Brookdale......not good!!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 247)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

honesttruth1

81 months ago

Chris jaces in Sarasota, Florida said: This company is not good in any way. They market QUALITY CARE for its residents but in many cases border abuse and neglect. They also treat the employee like a low life. They will almost never fire you, INSTEAD they make you life living hell and run you out that way. Then good luck when you try to collect unemployment. Stay far away from this company

I agree 150%, until Alterra and ARC merged there was an adequate degree of care and concern. It's BAD. Managers are treated worse. They promote poor managers and make changes like you change your socks. In dining services managers are audited as if they are criminals. It's worse than when I was in the army

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (123) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Greg0923 in Michigan

76 months ago

I currently work for them.........I understand!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Snuffles in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

75 months ago

Tried to e-mail you, but it was returned as they Major said you no longer had an account with them. Would love to get my email posted, but really don't know how to do it!
Snuffles

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

A daughter in Jacksonville, Florida

74 months ago

Chris jaces in Sarasota, Florida said: This company is not good in any way. They market QUALITY CARE for its residents but in many cases border abuse and neglect. They also treat the employee like a low life. They will almost never fire you, INSTEAD they make you life living hell and run you out that way. Then good luck when you try to collect unemployment. Stay far away from this company

A Brookdale Senior Living skilled nursing facility dropped my father on his head. The week before they had six caregivers (because of State audit), the week of they only had five, the week after six again. My father died ten days later. They were perpetually on the verge of being understaffed. My mother (with Alzheimers) is living in one of their assisted living facilities and they pay big lip service to wanting to make things right, but I have not been impressed with their level of care, cleanliness or food quality. It was good when she was able to fend for herself, but now that she is slipping a good bit, it is harder. I spent/spend quite a bit of time in both facilities and don't see why the government regulators don't catch on to their high jinx, e.g. at the skilled nursing facility staffing hours were adequate if CNA's worked an 8 hour shift; however, they only worked 7.5.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Doogie in Glendale, Arizona

74 months ago

A daughter in Jacksonville, Florida said: A Brookdale Senior Living skilled nursing facility dropped my father on his head. The week before they had six caregivers (because of State audit), the week of they only had five, the week after six again. My father died ten days later. They were perpetually on the verge of being understaffed. My mother (with Alzheimers) is living in one of their assisted living facilities and they pay big lip service to wanting to make things right, but I have not been impressed with their level of care, cleanliness or food quality. It was good when she was able to fend for herself, but now that she is slipping a good bit, it is harder. I spent/spend quite a bit of time in both facilities and don't see why the government regulators don't catch on to their high jinx, e.g. at the skilled nursing facility staffing hours were adequate if CNA's worked an 8 hour shift; however, they only worked 7.5.

It's horrible what they did to your father. Can you find a better facility for your mother? Maybe a smaller facility. Did you report Brookdale to the authority? If it happened to my father I'd be screaming bloody murder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Brett Alywaysthere in panhandle, Florida

74 months ago

I currently work for brookdale. When I applied for the cook job it was posted on careerbuilder as a full time job. I am not full time, and am currently looking eleswhere for employment. I was however told if I would take a midinght to 7 am shift as a RA I would be considered full time, this shift would be in conjunction with a 7am to 5:30pm shift on the same day. So I would get home at 6pm and have to turn around and return to work at midnight the same day. Not taking on an 10 extra hours when my supervisor is off would not classify me as full time eventhough I would be working 40 hours a week. I don't consider the ED at our facility to be honest, they needed a cook and I needed a job. I didn't even get a kiss first. My suggestion is do your homework before you apply with this company. Oh almost forgot, it was 3 weeks after I was hired before I was able to sign my offer of emplyment. The residents at the house are nasty, bitter old people who have nothing better to do than complain about their bacon not being crisp, the cookies not being big enough, not getting a strawberry in their mixed fruit when the next table got a strawberry in their bowl, and then they have the balls to call my food nasty. Sorry but I am not a bad cook, my theory is: if they don't like the food don't eat it and get take out. But by god do they waste food, and eat all their dessert. I was always under the impression that age group did not waste food because of the great depression, I guess money changes everything, because they waste enough food to feed all the homeless people in New Orleans Louisiana.
Man do I feel better. Just do your homework before taking a job with this place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Doogie in Glendale, Arizona

