How To: Get Hired and Fired at Best Buy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

FDLEPatrol in Orlando, Florida

62 months ago

As soon as you read the job descriptions, and fully confident that you are the right candidate for the position, apply. To increase your chances of getting a phone call, apply to two positions, if they are available. Managers want someone that is willing to try something new, and is trainable.

You will be asked a series of questions including: Past Employers, Current Address, References, and Education History. This is a given, answer it correctly. If you're chosen to have your employers called, you will automatically be DQ'ed from the hiring process.

Towards the end, you'll take what is called a "Candidate Suitability Personality Test." This measures if you're trainable, honest, calm, and again, trainable. There are three levels that are color coded, and this is what the hiring managers see when they pull your application up.

Green - Hireable! Trainable! (Resume Attached.)
Yellow - Neutral - Last resort (Resume Attached.)
Red - Flagged for Deletion. Un-hireable (RESUME IS NOT ATTACHED. THEY CAN NOT ACCESS IT.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (108) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Personality Test Tips:

The test wants to find out how good you can make up your mind. They don't want someone that is in between, when answering: Strongly Agree, Agree, Disagree, Strongly Disagree. If you agree to a question, Strongly Agree, if you don't choose Strongly Disagree. Plain and simple. I'm not going to tell you how to answer these questions, because the test is that easy, and god forbid I help someone that unsuited for the job, get the job.

Interviewing Phase:

First Interview - This is usually on the phone. I've never heard of a case where they call you in for the first interview, they want to see if you're a okay character first, in order to come in and speak with a manager reading the position. First impression counts. Loud noises, bad telephone feeds, slurring of speech are all killing factors, and may break you.

Second Interview - So you made it past the phone interview, they are giving you a shot to sell yourself to a manager at the store. This isn't hard to do, just need to know how to answer questions truthfully, quickly, and at least with experienced responses. Some cases, if you past this with flying colors, and a manager is available, you'll get the GM interview, and pay/drug testing is talked about then.

Third Interview - GM interview. So the managers like you, the GM has to like you as well. Besides, they make sure your paycheck arrives on time every week. You need to make them look good! BBY is a results driven company. Pass this, the GM will either call you back later or offer you the job on the spot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (123) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

bigboy20124 in Temperance, Michigan said: What do you mean?

Why would you be disqualified if they call your past employers?

Isn't that a sign that they are looking to hire you/like you?

"IF YOU DON'T ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS TRUTHFULLY, ABOUT YOUR POSITION, AND TERMINATION REASON"

That's what I wanted to add to the end. Sent an e-mail to the admins.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda Fernandez in Teaneck, New Jersey

61 months ago

hey i wanted to ask more about the interview. The interview with the manager and with the general manager, does it happen in the same day or will you get a call or the manager will tell u on the spot when your going to have your second interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Zeke27 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

60 months ago

My second and third interviews were within the same hour, but it varies.
They passed me along because of experience and an open schedule- all online courses through college.
I am also 17.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Amanda Fernandez in Teaneck, New Jersey said: hey i wanted to ask more about the interview. The interview with the manager and with the general manager, does it happen in the same day or will you get a call or the manager will tell u on the spot when your going to have your second interview?

Sometimes it's same day, sometimes it's split into same week, and some times it's split into one interview in a week, the other next week. All stores reserve the right to do it their way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

iamturtle101 in Long Beach, California

59 months ago

do you know when would be the right time to disclose a medical ailment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

NeenZ in Boca Raton, Florida

59 months ago

I would like to say that my first interview was in person. I was called into the location, and the same day I did my second and third, was sent to do my drug test, then called in to do paperwork the next day. I knew half of the staff already though, so it was probably a bit different for me.
But I've noticed with our store a lot of first interviews are called in then followed up on, depending on which department(s) they applied for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yanet bellaOrxy in Fresno, California

55 months ago

how many times can i take the best buy test? Am i allowed only once and do i have to answer it within a certain time? I applied today but only applied for one position. Can i reapply again for two positions to increase my chance of getting selected? please get back to me someone i will gladly appreciate it!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

yanet bellaOrxy in Fresno, California

55 months ago

FDLEPatrol in Orlando, Florida said: As soon as you read the job descriptions, and fully confident that you are the right candidate for the position, apply. To increase your chances of getting a phone call, apply to two positions, if they are available. Managers want someone that is willing to try something new, and is trainable.

