Do they every get anyone jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (29)

Agreed!! A complete scam... in New York, New York

92 months ago

Got the same 3 page form letter tearing down my chances at ever finding a legitimate position and touting their high standards (sort of nauseatingly self-indulgent praise rally), followed up the next day by an equally transparent suggestion that I join Legal Authority and LawCrossing. Not sure if there's any legitimacy at all to this organization but perhaps it's time to turn the spotlight in their direction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Lawyer in DC in Falls Church, Virginia

92 months ago

Definitely worthless. If they are not a scam, they are a front for something. "Harrison" is the best joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Some Guy in Washington, District of Columbia

90 months ago

"Gary" works for BCG. This place is definitely a scam bait-and-switch designed to prey upon people when they are at their weakest.

I was just curious about one of their great "jobs," so I sent a resume. After getting a form response saying I was over-qualified and a solicitation for LegalAuthority and Lawcrossing, I did a quick Google and realized BCG Attorney Search was a scam.

So, just to check, I sent in "resume" that consisted solely of, "If you reply to this with a form response saying I'm overqualified, I'll make a complaint to the FTC."

I got the same form response back saying I was over-qualified. FTC, here I come.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Gary in New Albany, Indiana

90 months ago

Hey "Some Guy" that is so prepared to complain to the FTC that he can't bother to identify himself by name,

I don't work for BCG. They legitimately helped me. A lot of it could depend on the local office you're dealing with--I dealt with Atlanta and they were great...but I can't speak for other offices.

Next time don't be such a ********* and assume I'm some "plant"...I've just got a different impression of this company than most of the folks on here. But if we're going to make assumptions, I'll assume you're not a litigator since you amorphously cite a "Google" as the entire basis for calling them a scam. Litigators typically cite actual evidence. Or perhaps you're not as overqualified as you claim.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (70) Reply - Report abuse

It's an Immigration / DOL scam in New York, New York

89 months ago

Many of the jobs that are advertised are impossible to get; the recruiting firms just advertise them to meet Department of Labor (DOL) requirements for hiring a foreign professional. The position must first be advertised in the US to find a local candidate before importing someone. But they never intend to give anyone local a real chance, as the person they are really hiring is connected via existing personal or professional relationships.

It's essentially fraud that goes unpunished because of influence. The large firms are constantly hiring from abroad, and they have these recruitment firms do the advertising for them. Now that's illegal immigration!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Lesley in Mount Pleasant, Michigan

87 months ago

Maybe that is true in New York, but it seems to me most large firms have American attorneys that either graduated from a top tier school, clerked at the firm during law school while at a local law school, or were hired due to their success prior to being there. I am sure when said posting are posted that they have people in mind, but I highly doubt they're all foreigners. How does that make any sense?

It's an Immigration / DOL scam in New York, New York said: Many of the jobs that are advertised are impossible to get; the recruiting firms just advertise them to meet Department of Labor (DOL) requirements for hiring a foreign professional. The position must first be advertised in the US to find a local candidate before importing someone. But they never intend to give anyone local a real chance, as the person they are really hiring is connected via existing personal or professional relationships.

It's essentially fraud that goes unpunished because of influence. The large firms are constantly hiring from abroad, and they have these recruitment firms do the advertising for them. Now that's illegal immigration!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

katar in northridge, California

86 months ago

Legal Authority is a scam operation. I had the worst consumer-experience of my life with them. They signed me up, then ignored my calls and emails for 2 weeks. I was in shock. Legal Authority’s business model is designed to profit from its own delay. If Legal Authority stalls long enough (two weeks in my case), the customer will eventually secure employment on his own devices, whereupon Legal Authority will be in the rare position to collect payment for services never provided due to its own delay. After i bugged them a dozen times, they finally edited my cover letter; it looks like a hack job with run-on sentences, unclear antecedent, etc. Beginning sentences with dangling modifiers, the writing style is also extremely awkward and unprofessional. (sic)

When I expressed my dissatisfaction, Legal Authority admitted to the complained-of delays and admitted their cover letter contained a run-on sentence and numerous (11 by my count) basic errors. Yet, they refused to refund, compromise or negotiate. So I am being billed for $700+ for NOTHING. Infuriating. I am contacting the BBB. Please stay away from Legal Authority!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

contacting the A-G or DA is a grand idea, and this will be my next phase.

if i don't get a proper response to my "Letter #2" (printed in full at legalauthorityscam.blogspot.com/), i will also file a civil suit.

a scam operation that preys upon attorneys, of all possible demographic markets, must have some sort of latent suicidal death wish.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

trust me, i am all over it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

new update at the blog: legalauthorityscam.blogspot.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Under-employed Attorney in Jackson, Mississippi

81 months ago

THANK YOU!!! I was starting to have low feelings of self-esteem with the rejections I keep getting from this firm. How can sham recruiters keep posting on legitimate(?) cites?

