Boeing job tips - a few questions

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Jo Mama in Seattle, Washington

66 months ago

I'm interested in applying for a job at Boeing and I have some specific questions that I'm hoping someone here can answer (and for those who just want to trash the company, please move on to another thread; while I understand that you have negative things to say about the company and you have every right to say them, I'm not really interested right now, thanks anyway).

1. It is possible to get a referral from someone on the inside? If so, how does that work?
I have a good friend who works at Boeing who says he would refer me for a job, but he is not aware of any internal referral process. I have seen posts here (and elsewhere) that seem to suggest that there is some formal internal referral process, but it's not evident to me (on the outside) or my friend (on the inside). I've heard from others that such things may have been eliminated (out of fear of litigation), but I know of other big companies that are equally fearful of getting sued who *do* have a process for employee referrals. What's the real story on having someone inside refer you?

2. To what extent does one job application "stick to you" in the future if it does not go well?
I've identified a position (with a currently posted open req) that I think I'm pretty well qualified for. Of course, job descriptions being what they are, one has to read them and interpret them carefully (I see what I suspect is lots of boilerplate text that is probably standard for that job classification, plus some actual specifics related to the real work that needs to be done, which I'm guessing is added by the person who actually needs that job filled). Assuming I'm reading the tea-leaves correctly, I think I've got a good shot at this position (assuming I can get their attention). But if it turns out that I've misinterpreted the job requirements, or if my interview (assuming I get one) does not go well, how much would that "performance" follow me on other jobs I might apply for later?

Many thanks in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BCAengineer in California

66 months ago

Thanks for your initial comment for the trash talkers. Some people actually use this post to seek professional advice.

As for your first question - yes, there is an internal referral process. Although I have no direct experience using it I have been to our internal employment website and read about the process but by no means am I an expert as to how it works. It is located on the internal employment homepage with it's own clearly marked section. One important criteria that stuck out regarding referring of an external candidate was that the person must NOT have an already existing profile in the external Boeing employment website (jobs.boeing.com/index.jsp). I wanted to refer one of my friends to several job postings but since he already has a profile on the external Boeing employment website he is ineligible for referral. I suppose the external candidates already registered on the referral site have never created a profile nor applied to a Boeing position. On the referral site, the referring employee submits all the contact information about the external candidate. At the moment I can't remember if the referring employee submits a resume for the external candidate or if Boeing staffing will contact the external employee to fill out a profile on the external Boeing employment website. But I think after all your information is in the referral system you will have primary consideration for certain positions.

For your second question - there are many opportunities to move laterally. The minimum required time to remain in your current position is 12 months. After that you can to apply to any position that you think you'd be qualified for. To leave your current position in less than 12 months requires approval from your direct manager. If you are provided with relocation assistance and leave your current position in less than 12 months, you will be required to reimburse the company for the assistance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Thanks, BCAengineer, very useful info.

I'll ask my friend on the inside to look for the appropriate section on the internal website. I do not have a "profile" yet (nor have I registered externally). I'm not in their system anywhere, and that sounds like it's the “clean slate” needed for a referral.

So it sounds like my friend inside needs to go there and enter basic contact info for me (name, phone, address, email, etc.). Beyond the basic contact info, does the existing employee need to provide any/much additional info (stuff one would typically find on a resume, i.e. education and job history, skills, etc.)? I'm looking to minimize the time and effort he needs to put in (he's busy already, I appreciate the help, and don't want to be a distraction). If all he needs is to input the basics, then once he's got me in the system, I (or HR) can plug in additional details, that would be ideal...is that how it works? Also, does the employee refer the individual in general, or for a specific position? I have the req number for an open posting I can give him. OTOH, if it doesn't work out for this position, I want to be able to be well positioned for subsequent openings (for which I would typically tweak my resume to highlight the appropriate details). Would you say that getting into the system as described here would still leave you with that flexibility to make adjustments to the critical details they have on you (assuming you don't get hired for this job)?

Regarding my questions about how much things "stick" to you, the question is not about lateral moves once you've been hired, rather it's about what happens if you apply for Job A and don't get it; later (days, weeks, or months) if you want to apply for a different job (Job B), would your failure to land Job A be a factor in your consideration for Job B? How much of what happens in any interview travels with you to your next attempt?

Many thanks for sharing your info - it's very helpful and much appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

I'd also have to revisit the referral website since I don't want to speculate or give you wrong information. But you do bring up an excellent point I've never thought of: flexibility to make adjustments to your critical details. I would think you would be able to update your resume since your skills and talents are constantly changing.