74 months ago

I was a cook for Brookdale so I know what you're going through. I had to put on a happy face whenever some of the residents complained about the food. I put my heart into my work knowing at least someone would appreciate the work we do. They do love their desserts. I had to quit because of the inhouse backstabbings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Brett Alywaysthere in panhandle, Florida

74 months ago

Yea I know about the backstabbing. My boss called me yesterday to come down 32 miles and wants to talk to me, maybe an 86 is comming. Maybe he/she read this, or another company called him/her for a reference. This is one job not going on my resume. I love to cook, but just not there.
Have a nice day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bobby mil in Stuart, Florida

73 months ago

Brett Alywaysthere in panhandle, Florida said: Yea I know about the backstabbing. My boss called me yesterday to come down 32 miles and wants to talk to me, maybe an 86 is comming. Maybe he/she read this, or another company called him/her for a reference. This is one job not going on my resume. I love to cook, but just not there.
Have a nice day.

i was fired from brookdale when they thought i had lung cancer. turned out it was just a scar, but brookdale stuck to their guns and let me go anyway.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cullyroc in Canton, Georgia

72 months ago

I know they have their problems like every other company now in this economy but I haven't seen any of these issues in either of the two buildings I've worked in. Maybe we were lucky at those two locations. I know my regional staff is good and they express their gratitude whenever they're in the building for checkups. One thing you must remember is that they have bosses to answer to as well.

But i must say the things you all are talking about are a shame but cant say that i've seen the same things in my 4 plus years with the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

speechie in Minneapolis, Minnesota

72 months ago

I ran out of room so I will continue...
This company is milking Medicare for everything it can. For example, I heard my boss giving the Physical Therapists a hard time about billing for a certain code because it didn't provide enough revenue. She was demanding that the PT's bill for a different code, a non-related code, just so it would generate more revenue. THAT IS FRAUD!!! Also, as therapists, we were told "wh" to put on caseload and how many times a week. That is the THERAPISTS decision. My manager always pushed us to put a resident on for 5 days week. Keep in mind, the majority of the residents have a broad range of dementia, from mild to severe. And if they are seen by the 3 therapy disciplines (PT, OT and Speech) for 1 hour a day x 5days a week, thats 3 hours a day spent in therapy!! Hello overload!! A lot of the residents had a 20% co-pay so families were becoming very disgruntled as you can imagine. So that put even more pressure on therapists to have to "sell" their services. Additionally, there was no intention or budget for ANY continuing education or to even buy standardized tests for evaluations. In my entire career I have NEVER been so set up for failure and mistreated. I could go on and on. There is not enough room to tell the whole story, but you get the jest of it. Please feel free to comment or contact me through this forum. I hope this company falls hard. They are crooks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (78) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Compliance Department in Brentwood, Tennessee

71 months ago

Brookdale Senior Living takes your comments very seriously. Please contact our Compliance Department at 111 Westwood Place, Suite 200, Brentwood, TN 37027 to report any fraud or abuse so that we can investigate. I am unable to post a phone number here, so you may obtain our phone number through whitepages.com or you may contact us via our website at www.brookdaleliving.com.
Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (64) Reply - Report abuse

