Dismissed cases in background check?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

yodafafoda in Marysville, Washington

28 months ago

I think you should have disclosed it.
They want FULL disclosure.
On that part of the application where you should have listed it, there was also a spot called 'disposition' and in that spot you put "dismissed" [or guilty, or deferred or what ever the dispo is]

This happened to me years ago. I figured if it was dismissed, they would not see it. I was wrong! My offer was withdrawn.

I hope it works out for you! Let us know what happens!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Moving back in DFW, Texas said: I see your point, but the question doesn't ask if you have been charged, it asks if you have pleaded or been found guilty. I saw your other post (too late unfortunately), and I wonder of there was something else, or did they say specifically that was the issue? No offense, but there could been other issues.

I wonder if calling or emailing the HR person that sent the offer would do any good at this point?

I can't remember exactly, but it seems like it asked if you have ever been charged with a felony or misdemeanor. not 'did you plead guilty'?... So I was charged, initially. But then it was dismissed... Make sense?

And to answer your other question (and no offense taken) they specifically told me that was the problem. They told me that had I disclosed it, then there would be no problem. I honestly did not understand the application at that time. I was very excited and went through it too fast.

You could certainly try emailing your rep, what have you got to lose? I'm sure they will give you a schpeel about how it's not up to them, it's going to be up to Boeing security.

I sincerely hope it works out for you! My thing was several years ago, so you never know! It might not be an issue?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

yodafafoda in Marysville, Washington said: I can't remember exactly, but it seems like it asked if you have ever been charged with a felony or misdemeanor. not 'did you plead guilty'?... So I was charged, initially. But then it was dismissed... Make sense?

The disposition was that it was dismissed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

27 months ago

Moving back in DFW, Texas said: Has anybody had issues with not disclosing a case that was dismissed? I recently had a small misdemeanor (disorderly conduct) that was put into deferred for a month and then dismissed once that was done. I have called the court to verify that it is not pending or on probation or anything like that. They said that it will show as "dismissed".

According to the wording of the questions, I have disclosed everything they have asked for. Since this is not currently pending, and I was not convicted, it didn't need to be disclosed.

Of course, now that I have accepted the offer from Boeing, and am pending the background check I am sweating bullets thinking that I should have disclosed this, even though it was dismissed.

So what's the latest? Has you background cleared?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Wondering in Jacksonville, Florida

27 months ago

Moving back in DFW, Texas said: I see your point, but the question doesn't ask if you have been charged, it asks if you have pleaded or been found guilty. I saw your other post (too late unfortunately), and I wonder of there was something else, or did they say specifically that was the issue? No offense, but there could been other issues.

I wonder if calling or emailing the HR person that sent the offer would do any good at this point?

What was the outcome?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Moving back in DFW, Texas

26 months ago

Well it was a while ago now but here is an update. I did receive the dreaded FedEx package (it took two weeks for the background check to clear after accepting the offer and filling out he application) and waited for a phone call (that took another week). I did get approved in the end and I will be relocating shortly.

The dismissed case did not come up in the background check. I think that a dismissal showing up really depends on how your local courts handle them and wether or not they will disclose that kind of information. Technically it will always be on record, even if there wasn't a conviction. Some states do have processes for removing any record of what happened, even convictions. Look into your local laws and talk to a lawyer.

Bottom line is that it is always better to disclose and have them not find it, than the other way around. I actually talked with the person at Boeing security about the vagueness of the question. She said they are considering rewriting it, but suggests that anyone filling out the application discloses everything. Even if a case is dismissed (or deferred and then dismissed) they might find it. Depending on the offense, if they see that it was deferred and eventually dismissed, they still might disqualify you for it. They can and will see deferral dates and dismissal dates. So it is a risk, but if they find it and it wasn't disclosed, that is pretty much a guaranteed disqualification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Oh, and they did find things that were over ten years old, so disclose absolutely everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

elz in Endicott, New York

26 months ago

Moving back, you said they found your undisclosed case and they still ended up hiring you so clearly non-disclosure of non-convictions does NOT guarantee that you will fail the background screening....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

elz in Endicott, New York said: Moving back, you said they found your undisclosed case and they still ended up hiring you so clearly non-disclosure of non-convictions does NOT guarantee that you will fail the background screening....

The case that was dismissed didn't come up on the background check. There is no guarantee either way. However not disclosing something is not a good way of trying to get hired. The security people are more likely to let you explain a disclosed offense than let you explain why you tried to hide something. Why risk it? They are human and understand that things happen in the past, but trying to hide something tells them about your character currently.

I received the FedEx package for other reasons. There was a theft charge that showed as a conviction within the recent timeframe that they don't like to hire in. It was disclosed and since the offense took place out of the timeframe, they were understanding an approved me for hire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.