How to get a job at Best Buy.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 1705)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

reee turner in Richmond, Virginia

77 months ago

reee turner in Richmond, Virginia said: O.K
I live in Richmond, Va and my mother and step-father insist that I work at Best Buy. I'm only 14 I am currently a freshman in highschool. Am I even old enough to get any kind of job at Best Buy?

Oh yeah if it helps any the SM used to work for my step-father at comcast.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

GeekSquadAgent in Surprise, Arizona

77 months ago

sorry but probably not..your age is a big factor. Even when i was 16 i had trouble getting a job. i start geek squad thursday got some questions.. Do the hours get better? right now i have 15 this week and 20 next week. Its not bad because i get 10.42 but i would like at least 30 a week. How long does it take to get to fulltime as well?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

NintyFresh in Rock Hill, South Carolina

77 months ago

So my current company is closing due to bankruptcy, where I was the help desk support. I applied to one Best Buy last week, and one that just opened yesterday. I haven't had any call backs yet, but I tried to call both stores today. The one didn't even pick up, and the one that just opened explained to me that it has to go through corporate, so I couldn't ask if I passed that personality test.

I don't know why I never get called in. I answer the personality test as to what an employee should do, and I'm a junior in college with a really open schedule. I just need to find a job so I can pay the bills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

NintyFresh in Rock Hill, South Carolina

77 months ago

NintyFresh in Rock Hill, South Carolina said: So my current company is closing due to bankruptcy, where I was the help desk support. I applied to one Best Buy last week, and one that just opened yesterday. I haven't had any call backs yet, but I tried to call both stores today. The one didn't even pick up, and the one that just opened explained to me that it has to go through corporate, so I couldn't ask if I passed that personality test.

I don't know why I never get called in. I answer the personality test as to what an employee should do, and I'm a junior in college with a really open schedule. I just need to find a job so I can pay the bills.

And of course, the day that I decide to complain about receiving nothing at all from calling them or vice-versa, I receive a call from a different Best Buy offering me a job (seasonal, but oh well). Got an interview with the manager of customer service tomorrow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rey dinapo in South San Francisco, California

77 months ago

rey dinapo in South San Francisco, California said: There is a Best Buy opening up near my area where I live. I applied online just about a week ago from last Friday. The Best Buy is still in construction, and I'm not sure when I should receive a call. How long should I wait before calling them and asking about my application status?

Thanks.

So I called them about two days ago asking if I passed the personality test. They said they would call me back later to answer my questions. I still didn't receive my call. I'm starting to worry that I didn't pass the unicru test at all.

Should I try to retake the test, or call them again tomorrow asking if I passed my test. I don't really want them to get annoyed my questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Greg in Sarasota, Florida

77 months ago

rey dinapo in South San Francisco, California said: So I called them about two days ago asking if I passed the personality test. They said they would call me back later to answer my questions. I still didn't receive my call. I'm starting to worry that I didn't pass the unicru test at all.

Should I try to retake the test, or call them again tomorrow asking if I passed my test. I don't really want them to get annoyed my questions.

You really have to bug these people. It's a retail store. Their really busy and they wont remember to call you. Also, if you didn't pass the test they're especially not going to contact you because you're unusable to them and so why should they bother?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

GeekSquadAgent in Surprise, Arizona

77 months ago

so far ive been working with geek squad for 3 days and its been so fun. everyones real cool and i love handling all these computer problems coming in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dean Guess in Ajax, Ontario

77 months ago

Vic in San Leandro, California said: Best Buy called me the day after I did their online application last week but I missed the call. Should I call back or just wait for them to call back?

yea you should call them back thats what i did and then they gave me a phone interview and now i have an interview tommorrow!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Louie Padilla in Texas

77 months ago

The hiring process took way too long for me to get in with the company. The 1st interview was with my current Supervisor, 2nd was with a gentleman who is a supervisor in a different department, and my 3rd was with the GM. I've been with Best Buy for almost a week. I am very impressed with the company so far. It truly is a fun atmosphere and most duties/tasks are team driven.

Something I can advise to people interested in applying with Best Buy is, be yourself. I know that sounds cliche but, if you try to be someone you're not, they will catch onto it quick. Nearly all of the staff I've met is in their early-mid 20's. Make sure you show up early to your interview(s)!! This is very important. I personally have always had the mentality that the interview process doesn't begin when you're face to face with the interviewer. It begins once you step out of your home. Think positive, be courteous to everyone you come in contact with, and stay sharp!