JusSomGurl in Plymouth, Minnesota

70 months ago

speechie in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I ran out of room so I will continue...
This company is milking Medicare for everything it can. For example, I heard my boss giving the Physical Therapists a hard time about billing for a certain code because it didn't provide enough revenue. She was demanding that the PT's bill for a different code, a non-related code, just so it would generate more revenue. THAT IS FRAUD!!! Also, as therapists, we were told "wh" to put on caseload and how many times a week. That is the THERAPISTS decision. My manager always pushed us to put a resident on for 5 days week. Keep in mind, the majority of the residents have a broad range of dementia, from mild to severe. And if they are seen by the 3 therapy disciplines (PT, OT and Speech) for 1 hour a day x 5days a week, thats 3 hours a day spent in therapy!! Hello overload!! A lot of the residents had a 20% co-pay so families were becoming very disgruntled as you can imagine. So that put even more pressure on therapists to have to "sell" their services. Additionally, there was no intention or budget for ANY continuing education or to even buy standardized tests for evaluations. In my entire career I have NEVER been so set up for failure and mistreated. I could go on and on. There is not enough room to tell the whole story, but you get the jest of it. Please feel free to comment or contact me through this forum. I hope this company falls hard. They are crooks.

Ahhhh...you must be speaking about the infamous D.F. I've heard the exact same concerns.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

brookdale PT in Spring Hill, Tennessee

70 months ago

We at Brookdale Senior Living take very seriously any allegation of fraud and abuse. We fully investigate every reported incident and take appropriate action. If any present or past associate believes that there are fraud or abuse issues exisitng within our operations we would request that these allegations be communicated to our compliance department, contact information can be found on our website www.brookdaleliving.com. All communication concerning any allegations can be reported anonymously and are kept strictly confidential. As a Physical Therapist and the head of our therapy QA program I take great pride in the quality of therapy we provide to our residents all across the country. We work diligently to ensure the therapy we provide meets the highest government and professional standards. Again we strongly encourage anyone that has a concern about our associates and or their practice patterns to please express those concerns through the appropriate channels so they can be investigated and dealt with appropriately.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (56) Reply - Report abuse

Maxx in Port Charlotte, Florida

70 months ago

That is a lie! I reported an abusive EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, and BSL brushed it under the rug and did nothing. Since litigation may be pending, I cannot comment any further.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chris jaces in Sarasota, Florida

70 months ago

Maxx in Port Charlotte, I fully understand...Venice Fl was not any better

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

snuffles in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

70 months ago

If Brookdale uses a medicare certified agency this can not happen!
If they have there own health care agency, then they can put the pressure on. Fl. is very regulated by A.H.C.A., call them & place a complaint & you don't have to tell them who you are. Now, if this is Il, Fl.only requires a hotel license. In the Assisted living it is tightly regulated by Agency for Health Care Administration. Medicare has put caps on many of it's services, call CMS.
Hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

JusSomGurl in Plymouth, Minnesota

70 months ago

I never realized how many people had these concerns re: BSL. I was once an Executive Director with the company. If anyone has any questions to me specifically in my role, I will be more than happy to elaborate.

And just as an FYI, I left because I did not feel the company was doing the residents a service in the least, especially after being instructed to operate substandard levels. That was enough for me.

I counted my losses, quit, called the Dept. of Health and smile, knowing I will not compromise my ethics for anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Doogie in San Diego, California

70 months ago

JusSomGurl in Plymouth, Minnesota said: I never realized how many people had these concerns re: BSL. I was once an Executive Director with the company. If anyone has any questions to me specifically in my role, I will be more than happy to elaborate.

And just as an FYI, I left because I did not feel the company was doing the residents a service in the least, especially after being instructed to operate substandard levels. That was enough for me.

I counted my losses, quit, called the Dept. of Health and smile, knowing I will not compromise my ethics for anyone.

How could BSL instruct you to operate on a substandard level when their mission is "Enriching the lives of those we serve with compassion, respect, excellence and integrity?"

I've seen problems when I worked for BSL. I can't mention them because it's something I want to forget. The residents' families are paying premium for the care and should deserve top service. Does the board of directors know what goes on? Oh I forgot. They're in for the profit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Maxx in Port Charlotte, Florida

70 months ago

I applaud your sense of ethics, JusSomGurl. It's just too bad that all the other E.D.'s do not share your qualities. I provided a detailed written notification to the CEO's of my situation and nothing was done but a phone call promising a so-called "investigation." To this day... nada. So much for caring, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shmoopy in Mechanicsville, Virginia

70 months ago

Maxx in Port Charlotte, Florida said: I applaud your sense of ethics, JusSomGurl. It's just too bad that all the other E.D.'s do not share your qualities. I provided a detailed written notification to the CEO's of my situation and nothing was done but a phone call promising a so-called "investigation." To this day... nada. So much for caring, etc.

