How to get a job at Booz Allen Hamilton.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (42)

Host

Do you work at Booz Allen Hamilton? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Any advice for someone trying to get in?

Reply - Report abuse

MON in Washington, District of Columbia

84 months ago

I work for Booz Allen Hamilton. I think my situation was luck. Because after 8 years of trying to get into the firm, I finally got a call from a recruiter who found my resume online. It is always helpful to have someone on the inside submit/push your resume.

What kind of work do you do and/or are interested in?

Host said: Do you work at Booz Allen Hamilton? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Well I am fairly new to the firm so I don't know how valuable my input will be. But so far, I like it. I never lie to anyone that asks about my experience though. It was pretty rough in the early part of my first year. I hopped around on some short term engagments, one of which being a very unpleasant experience. This is not unusual in consulting when you have difficult clients and believe me everyone has at least one. Now, I'm on a long term engagement that I love -- My manager, team and client are awesome to work with!! I consider myself fortunate because I know that this kind of situation doesn't exist everywhere. Overall, Booz Allen Hamilton (as a company) has been very good to me, despite the rough rocks in the beginning. They offer its employees wonderful benefits and I must say it really is a great place to work. Check out this article:

www.boozallen.com/about/article/23721255?lpid=659693

Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

psu2k3 in Bethesda, Maryland

84 months ago

I have been trying to get into BAH since January. I have been able to network with about 5 employees, one of which is a Director that got me in touch with a recruiter. At this point I am in contact with about 4 recruiters, one of which finally gave me a call last week with a potential opportunity. She seemed very positive about my background though she didn't know a lot about the job I applied for, nor the hiring manager the position would report to. She submitted my backgroundf to the hiring mamager about a week ago and I haven't heard anything since. I know large companies can have a long process... any idea how long the hiring process is?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

I was called for an interview and had an offer about a week later. Believe me, my case was extremely unusual because generally speaking the recruitment process at most big companies can take much longer than that. Then again, it also depends on the need for filling the position and mine was urgent. If you have the job requisition number, I might be able to help you find out who the hiring manager is. Then you could contact them directly and see if you get anywhere. Otherwise, I would advise you follow up with the recruiter, as well as the Director that put you in touch with the recruitment team; that way he/she can help follow up on your behalf.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

psu2k3 in Bethesda, Maryland

84 months ago

MON in Washington, District of Columbia said: I was called for an interview and had an offer about a week later. Believe me, my case was extremely unusual because generally speaking the recruitment process at most big companies can take much longer than that. Then again, it also depends on the need for filling the position and mine was urgent. If you have the job requisition number, I might be able to help you find out who the hiring manager is. Then you could contact them directly and see if you get anywhere. Otherwise, I would advise you follow up with the recruiter, as well as the Director that put you in touch with the recruitment team; that way he/she can help follow up on your behalf.

Thanks, actually I got in touch with the recruiter last night and the hiring manager's feedback was that I was a perfect fit for the job, except I needed a secret clearence, which I don't have. I am trying to get into an analyst position with some relation to homeland security, which I think resides in the "Global Secuirty" division at BAH. The position I was nominated for was: Law Enforcement Management Consultant - 01047307

I am not sure where you are within BAH, but any additional advice would be great. I am about 3 years out of school with more of a generalist background in emergency management and policy. I am looking for a foot in the door and am really not too picky as I know that it will be a great experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chuck Layman in Charlottesville, Virginia

83 months ago

I got a call about the Faciltiy Security Officer Postion in Charlottesville VA. David was the gentleman's name and he said that my resume looked good and that he was going to pass it on to a recruiter. If anyone has in info on who I need to call or how long I have to wait please e-mail me at.... Thanks for your help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anon in Indianapolis, Indiana

83 months ago

I have found them to not call later than a week or so for a screening interview, and the interviews happen shortly afterwards. This of course depends on how many applicants there are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Well they called last Friday so I hope to get a call soon. Thanks for the help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BNFinSA in San Antonio, Texas

82 months ago

Does anyone have info about working/ getting hired at BAH in San Antonio? Thanks!

Allie Jones in Norfolk, Virginia

82 months ago

Chuck Layman in Charlottesville, Virginia said: Well they called last Friday so I hope to get a call soon. Thanks for the help

So, did you ever get that call? I'm watching for positions in Norfolk. I had a friend who used to work for Booz and she said it was a very good company.

82 months ago

No they never called back. I guess I wasnt qualified enough. Oh well. Maybe next time. Thanks for asking though.

anonymous in Springfield, Virginia

82 months ago

psu2k3 in Bethesda, Maryland said: I have been trying to get into BAH since January. I have been able to network with about 5 employees, one of which is a Director that got me in touch with a recruiter. At this point I am in contact with about 4 recruiters, one of which finally gave me a call last week with a potential opportunity. She seemed very positive about my background though she didn't know a lot about the job I applied for, nor the hiring manager the position would report to. She submitted my backgroundf to the hiring mamager about a week ago and I haven't heard anything since. I know large companies can have a long process... any idea how long the hiring process is?

