Boeing VS. NAVAIR

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (29)

cookiecrunch in Arizona

87 months ago

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me make a decision between these companies by shedding some light on things i might not know about these companies. I got an offer from Boeing as an Industrial Engineer in Everett, WA for 53K. This is a union represented job. I also have an offer from Navy's airborne warfare center weapon's division (NAVAIR) as an ESDP 2 for 61K. I tried to negotiate with Boeing but they turned me down. A salary of 53K would be perfectly fine if i was an undergrad but i have my masters in Industrial engineering with sort of a minor in statistics and i am a certified six sigma black belt. So i feel the salary Boeing offered me is very low. Can someone tell me the cost of living in Everett, WA and their opinions on which offer you would accept (Boeing or NAVAIR?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Planner2000 in Memphis, Tennessee

87 months ago

I probably would go with NAVAIR simply because you have your Masters and that is a tab low. I do not know the cost in WA though. Go to city-data.com to get views from others on the cost of living. Is the IE position at Boeing a Level 1 or higher?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cookiecrunch in Arizona

87 months ago

The IE position at Boeing is a Level 1. Wouldn't work experience from a company like Boeing way much more on the resume in the future than NAVAIR?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

BCAengineer in California

87 months ago

I'm really surprised at that offer considering your background even though the cost of living in WA differs from CA. IMO, maybe that salary is an average of what all other IE1's received. You would have been better off if that had been an IE2 since they pay scale would have been higher. If money isn't the highest priority, then go with whatever job interests you the most. The money will always come later if you are determined. I'm sure having Boeing on your resume opens up tremendous opportunities in the future but I don't know a single person that even works for the Navy, which sounds pretty cool but could be more stressful that a commercial airplanes gig.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

I think that is a pretty good salary for a Level 1 position. I would go with the one that interest me the most as well.

87 months ago

Planner2000, you do have a point about the salary being good for a Level 1 in WA. My friend who is an IE1 here in CA started at $60K. Using CNNMoney's Cost of Living calculator, $60K in CA would equate to above $45K in WA. Cookie's offer is 18% more than that. Here in CA, that $60K for a Level 1 is already good considering my friend had no relevant experience and worked in a totally different industry before.

cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

cookiecrunch in Arizona

87 months ago

I applied to a bunch of IE level 2 positions with Boeing but my application got rejected. I guess you need atleast 1 or 2 years of experience. Apparently having a masters degree is no good without experience. I have (collectively) about a year's experience or close. At NAVAIR i like the fact that i would be a "rotational" engineer doing projects with different departments within the NAVAIR. My host department is the cost analysis department (not so excited about that). But moving around within departments would give me experience in all areas. But from the discussion above it seems that Boeing might be a better choice. I am also in the interview process with Toyota(Torrence, CA) and GE(Buffalo,NY), so i guess i'll make a decision after i know what they have to offer as well. Thanks for the suggestions above! If anyone has more to say..please do so.

87 months ago

Seems like you have some good interviews. Just pray about it and you will decide which offer is the best.
Is Boeing still waiting for you to decide. How long do they give you?

cookiecrunch in Arizona

87 months ago

Actually i kinda delayed the process by putting a counter offer and asked for an extension as well. They gave me up till this Monday.

87 months ago

It seems like Monday is cutting it pretty close if you have an opportunity with Toyota or GE. To me, GE and Toyota are pretty much the top companies for exposure to lean manufacturing and continuous improvement. Boeing has been shifting focus towards these but it doesn't seem like they've been at it as long as GE and Toyota. But maybe this is where more opportunities will present itself because everything isn't established yet. I'm not familiar with what GE does in Buffalo or Toyota in Torrance but I'm sure it's not as cool as working at the largest facility in the world seeing 777s, 767s, 747s, and new 787s being built. GE seems like it is too large, especially since it has twice as many employees as Boeing so imagine the chain of command that exists there. I interviewed for an engineering position at Toyota in Long Beach awhile back but I noticed the atmosphere wasn't as relaxed as it is here at Boeing. But that's just my opinion. If I were to give you an unbiased opinion, I'd still pick Boeing. How far along in the process are you with Toyota/GE?

cookiecrunch in Arizona

87 months ago

Toyota just called me for a site visit. I believe that is the last stage of the interview process and GE is still at initial stages. However they will let me know early next week about further requirements.

Thanks for the input.

87 months ago

CookieCrunch,

Just do your research and figure out which opportunity has more growth and will help advance your career. I wish I had an offer from Boeing!!! I have been waiting for 5 weeks now. All they can tell me is that they are processing it. I'm still under consideration. I have not got my travel reimbursement either. I guess the facility in AZ process is slow. I'm waiting for that call though. I just want to know if I was choosen or not. I was suppose to get a call last week but never received one. I do not think it is the manager's fault though.