Were you expecting them to fire this person immediately just because you notified them of certain things? Sounds to me they did investigate. Right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

snuffles in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

70 months ago

I worked for this company in Fl., a A.L.D. There goal is the bottom line. They lure people in and then increase their rates by levels of care!
They can't understand that Fl. has one of the strictest guidelines in the U.S.
Was sent to Chicago for training & they gave me a generic Policy & Procedure Manuel that instructed me on how to care for a level 5 decub., not allowed in Fl., only stage 1 for 30 day's, with a plan of care.
IL has residents that belong in S.N.F., but facility is protected as IL, in Fl. only requires a Hotel License. Pitifull

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

doing whats right in Nevada

70 months ago

Although their mission statement is good, it's simply words on paper. Brookdale does not care about its residents nor employees. They treat the employees like dirt and run them into the ground, and then they say that they don't need you anymore.
It's a horrible day when residents lie helplessly in their beds while people steal from them, including taking jewelry that is being worn around their neck while they sleep.
Those that stand up and do their job and try and make a difference get ridiculed and shamed. It's terrible that those in positions of power use and abuse those that aren't so high up on the ladder just so they can look better. Not to mention cooking the books so the higher ups get their nice fat bonuses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

shmoopy in Mechanicsville, Virginia

70 months ago

Come on now. That is such an unfair statement as many of these on this forum are. You apparently have had poor direction but that is not the case for all of their communities. There are many sides to a situation and until you can thoroughly address and look at every one it is unfair for all to continue to make these statements on this forum. So in asking about what you saw and did: Did you see these things and what did you do about it? Did you try to make a difference in what you say you witnessed?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Maxx in Port Charlotte, Florida

70 months ago

I will not comment on this topic any longer as my attorney advised me not to, however, I have gone on with my life and am happy to report there are some good ALF's and SNF's out there. Advise people to look carefully, talk to the residents and outside resources, notice the condition of the residents (food on the clothing, wet pants, dirty unkempt hair, fingernails long or dirty, etc.), investigate online including lawsuits and complaints filed with BBB, EEOC, and AHCA. Eat a meal there and see if the food is tasty and hot when it should be, and what kind of activities program is offered. Sniff around, literally, and drop in unexpected to see "the real deal." Don't get caught up in fancy decor... look beneath the surface and take your time in this important decision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

shmoopy in Mechanicsville, Virginia

70 months ago

Maxx, you are the one that brought the topic up so expect to be debated. How can you group "all other" EDs together in the negative. Granted you had / have issues with whomever, but it does not mean everyone is the same.

Are all companies the same? All Presidents? All Men? All Women?

How do you know corp did NOT investigate? Maybe they did not share the results with you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

JusSomGurl in Plymouth, Minnesota

70 months ago

Maxx in Port Charlotte, Florida said: I applaud your sense of ethics, JusSomGurl. It's just too bad that all the other E.D.'s do not share your qualities. I provided a detailed written notification to the CEO's of my situation and nothing was done but a phone call promising a so-called "investigation." To this day... nada. So much for caring, etc.

Thank you very much. I just read a thread a little lower from shmoopy that apparently hasn't experienced what the majority of people here have. I need to do my due diligence and let her know some news....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JusSomGurl in Plymouth, Minnesota

70 months ago

shmoopy in Mechanicsville, Virginia said: Come on now. That is such an unfair statement as many of these on this forum are. You apparently have had poor direction but that is not the case for all of their communities. There are many sides to a situation and until you can thoroughly address and look at every one it is unfair for all to continue to make these statements on this forum. So in asking about what you saw and did: Did you see these things and what did you do about it? Did you try to make a difference in what you say you witnessed?