IMO, I don't think things "stick" to you because candidates are initially chosen only by the resume they submitted online. I'm sure HR has record of how many times you've interviewed but I doubt that this information is used to determine your eligibility regarding future positions. Perfect example: My first Boeing offer was for a position in Washington State which I reluctantly turned down. I know this had no bearing on my future job prospects because I interviewed many more times and received several job offers. And the funny thing is that the first offer I actually accepted was identical to the position offered to me in Washington State except it was in California.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

BCAengineer in California said: “One important criteria that stuck out regarding referring of an external candidate was that the person must NOT have an already existing profile in the external Boeing employment website.”

I’m not clear on this “profile”. I went to the (external) website and *registered* tonight (using dummy information), just to see what the process looked like. I completed the registration process (and yes, there is a field where they ask “How did you hear about Boeing? – if you choose “Referral” then another (unlabeled) field appears, and you can choose “Boeing Employee”). That’s all good, but I never saw any opportunity to create a “profile”. I’ve looked all over the external website and see nothing about “profiles.” Can you shed any additional light on this? Does one create their *own* profile, or is that something HR does for (to?) you? Is it manual or automatic? It seems fairly important, and I’d like to make sure I don’t mess it up.

BTW, I have a couple of other Boeing employees in my wider network, and I’ve been asking them questions about the process, too. Although they are sometimes slightly contradictory (understandable, they’re not changing jobs frequently), one confirms that there is a referral process and claims there’s a cash incentive to the referring employee if they refer a candidate who is hired. They’re not real clear on the details of how/where things happen, though.

I’m going to ask my buddy to investigate tomorrow if he has time, and hope to get my resume submitted tomorrow evening or the next day.

Many thanks again for sharing your insights, I really appreciate it. If I do get in, I'll buy you a beer sometime. :)

SRybin in Lynnwood, Washington

64 months ago

So, did you get the job?

Miah Roggio in Exton, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

BCAengineer in California said: I'd also have to revisit the referral website since I don't want to speculate or give you wrong information. But you do bring up an excellent point I've never thought of: flexibility to make adjustments to your critical details. I would think you would be able to update your resume since your skills and talents are constantly changing.

IMO, I don't think things "stick" to you because candidates are initially chosen only by the resume they submitted online. I'm sure HR has record of how many times you've interviewed but I doubt that this information is used to determine your eligibility regarding future positions. Perfect example: My first Boeing offer was for a position in Washington State which I reluctantly turned down. I know this had no bearing on my future job prospects because I interviewed many more times and received several job offers. And the funny thing is that the first offer I actually accepted was identical to the position offered to me in Washington State except it was in California.

I've applied for a few Boeing jobs, and just wanted to clarify that you DO have a chance to modify and preview your resume before applying to each job individually.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Oak Harbor, Washington

51 months ago

Any update of the Internal referral process done by Boeing Employees? My brother is a Boeing employee and would like to refer me for a position that just opened up however he can't find anything on the internal website. Any tips so I can point him in the right direction?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

51 months ago

I don't have any real update that's different from above but there is a section on our internal job board specifically for referrals. Like I said in an earlier posting, I remember reading that the referral candidate must not have an existing profile on the Boeing employment system. IMO, the referral system is for the employee to submit your resume and info into the staffing system who will then setup a profile and you will become part of a referral "pool" so when a particular requisition opens, the pool will be screened initially for candidates that may fit their requirements. However, I do not have direct experience using the system, I've just read how it works. Your brother can easily call Global Staffing to ask how it works.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Oak Harbor, Washington

51 months ago

Thank you for the response. It looks like I jumped the gun. We found out (as mentioned earlier) that a Boeing employee can not refer someone who already has an online profile set up. There is a cash bonus for the boeing employee if the referral candidate is hired. oh well.

AeroEngineer in Placentia, California

51 months ago

Don't fret . . . the Employee Referral Program was not for you anyway.

The Employee Referral Program is for hiring external job seekers that Boeing does not know about with "special skills" Boeing needs for a particular program. The positions are tagged Employee Referral Program-eligible. A cash reward of $4,000 is awarded to an employee who can refer someone with these special skills. I sincerely doubt you will find an entry-level position tagged as being eligible for the referral program. An example of these special skills would be someone who has experience with a particular subsystem that Boeing still uses for a program is more than 30 years old and the vender has gone out of business. Not many people would have the expertise to sustain, modify, or repair this particular subsystem. However, an employee left my program for a job closer to his home with another company. He came back to my program about a year later. He still had to fill out the application for the formality, but the hiring manager knew his work. Therefore, unless the hiring manager knows your work or you have a special skill, there is no back door. Just keep plugging your resume for jobs that you are interested in doing, and believe you have the education and skills to do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.