Will class 1 misdemeanor affect contract renewal?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

BoeingContractWorker in Hazelwood, Missouri

41 months ago

Hello I have been a contract laborer at Boeing Information technology for 2 years. Unfortunately along the way I did something stupid (left angry profane voicemails with someone) and was charged with a Class 1 Misdemeanor for "Profane Language Over Public Airway". I was then convicted, paid fine, went on probation and fully suspended jail time. No one knows about it yet. This is my dream job and I love to work at Boeing! They might be renewing my contract in a month or so. Then I have to go to badge office and get badge renewed. I did have a badge renewal AFTER my conviction and they did NOT ask me to fill out any forms, they just renewed my badge. But sometimes security might chose to do so - ask a form to be filled out in which they are going to pop the question "in the past 7 yrs have you pled guilty or been convicted of...a felony or a misdemeanor...?". Should I be honest about it? If they do ask me to fill out a form next time I renew my badge I am planning to answer YES and see what happens. Does anyone have any idea what will happen? In my view this charge was very silly!! I shouldnt have gotten so angry with those ppl and left angry, profane voicemails. I hope Boeing security and mgmt will see it that way. I am just hoping that next time I renew my badge they will NOT ask for that form to be filled. Last time they did not. But who knows.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mysterysage in South Carolina

41 months ago

Since you complied with your sentencing, you may be able to go to court and have the record "expunged" (see wikipedia and search other forums), but you might need to hire a lawyer to get it done and be careful of scams. In the meantime, don't lie about it. I don't know your situation, but I don't think it's common to fill out such forms for the annual badge renewal, unless maybe a security clearance is involved.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Boeing ITCL in St.Louis, Missouri

41 months ago

(BoeingContractWorker) Actually the conviction is in a state where they dont allow expungement if there was a conviction based on plea of guilty which I did. If there were deferred adjudication then it could be expunged, in this case it was not so. Also, so far I havent lied to anyone about it. When I had my first badge renewal they did ask me to sign that form - at that time I had no inkling about what was going on so I answered NO on that form. Then a month after that cops told me there was a warrant out for me and thats when I realized those guys had reported this matter and then the trial started. Then AFTER the conviction I went to renew badge again and this time they didnt ask me to fill any form. So, if they DIDNT ASK AND I DIDNT TELL - thats NOT lying I am sure. But if they DO ASK the next time and I dont tell then that would be lying. But I do plan to be honest so lets hope for the best. It would be very sad if I am let go because my manager is keen on hiring me full-time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Just fyi - I changed my profile name to Boeing ITCL but I am the same who started this original post.

Actually security might ask you to fill out that form at their own discretion. I know a guy who told me he has been asked to sign that form everytime he renewed his badge and he has been around for 3+ years. Fortunately for me after my conviction I have had one renewal in which they did not give me that form to sign so I dont have any guilt regarding that. But if they do give me that form then....thats the question. To be honest or not? I dont want to live with any additional guilt about lying.

mysterysage in South Carolina

41 months ago

ITCL, I could tell you hadn't lied about it yet, which is your dilemma if the form pops up. You clearly know that guilt+anxiety later will not be fun. Hopefully someone will chime in with more useful advice than mine to help with the uncertainty now part. Good luck.

milo in Tacoma, Washington

41 months ago

BoeingContractWorker in Hazelwood, Missouri said: Hello I have been a contract laborer at Boeing Information technology for 2 years. Unfortunately along the way I did something stupid (left angry profane voicemails with someone) and was charged with a Class 1 Misdemeanor for "Profane Language Over Public Airway". I was then convicted, paid fine, went on probation and fully suspended jail time. No one knows about it yet. This is my dream job and I love to work at Boeing! They might be renewing my contract in a month or so. Then I have to go to badge office and get badge renewed. I did have a badge renewal AFTER my conviction and they did NOT ask me to fill out any forms, they just renewed my badge. But sometimes security might chose to do so - ask a form to be filled out in which they are going to pop the question "in the past 7 yrs have you pled guilty or been convicted of...a felony or a misdemeanor...?". Should I be honest about it? If they do ask me to fill out a form next time I renew my badge I am planning to answer YES and see what happens. Does anyone have any idea what will happen? In my view this charge was very silly!! I shouldnt have gotten so angry with those ppl and left angry, profane voicemails. I hope Boeing security and mgmt will see it that way. I am just hoping that next time I renew my badge they will NOT ask for that form to be filled. Last time they did not. But who knows.