I absolutely did try to make a difference. I contacted my management, HR and the DOH with the concerns; however, mgmt were directing these orders. And just so you're clear on my viewpoint, I received a call from the head HR (not to disclose position) who stated that my letter of resignation raised many eyebrows in the corporate office and although it was NOT standard to contact someone once they left, she wanted to touch base and try to rectify the problems. And after sharing with her my legitimate concerns, she stated that my experience was intolerable and that I should file unemployment. Do you need any more proof than that? I informed her that is one contact on my list. The Department of Health was another, which was number one priority. Paint this picture if you will...the community I operated had 20 (yes, 20!) Executive Directors come and go throughout the past 7 years. Some managers (RNs, EDs, etc.) walked out on their first day. You can't tell me that all 20 of these EDs were all horrible? I guarantee you, they were too good for BSL.

So, shmoopy, I hope this helps you visualize just how this company "can" operate. Perhaps in a smaller town like Mechanicsville, it's quaint and pleasant where opportunities are less, but up here in the Twin Cities with the big fish, numbers speak for themselves. I wish you the best of luck with BSL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JusSomGurl in Plymouth, Minnesota

70 months ago

Doogie in San Diego, California said: How could BSL instruct you to operate on a substandard level when their mission is "Enriching the lives of those we serve with compassion, respect, excellence and integrity?"

I've seen problems when I worked for BSL. I can't mention them because it's something I want to forget. The residents' families are paying premium for the care and should deserve top service. Does the board of directors know what goes on? Oh I forgot. They're in for the profit.

The company's mission might be the aforementioned statement; however, it's apparent with the experience I encountered that not everyone abides by it. I lost my overnight RA unexpectedly due to an emergency (the situation was absolutely legitimate). It was a last minute effort to find coverage and unfortunately, no one was able to cover (including those from surrounding communities). I had an agency CNA as back-up in order to maintain the appropriate levels, but when I called my mgmt. to inform them of the situation and backup, I was told that the one RA could work in the house alone. I was told that agency was not allowed to cover. Mind you, this was an ALZ house where the ratio for the evening was 1:19, with multiple 2 person transfers. Would any RAs care to comment on this ratio?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Doogie in San Diego, California

70 months ago

One RA is unheard of especially for an ALZ house. Your mgmt is flipping mad. I used to work for an ALZ and the least RA's working the evenings were three or four. During the night shift it was two or three. When we were short on RA's, an agency CNA was called. Our sister communities couldn't spare any help also. On occasions the exit alarm would go off in the middle of the night. Some of the residents like to roam the hallways. I can't imagine if there was a fire. I know budget will be tight for this year (shareholder meeting. Turnovers will happen. Benefits might be reduced. The RD's and DD's are there to support us, not hinder us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shmoopy in Mechanicsville, Virginia

70 months ago

JusSomGurl in Plymouth, Minnesota said: I absolutely did try to make a difference. I contacted my management, HR and the DOH with the concerns; however, mgmt were directing these orders. And just so you're clear on my viewpoint, I received a call from the head HR (not to disclose position) who stated that my letter of resignation raised many eyebrows in the corporate office and although it was NOT standard to contact someone once they left, she wanted to touch base and try to rectify the problems. And after sharing with her my legitimate concerns, she stated that my experience was intolerable and that I should file unemployment. Do you need any more proof than that? I informed her that is one contact on my list. The Department of Health was another, which was number one priority. Paint this picture if you will...the community I operated had 20 (yes, 20!) Executive Directors come and go throughout the past 7 years. Some managers (RNs, EDs, etc.) walked out on their first day. You can't tell me that all 20 of these EDs were all horrible? I guarantee you, they were too good for BSL.

So, shmoopy, I hope this helps you visualize just how this company "can" operate. Perhaps in a smaller town like Mechanicsville, it's quaint and pleasant where opportunities are less, but up here in the Twin Cities with the big fish, numbers speak for themselves. I wish you the best of luck with BSL.

