Bed Bath and Beyond

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 73)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Carmen Dyes in Everett, Washington

77 months ago

I work for bed bath and beyond and i was reading all the bad things people were saying about them, well just because someone doesn't call you back right away doesn't mean there a bad company, Bed Bath and Beyond have been the best place i've worked in a long time if you think this is a such a bad company why don't you work for Toys R Us and then come back and then come and tell me that bed bath and beyond is a bad place to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (60) Reply - Report abuse

charo in Irvington, New Jersey

77 months ago

nothing is perfect in any place,in bed bath beyond in jersey city(Wharehouse) I see alot of abuse from people that work there,and you know what? because It has many ilegal workers even the managers that why they don respect the people

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

Carmenrm in Everett, Washington

76 months ago

I work I bed bath and beyond and so far It's been great i don't know what your talkin about but it's been the best job I've had in a really long time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (48) Reply - Report abuse

Paps in North Aurora, Illinois

76 months ago

I totally agree! I left my company that I had 9 years with. My last position with them was regional coordinator. I went into BB&B as a high potential trainee, started as a department manager, and was treated like s**t the entire nightmarish 6 weeks that I was there-infighting, blatent lies, 16 hour shifts with one break ("lunch"). I think that the idiot store manager let my salary gt out, so they "leadership" had it out for me from the moment I walked in. No support, I wasn't allowed to work on my training, just utter bolderdash that would hav prompted most people with my education, abilities and background to leave within 2 days. I would not let my dog work for them, and they don't print enough money for me to EVER go back there. I would live in a cardvoard box and push a shopping cart around first!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (85) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Paps in North Aurora, Illinois said: I totally agree! I left my company that I had 9 years with. My last position with them was regional coordinator. I went into BB&B as a high potential trainee, started as a department manager, and was treated like s**t the entire nightmarish 6 weeks that I was there-infighting, blatent lies, 16 hour shifts with one break ("lunch"). I think that the idiot store manager let my salary gt out, so they "leadership" had it out for me from the moment I walked in. No support, I wasn't allowed to work on my training, just utter bolderdash that would hav prompted most people with my education, abilities and background to leave within 2 days. I would not let my dog work for them, and they don't print enough money for me to EVER go back there. I would live in a cardvoard box and push a shopping cart around first!!

Sorry about the typos-I do that when I get very angry!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Paps in North Aurora, Illinois said: Sorry about the typos-I do that when I get very angry!!

Oh, and forget about bringing in new ideas fotheir "entrpenual" spririt. This was one of the bigger lies from the jump. If you try to be creative and do something different, you will be told thst :We don't do thst here!" everytime!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Creative Consulting Team in Dallas, Texas

76 months ago

Depends what you do and do you like your work at B,B&B. If not, everything else falls apart.

===
Interview and Job Search Tips -
Tony Beshara
http:://www.tonybeshara.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

76 months ago

Creative Consulting Team in Dallas, Texas said: Depends what you do and do you like your work at B,B&B. If not, everything else falls apart.

===
Interview and Job Search Tips -
Tony Beshara
http:://www.tonybeshara.com

Wrong! I liked the job, and what I was doing. What I wouldn't put up with was the unethical practices and shady, dishonest people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

noway in brooklyn, New York

76 months ago

Can i tell you how much I agree. 16 hour shifts and 1 30min break!!! All the senior management sit on there asses and point fingers at people. I never worked for such a more uncaring company in my life. If you like being treated like a slave...even as a department manager....then work there. Monday morning bullcrap folders and you can't even get a second to train because your ringing people up ever minute. Let's not even get into there old and decrepit pos system from the 80's!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Creative Consulting Team in Dallas, Texas

75 months ago

Paps in North Aurora, Illinois said: Wrong! I liked the job, and what I was doing. What I wouldn't put up with was the unethical practices and shady, dishonest people.

Feeling sympathy as - trust me- been there, done that. I think in any organization (not B, B&Beyond) there will be people who'll look at you and see competition (as you've mentioned you really liked the job). I think only once I've been working the job I like without above mentioned issues, but that was at University.