Best Buy does offer some nice incentives. All of which have been laid out on this board. I really would like to help some of you out if you have further questions so as long as time permits, I will be checking in here frequently.

Thanks!

LP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

I finally got in touch with and went through the interview process, and was hired. It's been 6 days since my drug test and sitll havn't heard anything.

Dean Guess in Ajax, Ontario

77 months ago

Danielle in Vero Beach, Florida said: I applied at Best Buy a while back and received a call within 24 hours to have an interview. The manager was late to interview me, and asked me the normal questions. Describe yourself. Describe your goals, etc. Then gave me a product and asked how I would try to sell a warranty on that product. (This was dumb). I passed with flying colors then found out the pay was something like 6.75 with no guarantee on hours. I asked if I could be promised 20 hours a week, she said the average part time associate gets a maximum of 12 hours a week..so if youre looking for a reliable paycheck..Dont bother

but last time i checked thats below min wage....

Louie Padilla in Texas

77 months ago

Don't panic Greg. It is quite possible that you will probably be brought in for orientation with a group of other folks. Plus, the background check can take a little more than your drug test. You do want to follow up with an MOD either in person or over the phone. Be patient and congrats on making it this far!

Louie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TB0NE10 in Wisconsin

77 months ago

Hi

I'm 17 and thinking of applying for a job at best buy soon. If I'd get a job there, how much will I be expected to work and when?

In Spring I have baseball and would probably not be able to work much at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Capo in Shreveport, Louisiana

77 months ago

I just applied for BB and I still havent got an answer yet. I tried checking on my application but they said they couldn't find it. So I kinda filled out 3 more and now I'm still waiting. Anyone have any ideas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Louie Padilla in Texas

77 months ago

TB0NE10 in Wisconsin said: Hi

I'm 17 and thinking of applying for a job at best buy soon. If I'd get a job there, how much will I be expected to work and when?

In Spring I have baseball and would probably not be able to work much at all.

Best Buy is very good when it comes to school and extracurricular activities. They work with your schedule and for the most part, you get your schedule up to 2 weeks in advance. I know about 5 employees who only come in on weekends. So that should tell you plenty about the production demands. Good luck and let us know how it goes buddy.
Capo in Shreveport, Louisiana said: I just applied for BB and I still havent got an answer yet. I tried checking on my application but they said they couldn't find it. So I kinda filled out 3 more and now I'm still waiting. Anyone have any ideas?

Follow up with a Manager on Duty. Call the store and ask to speak to a Manager. One may or may not be available, so it's recommended that you go up to the store and seek one out. Don't be afraid to do so, you'll look hungry and eager for a job. Not to shoot you down, but it is possible to fail at Unicru and not get a call back. It's always good to follow up with the store you applied for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Capo in Shreveport, Louisiana

76 months ago

Louie Padilla in Texas said: Best Buy is very good when it comes to school and extracurricular activities. They work with your schedule and for the most part, you get your schedule up to 2 weeks in advance. I know about 5 employees who only come in on weekends. So that should tell you plenty about the production demands. Good luck and let us know how it goes buddy.

Follow up with a Manager on Duty. Call the store and ask to speak to a Manager. One may or may not be available, so it's recommended that you go up to the store and seek one out. Don't be afraid to do so, you'll look hungry and eager for a job. Not to shoot you down, but it is possible to fail at Unicru and not get a call back. It's always good to follow up with the store you applied for.

Well, a cpuple of days later this lady called me and gave me a phone interview. She said that she would call me a couple days later after I answered those few questions. So today (Nov. 8) I tried to call them but the manager wasnt available and so i left them my name and number, but they still haven't called so I guess Ill try tomorrow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

xerocint in Houston, Texas

76 months ago

Hey, I've been searching for a job, and BB sounds like a good place for my first job (my only real alternatives are Walmart and Kroger's). I'll be turning sixteen soon, and was wondering if it is chill there and all. Thanks :)

76 months ago

Just got hired at Best Buy. I did the drug test and waited 3 weeks without hearing anything. I called them up only to find out the drug test place never filed my results. What a pain this has been. It's been two and a half months since I first applied online.

370GT in Clifton Park, New York

76 months ago

I'm applying for a position at Best Buy but I'm not sure on which position to choose on the online application. Basically I want to be a sales person in the TV or computer section. What position would that be under? Personal shopping assistant?

emelioestaves in Bradenton, Florida

76 months ago

Greg in Sarasota, Florida said: Just got hired at Best Buy. I did the drug test and waited 3 weeks without hearing anything. I called them up only to find out the drug test place never filed my results. What a pain this has been. It's been two and a half months since I first applied online.

