and unorganized. I was told I would spend the first 3 months with a qualified trainer, learning the products and procedures, and attending weekly training sessions in the office. I would earn 50% of the commissions for all sales I attended. The training was totally unorganized. The right hand had no idea what the left hand was doing. The managers conducted the training and they all had a difference of opinion as to the interpretation of insurance law and company procedures. There was one good training held in Jacksonville for 3 days which was conducted by one person who had good training experience. When you go into the field, you DO NOT, again I state, you DO NOT go on appointments with a trainer unless YOU have scheduled the appointment. You do so from a lead list full of nothing but VERY BAD prospectives. Most have been on the list for several years and have been contacted by Banker Life agents some every day. Many yell and complain to you about how many times Banker Life calls them. When I was given list of 1200 insurance prospectives (person I was told had requested information from Bankers and Colonial Insurance), 40% had no phone #'s, 50% were on the "No Call List", 1% were already on Medicaid and no longer eligible for coverage, and 8% had been contacted many times and no longer wanted to hear the name Bankers Life. The remaining 1% you were lucky to convince to allow you to come into their home. The office manager hounded you for the people you knew that would invest their $ in Their products.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

On the days you were able to schedule appointments, someone from your team would be assigned to ride with you for the day and they would work their appointments in with yours. Any policy written both from your appts and the trainer appts. were split 50/50. So, the trainer doesn't do all the work while you sit on the couch and then shares his $ with you. This is 1 of the 2 areas that hurt me. Of all the policies I received commission on, they were for the most part at 50%. There were some @ 25%. I was told that the policies I wrote from my family and close friends would be at 100%. This was a lie. I never received any @ 100% and wrote 5 policies from family and friends which are still active. The problem with Bankers is not their products, it is their deceit with new agents. I was promised quality training in the homes of prospective customers but I was sent out 5 times in the 1st 3 months with 4 different people who all contradicted each other and the trainer in Jacksonville. The other times I was in the field, it was with other new agents. I even was required to train some of the new agents while using my car, my gas, my appointments, and slit the commission 50/50. In the 6 month I worked there, I made about $3,500. and now have to pay back about $2,500. resulting in charge backs on badly written policies. 45% of that was from polices I was forced to take 50% on other agents (trainers) policies/leads. The rest were from policies I was told by management to write on my family in order to reach the required premium/policies to remain a Bankers Agent. Then in 30 days refuse the policy as a FREE LOOK. I worked very hard, spent a lot of $ I didn't have available (charged up credit cards) only to exhaust the funds need to afford to say on. There were no 20 years Banker veteran agents. Most agents were less than 1 year. The agents who did well and had been there for a few years, knew how to work the system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

I witnessed some questionable insurance practices. Including writing policies on a family member without their knowledge with every intention of not keeping the policy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

I also had to purchase a windows lap top because their programs will not work on an apple. So, if you can afford to support your business until you can begin to get good leads (they come when you start paying for them after you so called training period) or if you are good at knocking on doors, or if you know a lot of people who will buy life insurance and you are a take charge person who can train yourself then go for it. If not, find a life insurance company who will pay a salary during training. they are out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sam in Manchester, New Hampshire

28 months ago

Thank goodness for the internet and all of you. I was getting ready this morning for an interview in Concord, NH. I thought it was strange that they had texted me and called me two times to remind me of the interview, not to mention the countless e-mails. I had never encountered this before. I thought I may as well google Bankers Life and Casualty scam... and before I even type scam, it had already came up. I had posted my resume on Monster last Wednesday and they called me a few hours later. I was arguing on the phone with the woman (who hardly spoke English) that I was not a "sales" person. She keep saying "you will get briefed". I was actually treating her like a telemarketer (NOT nicely) and she still wanted me to interview.... I was thinking wow, why would you want to interview me after I was so cold to you? Definitely, not going now. I guess it will give me more time to apply for "real" jobs. Great, get to take unnecessary vacation time since the interview was right in the middle of my work-day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Followed instincts in Dayton, Ohio

27 months ago

Thank you all for posting these comments! I am very happy I followed my instincts and found more information about this company prior to me driving 30+ miles to get scammed! We are all hard working Americans which need to be provided with legit opportunities verses ones that may utilize moneys which were already delegated to something else. Once again thank you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Laura in Middle River, Maryland

27 months ago

lj in Houston, Texas said: Glad I found this. I replied to an ad from Bankers on CareerBuilder and got a call to attend a "pre-interview". Funny thing is, I screen calls from unknown area codes, and I only took the call because I was driving at the time. As I'm doing research,posts like these and some on other sites I found when I googled Bankers are not encouraging. I don't want to pay for my own training. Think I'll skip this "pre-interview".