You cannot possibly expect me or others to side or understand what you are saying and believe what you are saying now can you? So the big HR person said your experience was "intolerable" and you should "file unemployment"? What does your experience have to do with getting a free ride with my tax dollars????? If you experienced something so "horrible" you should have called the highest corporate person available. 20 EDs in 7 years? Please. What kind of forum do you or anyone else think this is for? If you have legitamate complaints, you need to direct them to the correct ppl

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

JusSomGurl in Portland, Oregon

70 months ago

shmoopy in Mechanicsville, Virginia said: You must not be a legal adult person, as anyone in their right mind with half way decent common sense would not address things in this relm. So you gave notice and they raised eyebrows? What is that supposed to mean? Sounds like you must have been stirring things up before you did so - so they knew it was eventually coming and / or could not wait to release you? You really shouldn't underestimate others intellect or understanding or value so much. I cannot see your viewpoint on anything without knowing details and we both know that is not going to happen here.

I have no problem telling the truth; as anyone in their right mind with half way decent morals would know. If you're asking me if I'm a lawyer, then no. But I do know associate and resident rights and the violation thereof. And there was no stirring. They didn't want me to leave because contrary to your disbelief, their ED turnover was that high. It is hard to believe, I don't expect you to believe it, but that's the truth. I don't expect you to see my viewpoint, that's not my concern. My concern is that others who have had similar experiences (which the posted statistics of negative experiences far surpass those that you are experiencing) have a way to ask questions, seek clarification and find solace knowing that there are others who survived the iniquitous beast known as Brookdale.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JusSomGurl in Portland, Oregon

70 months ago

shmoopy in Mechanicsville, Virginia said: You cannot possibly expect me or others to side or understand what you are saying and believe what you are saying now can you? So the big HR person said your experience was "intolerable" and you should "file unemployment"? What does your experience have to do with getting a free ride with my tax dollars????? If you experienced something so "horrible" you should have called the highest corporate person available. 20 EDs in 7 years? Please. What kind of forum do you or anyone else think this is for? If you have legitamate complaints, you need to direct them to the correct ppl

Wow...I've hit the ceiling with you. Um...yeh, first of all, let me educate you on unemployment insurance (it's called insurance for a reason). It is operated on general insurance principles wherein employers pay the premium (not taxpayers). And regarding your comment on calling the highest corporate person...you're right. I should have called the CEO at 11:00PM when the emergency arose because it demands immediate attention. Oh wait...I don't have his number or know of anyone working in corporate at 11:00PM. RAs need support immediately, not the next day during 9-5...that is unacceptable based on DOH standards of providing quality of care to vulnerable adults. Thanks for your reply. It's showing all of us something here :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shmoopy in Mechanicsville, Virginia

70 months ago

JusSomGurl in Portland, Oregon said: Wow...I've hit the ceiling with you. Um...yeh, first of all, let me educate you on unemployment insurance (it's called insurance for a reason). It is operated on general insurance principles wherein employers pay the premium (not taxpayers). And regarding your comment on calling the highest corporate person...you're right. I should have called the CEO at 11:00PM when the emergency arose because it demands immediate attention. Oh wait...I don't have his number or know of anyone working in corporate at 11:00PM. RAs need support immediately, not the next day during 9-5...that is unacceptable based on DOH standards of providing quality of care to vulnerable adults. Thanks for your reply. It's showing all of us something here :)

You continue to over-react to my legitimate posts. I am only questioning what you are stating. You are the one that put it out there. I am only trying to find out what / why without strong details. I just find it hard to believe a community is being run this way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

JusSomGurl in Portland, Oregon

70 months ago

shmoopy in Mechanicsville, Virginia said: You continue to over-react to my legitimate posts. I am only questioning what you are stating. You are the one that put it out there. I am only trying to find out what / why without strong details. I just find it hard to believe a community is being run this way.