If you're stucked there, just accept the fact - and search for new job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Maybe someone should call the department of labor and let them know there break practices. 30min breaks for 12-16 hr shifts is against the law. Better yet who is spotting the ladders when you climb them? NO ONE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Carmen Dyes in Everett, Washington said: I work for bed bath and beyond and i was reading all the bad things people were saying about them, well just because someone doesn't call you back right away doesn't mean there a bad company, Bed Bath and Beyond have been the best place i've worked in a long time if you think this is a such a bad company why don't you work for Toys R Us and then come back and then come and tell me that bed bath and beyond is a bad place to work for.

There tied for turnover rate!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Toi Fung in New York, New York

75 months ago

Carmenrm in Everett, Washington said: I work I bed bath and beyond and so far It's been great i don't know what your talkin about but it's been the best job I've had in a really long time.

Can you elaborate more?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

HardWorkingWonder in Lakemoor, Illinois

72 months ago

Just started working here...sigh. Have worked many retail positions and have never been so poorly treated by management. Employees get 20 percent off, but so does everyone else because people can use expired coupons so you pretty much get no discount. On top off that, part-time employees get paid no overtime or holiday pay. BBB also cuts many corners, leaving the staff out in the cold. They have computer systems from the eighties, literally, have no janitorial staff, so if you are hired to work in customer service, you will be scrubbing and unclogging toilets. I was told I would need to be able to lift thirty pounds which is fine, but then I started and they would make fun of me or ridicule me when I asked for help lifting something 50 lbs or more. I was never trained, simply thrown on register the first day and then yelled at when I made mistakes. There is much apathy to be seen by fellow employees, but not surprising. I took the job mostly for the discount and to help pay for school, but I am searching for another part-time job to replace this one. The turnover is very high as the help-wanted signs are always up. The corp. views employees as dispensable, which I know is, sadly, commonplace, but at least at other jobs they treat you like more of a human being, and less like another mindless cog in the machine. The only good thing about working here, is that I've never studied so hard in my life as I do for my college courses because I see everytime I work the levels of despair full-time employees and lifers have to face working for this retail wreckingball.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

blurgge in Florida

72 months ago

What a horrible place to work. Anyone considering working there? Please don't! I heard and read so many warning about working at BBB but ignored it and thought that their horrible experiences would not apply to me. Boy, was I WRONG. I've never had a more miserable experience anywhere else than I did while working at Bed Bath and Beyond.

The managers treat the associates with such little respect. We are not trained anywhere near well enough, and as a result when associates screw up, they get "punished" by the very same people who failed to properly train them! Working there was pretty much hell. If I did a good job with something there was no recognition, but if I made the smallest error then they were sure to make you feel like absolute dogsh*t. When I asked questions they made sure to make me feel retarded. When I made an honest mistake I was "made example of" in front of groups of fellow co-workers (I especially enjoyed being called lazy and treated like a naughty 5 year old in front of 8 or so other people). Managers do a good job of reducing your feelings of self-worth to absolutely nothing and accomplish making you feel degraded and stripped of your individuality on a daily basis. Once you get off work you are left feeling both relieved and slightly depressed, and then immediately begin to dred the next day when you have to go into work.

The managers at first boast that "Bed Bath and Beyond is a family!" and then proceed to make you feel like a piece of trash. I have never been in such an environment where I felt so emotionally scarred at the end of the day and the thought of returning made me feel ill. Blood Bath and Beyond, indeed.

Stay away! You have been properly warned! Already work/worked there? I'm sorry, I feel your pain.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (63) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Ilikecheese in Portland, Oregon

71 months ago

Bed Bath and Beyond is THE WORST company I have ever worked for. First of all, why is it that no one can spell in this damn company? (For proof, check out every person on this blog that supports BBB.....they sound like they didn't graduate from high school.) Daily, I receive the most unproductive, unprofessional, downright retarded emails. Not to mention how the district and regional staff are expected to visit stores and primarily tell them what they are doing wrong (and yes, I am in a district position). I'm somewhat new, and in my first few visits attempted a teamwork approach with the stores. I actually rolled up my sleeves and helped them - OH NO! My boss flipped out. That can't do. I'm only to nail them in their audits and send emails to all and sundry reporting what they did wrong. I am embarrassed to say I work for this company. They may be doing well financially, but it sucks to work there. I am surrounded by the dumbest people in retail. Most of the store management I know hate their jobs, and the ones who like their jobs are too dumb/lazy to go elsewhere, can't pass a drug test (yeah, we don't test, btw), or are insane. I can't take it anymore. Oh, if I misspelled something, it's because I'm almost through a bottle of wine, which is the only way I can get through the night knowing I have to go back to that hellhole tomorrow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (69) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Ilikecheese in Portland, Oregon

