Brookdale Senior Living News and Happenings.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Host

What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Brookdale Senior Living stack up against the competition?

Reply - Report abuse

Taking an interest in San Antonio, Texas

84 months ago

Host said: What do you think -- is this company going to survive and thrive? Are they looking to expand their staff, or do you think layoffs are inevitable?

How does Brookdale Senior Living stack up against the competition?

I have been in the business for 20 years. Brookdale can survive. Their intentions are there. However, I belive that corporate must walk the walk. Whenever corporate people (at all levels) come into our buildings, they seem like inspectors instead of leaders....ie. never a glance, never a hello, never curious about who we are, what drives us. I think they need to get a lesson on how to "win friends and influence people"!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Doogie in Glendale, Arizona

71 months ago

Last year the CEO visited our little Hamlet. I waved and said hello. He looked at me and walked away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SusieQu in Jacksonville, Florida

68 months ago

Their stock is dropping like a rock! It's down to $4.87. Whenever corporate comes to our building they spemd their time threatening us regarding upcoming layoffs. It is a horrible environment to work in. Our Executive Director is a snake and is constantly looking to belittle employees and managers, often in front of others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mellison in Dayton, Ohio

38 months ago

DO not work there, while there are some decent common rules they are not followed. I watched as residents were not taken to bathroom told to eat in their dirty clothes cause they were goingto eat agin anyways, tooks things that did not belong, in the morning stand-up meetings there was cussing!!! they care more about filling rooms...residenst were served chicken 8 days stright!!!charging to live there, I would be pissed off if I had to live like that...Oh yea the RAC ate rigt of resident plates.! appauled..I lietrrally just walked out on the job could not take the inhuman prison

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MEOhio in Dayton, Ohio

38 months ago

Unbelievable place to work do not do it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

WrongedCNA in Westlake, Ohio

35 months ago

Has anyone heard of ex-employees suing for wrongful termination? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ResAdvocate in Washington

35 months ago

WrongedCNA, check out this atty's blog. Google his name. This is some what he wrote.
This week in Portland, Oregon, Deanna B. testified against her former employer, Brookdale Senior Living, Inc. (NYSE: BKD). Ms. Bettencourt used to provide care for residents of Wynwood Mt. Hood, an assisted living facility. Like other such facilities and nursing homes in Oregon, Wynwood Mt. Hood has been cited for abuse and neglect because it employed too few employees to care for residents.During Deanna's tenure, the assisted living facility served 82 residents. Brookdale promised those 82 residents services that would take a full page to list, including meals, laundry, help getting to appointments, help getting to the toilet (or cleaning up when help came too late), help with pets, medication, etc. Last year, the State of Oregon cited Brookdale when resident needs were not being met because it employed only two people on night shift for all residents. Obviously, when both employees were needed to help someone get to the bathroom, no one was available to assist any of the other 81 people. The stingy ways of the Executive Director included altering the time cards of employees without their knowledge. Deanna complained about it. She challenged the integrity of her boss, repeatedly. Her boss then changed her working situation, wrote her up for things, and fired her. We sued, alleging that the company retaliated against Deanna for making her wage claims and accusing the company of stealing from her. During the litigation, we have discovered other practices that we believe are improper. For example, those three employees on night shift must remain on call, even during their meal periods. They cannot take lunch or dinner in their cars. Employees remain on call to assist residents. Yet, despite being on call, Brookdale Senior Living does not pay them for their on-call time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ResAdvocate in Washington

35 months ago

Part II:
We believe that violates wage statutes and is more evidence of how the company does whatever it can to reduce costs, whether or not proper. See, OAR {FORUM DOESN'T LIKE NUMBERS SO I HAD TO TAKE IT OUT}

I've sued assisted living facilities / nursing homes before, and I've learned too much to remain naive. I've told my wife that if I ever need to be in one long term, please leave a gun under my pillow. I'd rather kill myself than live in some of these places, in which the facility does not keep all of the bright promises made to prospective residents and their loved ones.

Jeff Merrick, Oregon Trial Attorney
Injury & Employment Law

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Forced out in Jeromesville, Ohio

33 months ago

ResAdvocate in Washington said: Part II:
We believe that violates wage statutes and is more evidence of how the company does whatever it can to reduce costs, whether or not proper. See, OAR {FORUM DOESN'T LIKE NUMBERS SO I HAD TO TAKE IT OUT}

I've sued assisted living facilities / nursing homes before, and I've learned too much to remain naive. I've told my wife that if I ever need to be in one long term, please leave a gun under my pillow. I'd rather kill myself than live in some of these places, in which the facility does not keep all of the bright promises made to prospective residents and their loved ones.

Jeff Merrick, Oregon Trial Attorney
Injury & Employment Law

I am one of a group of people who were either fired or forced out the door after our ED was removed and replaced by a ED from Akron telling us we could get on her bus or else
WE watched as she cut hrs or played shift swap with those she felt trouble makers until they left instructing the HWD to cover thier hours herself
As the original nurses left in disgust she replaced them with friends of hers despite the fact they had been fired from their last position
She did this without consulting with the HWD
She moved a senior employee and I mean age first from her assigment in activities to the kitchen then began writing her up, her final ploy was to allow the head of dietary to hire her own niece and advise this women there would be no hrs for her the women walked out after working for the company for years
I have watched as hard working RCAs were reprimanded openly in public meetings on reports made by the Lead RA with no investigation
They convinced the head of maintenance to resign promising he could reapply to only ignore his calls after his recovery
She had the HWD working as a RCA Nurse and Marketer and then fired her
The Life enrichment director was fired for supposably not reporting a violation
Census is down families are unhappy This is improvement?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nascar in Richmond, Virginia

33 months ago

THey are the same in Richmond Va.Our Old ED left, good for her after 11years--she finally could not take them anymore- we guess. HWD left after 16 years, She stated she left for personal reasons but we could tell-it was the place getting to her, lots of turnover since she left. Promises, Promises..Wrongful termination, sometimes you can feel forced to resign....everyone is out for $$$

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.