Glad to know I'm not just "unworthy" and that this is a firm that never actually recruites.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

EJS in West Chester, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

It appears that their real goal is to get people to sign up for their pay site, "which has the same job listings." Maybe they do help a relative few people directly, but it certainly appears their goal is to make you pay for their info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joann Pheasant in Sacramento, California

70 months ago

I tried to type CEO but didn't make it. He probably owns the third company as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joann Pheasant in Sacramento, California

70 months ago

The complete " report" is at this website: www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ and yes, the guy I spoke with claimed to be in Pasedena but sure had a strong Indian accent. I'm not objecting to using out of country marketing but it's nice to be honest about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

If their service is so good, why do they need at least 5 different sites just for lawyers, let alone the sites they put together for many other different professions? I have found they have now begun a new tactic where instead of posting ads on the local legal publication under BCG Attorney Search, they now post it under Company Confidential, so I can no longer be certain it's one of their fraudulent (in my opinion) ads or from some entity that would actually be worth pursuing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Appleton, Wisconsin

69 months ago

Watch out for ads posted by Vanara as well. It is just another arm of juriscape. I can't imagine why they need another head hunting organization when they have BCG - perhaps they have to hide from their reputation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: No matter how you slice the pie, folks, BCG under its various guises is bogus and a POS.

Why can't you just apply directly to firms?

You could if you knew who the firms were. The "beauty" of the headhunters' system (and BCG is not the only culprit of this) is that they don't usually reveal who is looking for the help. Not sure if it's because the positions generally do not exist in the first place or the headhunters are just protecting their fee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

By the way, I believe all of the following companies are related to Harrison Barnes: Legal Authority (sometimes LegalAuthority on sites), BCG Attorney Search, Vanara, Hound, FirstLawJob. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few others out there that I'm currently overlooking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PaulaM in Alexndria, Virginia

68 months ago

dazed101 in Los Angeles, California said: The reason why you people are getting rejected is because you don't meet the BCG qualifications. BCG only helps individuals from top 14 law schools who were top third in their class. Alternatively, they also look at people who have already worked at big law firms and want to transfer. Mainly they only work with these people because everytime they place someone of that caliber, they get $30-45k in commission.

So its still a scam because it should say so in the advertisment. A lot of law firms etc advertise and say "must be from a top tier law school," so if that was the only case they would just say that.

This scam goes a lot deeper than that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

whigrose in Augusta, Georgia

64 months ago

I have had experiences with all 3 companies, with mixed results. Here they are (though I'll have to break them up into separate posts due to limit restraints, which sucks):

BCG--I completely agree that BCG is either a total scam or so concerned with only those who can get into biglaw that they are a waste of time for anyone else. I don't recall exactly what I got back, but basically they suggested I wasn't good enough for any of their clients and I should try Legal Authority. I absolutely abhor this company!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

John Doe in Augusta, Georgia

32 months ago

BCG is a scam. BCG is a joke. BCG is a waste of time.

Yeah, I sent them my resume. I've been in private practice firm work for 10 years and "Harrison" wrote me to tell me that my resume was GREAT, but his clients don't like attorneys who've been contract lawyers and not full0time and that he could help if I just was a contracted lawyer. I've always been full-time, partnership track, and nowhere in my 9page resume was contract work mentioned. So, I wrote back and told him that, and SUDDENLY, my credentials weren't good enough. He's a SCAMMER.

BCG is a SCAM. BCG attorney search is a SCAM, not real.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

NYAtty in New York, New York

28 months ago

Not sure if they are a scam per se. After all, what would be the purpose of the scam? It wouldn't seem like BCG would be making any money by turning people down.

More likely, BCG is just plain disorganized and rather useless. I sent in my resume and received the e-mail from "Harrison" advising that BCG's standards were high and that they only accept certain people as candidates but my resume was great and that the local NY recruiter would contact me with further questions to further screen if I qualified. Immediately afterwards, I got an e-mail (most likely a form letter)from the NY recruiter which included a link to a survey form which asked something like 10,000 questions. I sepnt my time answering the damned thing. Then, I got an e-mail from somone from BCG asking if we could talk over the telephone. I called and got her VM and left her a message. No call back. I sent her an e-mail and she wrote back asking if I could call her tomorrow. I did but again got her VM and she never called back. Frustrating? Yes. I didn't bother with BCG after that and pretty much concluded that they wasted my time with thier survey. Is BCG useless? Pretty much. Scam? Unless it is a sick joke by "Harrison" to waste peoples' time when they're looking for a job, then I'm not sure it's a scam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ganadip in Glendale, California

22 months ago

john young in Foothill Ranch, California said: Is this recruiting company successful at getting applicants jobs. They post legal job openings daily, but when you send in your resume, you get a generic response that there's too many inquiries and not enough recruiters to help you. What's the deal with that?