71 months ago

Paps in North Aurora, Illinois said: Oh, and forget about bringing in new ideas fotheir "entrpenual" spririt. This was one of the bigger lies from the jump. If you try to be creative and do something different, you will be told thst :We don't do thst here!" everytime!!!

Yup!!! Been there, done that! I was told when I was hired that my specific field experience was something they really needed, however any, and I mean ANY attempt at change has been shot down with "we don't do that here". WTF, then why did you hire me! Apparently they really wanted a Stepford employee......I'm waiting for the pod people to come abduct me any day so they can convert me. Everyone (in district/regional management) here says that they expect new management hires to take 6 months to a year to "get" the company culture. First of all, that is a frightening statement. Secondly, I'm afraid the only way I'm going to "get" the company culture is if I'm brainwashed, so now I'm REALLY on my toes....no WAY I'm going to any kind of "management retreat", yikes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

blink1010 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

Ilikecheese in Portland, Oregon said: Bed Bath and Beyond is THE WORST company I have ever worked for. First of all, why is it that no one can spell in this damn company? (For proof, check out every person on this blog that supports BBB.....they sound like they didn't graduate from high school.) Daily, I receive the most unproductive, unprofessional, downright retarded emails. Not to mention how the district and regional staff are expected to visit stores and primarily tell them what they are doing wrong (and yes, I am in a district position). I'm somewhat new, and in my first few visits attempted a teamwork approach with the stores. I actually rolled up my sleeves and helped them - OH NO! My boss flipped out. That can't do. I'm only to nail them in their audits and send emails to all and sundry reporting what they did wrong. I am embarrassed to say I work for this company. They may be doing well financially, but it sucks to work there. I am surrounded by the dumbest people in retail. Most of the store management I know hate their jobs, and the ones who like their jobs are too dumb/lazy to go elsewhere, can't pass a drug test (yeah, we don't test, btw), or are insane. I can't take it anymore. Oh, if I misspelled something, it's because I'm almost through a bottle of wine, which is the only way I can get through the night knowing I have to go back to that hellhole tomorrow.

Wow I am very glad I stumbled onto this website i was actually considering a career move to Bed Bath and Beyond. Is it really that bad? I have talked to a couple people in regards to pay and everyone seems to speak highly of pay and benefits as a district manager. Can you give me any insight?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Ilikecheese in Somewhere Anywhere

70 months ago

Pay is pretty good. Benefits, well they are chintzy with vacation, as a new employee, regardless of district position, you will be lucky to get 2 weeks. No personal days to start with. You get medical/dental after 3 months. Other bennies, I haven't seen them. Be prepared that you will be expected to work at least a 50 hr. week, and lunch breaks beyond a half hour are frowned upon. Take my advice - and by proxy, others I know there - don't make the move unless you are in a corner and just need a job. Another observation: they don't really fire anyone at the district level, not that I've heard of. You can actually get away with doing very little, in my opinion. Part of what I hate about it. You may find yourself in the company of people just like me, who hate their jobs and are only sticking around for a paycheck until the next thing comes along, and that is just not a good place to be. Good luck, don't just take my word, though. It sounds like you are doing research, and I wish you well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