I have to tell you I received an offer and went thru all the contingent forms and passed all but one because I did not disclose a pendind dui that then turned out to be a neglegent. I will have to say I have never been in trouble with the law and really did not know what a misdemeanor was and also mis interpreted the question regarding charges cause I had not had my court date yet. anyways they withdrew my offer and said I had to wait 18 months to re-apply what a joke! Ill say the background security was not nice and I dont believe there is a real appeal pro

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Hello - I am happy to say that I got my badge extended until the end of 2011. There were NO forms to sign so I will have peace of mind until the next renewal. I hope thats what they do each time - that is, not give me any form to sign whenever I renew my badge. :-). Good luck guys.

hopeless in seattle in seattle

41 months ago

Convicted and hired or still have a job at Boeing? Count your blessings and keep your nose clean. There many applicants who have spotless records, education, years of experience that fits the job but can not find a decent employment. Life sometime sucks but it is what it is. I'm surprised Boeing hires people with criminal records.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

I got convicted months after Boeing got me on board as a contract worker. So I was already working when I got convicted. I too had a spotless record when I joined Boeing. Unfortunately I got into trouble and it was my own doing. So I am convicted and still have a job at Boeing because they havent found out yet. Yes,I do count my blessings from one day to the next and that is the way it is going to be hereafter since I am the one who got into trouble and got convicted. And yes of course I am keeping my nose clean and staying out of trouble. More trouble will come up when Boeing finds out or has to find out if they start the process to hire me as a full-time worker which they want to do next year. I know life sucks because mine does. I am also surprised about the DUI from 8 years ago because atleast for the non-employee badge they have a form that asks "within the last 7 years...have you been convicted?...".

milo in Silver Creek, Washington

41 months ago

hopeless in seattle in seattle said: Convicted and hired or still have a job at Boeing? Count your blessings and keep your nose clean. There many applicants who have spotless records, education, years of experience that fits the job but can not find a decent employment. Life sometime sucks but it is what it is. I'm surprised Boeing hires people with criminal records.

that maybe true but I do know that there are so many people there that don't do the job there given but instead work on how they can get out of work and work the system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

milo in Silver Creek, Washington said: that maybe true but I do know that there are so many people there that don't do the job there given but instead work on how they can get out of work and work the system.

Thats true milo - and when the guy says "spotless records" he means people who didnt get caught. I got caught because I yelled profanities at some people on the phone and it was recorded. There are many who yell profanities or threaten ppl face-to-face and never get caught. There are many doing drugs and driving hammered but never get caught.

milo in Silver Creek, Washington

41 months ago

so true, Im 42 years old and have had a clean record up until last month. Ya I screwed up im already paying the consiquences but to say "I cant believe they would hire criminals" is a really stupid statement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

hopeless in seattle in seattle

41 months ago

Milo and Boeing-sorry about your troubles. My spotless record did not matter anyway...no help in getting a job. Goodluck to both of you.

RR in Bothell, Washington

41 months ago

I'm with you Milo, that was a really stupid statement. It not always about what you did, but how you react to it. Things happen to millions of GOOD people like yourself. It is what you do about it that matters. Best of luck to you! RR

41 months ago

I don't believe "Convictions" can be Expunged, correct me if I am wrong. RR

41 months ago

No, convictions cannot be expunged especially in the state I was convicted in. It will stay forever. If you look at one of my previous posts in this page, thats what I said. I had a useless lawyer who didnt even argue for a deferred sentence and at that time I just pled guilty and took whatever the judge offered because I had no idea what conviction/deferred sentences meant. And yes, it is really stupid to make a stmt like "I am surprised Boeing hires ppl with criminal records.". Like you said, bad things happen to the best of us. Now because of an expression of anger I am stuck with a record forever.

41 months ago

Boeing ITCL...Best of luck to you as well! RR

Seadogg1120 in Adrian, Michigan

33 months ago

Boeing ITCL

Any idea if Boeing has employees who transfer within the company to a different position go through a background check? I an a current employee and have had some legal issues the past year that will be expunged soon and would prefer they do not know.

