Help with Decision..Physician considering BAH Healthcare Position

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Desi MD in Maryland

60 months ago

To give some background.....I finished medical school and started a general surgery residency, half way through i decided to do 3 years of research at the NIH. During my time at NIH i decided i did not want to go back to complete my surgical residency, instead i am considering a medical consulting position at BAH in Maryland.

I've had two interview seccsions with two separate teams. Both interviews went very well. I met with a variety of people ranging from associates to principles. This is a very big career change for me, so it has been difficult to make a decision, especially since the salary and structure of BAH is suck a black box.

As a clinical physician/surgeon i have a potential salary after residency of >250k. On the other hand, BAH made me an offer of 100k to start, with the title of Sr. Consultant. What is the salary potential at BAH as a physician? They say i would likely be promoted to assiciate w/in 1 year, but the salary increase is only 10-15%, i think. The work they are involved with at BAH is very interesting, and i would love to join the firm, but the starting salary is incredibly low.

If anyone has any advice i would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ralph Malph in Alington, Virginia

60 months ago

Desi,

This is very interesting since after working there for a while I had been told that associates salaries only go as high as about $130k with a PHd or I would assume an MD maybe to $150k. You say they are willing to offer you Sr. Consultant which is what a 4 yr grad with a few yrs experience would come in as and never get paid anywhere near $100k. If you were promoted to associate and got the 15% that would put you at $115k just $35k away from your top salary. I would wonder why you might consider taking a job for $150k less than you can make as a doctor. Would your over head (malpractice etc) cost more than that? Also if I were a doctor I would not settle for less than a Sr. Associate which is the level where you get bonuses. I know people without any degrees that are Sr. Associates. To think of an M.D. as a Sr. Consultant to me would be nothing less than a slap in the face.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.