deathinlove in Orlando, Florida

66 months ago

Before I started working at Bed Bath and Beyond, I came to this website, and I read absolutely horrible reviews. I was terrified. Now I must ask, WHAT Bed Bath and Beyond do the rest of you work for? I absolutely LOVE my job. I'm a currently a second year business major, and I wanted some retail experience. I started out part now (I am full time now). I haven't even been there for a year, and I'm already being promoted (with no retail experience). It is, by far, the best place I've ever worked. The management staff has answered every question I've ever had. And, on the contrary, I went through three days of training before I was even allowed to touch a register. Have I worked 14 hour days? Of course I have. Not only have I volunteered to work them when it's needed, but when I requested a second break, I received a second break. As far as management being horrible to their employees? I see two of my managers outside of work on a regular basis. And three of the four are in my phone. One of them, has in fact, become a great friend. The district staff? Some of them are absolutely phenomenal! In fact, I even got my best friend a job there, and SHE loves it.
I don't know if this is a regional problem, but please don't knock this job before you give it a try. I'm so glad I took this job; however, I am dedicated, always on time, willing to learn, and an all around good employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

happygolucky-1 in Fairmount, Georgia

62 months ago

Anyone know what their background check details are? How far do they go back?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Greg Lange in Grand Rapids, Michigan

59 months ago

I have been with Bed Bath and Beyond 7 years and yes they expect alot out of you, but we do not want to hire Lazy people but sometimes they get through. This is a company that you can think for yourself! (no plannograms). Please people who cant think for yourself or cant work hard please do not Apply! Bed Bath and Beyond is the greatest company to work for if you like tasks and self accomplishment!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

mjg102186 in Cleveland, Ohio

59 months ago

tomorrow i am planning to go to a hiring fair type thing set up at a local hotel for a new bed, bath and beyond that is opening in the area. does anyone have any advice they would like to share? they are apparently supposed to do immediate interviews. thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

DonGiovanee in Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey

56 months ago

Hey "deathinlove" or anyone else that reads this... just curious: what is the standardized procedure for training all field-level sales associates at BB&B? Is it primarily done through reading company collateral & buddy training, or are there other ways in which they go about this? It seems like if they had a universal, consistent, and engaging approach to product knowledge, company standards, selling techniques, customer service etc. - they might not have such "diversified" employee sentiments (?)
Thanks for any & all information on this!!

DonGiovanee in Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey

56 months ago

Greg Lange in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: I have been with Bed Bath and Beyond 7 years and yes they expect alot out of you, but we do not want to hire Lazy people but sometimes they get through. This is a company that you can think for yourself! (no plannograms). Please people who cant think for yourself or cant work hard please do not Apply! Bed Bath and Beyond is the greatest company to work for if you like tasks and self accomplishment!

Hey Greg... just curious: what is the standardized procedure for training all field-level sales associates at BB&B? Is it primarily done through reading company collateral & buddy training, or are there other ways in which they go about this? It seems like if they had a universal, consistent, and engaging approach to product knowledge, company standards, selling techniques, customer service etc. - they might not have such "diversified" employee sentiments (?)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Orimattila in Northbrook, Illinois

55 months ago

Greg Lange in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: I have been with Bed Bath and Beyond 7 years and yes they expect alot out of you, but we do not want to hire Lazy people but sometimes they get through. This is a company that you can think for yourself! (no plannograms). Please people who cant think for yourself or cant work hard please do not Apply! Bed Bath and Beyond is the greatest company to work for if you like tasks and self accomplishment!

BBB does have a POG and it's spelled: “Plan–O–Gram” or “Planogram.” BBB POG Mantra: “Keep shelves filled to overflowing (with what ever is in the stock room!”)
This stocking philosophy is due to lack of real time POS update between the store and the replenishment center.
Further, it forces the Customer to seek out an Associate to see if an item is in the stock room / available. After countless trips to the stocking area, YES! The Associate will get tired and also unable to complete daily assignments and give the impression of lazy which is wrong.

That said: I am looking for a part time position. I don't NEED to work - I WANT to work.
I like shopping at BBB. The sales people I encounter are always wonderful and if I need their assistance, I try to keep it happy and fun for both of us.
But every time I go into the local BBB, it’s a new crew - Sad.

"Task Specific / self accomplishments" is oh so 70's
"Achieving Store Metrics" is the reality of today's Retail Biz

Orimattila

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

deathinlove in Florida

54 months ago

DonGiovanee in Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey said: Hey "deathinlove" or anyone else that reads this... just curious: what is the standardized procedure for training all field-level sales associates at BB&B? Is it primarily done through reading company collateral & buddy training, or are there other ways in which they go about this? It seems like if they had a universal, consistent, and engaging approach to product knowledge, company standards, selling techniques, customer service etc. - they might not have such "diversified" employee sentiments (?)