You will be asked a series of questions including: Past Employers, Current Address, References, and Education History. This is a given, answer it correctly. If you're chosen to have your employers called, you will automatically be DQ'ed from the hiring process.

Towards the end, you'll take what is called a "Candidate Suitability Personality Test." This measures if you're trainable, honest, calm, and again, trainable. There are three levels that are color coded, and this is what the hiring managers see when they pull your application up.

Red - Flagged for Deletion. Un-hireable (RESUME IS NOT ATTACHED. THEY CAN NOT ACCESS IT.)

I READ ALL YOU POST AND SOUND LIKE YOU KNOW ALOT, BY ANY CHANCE WERE U A MANAGER THERE??? HOW DO YOU KNOW ALL THIS!!!! =D THANKS HAPPY HOLIDAYS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Monte Mendoza in Mesa, Arizona

51 months ago

FDLEPatrol in Orlando, Florida said: Pass the drug test and background check (this is done with choice point, basically tells them if you're wanted or have any felonies, and in some cases, Credit Checks for Money Handling positions) you will be called in for Orientation with a "Class."

You will be on a 90 day probation period.
Everything you say, can, and will be used against you.

How to get fired, before probation:
{x} Frequent Tardiness
{x} Theft (will get you arrested as well)
{x} Falsifying Documents (time sheets)
{x} Low Numbers, untrainable, all around terrible.
{x} Harassment
{x} Failure to arrive to Saturday Team Meetings
{x} Customer Complaints
{x} They found someone better.

I wish all of you the best of luck. This company is the best company to work for. Everyone is family, Game Night (varies by store) is amazing, and if you came to the city/state with no friends, you're leaving with 70 of them on your facebook! Young crowed, adults, you'll sometimes have a hard time fitting in, but it's nothing but love in the end.

Please, if you think this article was a bit helpful, click the YES next to "Was this comment helpful?".

If additional questions want to be asked, but not posted on here, I'll leave my facebook or myspace for additional help.

CURRENT BEST BUY EMPLOYEES, FEEL FREE TO CHIME IN! I'LL MAKE ALL REVISIONS NECESSARY FOR UP TO DATE INFORMATION!

Regards,
WaddyF.

FDLEPatrol: your posts are some of the BEST I have read anywhere on the internet. I have been on the WWW since 2000. Your posts are so informative and helpful. I love the detail that you have in your posts. I almost feel as though I have worked for Best Buy. If I were to apply at BB, I would definitely feel more prepared because of your excellent input in this Indeed forum. Thanks a million.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (85) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Le grand in Springfield Gardens, New York

40 months ago

FDLEPatrol in Orlando, Florida said: As soon as you read the job descriptions, and fully confident that you are the right candidate for the position, apply. To increase your chances of getting a phone call, apply to two positions, if they are available. Managers want someone that is willing to try something new, and is trainable.

i was fired from best buy because my drawer was short too many times as a cashier.. No i wasnt stealing, but aparantly i couldnt count...lol....anyways i became a manager at a radioshack and would like to return to best buy....how can i go about doing so?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

herpderp in Anderson, Indiana

37 months ago

Le grand in Springfield Gardens, New York said: i was fired from best buy because my drawer was short too many times as a cashier.. No i wasnt stealing, but aparantly i couldnt count...lol....anyways i became a manager at a radioshack and would like to return to best buy....how can i go about doing so?

Best bet is to know a manager, if you get fired a GM can still rehire you no matter what, unless you did something illegal, but a short drawer, being late etc can all get you rehired. Its dumb really, best buy has all these rules and theyre only enforced on people the managers dont like. The operations mgr would print out my writeups for being late (over 7 mins) and my manager the CSM would throw them away and then go write up someone else for the same thing because he didnt like them. I got one write up when I worked at best buy for being late. I got an informal warning with my lates stapled to the back page and "unacceptable" wrote on it, it was for 63 shifts of being late more than 7 mins, aka every shift almost from sept until dec lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jean Luis Urena in Scarsdale, New York

35 months ago

**My location is Bronx, NY***

I have had my first interview a couple days ago, but the manager just said he will call if I turn out to be one of the "best" and if I dont he simply wont call.

I am 17 with tons of experience for someone my age, and I am very technical but I think I choked a little during the interview... so my question is do you think the manager will call me, or do they tell you to come in for a second interview the same day?

