Can you negotiate your salary during the GM interview?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

jacknick in Yes, Delaware

54 months ago

i have no idea if i can or if i should if they offer me something low, what do you guys think

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

evang in Northeast, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

It is negotiable, but very iffy how they decide your pay. I know people who preform worse than myself, at the same exact position, who get paid a dollar or more an hour just because they had past experience in retail or were better at negotiating than myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ryan in Long Beach, Mississippi

47 months ago

yeah it all boils down to experience, i've had almost 2 years experience working retail 1 job being an unloader. If you have experience that's what helps your starting pay. Not all places are like this but most (big chains)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

joke in West Chester, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

If you negotiate in a professional manner and its not astronomically high they might be accommodating if you have the experience to back it up. i wouldn't go higher than 1-1.50 higher than their offer or you might come across wrong. Big retail stores like this will always low ball you. I got offered 8.75 at another store and made my argument very clear and calm and got it upped to 9.75. which still sucks but for a part time job its ok.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

swhmetta in austin, Texas

37 months ago

The person is asking about a GM position. This is close to a $100k a year position. The negotiating is different from someone making an hourly wage. To answer your question, which by now is too dated. However, it may help someone else. I just accepted a position. I didn't negotiate. The offer was fair. However, you always have that thought in the back of your mind, that I should have asked for more. All they can say is no. Thus, I am kicking myself for not asking. They caught me off guard and literally woke me up from a nap. I just said "great! I accept!".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jj in Antioch, Tennessee

9 months ago

swhmetta in austin, Texas said: The person is asking about a GM position. This is close to a $100k a year position. The negotiating is different from someone making an hourly wage. To answer your question, which by now is too dated. However, it may help someone else. I just accepted a position. I didn't negotiate. The offer was fair. However, you always have that thought in the back of your mind, that I should have asked for more. All they can say is no. Thus, I am kicking myself for not asking. They caught me off guard and literally woke me up from a nap. I just said "great! I accept!".

This helped me very much so. May I ask what position you applied to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.