Depending on which department you work in, you will receive basic training in customer service and bridal. Then you will receive register training. Once again, depending your position. It may be basic, or it may be supervisor training. After that, you will receive product training. All consultants and management are required product training on every department in the store. It's very established and very consistent, but it's up to each store to properly implement the system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

letssuebbb in Maryland

52 months ago

Hi folks. I am a department manager at BBB. Our pay structure is that the more hours we wok, the less we get paid per hour. This is against the law. BBB is required to be paid time and a half for ALL hours worked over 40. I am getting together a class action lawsuit against BBB for this practice. Not that I mind the hours, I just want to get paid for working them.

If you are a former or current Department Manager at BB and would like to be involved, please contact me at letssuebbb@gmail.com. I will respond with more detail, and all responses will be confidential.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Please do not reply this 'phishing rouse' post
If you have a pay check issue with BBB (or any employer) please contact a local labor attorney.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

letssuebbb in Maryland

52 months ago

This is not a phishing issue. I AM in contact with a labor attorney, and am inviting others to make their voice heard, if they desire. I spoke first to my HR at the district level, they could not or would not explain to me how I get paid. They quoted something about "co-efficient pay", and could not or would not elaborate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

I have seen lots of these posts to 'contact me!'
Most were unethical rouses

Since you are already in contact with a labor attorney, please facilitate the process and post contact info with the labor attorney you are working with, including license #

Thank You

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

letssuebbb in Maryland

52 months ago

I'll discuss it with the attorney, and see if we are ready to make those details public.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

letssuebbb in Maryland

52 months ago

Orimattila in Northbrook, Illinois said: I have seen lots of these posts to 'contact me!'
Most were unethical rouses

Since you are already in contact with a labor attorney, please facilitate the process and post contact info with the labor attorney you are working with, including license #

Thank You

Samuel Deskin
Deskin Law Firm, a professional law corporation

1020 S Sherbourne Dr., Suite 204

Los Angeles, CA 90035

This forum does not allow me to post phone numbers. Please contact me directly and I can pass off phone numbers, once I verify you do work at BBB.

letssuebbb in Maryland

52 months ago

We figured out how BBB pays us. They take the total hrs worked, divide by our "salary" and come up with a "base rate". They then divide the base rate IN HALF and apply that to the hrs we work over 40. So, instead of time and a half, they pay us "half time", or less, for overtime. No wonder they are so profitable......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

letssuebbb in Maryland

52 months ago

I just ran some numbers. BBB makes an additional 20-30 MILLION dollars a YEAR by not paying its managers overtime. Assuming each manager works 50-55 hrs a week, 3 managers per store and 800 stores. Last 5 years have cost me an estimated $62000 in lost overtime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shoot me now in Framingham, Massachusetts

47 months ago

I could write a very long explanation of the many reason not to work for this company, but the horrible reviews below tell my story exactly. If you valve your mental sanity don't ever consider this company.

Not letting employees drink water, and making you ask to relieve yourself in the restroom are many of the things Bed Bath & Beyond does to mistreat it's employees, and take away every ounce of self-respect you have. I have to fight myself to comeback from lunch breaks on most days, not to mention being so stressed out I can't look for a different job on my days off.

I'm a college student so thankfully I have a way out, but I pray for those who are stuck there and don't want to be.

JUST KEEP THE UNEMPLOYMENT IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Belle in Seaside, California

45 months ago

letssuebbb in Maryland said: I just ran some numbers. BBB makes an additional 20-30 MILLION dollars a YEAR by not paying its managers overtime. Assuming each manager works 50-55 hrs a week, 3 managers per store and 800 stores. Last 5 years have cost me an estimated $62000 in lost overtime.

