Looking for tips on getting hired by Boeing

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (41)

Joshua Howard in Seattle, Washington

83 months ago

I'm a 19-year-old High School graduate with experience only in caregiving and the retail business. I'm trying to get a job with Boeing, but I don't have any experience doing or knowledge regarding anything even remotely similar to what this company offers. Beyond blind and ignorant persistance, does anybody have any tips as to what I should do or where I should start?

Thanks,

-Josh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Seattle, Washington

83 months ago

Joshua Howard in Seattle, Washington said: I'm a 19-year-old High School graduate with experience only in caregiving and the retail business. I'm trying to get a job with Boeing, but I don't have any experience doing or knowledge regarding anything even remotely similar to what this company offers. Beyond blind and ignorant persistance, does anybody have any tips as to what I should do or where I should start?

Thanks,

-Josh

Hi Josh,

I work at a technical college close to the Everett Boeing and Boeing hires a lot of our students. It really depends on what you want to do. There are a lot of different positions at Boeing. Currently Computer Drafting and Design is very much in demand. They couldn't find local graduates in that program this last quarter so they recruited graduates from our sister campus in Texas. The company paid for their relocation and are paying for them to earn their bachelor of science degree. They work you hard. I just sat down with one of those students. Poor thing, he always looks so tired and overworked. Of course he is going to school too. I know he mentioned that he would be putting in 60 hour work weeks at times. But overall he really enjoys it. Some complaints I have heard through the grapevine are layoffs but benefits are good. You really need to get some type of degree. You never want to pigionhold yourself to one company or a few options. Earning a degree isn't really an option these days, it pretty much is a requirement for most positions. My advice would be to look on their website and job postings and scan through where they list requirements and educational experience and do some research on schools. If you don't know what you want to do (like I did when I was your age) then take some career tests and do some soul searching. You have time to make a good decision. Good luck,

Kelly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

louise in Roubaix, France

80 months ago

Hi Boeing expert,

I'd like to get your point of view regarding my candidacy at Boeing as you used or still work at Beoing.
I'm a recent international graduate and would like to gain a professional experience over there ( kind of 6 or 12 months internship or assignment). I've applied on some positions but I unfortunately get nothing. But recently I received a negative reply which was a little different of the others I received :

"Thank you for your interest in The Boeing Company! We appreciate the time you took to complete our online application process for the following position: XXXX

We appreciate you sharing your education and employment information with us, but we also must inform you that this opening has been filled. We wanted to let you know as soon as possible so that you may consider other employment opportunities.

.../..."

I have understood that my candidacy has been rejected. As I'm not an English native, I don't read between the lines if I could say. Does this message mean that - even if I didn't get the job - they are interested in my profile and look toward proposing me another position ?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Gulf Shores, Alabama

80 months ago

Your best off going to someplace ITT Technical Institute or applying for an apprenticeship at a unions. At 19 you still lack skills and well, there is never any substitute for experience. Also don't be afraid to move or grow into a position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Boeing Expert in Tacoma, Washington

80 months ago

It is possible they are retaining your resume for future searches for positions, but I would continue to apply to positions you are interested in, just in case. Boeing internships are usually for college students, and not graduates. Your not being a citizen may limit you quite a bit in what you could be hired here for. I would look for positions at Boeing outposts near you that speak the same language. You may be very valuable in a position in one of those locations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Thanks for replying.

Since a couple of months, I was applying on entry level positions which matched my education, skills and professional experience gained as a co-op student. I get nothing even when I felt that my skills really matched the jobs. I know that it's more difficult for me as I'm not US citizen but I indicate on my resume I could get a visa ( for up to 1 year ) within a couple of weeks. I don't know. I wouldn't think it would be so hard to get a foot in the door in a so big company. Hopefully my luck will change soon...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Why would someone from France want to come to America anyway? Latecoere (sp?) does work for Boeing and you may be able to get a job there. Vacation and medical benefits are horrible in the U.S., even at Boeing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

I know vacation and medical benefits are bad compared to what people get over here in Fr and I'm sorry for that.
I'm not planning right now to relocate other there. Currently I just wish an assignment up to 1 year that enable me to live a professional experience abroad - in an US company - still I'm young if I could say. I mean it'll be a great challenge to take up : to work and live in a new environment, to contribute my skills and experience, to be exposed to people with vastly different characters, cultural and educational backgrounds. It'll be an invaluable experience for me. Each day will be novel, challenging and stimulating. I'll definitively grow both on the professional and human sides.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

sorry I've just noticed I made a mistake : "...to relocate over there." instead of "...to relocate other there."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Hi Boeing expert,

Thanks for your testimonies and your advice. I didn't know this side of Boeing at all. I'm kind disappointed as I guess how high the pressure on subcontractors is put to get products with high level of quality. I thought Boeing's quality and ethical rules were as high as Boeing's great renown. But Boeing's flights fly. So may be at least a minimum of the quality process is respected ( I hope ! ).

