What do you think of this interaction/my chances at getting a business internship?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

wlw2009 in Columbia, Missouri

59 months ago

So, check this out. I went to my school's career fair to speak with Boeing about their 2012 B internships. So this guy (who is apparently a high-ranking recruiter as I learned from another recruiter) looks at my resume stone-faced. Now, my resume is really pretty decent EXCEPT my GPA (which is a 2.8). He didn't say much other than "wow, you are a busy guy...tell me about some of the stuff". So I explained to him what I do as a supervisor at my job, what I do for my work study job, what I do as a state president, and what I do for as a VP of Marketing. Then after I was done, unprompted I told him what I knew about Boeing, their internship program, and their company culture. I told him that I really wanted to go to Seattle to do my internship. His face lit up and he said, "that sounds great! Let me get you the exact job ID that you are looking for". So he went and wrote it down and handed it to me. "Now, go online apply, and as soon as you apply, send me an e-mail to let me know. I'll call the hiring managers in Seattle and have them call you for the first 1:1 over-the-phone interview". I said "that sounds great! Thanks a lot!" and then he ended it with, "yeah, I think you'll do great in the northwest...this is your internship to lose now."
But...I have a 2.8 GPA.
At the end of the day, I was at work (like always) and I saw the other Boeing recruiter in attendance and spoke with her about it.
She said and I quote: "he really likes you, he will be busy for the next couple of weeks but he is good at keeping his 'promises' and he will get you that interview". But with a 2.8, what are my chances even with a great resume? What if they screen me out before his recommendation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Also, will I have to wait 3 months for the requisition to close to receive a call (if I do) or is this different because they are going to be hiring many people for this internship?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

BCAengineer in California

59 months ago

All Boeing internship programs are very competitive so expect to be competing with other students that have similar, if not better, resumes than you do. I also noticed many of the internship programs have minimum GPA requirements; Either a 3.0 or 3.5. If that is the case, your resume may be screened out during the first pass. I haven't come across a situation like yours but I would assume you still have to wait until req closes.

59 months ago

Well, I already received an e-mail saying that my resume has passed the first screening and has now been sent to the hiring managers (in an automated email I received from the Coord.) There is nothing on the website at all about a GPA minimum...which is why I believe I have something of a chance. But it says in the automated e-mail within two weeks I will be contacted one way or another. So I guess I will wait and see.

59 months ago

Update: I got the interview officially

492 in Ann Arbor, Michigan

59 months ago

Unfortunately, my interview had to be rescheduled for the next few days.

492 in Ann Arbor, Michigan

59 months ago

Well, the interview, I dont believe, went over very well. It was really weird because all the guy did was enter my answers into a computer and didnt even have my resume on him during the phone interview. I answered 2/4 questions with good responses and 2/4 with okay responses. I asked him some "tough" questions as he put it, but I dont think that will matter. I dont feel too strongly about 1/4 of the interview. I dont know if itll make a difference or not. He was nice and said I would hear from him or HR in Seattle within 2-3 weeks with either an interview offer or a decline.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.