87 months ago

The HR process is painfully slow but they have been leaning out the process to shorten cycle time. In February, I referred a friend to my current manager. The time from when he interviewed to when he was offered the position was approximately 5 weeks due to some issue with HR. So hang in there!

87 months ago

Thanks so much for your encouragement. I'm hanging in there. It seems like they have not made an offer yet for this position. I will let you know what happens.

87 months ago

cookiecrunch in Arizona said: Toyota just called me for a site visit. I believe that is the last stage of the interview process and GE is still at initial stages. However they will let me know early next week about further requirements.

Thanks for the input.

Have you made a decision yet?

cookiecrunch in Arizona

87 months ago

Nope. Toyota has scheduled me for a site visit and i have an in-person interview with GE next week. Until then i am doing my best to stall the offer extended to me by Boeing and NAVAIR.

87 months ago

BCAengineer in California said: The HR process is painfully slow but they have been leaning out the process to shorten cycle time. In February, I referred a friend to my current manager. The time from when he interviewed to when he was offered the position was approximately 5 weeks due to some issue with HR. So hang in there!

I am so disappointed with Boeing in AZ. I sopke with the manager last week and he informed me that I was choosen for the position so I should receive an offer from HR within 2 days. Well 5 days had passed and he emailed me to inform me that they will not be making an offer. Why would he get my hopes up high and then turn me down. I haave never dealt with a company that is inconsistent like this. I still have not received my travel reimbursement as of yet... It has almost been 2 months. It makes me not want to work for Boeing anywhere, but I'm not let going to let one person ruin my chances at Boing but they need to know what type of managers they are dealing with.

87 months ago

Wow, I'm at a loss for words. I am equally shocked and embarrassed. That manager should have never made a commitment to hire you if they didn't intend to follow through. And that manager also had the insensitivity to email you that they weren't going to hire you. At least be a real manager and call to say it in person! Did that manager give you a reason for not extending you an offer? I was in a similar situation with another very large aerospace company. I basically counteroffered their initial offer but soon after I was told that they were "restructuring" the department and the position I was being offered was no longer available. I knew it was a total lie since they wouldn't respond to any of my attempts at communication. It's these kinds of managers that make Boeing look bad. Like you said, keep trying and show them you won't give up.

87 months ago

Hi BC Engineer,
He has not responded to my emails or calls to give me an explanation on why the offer was rejected. I was so happy then all of a sudden he emailed me. I would feel a lot better if he calls me and explains to me what happened. Now, it has me under no longer under consideration on the website. If relocation costs had a factor, then I would have paid it myself. Then on top of things I have not got my travel expenses reimbursed yet. She will not return my emails on the status of that. I am still going to apply for jobs at Boeing, maybe I should try other locations though.

cookiecrunch in Arizona

87 months ago

Planner2000,

If i were you i would complain to the human resources department in Seattle and also let them know about the travel reimbursement issue. I would be furious if this happened with me.

87 months ago

Thanks for your advice. I think I'm going to do this.

Did you accept one of the jobs yet?

87 months ago

cookiecrunch in Arizona said: Planner2000,

If i were you i would complain to the human resources department in Seattle and also let them know about the travel reimbursement issue. I would be furious if this happened with me.

I am furious. Do you think it will hurt my chances for future positions at that site?

cookiecrunch in Arizona

87 months ago

Hi Planner2000,

No i haven't completely accepted any offers yet. I have managed to keep Boeing under my wings and the others as well. But i am afraid that if i don't get back to them soon that Boeing will just get back to me with a lame excuse like the one they gave you. They don't seem to be trustworthy. I am wondering if i should even take their job. Anywho, i have my last interview with GE tomorrow and Toyota will get back to me end of this week. So hopefully i'll know soon.

As far as you are concerned. I don't know if it will hurt your future chances at AZ. But, irrespective, what they did and the manner in which they did was not professional what so ever. And anywho your just complaining and asking for reimbursements (as long as you do it politely) i think you should be fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Thanks,
I will call corporate tomorrow for sure because this is not professionally at all!!!!

cookiecrunch in Arizona

86 months ago

hello Planner2000,

Did the corporate office ever answer your plea?

86 months ago

No, I could not get in touch with anyone. Did you ever a job?

86 months ago

cookiecrunch in Arizona said: hello Planner2000,

Did the corporate office ever answer your plea?

I meant did you ever chose one of the job offers?

cookiecrunch in Arizona

86 months ago

Yea i chose Boeing and waiting for my start date.

86 months ago

Good for you!!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.