I do the exact same thing. The lady who called me was pushy and didn't like to answer my questions. I googled the number she called from and it was an unpublished number. 1st sign its a bad idea. Plus asking me for a resume they should have and not caring I didn't have any insurance experience. When its too easy it can't be good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Laura in Middle River, Maryland

27 months ago

photonut113 in Fort Myers, Florida said: I've been working at Bankers in Fort Myers for 3 years now and making more than Drs and Lawyers do. Is the job easy? Absolutely not, it is a lot of work. But, it's a lot of work to be successful in anything you do. The first year to year and a half is probably the hardest because you have to build a client base. In Fort Myers, we were taught to treat everyone we talk on the phone with and vist with as if they were our Mother's and Father's. It's funny that the only people that are on this forum are the people that either never tried it, or failed. The successful ones, with the exception of me at this point because I'm fed up with seeing all the negativity posted, don't have the time to respond to the crap posted because we're busy making money, going on trips paid for by the company and enjoying life thanks to the money we're making in poor economic times because of the training and support we get from management and the company.

So you are in on the scam, right? Shame..Shame. Obviously hundreds of replies that its a scam far outweighs your glowing recommendation. And why are you answering posts on a job finding site? You are employed, right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

bankersagent in Gaithersburg, Maryland

27 months ago

Actually, a person who is good at what they do is always aware of what may be going around about their organization in order to develop the right approaches.

I'm fairly new at Bankers Life. It's a really tough job - no doubt, but it's a great opportunity to achieve something good for yourself if you have what it takes to ride it out. In an economy where people are making 10/hour sitting on top of huge college loans, it's not the ideal job to walk into. What is however, is better in the long run than going to work 40 hours a week somewhere with little upward mobility and little to no vacation time. Will you have to work more hours than the average guy in the beginning? Absolutely! Working with Bankers (or any other fully commissioned position, for that matter) requires a lot of input at the front end. It's like a tractor-trailer; requires a huge engine with a lot of low-end torque to get it moving, but once it does get moving, it's hard to stop.
Will you call people the company sent stuff out to a while ago who have either not responded or not understood clearly what responding would entail? yes. so do the guys that have been around years and are making excellent commissions. it's not so much about the lead as it is about your skill, and experience, and people skills. With time you get better. Thinking about working for Bankers? come prepared to make little starting out, but push yourself to study hard and observe what the successful people do and what the unsuccessful ones do as well. stick to the model, work hard and build a good client-base, and proceed from there. When doctors start out, they study under someone (residency) for a long time making little, and after they get into their practice it takes them time and a lot of effort in the beginning to get to the level where they can afford to work only a few days a week with a lot of vacation time. Same with most lawyers; they start out as associates and work work work till they become partners.
It's doable!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Ok, so I said that I would come back and report my experience with Bankers life. As an experienced insurance agent, I can firmly attest that it is 100% legitimate and they are extremely proactive in helping senior citizens with their Medicare needs as well as their retirement and life planning. My training was phenominal! They not only give new agents the specific knowledge they need to be successful in the field, but they are also proactive with the agents that may be struggling in that they target problem areas and spend the extra time teaching and helping them. I have been with them now for less than a month so I will reoprt on my earnings soon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Last week I made $2500 in advanced commissions! Again, cautiously proceeding to make sure its not a fluke. So far, I am loving the job AND the money and I am really excited to be helping people. There are added expenses on the road, like gas & lunch (not if you pack it in a cooler). Neither of them matter with the amount I made last week. Besides they let me work the towns close to me so there isnt too much added expense. I will keep reporting and keep everyone updated. So far,so good though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

TMAN in Carmel, Indiana

26 months ago

Keep it Rollin!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

jcohe107@fau,edu in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

25 months ago

I honestly have never laughed so hard. As a sophomore in college and a business major taking a wide variety of business classes including classes on how to act in an interview, how to dress, and multiple different computer programs and also coming from manager for a year and a half and the clerk to an autistic client for 2 years (my mom’s the vice president) so I did a lot more than any other clerk, I have to say that this is complete and udder insult to human intelligence. Who tells you to dress professionally I mean honestly. Did they think I was going to show up in a bathing suit and flip flops? It’s hilarious! The people that WANT to do this job are saying it’s the greatest job in the world. HELLLOOOOOO WAKE UP every one that’s leaving negative comments are the people like me who have no insurance experience and are being interviewed to work for an insurance company. Instead of sending an email stating that they are recruiting people that would like to make this a career, I got a phone call after putting a resume on monster.com (just to see what would happen)they called me and told me that they liked my resume to go to the address and dress professionally. You honestly have to be an idiot to not know that it’s a scam. UNLESS you want to trick the elderly into buying insurance and talking on the phone rest of your life put your clothes that are ironed and hanging on your chair back in your closet and wait for the next job. Does this company really think that someone who has no sales experience at 19 years old is going to be good for this job? Give me a break people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »