appeals

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (36)

milo in Tacoma, Washington

41 months ago

I received an offer but then was declined regarding a question on the application that asked if you had charges against you. I at the time had not gone to my hearing yet and thought that since I had not been convicted of any thing my response was NO to the question. Apparently had I said yes I would have got the position that is what boeing security said.So I tried to appeal this and then was striken down with them saying non-disclosure I could not appeal and now will have to wait 18 months to apply again. I honestly did not interpret the question write and think they would listen so I asked to speak to the manager but i guess she is out of town, when I asked to get the managers name to send a letter they would not even give her name and told me to never call again. Should I be able to appeal at least the 18 months since I got withdrawn the offer this seems like an awful long punishment for getting a neglegent an miss interpretation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Boeing ITCL in St.Louis, Missouri

41 months ago

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Hope something else works out for you. Good Luck. My case is different from yours. I am already a contract laborer with Boeing. When I had my first badge renewal I had NO idea whatsoever about what was going on. So I truthfully and correctly answered NO on that form. Then weeks later I found out a cop was knocking at my door and thats when the whole thing started. After that I had another renewal in which they didnt give me any form to fill at all! They just took my badge, renewed the date on it and handed it back. So there was no disclosure involved. For me the question is what if the next time they do ask for disclosure, then what do I say? This charge is "profane language over public airway" i.e. using profane language over telephone. I dont know how seriously they will treat this one. I have never gotten into trouble not even a driving ticket let alone DUI. This was my FIRST and FINAL mistake in life which is linked more to anger management then anything but which might of course ruin everything this point onwards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

milo in West Linn, Oregon

41 months ago

I think you will be fine if your honest if they ask.Not sure if you have to just tell them , but ya I screwed up really stupid how one question that I honestly did not understand or I guess was just plain not thinking could have such a negative result. I also received another application 2 days before I was withdrawn from this position and filled it out write but who knows if I am banned from that job also.

41 months ago

I am very sorry you received very harsh treatment because of that one mistake and I can relate to your situation. The first encounter with the law is a big surprise and you cant believe it is happening to you. I had the shock of my life when I learnt that profane voicemails can be considered threats and there is even a law for it. That is when I began to research and found out more about misdemeanors and felonies and blah blah blah...I never thought I would end up knowing so much about the criminal justice system in a strange and ironic sort of way as a defendant..and about idiot lawyers who are waiting to take your money but not to do enough in return...so I can understand if you had no idea if it was a misdemeanor and you are right...there are certain things called infractions which are even lower than misdemeanors so being naive you didnt quite know. Hope something else in future works out for you. Best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

milo in Kent, Washington

41 months ago

your so write... and thanks, best of luck to you !

Dan in Snohomish, Washington

41 months ago

Same exact thing just happened to me. I applied for a job and got the offer and everything. At the time I had a pending misdemeanor that was going to get dropped in a few weeks. I thought that part of the application was for things I got charged with so I said No since the judge and I already had an agreement. I accepted the job offer and everything went through but then one day I randomly got an email that said the offer was withdrawn.

I called Boeing securities many times and never got a reply from them. Just today, about three weeks later, I get a reply and I finally found out why it got withdrawn. Same thing as you, I can't apply for 18 months.

I'm not denying that it's not my fault since I should have read everything good but they should really have some sort of system for mistakes like these. It's not like I was trying to hide something bad, I just misread the question and really thought I didn't need to put anything down because it was getting dropped. 18 months is a very harsh punishment for something like this. I'm a full time aviation maintenance student and this job would've really help me with tuition and everything, not to mention I would be a great asset to the company.

