Blockbuster News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (35)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Blockbuster stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

Peter in Corinth, Maine

114 months ago

This job is a joke!!!! Don't care about their people. It's all about up sale. For being such a small store they sure do hire alot. That should be a hint. Stay away from them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Corinth, Maine

114 months ago

Could not have said it better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lou in Seattle, Washington

114 months ago

This company is deeply in the red. The RVP I interviewed with is arogant and unproffesional. Interview candidates can expect little or no respect. He made me sit in his office while he carried on over the phone, ensuring that the conversation on his end screamed "I am a big shot". No thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

maggie in Corinth, Maine

114 months ago

Lou said: This company is deeply in the red. The RVP I interviewed with is arogant and unproffesional. Interview candidates can expect little or no respect. He made me sit in his office while he carried on over the phone, ensuring that the conversation on his end screamed "I am a big shot". No thanks.
When worked there the same stuff happened to me. one night the store manager calls and tells us she quit. A couple of minutes later the dm calls and tells us who don't stay to covers the rest of the day there fired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Irving, Texas

113 months ago

This company has experienced a high percentage of turnover, and I wouldn't expect them to retain the newly expanded team for too long as this is your typical brick and mortar organization that has no respect for the online space.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle, Lorton VA in Lorton, Virginia

113 months ago

Blockbuster is on a Firing spree in my area. 22 people fired in my district in the past few months. I was one of them, last friday. I was fired for hiring my Daughter, she had worked for Blockbuster a few months ago and left because she was pregnant. I was short staffed after LP came in and fired my Shift Leader, I begged for help for weeks and got nothing. I was desperate and decided to hire my daughter. None of the other employee's had a problem with this, actually they were quite happy. Then last Thursday we had inventory and the Inventory team leader called LP to let them know that I had a employee there with a baby with her for a few hours so she could help us get ready for the inventory. The following day I was called in by my DL and LP and was accused of clocking in to early on a couple of occasions that I opened the store. Well, I didn't recall this, though I never clocked in as soon as I entered the store, there was other stuff that needed to be done first, so sometimes I made a educated guess on what time I got there. Strange thing, I was a store Mananger who had been working 50-60 hours a week and I am salary...so why did this matter. So there I was, LP grilling me...then the DL telling me I was terminated due to the baby being in the store. Many managers have brought there children to work with them...but me...I get fired! What a joke. I was there for 3 years, started as a Shift lead, then to ASM and finally Store Manager, never been written up for anything. Actually, a week prior to my termination I was given a 2000.00 raise. What kinda company is this ...they fired our RDO, then moved on to fire several DL's and now hitting store managers. How can you run a company like this? Well, anyways I have a interview with Hollywood Video tomorrow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

margaretfong in Belvedere Tiburon, California

113 months ago

They are not thriving. One of my roommates got stressed out managing Blockbuster and now he is working at some crummy company that doesn't pay you at all when the weather is bad. So, it is definitely going down the tubes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

richard in Bridgeport, Connecticut

113 months ago

Blockbuster is bad news. they treat the employees like dogs. All they want to do is up sell. They wanted me to work open to close daily. 18 hrs a day.I never had enought people to help work the store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

113 months ago

I agree, and the surrounding stores don't want to help you. They expect to much from Managers, they think cause we are salary they can make us work, work, work.
After they fired me...now they can seem to find help everywhere...strange huh?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Racer in Butler, Pennsylvania

113 months ago

Michelle, I was with Blockbuster for almost ten years as an Assistant, a Store manager and a District Leader. From the info that you have provided, I would have fired you too. Being a successful store manager all depends on skill and motivation. You sound like just another "poor me" manager who can't run a store without cutting corners. Blame, blame, blame....blah, blah, blah.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

paul in Bridgeport, Connecticut

113 months ago

If it was so great why did you leave after ten years. Sounds like you got canned also. Either that or you did'nt know how to manage your career.Face it blockbuster is on a big firing spree. the store around here has had a sm postion open for months. They have already gone threw 3 sm in 3 months