To date, I get nothing. I put lots of time applying online. And I put lots of eggs in the Boeing's basket since I saw lots of jobs matching my skills. So since a while I'm applying at other companies. Hopefuly I will get something soon. If not I will tun over the page and look for a job here. I can't wait forever, I need to work !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Good luck on your job search. Probably something that would be in your area of skills and take advantage of your bi-lingual nature would be a better bet. If you get hired at Boeing you may not be touched by corruption but the chances aren't good that will happen. Boeing has gotten too big and too powerful and arrogant and needs to be broken up into pieces so it never has enough power to abuse like it has ever again. This is what happens when governments allow industries to consolidate too much. Boeing wasn't debarred over the Druyun scandal in part because there wasn't enough competitors to do the work if they did debar them. If you do come to America avoid the South (except maybe Florida), Texas, Utah, the Mid-West States and maybe Ohio. They all have their own problems, but they are mainly areas where the most right wing red neck wackos reside, which were the people that renamed "French fries" "American fries" after France wouldn't back the mistaken Iraq invasion. I'm all for all of the French women coming over here as possible, as France has some of the most beautiful women on the planet. It couldn't hurt things here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Hi Boeing Expert,

Thank you for your reply. I think I will need tonnes of luck since I keep receiving negative replies ... I just hope I don't lose my time and energy persevering for nothing. Sometimes I'm kinda desperate especially when I see lots of jobs that need skills matching mines and get a "no" after applying. Well, fingers crossed !

I didn't know the south was less " French friendly" than the rest of the US. Actually I'm looking for something in California, Seattle area and Texas's big cities like San Antonio and Austin. I'm a person open minded, easy going, and who enjoy meeting new people with cultures different of mine. So I think I will do it. And I didn't know the "French fries" were renamed "American fries" following the divergence point of views about Iraq. It's funny because I was said Am fries are just Fr fries covered with cheese. whatever. That's nice to read there are people like you who appreciate French people. And contrary to what man could think over there, there is lots of French people - including friends of mine - who like the USA and the American way of life. There is just lots of " man say..." in both of sides. People just should travel and see by themselves.

80 months ago

Good Luck, Louise. I would suggest avoiding Texas. There are some good people there and the state is swinging back slowly from being a state of mostly right wing wackos (mostly "angry white men"), but it will be some time before they can redeem themselves in the eyes of anyone. That's where our current Dumbarse in Chief came from. He is now responsible for more deaths of innocent American lives than Bin Laden is, and the deaths of more innocent Iraqi lives than Sadaam likely was. Yet few call for him to be sinilarly accountable for his mistakes--intentional (almost surely) or otherwise. Seattle and California are great choices to see the way real Americans lived before Bush corrupted the government and almost half the country. What's with your counrty electing a President that is so far to the right and seems to want to follow in the footsteps of Bush? Was it a response to the riots and too much immigration?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

momof3 in Kent, Washington

75 months ago

Hello,
Well there is lots of great info and insight here. I have a question......my husband is a machinist and had a interview with Boeing back in October, 2007 and has never heard back from them?? Don't they usually send out a letter of denial if they did not choose you for the position? Well I sure would appreciate any information that anyone would have. Thank you.

tobyk in Ogden, Utah

72 months ago

They don't send out a rejection letter. If you were interviewed, they call the people who have been chosen for the job and offer them the job within a few weeks. If you were not chosen, your status online with say no longer under consideration. Just keep reapplying...as far as getting on at boeing, the only way to get on there without having a degree is "auditioning" there as a temp worker. Volt services can get you a job and you work at Boeing for a specific amount of time. If you are a good worker, your contract will be extended. You could stay on there until you get on permanent or decide to quit, but only if you are still needed and you are a hard worker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tobyk in Ogden, Utah

72 months ago

Your problem in not getting on is possbly your resume. It needs to match certain keywords to pass through an electronic filter. If you are passing through that and still not getting interviews, try applying for something lower (A level instead of B). It isn't Boeing discriminating against you, it is that your resume doesn't match or someone more qualified has applied.