I have the same situation right now Greg. I did my final interview at the new best buy on university in sarasota 2 weeks ago and did my drug test almost 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard from them. Called a couple times but managers are always busy and noone calls me back. I have a friend that works there that assures me if they gave me the drug test form and the job offer form with my pay and department than I have the job. Getting a little worried. Is this the same best buy that you just finally got hired after 3 weeks?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TJ Bowman in Canton, Ohio

76 months ago

Hey everyone,
I'm interested in applying at BB but from the comments posted so far I am a little weary of the hours. I already have a job working about 20 hrs a week. So I'm thinking maybe I should keep that job while applying for a job at BB. Will this cause schedule problems, or are they fairly flexible?

Another concern I have is that I do not have any work experience with technology. I've only had 2 jobs and they were both food service. I am currently delivering food to patients at a hospital. I DO have general knowledge of technology though. I am actually majoring in web design. So with all of that, will I still have a good chance at landing a job?

I hope my post isn't completely worthless and someone will be able to help me out! Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anthony W in Wooster, Ohio

76 months ago

Hi guys.

I did the online app. A lady called me and asked a few questions, and she also called one of my references.

Upon calling her today, she said she had given the application onto the managers. What precisely does that mean? Should I go to the store and follow up with them?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

TB0NE10 in Wisconsin

76 months ago

I applied a week ago and I havent got anything back yet......Should I apply again?

TB0NE10 in Wisconsin

76 months ago

The only thing that could be bad in my app was I didn't list a reference because I really don't have one besides teachers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nmeeder in Chico, California

75 months ago

I'm a sophomore, I am 15 and I am starting to think about a job to pay for a car and gas and things like that when I start driving (My mom tells me I will have to get a job to pay for that because she is not going to). I love computers and other tech, so I thought it was a good idea to possibly work at Best Buy. Because this would be a very first job of any kind outside of babysitting my little brother, how would I go about preparing and putting together a resume and references and things like that. Also, do you think I have a realistic chance at getting a job doing something there, with no experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mikeychini in New Jersey

74 months ago

Hello,

I applied last night for a posistion at my local best buy as i saw they are hiring...I am 18 and for an 18 year old like me this is a "dream job" lol. I really want this job. How long will it take for me to be contacted for an interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Koukla in Manteca, California

74 months ago

I applied to a BB that is opening up in February, I submitted my application and just got my call back interview today. I was asked to attend a group interview. Does anyone know how these go? Is it easier/harder? What kind of questions do I need to prepare myself for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sue in Newark, New Jersey

73 months ago

Are ther any interview guide for the supervisor position at best buy

Deven21 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

73 months ago

How old do i have to be to get a job at best buy in Minnesota? i see a lot of people saying 16, but do they make acceptions or does the age very at all?

movychik in Denver, Colorado

73 months ago

I am 15 going to be 16 in a copule of months.I want to work at Best buy but I dont know if it is a good company to work for.Plus I dont know if I can get the job at 16.I go to an online school so the work hours wouldent be a problem.Plus I was thinking about droping out of school.Should I apply ther or not because of my age and chances.No where I know they are hiring.

ChiquitaBiddle88 in Bellwood, Illinois

72 months ago

MC in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I work at HQ and it has a great corporate atmosphere that lives and preaches the values.

Retail is the heart of the organization and you can take one of those entry level jobs and grow with this company.

I have worked for Target HQ and while I really enjoyed my time and the opportunity it provided for my development, I wouldn't go back to Target if it meant leaving Best Buy.

YOU SOUND SO PHONY! DID THEY PAY YOU TO SAY THIS! GO WRITE A SCRIPT FOR AN INFOMERCIAL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Yay4MooCows in Branson, Missouri

72 months ago

Okay I have a quick question. There is a Best Buy opening next month in my area, and they are hiring.

I did the online interview/application (i think its weird how they consider it a first interview. But whatever)

Got the call to come in for the one on one interview about 24-48 hours after I applied online. It went really well, Chris said I had a great personality and some strong points and we even went off tangent a bit and got into a discussion about our dogs and his kids. He said i would hear back in 24-48 hours if I got to the "third" interview(or what I call the 2nd human interview)

1 week went by. Nothing. So I went down to the hiring center (They can't hire people in their store...considering it's not open yet). Chris was there and I asked about my status. He said he really appreciated me checking back, and that they were still going over everything and I would hear back on friday.

