BARNES & NOBLE BOOKSELLERS Salaries, Bonuses and Benefits.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What are the average starting salaries, bonuses, benefits and travel requirements like at BARNES & NOBLE BOOKSELLERS?

What do you like best about working at BARNES & NOBLE BOOKSELLERS? Are there any great perks or special treats for employees?

Reply - Report abuse

copperhead in Murrells Inlet, South Carolina

83 months ago

Be prepared to receive raises that are a joke. They do promote from within but will pay someone from the outside a lot more than someone that has worked for the 5-6 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

underpaid in Charlotte, North Carolina

63 months ago

Pay supposedly is dependent on experience. That being said, it is also dependent on the market you are in (location). In my location a new bookseller makes $6.75, which is 20 cents above minimum wage. This will change in July when the minimum is again raised to $7.15, but knowing the Company (over 6 years) they will only go to the minimum.

@Cheryl: Merch managers are formerly known as Dept managers. The Company moved the position to an hourly rate, supposedly commiserate with the old salaried rate. New Dept managers could expect around $25k per year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

lj in Houston, Texas

57 months ago

I worked for B&N for 7 years, left 2 years ago to pursue a different career. If things have remained the same, medical benefits are available after a year for pat time (less than 32 hours/week) employees and 6 months for full-time. I believe pay now starts (at least in my area) at $7.50/hour. Raises were $.50 once a year. Pay was not great but benefits were excellent, only experienced a couple of problems in the years I had them. Discounts are 30% on books, 20% on music/dvd, and 50% if the store has a cafe. Shifts were usually 6-8 hours, depending on your availability and stor needs. Another good thing is that, though sales are important, you are expected to be knowledgable about the product but not to push promotions. They're not a hard-sell business. That fit my personality very well (I'm in a store now where I'm expected to encourage additional purchases and add-on items. :(

If you leave for any reason, be sure to go to seasonal. That way, you have an advantage if you need to return. I made the mistake of quitting to pursue a new career, and when that didn't work out, sales were down and they couldn't hire me back on. (Now working at a retail bath store in the same mall where I'm scheduled for like 3 hours a week and have to call in daily if I'm available to see if they're busy.)

I love to read, so overall I enjoyed my experience at B&N

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.