I really want to work in Best Buy, I LOVE THAT STORE!!

It was the Best Buy in 5th Avenue and 44th Street in Manhattan New york.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cosmogirl in White Hall, Arkansas

20 months ago

Friday 10/19/2012 I applied for Best Buy as a cashier online.
Saturday 10/20/2012 I received a phone call and had a brief phone interview.
Monday 10/23/2012 I had a interview in person with a supervisor. Everything went very well, I answered the questions just fine. And at the end of the interview, she said that I should get a call in about a week(but probably sooner) about setting up a interview with the general manager. She shook my hand once again and said that she was looking forward to the opportunity of seeing me there again.
What does this mean? Does this mean I passed the second interview or do they say that to everyone? I have looked online and most the people that did not get past the second interview said that they were told the person would have to talk with the hiring manager. She did not say that at the end of my interview. So does this mean that I will probably get a call back?
Also, I have no retail experience, I have 9 months of customer service though. I live in Arkansas by the way. So could someone tell me what a good starting pay would be? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cf in Dayton, Ohio

13 months ago

I just got a job offer from best buy. I have two 6 year old misdemeanor from 2007. Marijuana related. I also have a disorderly conduct from 2010. Do you think these will prevent me from getting hired? Do they only care about felony?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

cruegirl in Salt Lake City, Utah

13 months ago

Hey, just out of curiosity what method of drug testing does BBY use? Urine or Mouth Swab? If urine testing is used is the Employer required to witness the deed or do they give the applicant privacy when handling their business? I'm also wondering if its random testing or just required for pre-employment or workmen's comp claims. For anyone with raised eyebrows; Calm Down !! Killers!!! I personally am a very firm believer in working hard for and actually earning my paycheck and prefer not to attend work under the influence of alcohol or any substance what-so-ever. At he same time here's the flip side ....... As an adult American Woman anything outside of work is in no way my employers concern. After a long day what I choose to do with my free time is my agenda even if its just chillin for a bit and unwinding for a few:) :) :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cruegirl in Salt Lake City, Utah

13 months ago

Cf in Dayton, Ohio said: I just got a job offer from best buy. I have two 6 year old misdemeanor from 2007. Marijuana related. I also have a disorderly conduct from 2010. Do you think these will prevent me from getting hired? Do they only care about felony?

I could be wrong, theres a 1st time for everything but it seems most employers are mainly concerned with Felony Charges, Assault Charges or acts of Violence. Also anything along the lines of embezzlement, theft or fraud probably aren't the best things to put in bold print on your resume but at the same time, Life happens and people make mistakes..Thats unfortunately at times how some of us choose to learn and hopefully grow and become better people. You gotta respect someone who is honest upfront, faces obstacles, breaks barriers. Learning from past experiences, coming out stronger and making oneself better is something to be respected and admired in my book. That personal often has the potential to become the strongest member of the team. Geez, one could think you had committed murder with the way I'm elaborating here but for real just be honest and share what you've learned or something that's become a positive/your interviewer and you'll be great:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ty in Frisco, Texas

12 months ago

Okay so I applied twice months ago for the position of Cashier. I never heard anything back both times I applied but I did choose in between on the personality test. I am going to try and reapply for two or three BB's in my area but I have looked online and have not found any position's available for the stores in my area. Does this mean they are not currently hiring? Should I just go ahead and talk to a manager about it or go up to the store and talk to the manager face to face? I really want to get a job at Best Buy. I work at Taco Bell right now and I only have a little over two months of customer service expierence. Will that keep me from getting a job at BB? Also when I applied in the past I had not had any job expierence. Thank you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

uneased in Stockton, California

11 months ago

I cant figure out what yellow means on background they want more info but from were and no one says anything hr or hiring mgr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

uneased in Stockton, California

11 months ago

I cant figure out what yellow means on background no one will say any thing hr or hireng mgr need more info but from who back ground still prcessing its been 9 days

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

WillPGee in Rolla, Missouri

9 months ago

This info was really helpful but, I am a case where I was automatically called in for an interview. There was no over the phone. I figure that this might be because that I have applied for a management role with the company with possibly an impressive resume. With having stated that I'm not sure how this will play out but, I am confident that it is in my favor.

DM

9 months ago

Can I get a job with a 4th degree misdemeanor in Menacing????

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.