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

113 months ago

Racer, since you don't know me don't pass judgement. You have no idea what the business in like in Northern VA. I ran a Multi-Million dollar store and worked 60-70 hours a week. I'm not a robot I could not run it alone. My ASM wasn't much help because he would only work 5 shifts a week, no sundays and only two closing which couldn't be Friday and Sunday, but he has been with the company for almost 14 years and blockbuster wouldn't do anything about it. The employee's and Customers were treated like family in my store, I have recieved many phone calls stating they think I got a raw deal. I never to claim I was perfect, I just did what I had to do, to keep the store staffed for my customers. Blockbuster is on a firing spree, started with the RDO, and then 90% of the DL's and now on the store managers. Also, one of the DL's quit because he was asked to fudge with a inventory to make it look bad, so they could fire the Manager. So don't act like Blockbuster is on the up and up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

113 months ago

Blockbuster Loss Prevention here in Northern VA gets off on firing people and having them arrested. I've seen it, the guy thinks he's slick, twisting what people say to meet his daily fix. Blockbuster doesn't follow what they preach, some people can do things and not lose their jobs and if someone else does the same thing...you bet cha FIRED!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TINA in Dundalk, Maryland

113 months ago

richard said: Blockbuster is bad news. they treat the employees like dogs. All they want to do is up sell. They wanted me to work open to close daily. 18 hrs a day.I never had enought people to help work the store.
YOU ARE RIGHT. BLOCKBUSTER ONLY BELIEVES IN UPSELLS AND IF YOU DON'T BEAT UP YOUR CUSTOMERS TO GET THEM, YOU GET FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM CURRENTLY EMPLOYEED BY BLOCKBUSTER, HAVE BEEN THERE SINCE SEPTEMBER, BUT I CAN TELL YOU ONE THING. THEY THINK JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE EVERY CUSTOMER SIGNING UP FOR THIS TOTAL ACCESS OR DO ANY UP SELLS, YOU ARE NOT DOING YOUR JOB. WE ARE NOT USED CAR SELLSMEN. WE ARE A SMALL STORE AND REALLY DON'T HAVE ALOT OF NEW CUSTOMERS COMING IN, ONLY OUR REGULAR MEMBERS. I GUESS THEY THINK THAT WE ARE SUPPOSE TO FORCE OUR CUSTOMERS TO DO SOMETHING THEY DON'T WANT TO DO. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU ARE THE BEST EMPLOYEE OF THE STORE OR COMPANY, IF YOU DON'T UPSELL, YOUR FIRED. THATS WHY @ THE PRESENT TIME I AM LOOKING FOR A NEW JOB AND SO IS MY MANAGER. WATCH I GIVE THEM MAYBE 5 YEARS AND THIS COMPANY MIGHT HAVE THE ONLINE BUIESNESS, BUT THEY WON'T HAVE ANY STORES, BECAUSE THEY WON'T HAVE ANY EMPLOYEES TO RUN THE STORES. I WILL BE TELLING ALL OF MY EMPLOYEES ABOUT THIS WEB SITE AND TELLING THEM THEY ARE BETTER OFF WITH ANOTHER COMPANY, BESIDES THIS ONE. I DO ADMIT THAT HOLLYWOOD VIDEO PAYS LESS, BUT THEY DO CARE ABOUT THIER EMPLOYEES. BLOCKBUSTER THINKS THAT THEY OWN YOU AND YOUR FAMIL;Y OR YOUR LIFE DOESN'T MATTER AS LONG AS YOU CAN MAKE ALL THE PENCIL PUSHERS RICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT ABOUT US??????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DGVET in Bronx, New York