Nayeli in Florida in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

70 months ago

Hi Louise,

I was reading your comments and could help seeing striking similarities between what you and I are trying to do. I notice that your posts are from 10-9 months ago, so I figure that you might have gotten a job and moved on (or maybe you got a job in Boeing in the US!).
Well I graduated from my University a year ago and wanted to find a job abroad especially France and Germany. I made lot's of applications but got a great opportunity in the US. The job is good, I'm still enthusiastic about having gotten it. However, that same desire you expressed: " to work and live in a new environment...[...all...]...on the professional and human sides." were in instances what motivated ME and which I had expressed in cover letters or e-mails. I find it interesting and since I am continuing a search in France (having the language background), it got me thinking about a possibility of an exchange! I would be VERY motivated to look into this... Also, if you have already accomplished your desire to work here, I think even a communication medium whereby we could share our job search experience might mutually benefit both of us.

Bon courage comme même. J'espère que si tu n'as pas encore réussi dans ton recherche d'emploi que tu reussiras bientot!

~

louise in Roubaix, France said: Hi Boeing Expert,

Thank you for your reply. I think I will need tonnes of luck since I keep receiving negative replies ... I just hope I don't lose my time and energy persevering for nothing. Sometimes I'm kinda desperate especially when I see lots of jobs that need skills matching mines and get a "no" after applying. Well, fingers crossed !

I didn't know the south was less " French friendly" than the rest of the US. Actually I'm looking for something in California, Seattle area and Texas's big cities like San Antonio and Austin. I'm a person open minded, easy going, and who enjoy meeting new p

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nayeli in Florida in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

70 months ago

meant *couldn't* help seeing the striking simi....

Louise M Ensign in Lynnwood, Washington

70 months ago

I copied and pasted the job description on the bottom of my resume when I applied for a position. That way the computer will pull you resume from keywords. I submitted my resume and 3 days later I received a confrimation from Boeing for a job process. I have to go to a 3 hour process where they discuss the benifits, and job description video, then there is a 1 hour Online Application process, and then a Drug Screen Lab Form. I'm hoping this means I will get the job. It is an entry position 12-13$ an hour. I also know someone who is a manager there so I'm assuming that helped a little.

Anyways I was wondering if anyone knew what the OLAP was?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Veno in Seattle, Washington

66 months ago

OLAP-ON Line Application

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bill Sm in Seattle, Washington

66 months ago

It's about who you know, need I say more? Waiting 6 months for a generated no-thank-you email is something I got very used to.

May I recommend www.geocities.com/BoeingJobTips/ for everyone wondering how the heck to get a job here?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

onlyonly in San Antonio, Texas

51 months ago

Take this advice: avoid San Antonio Texas...do yourself a favor. This is by far the most hostile place I have ever seen. We used to have very good management, those times are gone and now we have a terrible, demanding, unprepared, hostile, incompetent management I have ever seen in my whole career. HR works for the company...I will leave it like that. I left this site last year and took a job in government. Diversity doesn't exist here, they say it is critical for the site but its just another check mark to complete...funny how Boeing advertising is based on "Diversity".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Boeing Expert in Seattle, Washington

51 months ago

onlyonly in San Antonio, Texas said: Take this advice: avoid San Antonio Texas...do yourself a favor. This is by far the most hostile place I have ever seen. We used to have very good management, those times are gone and now we have a terrible, demanding, unprepared, hostile, incompetent management I have ever seen in my whole career. HR works for the company...I will leave it like that. I left this site last year and took a job in government. Diversity doesn't exist here, they say it is critical for the site but its just another check mark to complete...funny how Boeing advertising is based on "Diversity".

As I noted above, avoid Texas. San Antonio Boeing managers have also been caught defrauding the government, getting $2 million and $25 million dollar fines for doing so. Even though caught red handed, Boeing still denies the obvious and keeps on the managers who defrauded the government and retaliated against whistleblowers there. As far as anything Boeing says, including "diversity," "that's why we're here commercials," "the 787 will deliver on time," "we are an ethical company because we have a code of conduct," don't believe any of it. There is no more arrogant and less law abiding company in America than Boeing, except for perhaps Blackwater (now Xe). If you always wanted to be in the Mafia but didn't have the family connections, being a Boeing manager is the next best thing. With the job market as it is, you may be forced to take a Boeing job, but realize in doing so that you just sold your soul in effect to the Devil.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

EagleJ33 in Fort Worth, Texas

43 months ago

I've been trying to get hired by Boeing for a while now. I have worked as a product control technition for the US Shuttle program in the Kennedy Space Center and most recently as a procurement agent for Bell Helicopter. I have applyed for several jobs on the Boeing webiste, and got interviewed twice. The first time I was sent a letter of denile in the mail. Are there any suggestions to obtaining employment at Boeing? How could I meet someone and ask for help or a good word on my behalf? I am currently a student as well trying to get education to become more appealing of a hire. Please help!

vadym in Tacoma, Washington

41 months ago

Did you get hired by any chance??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

milo in Longview, Washington

41 months ago

vadym in Tacoma, Washington said: Did you get hired by any chance??

