How to get a job at BNSF Railway.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (24)

Host

Do you work at BNSF Railway? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

Lavelle Dobbs in Clarendon Hills, Illinois

90 months ago

How do i apply for a position for conductor,brakeman,or track laborer in Illinois?Is there a job hotline?Is there a recruiter or a recruiting site i can go to?Is there any recruiting events i can attend near here? Im trying to get inwith the company..Thank you in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Lavelle Dobbs in Clarendon Hills, Illinois

90 months ago

How do i apply for a position for conductor,brakeman,or track laborer in Illinois?Is there a job hotline?Is there a recruiter or a recruiting site i can go to?Is there any recruiting events i can attend near here? Im trying to get inwith the company..Thank you in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Circle, Montana

90 months ago

james campbell in Saint Louis, Missouri said: i am very interested in how I might get the oportunity to be employed with BNSF as i enjoyed my time working on the railways.

You need to put your application in at www.bnsf.com/careers/ hit the apply now button. Watch your email and if you are invited to test and interview they will contact you by email to attend a group testing. You will take a test relating to your field, and you will take a drug test. They will then reject you or accept you BY email. If you are accepted you are hired, but it is depenent on you passing their physical exam. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO WATCH YOUR EMAIL DAILY THIS IS THE ONLY WAY THEY WILL COMMUNICATE WITH YOU! Test dates, acceptance, dr appointments etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

HappyGirl in Keller, Texas

46 months ago

Lavelle Dobbs in Clarendon Hills, Illinois said: How do i apply for a position for conductor,brakeman,or track laborer in Illinois?Is there a job hotline?Is there a recruiter or a recruiting site i can go to?Is there any recruiting events i can attend near here? Im trying to get inwith the company..Thank you in advance

I know this is from quite a long time ago, but I work as an intermodal coordinator and manage the intermodal facilities in Chicago. I work at the headquarters for BNSF in Texas. I know that right now the Corwith yard is hiring. I would not suggest the Cicero yard. The guys are a lot different there and there's a lot of politics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dandizette in Fort Worth, Texas

41 months ago

Does BSNF do a physical for Office Positions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

HappyGirl

41 months ago

Yes, there is a medical evaluation....i didnt do bloodwork, but I had a dr. Appt, hearing, and vision test. You must disclose any medical conditions and medications you take etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

HappyGirl said: Yes, there is a medical evaluation....i didnt do bloodwork, but I had a dr. Appt, hearing, and vision test. You must disclose any medical conditions and medications you take etc.

what happened during the drs. appointment? Just a Hearing and Vision test?

HappyGirl

41 months ago

They got my height and weighed me....vision and eye test and that was about it. Theres TONS of employees here im sure who wouldnt "pass" a physical. If you dont mind me asking what is your concern? I can tell you if you should worry or not, but you probably dont! Have you been offered a Job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

HappyGirl said: They got my height and weighed me....vision and eye test and that was about it. Theres TONS of employees here im sure who wouldnt "pass" a physical. If you dont mind me asking what is your concern? I can tell you if you should worry or not, but you probably dont! Have you been offered a Job

Im fat...I haven't applied yet I just saw some postings and was thinking of applying. Just don't want waste time if i have no chance do to my weight.

41 months ago

I think i meet the other qualifications though....do you know anything about the clerical testing?

HappyGirl

41 months ago

Dont let your weight keep you from applying! I hired out with a group and there were two extremely large women. The test is an aptitude test like percentages, basic math, grammar etc. Its nothing complicated at all, but a lot of people fail it. Also there is a typing test as well. Hurry and apply its very hard to get on with the company and they often take jobs down early once so many people apply.

41 months ago

HappyGirl said: Dont let your weight keep you from applying! I hired out with a group and there were two extremely large women. The test is an aptitude test like percentages, basic math, grammar etc. Its nothing complicated at all, but a lot of people fail it. Also there is a typing test as well. Hurry and apply its very hard to get on with the company and they often take jobs down early once so many people apply.

Thanks happy girl. Im on it!!!!!

40 months ago

How long does it usually take to decide if they want to interview a candidate...it's been about 2 weeks since i applied.

HappyGirl

40 months ago

Within a month id say for a clerk...id say 3-4 weeks after the job posting has closed. Either way youll know! If they dont pick you you will receive a rejection email.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

ok it's good to know that at some point i'll be informed. thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

HappyGirl said: Within a month id say for a clerk...id say 3-4 weeks after the job posting has closed. Either way youll know! If they dont pick you you will receive a rejection email.

Welp, still waiting...people are telling me that you have to know someone to get on there(sigh)

39 months ago

Got the thanks but no thanks email yesterday. Sigh feel worthless. Im never gonna get a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

justryintoworkhere in somewhere unemployed in, Texas

39 months ago

HappyGirl said: Within a month id say for a clerk...id say 3-4 weeks after the job posting has closed. Either way youll know! If they dont pick you you will receive a rejection email.

got the thanks but no thanks email. sigh.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

ron topliff in Tacoma, Washington

13 months ago

in Saint Louis, Missouri"]i am very interested in how I might get the oportunity to be employed with BN

ron topliff in Tacoma, Washington

13 months ago

hi my is Ron topliff yes i am looking for work in my area i have worked as a electrain and worked for the military as a wheel mechanic thank you for your time Ron topliff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

T.M. in Fort Worth, Texas

5 months ago

Host said: Do you work at BNSF Railway? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Apply online at BNSF.COM/CAREERS. Get trained and be prepared to do your best to protect your job for the next 30 years. The money is GOOD, but don't try to have a family. Given fact, VERY HIGH DIVORCE RATE. Didn't think it would happen to me....former military with deployments. And, God forgive you if you get hurt on the job...... the BNSF completely forgets how much money you have made for them, who you are and that you have a family!
17 years, injured and no contact in 2 years with 'GOD"

mdc76082 in Littleton, Colorado

2 months ago

I have tried to apply to every BNSF trainee programs and was shot down every time within 8 hrs. of applying. Being a veteran, they don't seem so veteran friendly as they state. I meet all the required criteria to their specifications, and within 8 hrs I get the "thanks and so sorry, keep trying" routine. This also was the same response that happened a few years ago with this company. it's almost as if they only hire and promote from with in. I understand Their are generations of RR workers and it can be tough for an outsider to get their foot in the door, but this is ridiculous. Sounds fishy to me. I've given up on this company. Still plugging at others

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

grapes504 in Dallas, Texas

27 days ago

mdc76082 in Littleton, Colorado said: I have tried to apply to every BNSF trainee programs and was shot down every time within 8 hrs. of applying. Being a veteran, they don't seem so veteran friendly as they state. I meet all the required criteria to their specifications, and within 8 hrs I get the "thanks and so sorry, keep trying" routine. This also was the same response that happened a few years ago with this company. it's almost as if they only hire and promote from with in. I understand Their are generations of RR workers and it can be tough for an outsider to get their foot in the door, but this is ridiculous. Sounds fishy to me. I've given up on this company. Still plugging at others

Hi there. It is really important that your resume have key words or buzz words for industry. I believe bnsf hires out the initial selection process that selects possible candidates. Third party firms are going to use query searches for those buzz words to find applicants. If your resume doesn't have words specific to the job you're applying for, it will be passed over. try things related to safety, leadership, time management, multitasking, clear and concise communication.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.