Is this normal?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

deoxide2012 in La Puente, California

28 months ago

I went for an interview for mobile manager trainee position a week ago and was told that they were only interviewing for part time mobile sales reps at this location. The interviewer was nice and honestly seemed genuinely as confused, bewildered and embarrassed by the situation as I was.

I have 11years background in retail mgmt and a degree in Bus Mgmt on my resume and when he took a look down he apologized several times and got very uncomfortable. He said he was sorry and that he didnt want to waste my time and said he would continue with interview for part time sales rep if I wanted to or he could end it due to my background and seeing that I was clearly overqualified for the spot. I asked him how this could happen when the only job posting they even have is for mobile mgr position and he said I was the 2nd person that day alone that this has happened to that day.

He said basically that when corporate sends them a list of qualified candidates to fill a position they need at the store, the store's HR coordinator nor himself ( guessing mobile mgr or asst manager at least) are not shown what positions we applied for to begin with. I respectfully turned down the part time offer and left.

Is this normal? has this happend to anyone else? So the only way you can even get into bby is to take a part time position as a sales rep then work your way up? Seems almost like this is done on purpose, sort of like let's take a bunch of em and throw em on the wall and see what sticks kind of deal...as I'm sure there are a few who are overqualified who probably are desperate enough to take the part time spot although most like myself probably would turn it down but some probably do stick. Seems kind of shady to me but who knows...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.