I apologize if you interpret my comments as an overreaction. That is not my intention. I can understand why you question all these posts, you've not experienced these things. All I ask is that you maintain an open mind to the numerous posts that express concerns. Surely, all these individuals are not lying. I'm sure they have better time to spend than to develop preposterous claims on some forum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Frenchy in Houston, Texas

67 months ago

WHERE IS TEXAS IN ALL THIS??? I, TOO, WORKED FOR A BROOKDALE FACILITY, AND IT WAS AND IS THE WORST!!! THE CARE ASSOCIATES ARE TREATED LIKE JANITORS AND THE KITCHEN IS ALWAYS FILTHY!!!! NEVER MIND ABOUT THE TOILETS~~~~HOUSEKEEPING DOESN'T KNOW THERE ARE ANY!!!! THEY ARE NEVER, NEVER CLEANED~~~AND IF YOU THINK IT HELPS TO GO HIGHER AND COMPLAIN, YOU BE MISTAKEN~~~THEY ALL STICK TOGETHER~~~MAKE YOU THINK THEY'RE ALL CONCERNED, WHEN IN FACT, THEY ARE JUST LAUGHING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK!!!! OH, YEAH~~IT ONLY TOOK ME THREE MONTHS TO "GET IT" AND QUIT!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Frenchy in Houston, Texas

67 months ago

HELLOOOOOOO!!!!! IS THAT AN ECHO???? WHERE DID EVERYBODY, ANYBODY GO????? COOOOOOMMMMMEEE BAAAAAACK!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shmoopy in Mechanicsville, Virginia

67 months ago

So Texas, what do you have to say?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

A daughter in Jacksonville, Florida

67 months ago

Yes, I heard you all. The extremely sad part is that most of you are employees or ex-employees. My mom is still in a Brookdale facility, though we have her on a waiting list for a not-for-profit. There seem to be two kinds of relatives - those who come often, see what is going on and transfer their loved ones as soon as possible, or those who like to come once a week or less often for a short period of time and keep the blinders on and assume that their parents/aunts/uncles and grandparents are being taken care of by a class outfit. PLEASE, PLEASE don't bother them unless there is an emergency. It makes one wonder; doesn't it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Frenchy in Houston, Texas

67 months ago

Unfortunately, looks like TEXAS is wimpy, wimpy, wimpy!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

shmoopy in Mechanicsville, Virginia

67 months ago

Of course everyone has different feelings and views. I will agree that there are two types of families. However, we cannot judge one or the other as we do not know what struggles one has as everyone is fighting one type of battle or another. Think about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

shmoopy in Mechanicsville, Virginia

67 months ago

what does that mean exactly?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

A daughter in Jacksonville, Florida

67 months ago

Mom's facility is licensed as a congregate care facility - 40 rooms. One LPN 7 am to 3 pm and one LPN 3 pm to 11 pm. Two CNAs per shift, who are also required to clean rooms, serve food, take care of patients, and bus tables. They had three EDs (executive directors?) in less than two years, with several months between. The most recent ED has been there several months now. There is not a single LPN who has been there the entire two years Mom has lived there and there is only two CNA's who have been there the entire time. They used to have the Alzheimer message on the phone, but have taken it off - probably stricter standards. Many of their patients ARE dementia patients and they have a key code door. I don't know, just keep hoping a room comes up at the not-for-profit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

A daughter in Jacksonville, Florida

67 months ago

Guess you could say that about companies too. Everyone does the best they can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

JusSomGurl in Portland, Oregon

67 months ago

A daughter in Jacksonville, Florida said: Yes, I heard you all. The extremely sad part is that most of you are employees or ex-employees. My mom is still in a Brookdale facility, though we have her on a waiting list for a not-for-profit. There seem to be two kinds of relatives - those who come often, see what is going on and transfer their loved ones as soon as possible, or those who like to come once a week or less often for a short period of time and keep the blinders on and assume that their parents/aunts/uncles and grandparents are being taken care of by a class outfit. PLEASE, PLEASE don't bother them unless there is an emergency. It makes one wonder; doesn't it?