But it looks like we're out of luck. They said there's no one I can talk to and nothing I can do at all to be able to apply earlier. If you find anything out let me know.

dmaxx in San Antonio, Texas

41 months ago

Sorry to say they will not budge on the application...back in 2007 I did not declare a misdemeanor I had in 2000 (i also did not read it correctly/was reading CA rules) I had 5 job offer packages and all went down the drain. Boeing Security will not be move on that subject..it took me three years of waiting for my job to come back up, but I'm in now. And I did declare everything this time even traffic tickets

41 months ago

Hello - I am happy to say that I got my badge extended until the end of 2011. There were NO forms to sign so I will have peace of mind until the next renewal. I hope thats what they do each time - that is, not give me any form to sign whenever I renew my badge. :-). Good luck guys.

41 months ago

I know... it seems like an awful long time. I had two offers in the past but was told wrong info from global the first time so i declined the first offer then the next was during the strike they had a hiring freeze.I finally received two more and was willing to take anything to get in. Eighteen months seems like a big punishment and the question starts out a little misleading and ya they should inform you if you need to make any changes the time frame for that. Oh well, i'm staying in contact with the hiring guy at global and hopefully he will be able to get me in when my time comes 18 long months.

41 months ago

Im wondering if anyone knows if you know a manager there, could they over-ride boeing security and get you in? just curious.

41 months ago

Dan in Snohomish, Washington said: Same exact thing just happened to me. I applied for a job and got the offer and everything. At the time I had a pending misdemeanor that was going to get dropped in a few weeks. I thought that part of the application was for things I got charged with so I said No since the judge and I already had an agreement. I accepted the job offer and everything went through but then one day I randomly got an email that said the offer was withdrawn.

I called Boeing securities many times and never got a reply from them. Just today, about three weeks later, I get a reply and I finally found out why it got withdrawn. Same thing as you, I can't apply for 18 months.

I'm not denying that it's not my fault since I should have read everything good but they should really have some sort of system for mistakes like these. It's not like I was trying to hide something bad, I just misread the question and really thought I didn't need to put anything down because it was getting dropped. 18 months is a very harsh punishment for something like this. I'm a full time aviation maintenance student and this job would've really help me with tuition and everything, not to mention I would be a great asset to the company.

But it looks like we're out of luck. They said there's no one I can talk to and nothing I can do at all to be able to apply earlier. If you find anything out let me know.

me too! if they are looking up your background they should then ask questions to anything pending not automaticaly think your hiding something. Im just new to the system never had this expierence, this is bs!

41 months ago

milo in Tacoma, Washington said: me too! if they are looking up your background they should then ask questions to anything pending not automaticaly think your hiding something. Im just new to the system never had this expierence, this is bs!

How long ago was this for you, what position? if you want to send a letter to boeing security managment i have the address. I sent one letting them know the situation and how the question asked was miss interpreted, not saying it will help but im sure were not the only ones and maybe but probably not it might help.

J1M in Seattle, Washington

33 months ago

I just got my background check from Boeing Security as well. Disclosure was listed as a concern. I have had some legal issues, the most recent 5 years ago. I only disclosed the the one charge I was convicted of. The background check showed two other charges that were dismissed. My question is did the application ask us to disclose any past charges and pending charges or just solely misdemeanor and felony convictions?

Thank you!!!!

interview to job in Puyallup, Washington

33 months ago

So I applied, got an interview and now have a Job offer.
7 years ago I had an "adjudication," not a "conviction" .
1. Should this or will this effect my boeing background test and if so what should I say?

2. Should I go for it and find out what happens or should I change my application to say yes I have been convicted when I really have not, but it will be on my record.

3. Also, Do they do a FULL background check or something like a 7 or 10 year only?

Thank for all your Help!

33 months ago

On the form that I have seen, it asks clearly, "In the past 7 years, have you been convicted or have PLED GUILTY to a felony or a misdemeanor?". This means that if you have pled guilty and were put through a diversion/deferred adjudication then you must still answer Yes to that question. So, it depends on what the form you are filling, asks. Please read clearly and carefully before answering.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

optimisticlady in Saint Louis, Missouri

33 months ago

I am sooooo worried about this too!! I had my phone interview 2 days ago and now I will be flown out for an inperson interview on Aug 1. 10 years ago when I was a sophomore in college I got charged for shoplifting..a misdemeanor. DUMB DUMB DUMB!! I have been under consideration for 2 positions and got sent a request to fill out an application for one of them back in May. I cannot remember which one. But Im afraid that I answered no to that question we all fear. Will I be asked to fill out a form at the inperson meeting?! Or if not, do you think it would help if I mention my concern at the meeting if they havent already ran my background check?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

interview to job in Puyallup, Washington

33 months ago

optimisticlady in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I am sooooo worried about this too!! I had my phone interview 2 days ago and now I will be flown out for an inperson interview on Aug 1. 10 years ago when I was a sophomore in college I got charged for shoplifting..a misdemeanor. DUMB DUMB DUMB!! I have been under consideration for 2 positions and got sent a request to fill out an application for one of them back in May. I cannot remember which one. But Im afraid that I answered no to that question we all fear. Will I be asked to fill out a form at the inperson meeting?! Or if not, do you think it would help if I mention my concern at the meeting if they havent already ran my background check?

The Back ground check happens AFTER they offer you a contingent job and after you except. After you have excepted and if you fail you must wait 18 months before you can apply again.

optimisticlady in Saint Louis, Missouri

33 months ago

interview to job in Puyallup, Washington said: The Back ground check happens AFTER they offer you a contingent job and after you except. After you have excepted and if you fail you must wait 18 months before you can apply again.

Thank you! So maybe I should mention my concern at the meeting.

dmcwvf in Hannibal, Missouri

27 months ago

How did they inform you about the 18 month ban? Was it over the phone or in a letter?

not so lucky in Bonney Lake, Washington

27 months ago

it was both. You can call them and they will give you an exact date.

not so lucky in Bonney Lake, Washington

27 months ago

dmcwvf in Hannibal, Missouri said: How did they inform you about the 18 month ban? Was it over the phone or in a letter?

if you already filled out the application I was told there is no turning back. Good Luck!

Wondering in Jacksonville, Florida

25 months ago

WEird situation here, I am now going through the background phase and before I was offered a position I did a background check on myself and found this. When I was a police officer I had a case I was working on and had a court date to testify, however before that date came I had to relocate and leave the department. The judge for that case issued a showcase which shows up as a fail to appear, I spoke with the commonwealths attorney and he had the case dismissed when he explained to the judge that I was no longer an officer. On the courts website it says, Failure to appear and dismissed. I did not know this was on my record for that county and am wondering if I should be concerned. I do not remember exactly was asked on the application about being charged or convicted. I mean I was a cop for Pete's sake and missed testifying. Anyone with inside please respond. Thank you.

yodafafoda in Marysville, Washington

25 months ago

If Boeing security flags it as a concern, you will get to explain your side.
I would guess that if your story can be verified, they should look the other way.

Jack in Everett, Washington

25 months ago

STOP LYING ON YOUR APPLICATIONS!!! You all know quite well what's on your background and the question Boeing asks on your application is CRYSTAL CLEAR! I don't buy "I misread the question" story at all. I too, have had a not-so-perfect past. I disclosed everything and guess what? I start in 2 weeks. Boeing goes back 10 years for Washington state. Boeing knows that people aren't perfect. They just simply don't deal with people that are dishonest and think they'll somehow get in under the radar.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Jack in Everett, Washington said: STOP LYING ON YOUR APPLICATIONS!!! You all know quite well what's on your background and the question Boeing asks on your application is CRYSTAL CLEAR! I don't buy "I misread the question" story at all. I too, have had a not-so-perfect past. I disclosed everything and guess what? I start in 2 weeks. Boeing goes back 10 years for Washington state. Boeing knows that people aren't perfect. They just simply don't deal with people that are dishonest and think they'll somehow get in under the radar.

True DAT!

Jack in Everett, Washington

24 months ago

Maybe Boeing doesn't want people who "misreads" simple questions on the application. Perhaps they think if you can't understand simple directions on your app, than how could you properly follow directions on a position with Boeing? LOL. Not a good first impression.