I got a call about 4 hours later while I was at my Chiropractor, asking me to come in for the interview.

Here's my question. Is this the interview with the GM where they tell me that I am hired? From what everyone is saying, the "third" interview means you're hired pretty much. So that is my question...is that what this "third" interview is?

What should I expect from this "third" interview? Please let me know. I go in on Thursday (day after tomorrow).

Also, are most of you getting part time positions? I really need full time with benefits. I literally JUST got a job at Build-A-Bear workshop. I haven't even had my first day there yet, but it is part time so I am hoping that Best Buy will offer me full time so I will only have to have one job and won't have to pay a buttload for private medical insurance. So are most of you getting part-time or full-time job offers? Thanks so much!

x Ace333 x in Spring, Texas

72 months ago

I'm in the same boat as you cows. I had the first human interview and they said i'll hear from them in 24-48 hours but still nothing but it's been 3 days now and still no call but i think i'll go up there and see whats up since it worked for you. Since i want that third interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Yeah I would go up there and just say you are still very interested in the job and would like to know what your status is.

I got the job by the way :) The third interview was basically a job offer, the GM asked like three stupid logical questions and then told me what I would get paid and had me sign the paperwork right there. I'm doing a drug test today!

Good luck Ace!

x Ace333 x in Spring, Texas

72 months ago

Thats good to know congrats cow well i'm on my way up there right now than to talk to them about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jayco in Montgomery, Alabama

72 months ago

ok, so i just had roudn 1 of interviews (or could tis be round 2?)

anyways, i was called in today for an interview, turned out to be a group panel interview with me and 3 other candidates.

we were asked questions by the Ops manager and 2 supervisors, things like background, previous work, favorite ceral then afterwards we ere sent out on a 15 minute "scavenger hunt" to ask associate questions like what careplus and edge stands for, company core values ect. along with trick questions on store staff.

then we did 1 on 1 interviews where we were told about round 2 being with the asst. manager and round 3 being with a store manager, if we get called back for the next interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

xerocint in Houston, Texas

72 months ago

I sent in my application last Sunday, and on Wednesday I got a call for an interview. The next day, my interviewer was the SM and once I was done with that I had an interview with the GM. He said he'd call within the next few days depending on whether or not I would be hired. What do you guys think I should do? Should I call, now that is has been 4 days?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Yes. Definitely call xerocint. Let them know you are still interested in the job. It would be best if you go into the store and speak with someone directly. It lets them know that you are serious, and willing to go out of your way to check your status. So yes...check back with them.

ren s in Memphis, Tennessee

72 months ago

I've seen people say that one of the questions they are asked in the interview for a Geek Squad position is if they've ever built a computer. Does anyone know if saying "no" affects your chances if you're otherwise able to demonstrate computer knowledge?

72 months ago

I just would like to say, I've had my first 2 orientation sessions at Best Buy. Granted, this store isn't even open yet, so I have no clue how it's going to run once we are open.

I've been hearing mixed opinions about working for best buy. I hear "best buy is great to work for!" or "best buy sucks monkeys don't work there!". I just have to say that I honestly think that every store will have a different work experience based on the manager's attitudes and the different types of people that have been hired. My managers, are amazing. The entire store is like one giant family, and the managers have been having us shout chants and all sorts of things to get all hyped up. I've never had an experience like this. I am really excited for the grand opening.

The first orientation lasted 8 hours. It consisted of 5 managers explaining how the store was going run, and how employees were going to be treated, etc. They also held prize drawings. For every question we asked, or every question we answered, we got a ticket. Then they used the tickets to give away Xbox 360's, Ipod nano's, Camcorders, Restaurant gift cards and other cool stuff. It was really fun, and the managers got us all pumped and made us shout and talk all day. They also paid for a caterer to bring lunch.

The 2nd orientation was at the actual store. We were separated into groups of 6, and took tours, learned how to answer the phones, operate the cardboard trash machine, etc. That lasted about 3 hours, then for another 4 hours, we set up the shelves that all the products sit on. Again, they paid for lunch. Pizza this time.

Honestly, so far I think this is a good company to work for, depending on your managers and co-workers. I do advise that you learn your stuff though. I am in the Media department, I really know my stuff when it comes to video games and music, so I am a good fit there. But other people in my department don't know squat, so they are going to have to learn it...and fast.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gator86 in Columbus, Georgia

72 months ago

I went to Best Buy for the job fair today. I got all three interviews done with today. The GM told me that I should expect a call tommorrow with a job offer. Should I expect one or is it just a way of saying no?