God Bless you. Hang in there and the right door will open for your mother. If ever you have any concerns, pick up a local Florida Regulations book on facilities licensed as Housing with Services and review what should be happening there. It will outline the staffing ratios, admission requirements, Brookdale's responsibilities in caring for your mother and what you can do in the event you have a concern. Remember, you have a voice and an outlet without reprisal from the company. Your contact will be the Division of Health Quality Assurance and Alberta Granger, Unit Manager Assisted Living Unit at the Bureau of Long Term Care Services. Their job is to assist families and answer questions that you may have. Here is a link of everything you should know about your mother's rights while living in a Brookdale community in Florida: www.fdhc.state.fl.us/MCHQ/Long_Term_Care/Assisted_living/alf.shtml

If I can help or put you in contact with anyone, please do not hesitate to ask.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

JusSomGurl in Portland, Oregon

67 months ago

Educating the masses on Brookdale and their prior affiliates, I am inclined to include this article from Time Magazine and CNN regarding their operations:

www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,170025-2,00.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

JusSomGurl in Portland, Oregon

67 months ago

JusSomGurl in Portland, Oregon said: Educating the masses on Brookdale and their prior affiliates, I am inclined to include this article from Time Magazine and CNN regarding their operations:

www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0 ,9171,170025-2,00.html

I guess it would be helpful if I posted it correctly: This is the articel beginning with the first page.

www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,170025-1,00.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

JusSomGurl in Portland, Oregon

67 months ago

JusSomGurl in Portland, Oregon said: I guess it would be helpful if I posted it correctly: This is the articel beginning with the first page.

www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0 ,9171,170025-1,00.html

OK...the link is not linking. Copy and paste the entire address to view the report.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NW Mountainbiker in Tacoma, Washington

66 months ago

I've read the Time's article. It was dated 2001. I used to work for a Clare Bridge. We were lucky to have a caring, compassionate ED. She wasn't afraid to get on her hands and knees and scrub stains out of the carpet. She treated each resident with respect and kindness. She treated the staff the same way also. Unfortunately she retired. The ED who replaced her was all right but not an effective leader. Housekeeping became laxed, hallways started to smell because of incontinence, a few of the residents wore the same clothes. Turnovers were frequent. Wrong medications were passed out (rarely).

It's only a handful of residences that are inadequate. Unfortunately only the bad ones make the news.

It's easier to say that Brookdale's higher-ups should police it's own, but it won't happen. Profit is profit. The families who pay the bills should have strong voices on how their parents should be treated (with RESPECT and DIGNITY). You have choices. There are other assisted living facilities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Old ED in Asheville, North Carolina

66 months ago

JusSomGurl in Portland, Oregon said: God Bless you. Hang in there and the right door will open for your mother. If ever you have any concerns, pick up a local Florida Regulations book on facilities licensed as Housing with Services and review what should be happening there. It will outline the staffing ratios, admission requirements, Brookdale's responsibilities in caring for your mother and what you can do in the event you have a concern. Remember, you have a voice and an outlet without reprisal from the company. Your contact will be the Division of Health Quality Assurance and Alberta Granger, Unit Manager Assisted Living Unit at the Bureau of Long Term Care Services. Their job is to assist families and answer questions that you may have. Here is a link of everything you should know about your mother's rights while living in a Brookdale community in Florida: www.fdhc.state.fl.us/MCHQ/Long_Term_Care/Assisted_living/alf.shtml

If I can help or put you in contact with anyone, please do not hesitate to ask.

OK .... Here's the deal. Brookdale is a very bad company. Any employeer who is involved with so much employee suffering cannot produce and atmosphere where quality care can exist. They have the idea that because they have been able to finance enough money to buy everything in sight that they are the best in the industry. In fact in their case, scale has sucked the life out of the industry wherever they operate. The are the polluters of quality in every market in which they reside. The additional problem is that because they control so much of the for profit market/real estate they are responsible for the benchmark in communities throughout much of the nation. Because of their flaws, mostly necessary because of their need to universalize/standardize their product in order to control costs, this benchmark is being drawn down by the month. What they offer as programatic services fail because they rarely apply in the real world. They are a disgrac

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.