112 months ago

Well I think you will find this interesting. I worked for Blockbuster for about eight years and during that time I love it yes it was hard work, yes they tried and make me work 60-70 hrs. a week, but I love my job !!! I started as a CSR in 92 and in 93 I was a Store Manager.
Until that one day I was called into the office By HR. The conversation went like this "Hey you are a great store manager but we regret to inform you that due to the companies at will policy we must let you go." Now if your not familiar with this check your state laws and see if your state is a at will state, that means theres no garentee that you may keep your job a corporation can fire you for any reason or NO REASON at all (AT-WILL) and they are protected to do so by New York State Law. So now ask me do I shop there NO way am I happy I sold my stocks when they were 52.00 a share before the split. Now I see them trading at 6.00 a share NYSE (BBI). So if you are employed with that company get out as fast as you can find a better company to work for. And a word of advise if your working more than 45 hrs each week then look at yourself part of that means you need a stronger staff Yes Yes I said it A STRONGER STAFF to support the opps better. It took me prob eight years as a Store Manager to realize that, Now I Train Train Train, Hire Hire Hire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Bear Creek, Alabama

111 months ago

This is one of (what I consider) relatively new publicly companies supported by the upper middle income community. They hire high energy upper managers and would probably love to see their employees pay them to work for them. I'd stay away from them and other similar employers, such as Starbucks, Circuit City, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Kansas City, Missouri

111 months ago

I think it is awful what has happened to all of you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dgvet@*****.*** in Bronx, New York

111 months ago

Good point made Dave I agree 100%.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stone Stevens in Bellevue, Washington

111 months ago

The Regional Manager that I interviewed with was totally self absorbed, arrogant and non-professional. He thought he was a real hot-shot with his ultra-white teeth and disingenous smile. The interview was late by a half-hour because he was on his cell phone pacing in front of the store. The man was as shallow as Barney Fife.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AnonyMouse in Riceboro, Georgia

109 months ago

I hear you loud and clear, for those who have issues with how LP handles interviews remember one thing, BBV hires ex law enforcement and retired Fed Agents to do the LP Audits. So think of talking to LP as talking to a cop, no matter what you say can and will be held against you.

I only had to talk to them once and about another employee but I made it known upfront that I know my rights and will cooperate with them to the best of my ability but not to play games with me.

If you are not guilty of anything then you have nothing to fear, but still watch how you say things as words are easily twisted and when someone is looking for guilt they will find it however they can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

smore in Alden, New York

97 months ago

TINA in Dundalk, Maryland said: YOU ARE RIGHT. BLOCKBUSTER ONLY BELIEVES IN UPSELLS AND IF YOU DON'T BEAT UP YOUR CUSTOMERS TO GET THEM, YOU GET FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM CURRENTLY EMPLOYEED BY BLOCKBUSTER, HAVE BEEN THERE SINCE SEPTEMBER, BUT I CAN TELL YOU ONE THING. THEY THINK JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE EVERY CUSTOMER SIGNING UP FOR THIS TOTAL ACCESS OR DO ANY UP SELLS, YOU ARE NOT DOING YOUR JOB. WE ARE NOT USED CAR SELLSMEN. WE ARE A SMALL STORE AND REALLY DON'T HAVE ALOT OF NEW CUSTOMERS COMING IN, ONLY OUR REGULAR MEMBERS. I GUESS THEY THINK THAT WE ARE SUPPOSE TO FORCE OUR CUSTOMERS TO DO SOMETHING THEY DON'T WANT TO DO. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU ARE THE BEST EMPLOYEE OF THE STORE OR COMPANY, IF YOU DON'T UPSELL, YOUR FIRED. THATS WHY @ THE PRESENT TIME I AM LOOKING FOR A NEW JOB AND SO IS MY MANAGER. WATCH I GIVE THEM MAYBE 5 YEARS AND THIS COMPANY MIGHT HAVE THE ONLINE BUIESNESS, BUT THEY WON'T HAVE ANY STORES, BECAUSE THEY WON'T HAVE ANY EMPLOYEES TO RUN THE STORES. I WILL BE TELLING ALL OF MY EMPLOYEES ABOUT THIS WEB SITE AND TELLING THEM THEY ARE BETTER OFF WITH ANOTHER COMPANY, BESIDES THIS ONE. I DO ADMIT THAT HOLLYWOOD VIDEO PAYS LESS, BUT THEY DO CARE ABOUT THIER EMPLOYEES. BLOCKBUSTER THINKS THAT THEY OWN YOU AND YOUR FAMIL;Y OR YOUR LIFE DOESN'T MATTER AS LONG AS YOU CAN MAKE ALL THE PENCIL PUSHERS RICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT ABOUT US??????????