72 months ago

Gator86 in Columbus, Georgia said: I went to Best Buy for the job fair today. I got all three interviews done with today. The GM told me that I should expect a call tommorrow with a job offer. Should I expect one or is it just a way of saying no?

I've never been to a job fair, but I am assuming that BECAUSE you did all three interviews back-to-back that the GM was just trying to get it done as fast as possible because of having so many people to interview. When you get your job offer you have to sign a few papers and get your drug test paperwork. Did you see anyone else receiving drug test paperwork or signing hiring documents?

I would say that if the GM said to expect the call, that you should expect the call. If he said "You will receive a call if we decide to hire you" then that might be different. But if he said "You should expect to get a phone call tomorrow with a job offer" than i would say you're in.

Ryn Garcia in Fort Smith, Arkansas

70 months ago

I have my ears gauged to 1". Will that hinder me getting on the Geek Squad?

FDLEPatrol in Orlando, Florida

70 months ago

First Interview - Was skipped because I went in and asked about my application 24hrs later.
Second Interview - Week later, Spoke with Hiring Manager, who then interviewd me with a department manager. The department manager loved everything about me, and enjoyed talking to me. Left - 2 hours later, Got a call for the third interview.
Third Interview - GM - Told her I was continuing my education, I graduated police academy,ect. But something about her gave me a weird vibe, she had a straight face, and didnt smile as much as the other managers. She asked me if I had any questions for her, I said no, the other 2 managers answered everything. Did this make me look bad?

She said expect a call within the next couple of days. 24hrs gone by, and im already paranoid about not being chosen.

Can someone offer some comfort, and let me know if thats how the third interview is?

please and thanks.

Silke in Clarksville, Tennessee

70 months ago

So I applied for the geek squad position at BB 2 weeks ago. Did not hear from them. Did some research. Found this forum and thought maybe I did not pass this stupid test. So I applied again the day before yesterday and then went to BB yesterday afternoon and checked on my application. I was told that they did some internal hiring right now and will look at applications again in about 30 days. So I asked the guy if he could check if my application even went through and he said he can not check on that! WTF. Of course he did not look me in the eye the whole time he was talking to me. However, after reading this forum.....I am already in my early 30's so I probably don't have chance with them anyway. Well their loss. :-P lol

70 months ago

Your age has nothing to do with it Silke. Half the people at my store are age 40 or older. Only management has access to applications...did you ask to speak with the GM?

Silke in Clarksville, Tennessee said: So I applied for the geek squad position at BB 2 weeks ago. Did not hear from them. Did some research. Found this forum and thought maybe I did not pass this stupid test. So I applied again the day before yesterday and then went to BB yesterday afternoon and checked on my application. I was told that they did some internal hiring right now and will look at applications again in about 30 days. So I asked the guy if he could check if my application even went through and he said he can not check on that! WTF. Of course he did not look me in the eye the whole time he was talking to me. However, after reading this forum.....I am already in my early 30's so I probably don't have chance with them anyway. Well their loss. :-P lol

70 months ago

Yay4MooCows in Branson, Missouri said: Your age has nothing to do with it Silke. Half the people at my store are age 40 or older. Only management has access to applications...did you ask to speak with the GM?

Well I talked to a guy with a yellow shirt (not sure if the color of the shirt meant something) and told him I wanted to talk to someone to check on an application. He asked me when I submitted it and I said one yesterday and one 2 weeks ago. So he told me about the internal hiring and when I asked him again if he could check if my application went through he said there is no way to check. I wanted to say something....but then I let it go.

FDLEPatrol in Orlando, Florida

70 months ago

Yellow Shirt - Loss Prevention. Nothing to do with hiring. Sometimes managers wear it, but they dont stand in the front.

Yes, they can check your application, yes they can tell you if you failed it

70 months ago

FDLEPatrol in Orlando, Florida said: Yellow Shirt - Loss Prevention. Nothing to do with hiring. Sometimes managers wear it, but they dont stand in the front.

Yes, they can check your application, yes they can tell you if you failed it

Ok thanks. I will call in a couple of days if I don't hear from them and ask for a manager. See if I get through to one of them.

p8baller4life in San Antonio, Texas

70 months ago

Got a question for yall. I had my second interview today and I was wondering do most people get the third interview speaking I already passed my second interview today? At the third interview is this the final interview in which you will be asked questions and be told your hired or will they call you after the third interview with the GM?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.