I have found out it is who you know I did get an offer but miss inturprited a question on the compitentcys and then was denied but had I answered it write i would have had the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sdny03 in Bremerton, Washington

41 months ago

I hope this gets a response. I interviewed by phone for an employee development specialist job in SC on the 14th of October, 2 weeks later got an email saying congratulations, we need you to fill out an on line application before we can proceed furthar. that was complete on the 27th of October. it is not for a position that requires a clearence so can anyone tell me how long it might take to hear back on anything. This really is a nerve racking process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

BCAengineer in California

31 months ago

It's difficult to pinpoint a definite answer because the hiring process will vary from site to site considering they have their own unique staffing requirements, budget, time frame, etc. In my experience (and opinion), anything longer than a month is not good news. The hiring manager pretty much knows who they will hire not too long after the interviews have been completed. The chosen candidate will be extended an offer and all other candidate will remain 'under consideration' until the chosen candidate accepts the offer and clears all the pre-employment contingencies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

annief in Davao, Philippines

23 months ago

i love you. completely agree with you. :) thanks for all the good tips and i will surely try to follow it so i can continue w/ my endeavor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jordanh in Seattle, Washington

22 months ago

louise in Roubaix, France said: Thanks for replying.

Since a couple of months, I was applying on entry level positions which matched my education , skills and professional experience gained as a co-op student. I get nothing even when I felt that my skills really matched the jobs. I know that it's more difficult for me as I'm not US citizen but I indicate on my resume I could get a visa ( for up to 1 year ) within a couple of weeks. I don't know. I wouldn't think it would be so hard to get a foot in the door in a so big company. Hopefully my luck will change soon...

these happen to me to but take your chance always!!!

Juliann in Lake Stevens, Washington

20 months ago

I have been applying for Boeing the last year I go on every Day to check job listings... I make my resumes according to the jobs I neeeeed HELP does anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong? Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nakry krub in evertt, Washington

20 months ago

Ive been applying for Boeing for almost 10 yrs.. Seriously not lying...Most of my families work there and i have over 10 yrs experience in quality inspector.. I am very disappointing that Boeing would pick someone to work for them and they have been here for less years in America and is insufficient in reading and writing. I am not being rude or mean but they make me look and sound really bad. I have live here in Wa. most of my life and is fluent in my native language and English. I am also a student but that doesn't matter to them. I think the people who are being hired on the spot is lucky because it was based on who they like and not truly by any individual qualifications. Experience plays little when it comes to an assembler job or any manufacturing jobs that does not require a cert or a degree..I don't understand what kind of answers they are looking for. I can tell you that I have answer to my best and truthfully and I also have anwers help from Boeing friends. I ask all of you, Is this called equal opportunity? I don't think so!! Ive tried both ways to see the results but as i mentioned above. Truly I think that boeing HR needs to look into this hiring interview again. Does anyone have any suggestion...Needs help here and it can also answer to many other people that felt like me too...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nakry krub in evertt, Washington

20 months ago

Juliann in Lake Stevens, Washington said: I have been applying for Boeing the last year I go on every Day to check job listings... I make my resumes according to the jobs I neeeeed HELP does anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong? Thank you

Jullian the jobs for boeing is read by machine so you need to put as much areas of expertise as possible off from their job descriptions.. I always get interviews but I never get in.. If Boeing didn't have great benefits like all my relatives says and good $$.. I wouldn't nudge about it..Good luck! If you need help..Holla! my way and I can help you with your resume and make it sound interesting ..Valerie..aka Nakry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Juliannrutt in Marysville, Washington

20 months ago

nakry krub in evertt, Washington said: Jullian the jobs for boeing is read by machine so you need to put as much areas of expertise as possible off from their job descriptions.. I always get interviews but I never get in.. If Boeing didn't have great benefits like all my relatives says and good $$.. I wouldn't nudge about it..Good luck! If you need help..Holla! my way and I can help you with your resume and make it sound interesting ..Valerie..aka Nakry