that is untrue. it depends on where you work. i work for a blockbuster in western new york and you donnot get fired for a lack of upsells. there are constant drives to make more revenue and daily/weekly goals given for upsells but you are no fired if you donnot meet these expectations. i find that most people who appear incapable of making upsells simply donnot try their hardest. you have to ask every customer, every single time to get real results. it also helps to know your customer's needs and be upbeat and positive. i have other issues with blockbuster but this is not one of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Gregg in savannah in Washington, District of Columbia

96 months ago

Have these people lost their minds asking for social security numbers especially on the internet? Why don't you just go to the nearest jail and pass out that information without going through a middle man?

Also, asking for someone's date of birth is also hazardous to your financial health as well as Blockhead setting themselves up for an age discrimination suit.

They are a video store not a bank!!

gflande1 in York, Pennsylvania

96 months ago

As far as RDOs and DLs being "terminated" thats called reorginization, which is normal in the business world when complanies are on a down cycle. Several regions and districts were downsized and several RDOs (7 of 43) and DLs (23 of 243) were offered different positions or severance packages to help the company get out of the RED (which has worked wonders by the way, take a look at their earnings, even with the economy down, BBI has made alot of progress (mainly due to controlling costs). Reorganizing is never a pleasant thing, but it was necessary.

As far as store employees being fired for not up-selling as some on here have complained about, well, sorry but thats your job. The overall objective of any store staff (any company, including BBI) is to drive sales. If they dont, then the company doesnt do well, stock holders get mad....blah blah blah. Employees at BBI are expected to sell...sorry but you dont get paid to stand around and watch movies. Thats just how retail is, if you dont sell, then mangement needs to find someone who will. If you dont want to have to sell...the McDonalds is a nice option. Get a grip! Honestly, I have never heard of an employee being fired becuase he/she failed to upsell to a customer...its usually a trend of no sales and other issues. Those on here that have been fired by BBI need to look at themselves and stop blaming BBI.

Oh one last thing....those who complain about having to work more than 50 hours when they are salary, get a grip. sorry, but thats retail, go work at any other retail, you will see its the same. get another job...maybe collecting garbage is more to your liking...i hear the hours a good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Traciking88 in Mesquite, Texas

94 months ago

if you want to be a recruiter you have to blonde and blue eyes.

Randy in Winchester, Tennessee

85 months ago

Michelle, Lorton VA in Lorton, Virginia said: Blockbuster is on a Firing spree in my area. 22 people fired in my district in the past few months. I was one of them, last friday. I was fired for hiring my Daughter, she had worked for Blockbuster a few months ago and left because she was pregnant. I was short staffed after LP came in and fired my Shift Leader, I begged for help for weeks and got nothing. I was desperate and decided to hire my daughter. None of the other employee's had a problem with this, actually they were quite happy. Then last Thursday we had inventory and the Inventory team leader called LP to let them know that I had a employee there with a baby with her for a few hours so she could help us get ready for the inventory. The following day I was called in by my DL and LP and was accused of clocking in to early on a couple of occasions that I opened the store. Well, I didn't recall this, though I never clocked in as soon as I entered the store, there was other stuff that needed to be done first, so sometimes I made a educated guess on what time I got there. Strange thing, I was a store Mananger who had been working 50-60 hours a week and I am salary...so why did this matter. So there I was, LP grilling me...then the DL telling me I was terminated due to the baby being in the store. Many managers have brought there children to work with them...but me...I get fired! What a joke. I was there for 3 years, started as a Shift lead, then to ASM and finally Store Manager, never been written up for anything. Actually, a week prior to my termination I was given a 2000.00 raise. What kinda company is this ...they fired our RDO, then moved on to fire several DL's and now hitting store managers. How can you run a company like this? Well, anyways I have a interview with Hollywood Video tomorrow.

