BARNES & NOBLE BOOKSELLERS News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does BARNES & NOBLE BOOKSELLERS stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

copperhead in Murrells Inlet, South Carolina

89 months ago

The company went from good to great now they are going from Great to Good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

89 months ago

The company went from good to great now they are going from Great to Good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

BN Barista in St. Louis, Missouri

83 months ago

Just like the other retailers, B&N is ailing. They are cutting jobs & hours drastically at the store level. It looks to be permanent because its part of a corporate-wide restructuring of the store heirarchy. If you just want a 10-14 hour per week job paying min wage, then go for it. There are no more promotions to management from within (or they are extremely rare, like once every 3-4 years), and you won't even get those 10-14 hours unless you have TOTAL open availability. For the first time in 3+ years I am being ordered to keep all booksellers & cafe servers below 20 hours per week with a max of 4.5 hours per shift in order to avoid lunch breaks & the threat of ever having them become eligible for benefits. All the other retailers either already are like this or they are being forced to become like this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

I was a Manager there and they would spend thousands of $$$$ on the big yearly meeting. They would roll out all these holiday sets and before December they would say do what you need to do because what we did was not working. I had to cut hours and let people go that had been there for 5-10 years. I had 4 didtrict managers in 7 years. The first thing each one did was start firing people and bringing in their cornies from the company they came from. They let the stores get nasty. I couldn't even get the front of the store powerwashed. Customer service went to hell because we could not staff the store. They cut hours so bad.I saw an old customer and she said she stopped going because there was no one to help here and the weird people that hung out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

freshfacedFA in Wisconsin

83 months ago

My son worked at B&N in the cafe in another state for his 'first job' and loved it. The pay was poor but he was surprisingly good at customer service and developed such a good rapport with them that they would ask for him when they came in. He never missed a day, worked there for 2 years, has an extremely high I.Q., common sense, well groomed, and just an all around great guy. He finally quit when he realized that B&N was never going to promote from within and he knew he couldn't afford to live on that salary. If B&N actually went through and "cleaned house", getting rid of employees that are not dependable, etc., promoted those that are worthy of it, paid them decent wages, and seriously delivered customer service, they would not only survive - they would thrive.

Until then, I'll keep going to Borders in my area. It's simply better right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.