Aw THANKYOU so much I just need to get it thru the system I can email u my resume if you wanna take a look ??? That would be awesome my email is kawigirl29@yahoo.com maybe u may have some ideas :) thx much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

KHuynh in Seattle, Washington

17 months ago

nakry krub in evertt, Washington said: Jullian the jobs for boeing is read by machine so you need to put as much areas of expertise as possible off from their job descriptions.. I always get interviews but I never get in.. If Boeing didn't have great benefits like all my relatives says and good $$.. I wouldn't nudge about it..Good luck! If you need help..Holla! my way and I can help you with your resume and make it sound interesting ..Valerie..aka Nakry

Hey Nakry Krub. I love how excited you are in helping. I've read your comment and i was hopeing you will be able to help me with my resume for Boeing. I have had 2 interviews and never recieve a call back. I have been chosen by the computer but all of a sudden i stop recieving any interview invites. Is it because i use the same email and they notice. HELP ME PLS.

KodyUSAF in Clearfield, Utah

6 months ago

I have been trying for a year now. Doesn't seem any longer than a lot here. I have put in for 25 jobs. I am fully qualified for each one. They are simply entry level positions I have chosen to try to get my foot in the door. I have 12 years USAF experience. I have 2 years of college completed now. I have worked in warehousing, forklift, military environments for many years. I have even worked as a temp hire for Lockheed martin. I can't even get an interview. I make sure as much info from the job description is on my resume. I have an inside guy trying to help me who has worked there for 19 years. His managers have looked over my resume and like it. And still, not even one interview. My grandfather retired from this company a long time ago. It's where I want to be for my career, and I simply cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I don't understand why I cannot earn a chance to present myself and skills to the company through an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

iamkeene in Seattle, Washington

6 months ago

KodyUSAF,

Don't give up.

What sort of job(s) do you want to do at Boeing? Are there certifications related to the things you're interested in? That might be something to add.

Have you decided on which location you want to work at?

Also:
www.boeing.com/boeing/careers/collegecareers/events_calendar.page

If you meet them in person, and give the people in the recruiting department the "person" behind the resume, that might help your chances.

I'm currently at Boeing, and I think the company has excellent benefits and opportunities. I hope you get an offer soon!

KodyUSAF in Clearfield, Utah

6 months ago

iamkeene in Seattle, Washington said: KodyUSAF,

Don't give up.

What sort of job(s) do you want to do at Boeing? Are there certifications related to the things you're interested in? That might be something to add.

Have you decided on which location you want to work at?

Also:
www.boeing.com/boeing/careers/collegecareers/events_calendar.page

If you meet them in person, and give the people in the recruiting department the "person" behind the resume, that might help your chances.

I'm currently at Boeing, and I think the company has excellent benefits and opportunities. I hope you get an offer soon!

Thank you for your help. I really don't care where or what. I have mostly put in for fabrication specialist, which is what I did at lockheed. But it ranges to many other positions.

Blueiguy84 in Atlanta, Georgia

5 months ago

Hello forum. I recently applied for a Field Service Associate position here Atlanta, Ga. I have exhausted myself trying to find information on what this job is all about. If I am correct, does this position assist a Field Service Rep in daily duties. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ryan

African4Boeing!!! in Seattle, Washington

2 months ago

Hey,

This forum has been quite helpful, and entertaining!! lol.. Does anyone know what kind of jobs for which Boeing hires people without "US Person" status? I've a non immigrant visa that permits me to work for the next couple of years before renewal. I meet the education and skill requirements for a couple of jobs perfectly, but they all require US Person status? Should i even bother applying?

Danno in Jasper, Tennessee

2 months ago

I worked at Boeing for over 10 years. A majority of my career was in the quality assurance fields; last job was a second level manager and I will give you this advice. There is a filter that is used by the BESS system (HR). The hiring manager will pick specific word(s) they are in search of. The problem with using this filter is other words or phases can mean the exact thing. But if the hiring manager doesn't use said filter they would have to read hundreds of resumes and managers do not have time for that. That being said, your resume really needs to be well organized, stating responsibilities and experience. List accomplishments at the bottom of your resume...this is where you can really shine. But take caution, because if your resume looks too good a hiring manager may be afraid to hire you. I left Boeing for one reason and one reason alone...managers above you will take credit and a yearly bonus for your hard work. You will be asked every year, "You had a some really great results last year; so what are you going to accomplish next year?" It's disturbing when you know corporate kicked back 10% of $9 million dollars to 2 people and all you get is a what else can you do from them. Boeing has some pretty great people that work for them, but the politics leave a great deal to be desired. Best of luck to you.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.