You can sue them for the way they fired you!

85 months ago

Racer in Butler, Pennsylvania said: Michelle, I was with Blockbuster for almost ten years as an Assistant, a Store manager and a District Leader. From the info that you have provided, I would have fired you too. Being a successful store manager all depends on skill and motivation. You sound like just another "poor me" manager who can't run a store without cutting corners. Blame, blame, blame....blah, blah, blah.
You lie,

85 months ago

Michelle, Lorton VA in Lorton, Virginia said: Racer, since you don't know me don't pass judgement. You have no idea what the business in like in Northern VA. I ran a Multi-Million dollar store and worked 60-70 hours a week. I'm not a robot I could not run it alone. My ASM wasn't much help because he would only work 5 shifts a week, no sundays and only two closing which couldn't be Friday and Sunday, but he has been with the company for almost 14 years and blockbuster wouldn't do anything about it. The employee's and Customers were treated like family in my store, I have recieved many phone calls stating they think I got a raw deal. I never to claim I was perfect, I just did what I had to do, to keep the store staffed for my customers. Blockbuster is on a firing spree, started with the RDO, and then 90% of the DL's and now on the store managers. Also, one of the DL's quit because he was asked to fudge with a inventory to make it look bad, so they could fire the Manager. So don't act like Blockbuster is on the up and up!
will you date me?

rummahkasai in Collegeville, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

They are advertising for help in the store in Royersford, PA. However, when you call the store, they tell you they don't need anyone.
Sounds like IT and HR don't talk much.

rummahkasai in Collegeville, Pennsylvania

82 months ago

Now it appears their Wayne, PA store is closing. Both the Norristown and Chester Springs stores claim to be hiring, but have informed me in person they are not.
I don't think this company is going to be around much longer.

jimsamas in Medina, Ohio

77 months ago

How can anyone complain about working at Blockbusters? It's not exactly a job for a rocket scientist. Try to improve yourselves and find a respectable sales job. Get the "H" out of retail sales. You will never be treated well.

Unhappy Camper in Roselle, Illinois

71 months ago

They post ads for help all the time. I applied and they never even humored me by calling me. Guess I'm too old and "over-qualified". Seems like they want pimply-faced teenagers & 20-somethings only. They should take their elitist noses out of the air, esp since they'll probably go out of business(like Hollywood Video) due to the competition of Redbox, Netflix & on-demand cable.

4everblue in lakeport, California

71 months ago

HELLO....Well im glad i got the EMAIL forum about blockbuster..Whare i live blockbuster is posting jobs online i have applied for at least 5 differant job types...that i know im qualified for..I haven't gotten one phone call for interviews and no emails back....It sucks cause i need a job...

Dave in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

71 months ago

Racer in Butler, Pennsylvania said: Michelle, I was with Blockbuster for almost ten years as an Assistant, a Store manager and a District Leader. From the info that you have provided, I would have fired you too. Being a successful store manager all depends on skill and motivation. You sound like just another "poor me" manager who can't run a store without cutting corners. Blame, blame, blame....blah, blah, blah.

Right back at you. I am currently considering leaving the company and this is exactly the kind of BS you get from management, they're all so out of touch. Crappy company to work for. The sales you get are never enough even if you meet your goals. You get no respect from upper management and no appreciation from your SMs and ASMs. The staff at every Blockbuster I've subbed at is freckled with do-nothings who never seem to get fired, yet you are always under the gun just as hard as them due to sales.

4everblue in lakeport, California

71 months ago

Hey racer in butler....U dont know what the hell your talking about..Dont pass judgement on someone you dont know..GOT IT!!!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.