Generally Managers work on salary classified as "exempt", ie. u salary is pd regardless of # of hours.If UR are classified as a non-exempt salary person,then your salary is based on a 40hr work week, & any over the 40 should be paid at time&half,recent changes in FED labor laws & LLs vary by state as to the computations on that.Here in CA the laws are more pro-employee,allowing for OT for hrly or non-exempt any over 8hrs in a day OR 40hrs in a work wk to qualify for OT.(In other words you could work only 3 days/wk @ 10 hrs ea day would still net u 6 hrs of OT pay.I believe in most other states however the 40 hrs/wk is the benchmark)But regardless no state that I've worked in pays OT for managers w/exempt salaries(there is generally a "management" test that coincides with the determination of exempt vs non-exempt salary designations.Your state Industrial Relations web site(&Labor code) should provide u with applicable laws for your state.)But it if u were a "store manager" it doesn't sound to me like any laws have been broken nor does a 50 hr week for retail management especially @ a big box store w/extended hours doesn't sound unreasonable.
After 20 yrs in retail management,13 yrs of that in a 100,000 sq ft multi-millions annual sales, big box store, I can realistically say found once u had the right people in the right positions with the right knowledge & job ethics & a detailed, prioritized "to-do list"(which generally was about 120% of what u expected could get done,in case they had to abandon some task due to an unforseen issue,they had another to take its place).Many weeks you can effciently complete ur work in 40 hours,w/strong middle mgmt.
Belle

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Belle in Seaside, California

45 months ago

Belle in Seaside, California said: Generally Managers work on salary classified as "exempt",i.e.ur salary is pd regardless of # of hours.If UR are classified as non-exempt salary,then ur salary is based on a 40hr work wk,& any over the 40 should be pd at time&half,recent changes in FED labor laws & LLs vary by state as to the computations on that.Here in CA the laws are more pro-employee,allowing for OT for hrly or non-exempt any over 8hrs in a day OR 40hrs in a work wk to qualify for OT.(In other words you could work only 3 days/wk @ 10 hrs ea day would still net u 6 hrs of 1 1/2OT pay.I believe in most other states however 40hrs/wk is the benchmark)But regardless no state that I've worked in pays OT for managers w/exempt salaries(there is generally a "management" test that coincides with the determination of exempt vs non-exempt salary designations.Your state Industrial Relations web site(&Labor code) should provide u with applicable laws for your state.)But it if u were a "store manager" it doesn't sound to me like any laws have been broken nor does a 50 hr week for retail management especially @ a big box store w/extended hours doesn't sound unreasonable.....ETC ETC
Belle

Please excuse missed keys resulting in typos as in efficiently etc.
Mean mgmt>not needed & unprodutive. Bottom Line=store manager is a "responsible" position,if it's right,or wrong,U R Responsible! And generally,depending on store size/vol,ur education & experience etc.salary pd.SHOULD reflect the expectation of ur working 40hrs+/wk some wks.But providing through training & CROSS-training,respect & consideration for ur employees is paramount.I never asked my employees to do any job I hadn't done or wouldn't do,& I Never ok'd them to work "off the clock" since that is a violation of the Labor Code,i.e."the law".Creative & Efficient scheduling& adequate #'s of PT employees also help prevent need for OT,but if neccessity,report it& payit,get the job done,on time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kittyhotblue@yahoo.com in Nolanville, Texas

43 months ago

Omg, to whoever it was that was saying that they work at a Bed Bath and Beyond and are dissapointed with the 20% employee discount, I am totally with you on that!!! Everyone and their moms come into the store I work at with a coupon expired or not. You're right, it's almost as if everyone is an employee because literally 9 out of 10 people that come in have a coupon. And to add to what you said about being thrown on a register with little training and being yelled at for making mistakes I can also sympathize with that because I was put through the same thing. Even one of the employees told me on the down-low that at Bed Bath and Beyond, you have to teach yourself things because they sure as hell won't teach you. Not to mention the fact that my store manager is completely immature and lacks the social skills for even being a manager in the first place. He undermines me, disrespects me, and gives off an unprofessional sarcasm when speaking to me. It makes me feel bad about myself and to be honest...I believe it is because I am a young 18 year old girl(women)...whatever. He never takes me serioiusly even when I desperately need him to be. He thinks that because I'm a girl...fairly small, that I am incapable of doing even the simplest tasks...what a jerk!!!!! All in all, I am really not satisfied with my job at Bed Bath and Beyond and although I work there and would like to defend them on all these negative things that have been said about them....I can't....because they're true!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kmldodge in Boca Raton, Florida

