Help with getting a Boeing Summer Internship!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

mendozao in Ann Arbor, Michigan

79 months ago

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how I could possibly get my foot in the door for Boeing. I recently received a scholarship from Boeing, and I think that would increase my chances of possibly getting a summer internship. I love this company and I love even more what they do. I am a junior at the University of Michigan in Aerospace Engineering. Let me know if anyone has any kind of information, I greatly appreciate anyone's help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

BCAengineer in California

79 months ago

Glad to hear that you are looking for employment within the company. I'm sure the scholarship will improve your chances for landing an internship but the competition for those limited positions are fierce. At our career fairs I always let inquiring students know that in 2007 there were more than 80,000 applicants for only 1,100 available internship positions, or 1 position per 73 applicants. So I ask them what do they have on their resumes that will make them stand out. Sure everyone has above a 3.5 and interesting electives but what have you done in terms of extracurricular activities? Basically I look for activities that build team working and leadership skills like clubs or volunteer work. Networking also helps because sometimes they can give you an "inside scoop" on programs that are hiring and may be able to refer you. But if the internship quest doesn't work out there will be many full-time engineering positions available. I never interned at Boeing but worked at a small aerospace company before joining as an engineer and it worked out!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

mendozao in Ann Arbor, Michigan

79 months ago

Thats really helpful information! I had an idea of how competitive it was to land one of these internships, but I have never had a number to put on it and now I do, haha. In terms of extra curriculars, I would say that I am way above the curve in terms of leadership because I have done countless team building and leadership development programs through my fraternity. I am also currently serving as vice president of my fraternity. I chose leadership development to be my non academic related hobby if you will. However, I do have practical job experience. Last summer I worked for General Dynamics-Land Systems(the place that engineers the Abrams Tanks). So I also have experience working under a defense contractor much like Boeing! BCAengineer, I noticed you work in California, which is basically also my dream place to work, how long have you been working there and what kind of work do you do for Boeing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

BCAengineer in California

79 months ago

Your extra curricular activities sound interesting. Keep it up! When you apply for positions just make sure you are tailoring your resume to each specific job requisition. Internships are more difficult to apply to than full-time positions because the job requisitions do not usually provide an in-depth explanation of the position or program.

I have been with Boeing for several years but it took me awhile to get my foot in the door. I started out as a Design Engineer with Commercial Airplanes but transferred over to Integrated Defense Systems for a better opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.