Joe Jobless in Elmira, New York

33 months ago

BoeingContractWorker in Hazelwood, Missouri said: Hello I have been a contract laborer at Boeing Information technology for 2 years. Unfortunately along the way I did something stupid (left angry profane voicemails with someone) and was charged with a Class 1 Misdemeanor for "Profane Language Over Public Airway". I was then convicted, paid fine, went on probation and fully suspended jail time. No one knows about it yet. This is my dream job and I love to work at Boeing! They might be renewing my contract in a month or so. Then I have to go to badge office and get badge renewed. I did have a badge renewal AFTER my conviction and they did NOT ask me to fill out any forms, they just renewed my badge. But sometimes security might chose to do so - ask a form to be filled out in which they are going to pop the question "in the past 7 yrs have you pled guilty or been convicted of...a felony or a misdemeanor...?". Should I be honest about it? If they do ask me to fill out a form next time I renew my badge I am planning to answer YES and see what happens. Does anyone have any idea what will happen? In my view this charge was very silly!! I shouldnt have gotten so angry with those ppl and left angry, profane voicemails. I hope Boeing security and mgmt will see it that way. I am just hoping that next time I renew my badge they will NOT ask for that form to be filled. Last time they did not. But who knows.

;kklkljkl

Joe Jobless in Elmira, New York

33 months ago

Well, hey anything is possible! The smart thing to do is to go to therapy for a long period of time and if they ask for the info you submitted on here then take the honest way out and tell the truth about your past. If they like you and they let you stay hired on then continue with therapy and you will have an even better chance of keeping your job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

waiting my turn in Lake Stevens, Washington

25 months ago

I am goting through the process with Boeing and am concerned because I have a gross misdemeanor along with the traffic convictions, no felonies, Will this impact the decision on hiring me?

yodafafoda in Marysville, Washington

25 months ago

waiting my turn in Lake Stevens, Washington said: I am goting through the process with Boeing and am concerned because I have a gross misdemeanor along with the traffic convictions, no felonies, Will this impact the decision on hiring me?

If you disclosed it on your application, it should be fine. Nobody's perfect and they know that, but they would want you to disclose (because they WILL see it).

chris braun in Glencoe, Missouri

12 months ago

waiting my turn in Lake Stevens, Washington said: I am goting through the process with Boeing and am concerned because I have a gross misdemeanor along with the traffic convictions, no felonies, Will this impact the decision on hiring me?

...continued...you will need to show the new order everywhere any adverse effects from the earlier conviction shows up, and if anyone does not comply with the new order then file another (follow-up) motion with the same new court that tbey be ordered to appear and show cause as to why they should not be held in contempt. And if you take tbese things as seriously as I do, then in your first motion in the new court, add another paragraph tbat non-compliance within...say... 30 days shall result in a reoccuring damage award of...say...$10,000 as it affects your ability to work. Examples / samples can be found all over the internet. Pay a lawyer $150 if you have to. And my disckaimer: I'm not licensed to practice law so this is MY opinion which is protected by MY freedom of speech!! Good luck!! :)

hjoseph7 in Arlington, Virginia

8 months ago

If you pleaded guilty forget about getting you record expunged. In my state Virginia it is impossible to get a DUI expunged. You might be able to get pardoned but, in that case you would have to had pleaded not guilty. Forget about hiring Lawyers who are only out for your money. DUI lawyers are all part of the network who exploit drunk drivers for monetary gain. They rarely if ever get you out of a DUI unless you maybe blew under .08 limit or are only a few points above. Once you go over than .09, it's all over. In my state there is a 96% percent chance you will get convicted lawyer or not if you blew over the limit. What a Lawyer might be able to do is plead down from let's say a .20 to a .15. This way you only spend 5 days in jail instead of 10. Or maybe he can reduce your fine from $1500 to $500. However that's about it. There is no way a Lawyer can get you out of a DUI so you would just be wasting your money. When I attended ASAP the counselor there said that you are not required to take any breath analyzer test, or blood test under the law. The only thing the law can do then is revoke your license for a year, but if you take the breath test and are convicted because you blew over the limit, then you lose your license for a year plus you record is tainted for life. That and all the other mandatory court cost combined can bring you to your knees.

mhayes in Jacksonville, Florida

3 months ago

If you have had a problem with the law and want to work in aerospace, unless it's a felony it shouldn't be a big problem IF YOUR HONEST ABOUT IT! There aren't to many boy scouts in aerospace or aviation as you have to be a little nuts to be in the business anyway. I have gotten a secret clearance with a misdemeanor in my past, and as security put it not everybody is perfect. Just learn from your mistakes. Now if you're a habitual offender well then, you're your own worst enemy and find another career.

" How to make a million dollars in the aviation business. Start with 2 million dollars…."

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.