No!! Do not waste your money with them as I did. This has been, by far, my worst customer service experience ever. They will charge you hundreds of dollars and won't even tell you the truth about their service. Then they have this ridiculous 3 day cancellation policy, which means by the time you realize that the service sucks, it is too late to get any money back.
They won't tell you that you have to pay an extra $50 for stamps, after they have already charged you about $360 for 100 employer name and printed cover letter and resumes. So, you end up paying about $400 to send 100 applications to firms that mostly are not in existence any more (I got about 15 returned mail, and god only knows when I will get a refund, if ever, and for how much.)
Also, they sent me firms that did not even remotely practice in the areas that I had asked for. So, I lost about 20 of my contacts because my cover letter and resume, and generally my experience, was not tailored/targeted to those firms at all.
I am going to complaint to BBB, Consumer Protection Agencies and also to FTC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DogLawyer in Valencia, California

17 months ago

I'm an AV rated lawyer with 20 years of legal experience in the Los Angeles area. I received the same form letter as everyone else from "Harrison." This is not a legitimate attorney placement agency. There are plenty of legitimate recruiters out there- I received several referrals for recruiters from the firm administrator at my last firm. Don't waste your time or resources with BCG.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pebbles9123 in Redondo Beach, California

15 months ago

EJS in West Chester, Pennsylvania said: By the way, I believe all of the following companies are related to Harrison Barnes: Legal Authority (sometimes LegalAuthority on sites), BCG Attorney Search, Vanara, Hound, FirstLawJob. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few others out there that I'm currently overlooking.

I agree. I've been online job searching for 6 months. Harrison Barnes' name shows up under each of these entities (if you want to call them that) as well as others. I would not mind this duplicity if the reviews showed one such entity could get me a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fanny Mae in Winter Garden, Florida

13 months ago

Ok, thank God I'm reading this now before I spend any money on them. Now, DogLawyer can you please tell me any good legitimate recruiters that you know? I dont want to waste my time with something like BCG!

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fanny Mae in Winter Garden, Florida

13 months ago

DogLawyer in Valencia, California said: I'm an AV rated lawyer with 20 years of legal experience in the Los Angeles area. I received the same form letter as everyone else from "Harrison." This is not a legitimate attorney placement agency. There are plenty of legitimate recruiters out there- I received several referrals for recruiters from the firm administrator at my last firm. Don't waste your time or resources with BCG.

Ok, thank God I'm reading this now before I spend any money on them. Now, DogLawyer can you please tell me any good legitimate recruiters that you know? I dont want to waste my time with something like BCG!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cavenaghi in NYC, New York

2 months ago

I signed up with Legal Authority on January 2014.
I paid more than $1,000 for the first bulk of contacts + the subscription fee. After having wait more than 1 month I received the box with the letters. First trouble, no stamps. So for sending 600 letters = $ 300 of stamps (Already more than $ 1,300 total paid). Second trouble there were 30 contacts less than the number promised.
Just few days after having sent all the 600 contacts, I received back some letters because of their wrong address. At the beginning of March the wrong address letters were more than 50. I call Gordon: 30 less + 50 wrong address = 80. He said no problem no problem I give you back 80 contacts + other 40 because we love our customer. They send me other 120 contacts, I don't know from where because the first 600 were already the maximum of the contacts that we have found in the NYC area from specific field of law. Anyway, after another 1 month I received those 120 contacts. No interviews offer for weeks. Than I HAD ONE for trust and wills that it was not my field of research!!!! Of course no job offer.
I started to complain to Gordon. 700 letters sent, few answers, 1 interview, a lot of miss-delivered letters because Legal Authority has given the wrong address. $ 1,400 spent.
New policy of Gordon after my complaint: before giving the money back we have to try more. I said ok: another 400 contacts form nowhere. another 1 month to wait, another $ 200 in stamps. It was end of April 2014. Result? 100 letters back BECAUSE THE WRONG ADDRESS, 5 answers, no interviews.
Since the 28 of August I'm wringing to Gordon and to Legal Authority to have the money back. At least $ 1,000 for the contacts. New policy from Gordon: we have to give the money back IF LESS THAN 2 INTERVIEWS, BUT, ANYWAY, IN YOUR CASE, THE COMPANY HAS ALREADY SPENT A LOT OF MONEY FOR YOU, SO I'M SORRY NO MONEY BACK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.