Hey yodafafoda, I'll be seeing you on second shift. Hehe

24 months ago

Hey there Jack... Yup, we will rock it on 2nd shift!!!

Here's another thing to think about when filling out applications.... Ya, it is a little embarrassing disclosing mistakes of the past... But really only HR, Verifications inc, and Boeing security are really the only ones that see it... Maybe with an exception here and there...

But once you get in, they don't make you wear a neon sign saying you had a DUI or whatever. Just zip it once you in... get it? ;)

justforfunfish in Mount Vernon, Washington

24 months ago

where can you disclose criminal history on boeing application....have i checked everywhere and can not find a thing on where they ask for any criminal convictions besides military or governtment.....please help

Ron in Granite Falls, Washington

19 months ago

Same outcome, different story here.

My job offer was pulled after Boeing security deemed I had "falsified information". It hasn't been fully explained to me yet (which I am currently trying to get a formal statement from the representitive who processed me) but was implied that I had failed to report my education in the post-offer application.

I had been in contact with verifications twice to explain the matter, and had it cleared up on that end. Boeing security however would not listen to my reason, giving me a lecture on how people report it in one place (in my case my resume AND account information...) and not in the application in hopes it slips under the radar.

I tried explaining to this woman that I was in no way trying to mislead or misinform anyone, answered all questions they had about my education and sent in my transcript as well as certificates, but even after all that I still remain without a job offer and with an 18 month ban.

I've tried every single option to get a third review, but after many emails and calls they will not reply further, so I might just be stuck till Dec of 2013.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington

17 months ago

Ron,

If I understand correctly, when you got the e-mail to fill out the application, pre-interview, and making the official application,
you did not put the education you had referenced on your resume, right?

So they were probably thinking the only reason someone wouldn't put it on the official application is because they probably were lying or exaggerating on their resume.... That's all I can think of, as to why.

I am concerned about my meds I take. I am treated for depression, need the zoloft, but wonder if they'll dismiss my application for that. I don't think it's any of their business about my medical history until I get the job, but I guess I'll have to be honest.

17 months ago

I take anti depressants as well. I felt the same as you. None of their business. However, my concern would be with the UA. I disclosed my meds, and still got the job.

In the end, just disclose

17 months ago

yodafafoda in Marysville, Washington said: I take anti depressants as well. I felt the same as you. None of their business. However, my concern would be with the UA. I disclosed my meds, and still got the job.

In the end, just disclose

Thanks yodafoda. I've been reading the forum for several weeks and very much appreciate your enthusiasm, encouragement and level-headedness. No, I don't expect you to be perfect but the fact that you're willing to take the time to help people speaks volumes.

Can I ask you a couple more questions?

17 months ago

Ask all you want... I'll do my best.

17 months ago

yodafafoda in Marysville, Washington said: Ask all you want... I'll do my best.

1. Do you think being in my mid-40s (47), will be an issue? I have an interesting resume, with many years, earlier in my career, working for the government, reading blueprints, supply chain management and procurement. Lots of other good skills since then, too.

2. I'm not applying for fabrication sort of jobs. I'm applying for stuff like Supply Chain Management Analyst, Manufacturing Planner, etc. (entry level). So, you have been answering others, but do your answers pretty much apply to those (administrative/engineering related) jobs also?

3. When is the drug disclosure thingamajig asked, by Boeing. Do you think, since I'm not applying for manufacturing/assembly/tool use sort of jobs, it may not even be asked for me? I assure you, I'm highly competent. But yes, I find I need medication to keep my happy face on. :)

I'll leave it at that for now. Thanks so much.

17 months ago

From what I understand, everybody gets a medical questionairre after the job offer, and you must fill it out; as it is one of the contingencies.. Don't worry about the y pills- it would be discrimination.

Your age has nothing to do with it.

Apply for many many jobs. Even if it's the same job description as those prieviously applied.

Good luck

17 months ago

Thank you yodafafoda. It's appreciated.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.