It can take up to a month, Booz's hiring process isvery slow.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

I see that someone has indicated that Booz's hiring process can take up a month. Do they tell you either way (by letter, phone call, etc.)? Or, are you just left to assume that silence up to a month after an interview means they're not interested??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Frederick Connor in Mclean, Virginia

81 months ago

Host said: Do you work at Booz Allen Hamilton? How did you find the job? How did you get that first interview?

Just put your resume on Career Builder. If you have a clearance they'll find you. Good luck. The company is horrendous. They keep dropping all their benefits, so they're really not any better than other companies. Don't pay attention to them being in the top 100 best companies to work for because I think managers are the ones that they count for that estimate. It's a horrible place. I can't wait until I find something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Jillian Martin in Aurora, Illinois

81 months ago

I have been working with a recruiter for over a month now. She was in contact with me constantly and now all of sudden I haven't heard from her. I am more than qualified for the job. Do they let you know one way or another of they are still considering you. At this point, I think it is borderline rude.

Any thoughts?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Jillian Martin in Aurora, Illinois said: I have been working with a recruiter for over a month now. She was in contact with me constantly and now all of sudden I haven't heard from her. I am more than qualified for the job. Do they let you know one way or another of they are still considering you. At this point, I think it is borderline rude.

Any thoughts?

I, too, received no correspondence after having an interview, sending thank you cards, and e-mailing the recruiter to follow-up. I think this is very rude and highly discourteous. Because of this, I probably won't apply with them again as I feel that this may be indicative of the type of company it really is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lina, Fairfax, VA in Alexandria, Virginia

80 months ago

I was called for an interview and was offered a job at Booz Allen all within a week time, I was very impressed with the whole recruiting and interview set-up, and people were great and working environment looks good. While I am used to putting extra hours to accomplish the required, my question is do you know anything about the company’s culture in providing training since I come from slightly a different background. I am sure every department /team maybe different but your general input will be great.

Jay in Des Moines, Iowa

80 months ago

If you have clearance their are a few niche job boards (e.g. clearancejobs.com)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Thompson in Potomac, Maryland

80 months ago

Hello, I am currently a high school teacher and I am looking for a career change. I don’t have security clearance, a back ground in finance, or even experience in finance, but I do have an undergrad degree in Criminal Justice and a master’s degree in Education. I also have extensive experience working with deadlines, adapting and implementing new strategies to fit individual needs, creating and modifying instruction tools and plans, and I have an excellent drive and work ethic. Teaching can be a high stress job which requires constant communication with multiple parties, meeting specific deadlines, and catering to the needs of many different individuals at the same time. Also, a great deal of research goes into teaching students new material… you have to know what it is you are talking about. I’m not sure there is a specific job for me at Booz Allen but I have looked at their website and thought “I’m sure I can perform the duties listed in the job description,” but the only problem is that I don’t have the clearance, or the experience. Any suggestions? I’m a hard worker who believes I can do any task. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Amenia in San Diego, California

79 months ago

Good Afternoon Everyone

Good Afternoon,

I am interested in getting a position with BAH but I do not have masters and little experience. Right now I have applied for HR Assistant position in San Diego, CA. Reading some of the comments it seems that I have to get in touch with a recruiter. My question is how do I get in contact with a recruiter or how do I find out who the recruiter is. Any advice would be great. I have a BA in Political Science and basically no experience to count.

Thank you,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Shaahn in Quantico, Virginia

75 months ago

I thought BAH ould be a great company to work for, but after reading these boards, Im not so sure. I've been hired as a Level II Strategic Comm Consultant. Anyone know what the environment is like on the SC teams?
I was thinking Level II was good, but now Im not so sure. Guess I should have asked for more. LOL
What's done is done, but I plan to make the best out of my experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shaahn in Quantico, Virginia

75 months ago

Oh, and I forgot to say that I was sent an offer letter about two weeks after my interview. The interview process was pleasant and was not drawn out at all.
There was a phoner, a written assessment and then the in person "speed dating" interview session. I enjoyed it all.
I start in March.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

happy gilmore in fairfax, Virginia

73 months ago

Don't do it!! It's like a cult.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

shayzada12 in Rockville, Maryland

72 months ago

APB on Booz employees

questions:
1. work culture at booz? (easy going/cut-throat)
2. healthcare anaylst - high workload, high pressure, how stable a position is this typically?
3. career growth, climbing the ladder to mgmt what does it take (number of projects, number of years.. etc..)
4. Quality of life at booz in general terms
very interested in knowing, i have 1 week to decide to accept a position as a healthcare analyst at booz
thanks
shay

masierra in Colorado Springs, Colorado

72 months ago

My interview went well--very well! I received an offer a week later, which I quickly accepted. I worked for two other defense contractors and I felt like just another number/warm body. My current employer isn't happy I'm leaving, but all my friends were like, "Booz Allen, dangggg, wow, etc."