42 months ago

I have an interview with BBB tomorrow. I was wondering what the starting and or average wage is for a part time sales associate and or cashier. Also, what can I expect at this interview? Please leave out any negative information because I need this job and would like to hate it as little as possible lol :). Thanks so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle 238 in Baltimore, Maryland

41 months ago

Shoot me now in Framingham, Massachusetts said: I could write a very long explanation of the many reason not to work for this company, but the horrible reviews below tell my story exactly. If you valve your mental sanity don't ever consider this company.

Not letting employees drink water, and making you ask to relieve yourself in the restroom are many of the things Bed Bath & Beyond does to mistreat it's employees, and take away every ounce of self-respect you have. I have to fight myself to comeback from lunch breaks on most days, not to mention being so stressed out I can't look for a different job on my days off.

Ha ha. Your experience sounds just like mine. I had a store manager who actually yelled at a woman (cashier) for going to the bathroom which was only 15 feet from her register. It wasn't busy. It was a weekday morning, so there was no excuse for his behavior. We had to hide water from him at our registers b/c we weren't allowed to drink.

I called corporate HR to complain about this same store manager. He promoted a teenaged girl that he slept with. The HR person gave me an attitude. She sounded like a teenaged girl. Her response was, "It's no ones business. Why should we care?" I told her b/c for one, it's illegal, and two, all the employees are being mistreated, and the store manager is having sex with an under-aged girl. She repeated that it's no one's business and there's nothing they will do. When I went to get dept. mgr. training at the regional training store, I realized this was a corporate-wide culture with them. One of the married regional managers of something something was rubbing up one of the female employees who was at least 15 years younger than him. Just a disgusting company culture.

BBB is extremely sexist. There are very very few female store managers. There are a lot of female dept. mgrs, though, b/c they get abused, forced to work insane hours with no compensation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

When I was an hourly associate, I found out that the office manager was directed to subtract hours worked from our clock-ins. If we worked through lunch, she would add a 30 min. lunch that we never took. If we only took a 20 min. lunch, she would make it 30. If we worked overtime, sometimes it would get taken away as if we never worked the overtime.

BBB has different agreements with each vendor where BBB can get credit or partial credit (depending on the agreement) for damaged or returned items. BBB would get directed by the company to destroy the item so that we wouldn't have to send it back, then BBB gets credit. The 2 store managers I worked for (different store locations) would never destroy the merchandise. Instead, they stuck it on the discount rack to sell it, AFTER they got credit from the vendor for it being supposedly unsellable. They are an extremely unethical company. They even got sued for it and reached a settlement, and they STILL continue to do that, even with stuff from the very company that sued them!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Be careful about any food you buy there. I remember once, there was a recall on some nut products b/c some were found with worms in it. Yes, WORMS. We were instructed by corporate to pull them all off the shelves. My store manager looked at the jars, said he didn't see any worms, and kept them for sale. Remember, I contacted corporate myself about this manager, and they didn't care. They will just say they sent out the instructions and the store manager didn't follow them. Well, they were made aware, and failed to take actions. You can bet they didn't keep records of such complaints.

Employees aren't trained like grocery workers to pull older food to the front when they're restocking shelves, so expired food often stays on the shelf. Watch for it. I remember once a woman came in angry b/c a can of peanuts she bought was stale and she wanted to return it. Of course, BBB returned it, but it shouldn't have been selling stale food in the first place, now should they?

41 months ago

noway in brooklyn, New York said: Maybe someone should call the department of labor and let them know there break practices. 30min breaks for 12-16 hr shifts is against the law. Better yet who is spotting the ladders when you climb them? NO ONE!

BBBY gets away with what they can. I've seen their best practices manual. They have lists of the states that have laws saying that employees are required to have two 15 min. breaks in addition to their lunch break. The employees of states that don't have the extra break requirements aren't extended the same courtesy. BBBY does the bare minimum that the law requires for their employees on paper (officially), and unofficially, they don't even give them what they ARE entitled to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

I apologize for the multiple posts, but there is so much to tell about them, and I keep remembering additional things.