I truly look forward to working at BAH.

melissa boswell in chapel hill, North Carolina

71 months ago

How long do they science and tech consultants tend to work at BAH? Do people stay for 5, 10, 40 years?

hg in Mason, Ohio

68 months ago

For those that work at Booz Allen, how long does it take to get an interview. I sent in my resume about 2-3 months ago, and I haven't heard anything. In the meantime, I took a job I didn't want because, well, I needed a source of income.

Sarah in Alexandria, Virginia

68 months ago

I have been with BAH for a year, i got the job through a referral. The whole hiring process took about three weeks. It's a great company to work for, I mean this in every sense, I love my manager, the people that I work with and I can not ask for anything more in a job.

What area are you interested in?

hg in Mason, Ohio

68 months ago

I live about halfway between Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio. I'm a teacher whose position was eliminated due to funding issues. I have a background in technical editing (with an environmental consulting firm). BAH in Dayton has posted a technical editing position. Unfortunately, I had to take "a job" at the end of the summer, for financial reasons. I'm not satisfied with my current position. I was really hoping I would hear back from BAH before then. I even used to work on stuff for BAH at my former job.

Lawrence1983 in Vancouver, British Columbia

67 months ago

I've been interested in BAH for awhile now. I've dropped my resume to jobs I'm qualified for but no response. I've been trying to connect with appropriate recruiters, but with no luck. I've just finished my research at Harvard and think that BAH would be a great transition. Why does it take so long?! As others have mentioned, there are bills that need to be paid!

Sarah, you think you can help? What do you do at BAH? I'm interested in the environmental/energy sector. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ENVIRO in San Antonio, Texas

66 months ago

I work in the environmental sector. Please pursue a career elsewhere. I loved my job the first couple months but then you find out what it is really about. If you love cut-throat, butt kissing (sorry for lack of better term), and finding your own clients (takes experience) then it will be perfect for you. Oh, and you cant really want to do environmental/energy projects because that is what your title will be but not what you are doing....BAH has subcontractors for that. As far as getting in, you really only get in with a referral. Otherwise, I hope you are pursing other options. I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

habu987 in Daniel Island, South Carolina

55 months ago

I had applied online for a financial analyst position back at the beginning of July and had been in contact with several BAH employees, including an alumni of my school. After that, I didn't hear anything from anyone for about a month and a half, until a week ago. I got a call from a recruiter (one I had not previously been in contact with) asking me to come in for an interview on October 1st. I had a phone interview then went in for the actual interview. It consisted of a 4 person "speed dating" interview, with the first one carried out over the phone with a senior associate in VA. They all seemed very interested in my finance internship experience--I had a 2 year internship with a hospital chain during my undergrad.

I have a triple major in history, political science, and criminal justice with a pretty good GPA and am currently working on my MBA. I don't have any finance experience besides that internship, and have gained approximately 4 years worth of managerial/supervisory experience over the last 6 years. Any ideas on a salary range for this position given my educational background and general level of experience?

How will this hiring process work? I was told that I would probably hear back from BAH "soon." I am fast running out of money (I hoped to have a job by the end of the summer and had budgeted accordingly) and am deep in the interviewing process with two other companies. However, I don't particularly want to work for either of them, and I know one of them would require me to work for them for a year if I was hired. BAH is my employer of choice by far, but I'm kind of running out of time. Any idea on how long this will take?

nasch6226 in Grand Rapids, Michigan

53 months ago

I applied for their Technical Assistance position for the Head Start. I did two phone interviews, was offered a position with the condition that they would need to get the contract signed. I had to submit my experiences and education for the contract. After three months I get an email that "they did not get the contract" so there was no job to offer. Now I just found out they did get the contract but obviously they didn't need me. I am really angry that they gave the Federal Government my experiences and used my information but lied to me. I am going to contact my Senator to tell him of this deceit. They have no right to offer me a job (I have the letter I received from them offering me this position) and use my information to get the contract but then lie to me.
I don't trust BAH what-so-ever. They lie

JD2010 in Arlington, Texas

50 months ago

I would not recommend getting a job with Booz Allen Hamilton. If you are hired you will more than likely be sent to work full time at a client site, at which point you become more of a mercenary for hire than an employee and will not be given the benefits of those that work in one of their hub offices. You will be placed in a position where you are surrounded by government/military employees with very few fellow Booz Allen employees. You will not be given the opporunity to network with other Booz Allen employees (due to the fact you are at a client site) and most of the time will not be able to meet face to face with your manager(s) more than once a quarter. Those that are sent to a client site are a distinct disadvantage compared to those that work in their hub offices and you will treated like a 2nd class employee while other reap the benefits.

Every day you work you are essentially working yourself out of your job. As a BAH employee you work on billable government contracts, when that contract expires they will tell you that they want to retain you when in reality they will not. I have worked for Booz Allen for 3 years and have witnessed this first hand on multiple occassions. You will be told that you are valuable when in reality they just want to keep you around so they can keep billing the client, up until the day the contract expires and you will be let go without an opportunity to move to another contract or position.

They hired over 300 people this year in my office, a large percentage of which are now being laid off because of expiring government contracts with most of them given little or no opportunity to move to other positions on other contracts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rocky3765 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

48 months ago

Hello,

I was looking for information about the Intelligence Analyst (Junior) position? It says that your must be able to "deploy" up to 179 days per year. Can anyone expand on this? I do not have any military experience and am finishing up an M.S in Homeland Security. I do have extensive research and analytical experience and was also curious how to get ahold of a recruiter? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

DB in Fort Washington, Maryland

43 months ago

As to the deployment, it means that you will be sent to Iraq or more likely Afghanistan for 179 days, the shortest you could expect is 120, but that isn't likely. BAH has a policy that basically prohibits applicants from initiating the contact with a recruiter. After you have applied they will check the resume and if they think you may fit they will call. Both times I have been offered positions it has been through them finding my resume on a job board. If you don't have a clearance you may not be able be highly qualified for the job. You may have better luck trying to go GOV first as they don't expect it for entry level jobs.

Tip, make a friend of someone that is already in the company and has some seniority.

Cheers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

thaminda19 in Forest Hills, New York

42 months ago

I am struggling to get some light shed on my profile from Booz Allen. I am not sure what is not working for me. It has been a struggle - I heard that if you get an internal reference, the hiring team pays more attention to your resume - is that true?

Best
Thaminda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Carzy007 in Colorado Springs, Colorado

32 months ago

I had an interview with BAH in the middle of June this year and got call for 2nd interview after two week later. The recruiter called me after 3 weeks and then went back to get some information which took another 2 weeks.

Last week, the same recruiter called me and I was told they really liked me. The offer letter will be preparing withing 1 week but no call/no email/no mail so far. I am not sure what to do next...should I call the recruiter again and follow up? They are sooooo slow for the hiring process and sending no email/no call about ...is kind of rude/unprofessional.

JusticeForMollyFinn in Sarasota, Florida

31 months ago

<I>They hired over 300 people this year in my office, a large percentage of which are now being laid off because of expiring government contracts with most of them given little or no opportunity to move to other positions on other contracts.</I>

That's very much par for the BAH course. Though it has always been that way to an extent, now that they've gone public it's SOP. Unless you are lucky enough to work for someone who is a real leader, looks out for their people, and will go the extra mile to help you find work (good luck with that, although I did work for exactly such a person for several years before they got fed up and left to go work for a competitor), you're pretty much screwed. What is really insulting is that they expect you to "use the Booz Allen network" to find new work. That worked 15 years ago when I first started and BAH consisted of fewer than 5,000 people in a few D.C. area offices, but now that it's a 25,000-plus transnational firm, that strategy is simply moronic. It's an excuse for lazy, useless, overpaid oxygen thieves masquerading as managers not to manage people!

You applicants are better off just going to work for a body shop/temp agency. At least they don't insult your intelligence by urging you to "make a career out of" their firm while treating you like a consumable cog in a disposable machine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Meds in Delhi, India

31 months ago

Hi MON,

I read your comment of more than 4 years ago that you work with BAH. I believe by now you must have substantially good knowledge of the operations of the company.
i aspire to work for the company after completing my masters in Washington in another 3 years.
Could you please give me some idea about the type of projects there are for the profile of Financial Analyst ?
and how good or decent your experience had been ?
It will help me greatly.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Geodesic in Hyattsville, Maryland

12 months ago

What's up Everybody?

I'm Greg, yet another aspirant for a shot at Booz | Allen | Hamilton with the target positions: Quantum Information Physicist and Photonics Technology Consultant, both in Arlington Virgina. These opportunities were solicited for as of March 24 / 25 and applied for with 24 hrs. Might any of you, having advice or "coordinate" knowledge of the corresponding divisions, perhaps be open to meeting for a cup of coffee or tea?

I'm a native to this area and presently residing in College Park, Maryland and an Alumni from UMD. My doctorate dissertation is set to be defended this August 2013.

Good luck to all of you.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.