They love to hire people and categorize them as "part-time" so that they don't have to give them any benefits like health insurance, but consistently schedule them for full-time hours.

Another tidbit about a specific employee I just remembered. We had an employee who was hugely pregnant, and she was assigned as a door greeter, so she was sitting on a tall stool, so it made her at the same height a if she were standing up. That wasn't good enough. The district manager came for a visit, saw her sitting on the stool, and told the store manager to tell her she can't be sitting down. This is the way they treat their employees!

Department managers are nothing but glorified hourly associates. They do almost exactly the same things, but they can get away with working them for 16 hours without having to pay them overtime b/c they are salaried. I believe there was a class-action lawsuit against them for this practice about 10 years ago. I don't know what ever came of that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

stopwhining in Blacksburg, Virginia

40 months ago

I'm not sure where the complaints are coming from. I can imagine that the majority of people who are posting here have 'issues' with most other places they worked in the past. Does BB&B request a good deal from their workers? Yes. Is it unreasonable, no. I started as a part time employee, began receiving full time, and have just been promoted to an assistant manager. In less than a year. The district staff, for the most part, is a pleasure to work with. Do they ride our asses with expectations and dog us when we've messed up? Yes. But I've been in retail management for Nautica and J. Crew in the past, and it is not different. Working in malls, I know that the others stores district crews expected the same of them. If you are a hard worker, an honest person, ambitious, and eager to move up in a debt-free company, then I would recommend Bed Bath and Beyond. And as to the gentleman who insinuated that those of us who work there, and have for a while, are brain damaged and horrible spellers---it's dangerous to lump everyone into one assumed group. It has a tendency to make you seem like the ignorant one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

The Disgruntled Employee in San Leandro, California

40 months ago

his company has the most skewed policies Ive ever encountered.

Clocking out during a 10 minute break? Mandatory searches when entering/exiting the building? Its "inconsiderate" to rope off a register when its time for a cashier to leave? Its "rude" to do closing announcements? Ive questioned about all this to my manager and she gave me an awkward stare, as if this is supposed to be standard. Well, not at the places I worked at. By the way, isn't it illegal to be called to your register during your break/lunch? Cause uh...that happened yesterday, and I got written up for not obeying.

Whatever happened to the universal polices that all retail stores abide to? This company has problems.

40 months ago

I hate putting on this fake facade, pretending that I'm this joyful person when Im constantly being lectured, scolded or broken down for the most trivial things. I got written up cause they "assumed" I was combing my hair on the job when I was just scratching my cheek. I got written up, for not showing up on a day I requested off a MONTH in advance. I got written up for not keeping my receipts organized even though the lines were busy and I didn't have time to attend to them. Ive learned that you cant breathe logic into this people or even explain yourself. They're corporate robots that are devoid of emotion who only care about profit and you're just another drone to them.

I'm just trying to survive and brave through this drudgery until I find a better position. It sadly has taken its toll on my sanity to where I welcome the idea of being unemployed. At least then, I'd have leisure time to search for something better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

I'm LUCKY if BBB even gives me a lunch break let alone a 10 minute break. There were a number of occasions where I politely asked my manager if I can go on break and she rudely responded "you can go, when I feel like it." Or when its a certain time to leave say...8pm. She'll pull this: "Ill tell you when its 8pm." Seriously? Why are the managers so power driven to where they abuse their authority like that? It doesn't show professionalism, courtesy, or even integrity.
Ive been with the company for 3 months and I can sympathize with all the negative comments. The second I punch the clock, Im walking into a dictatorship. Im constantly on my toes, avoiding any type of consequence my manager dispenses and it frustrates me to no end. I wanna quit, but I need the income =(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

letssuebbb in Maryland

38 months ago

They are required by law to supply you with a COMPLETE copy of your employee file upon request at termination. Put it in writing, submit it via e-mail to HR. They are legally able to charge you for copying, but when I asked for mine, I had it in 3 days via Fed-Ex

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.